Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 917 total)
  • Brexit benefits – lets start a list
  • Cougar

The only Brexit benefit the brexiteers ever cared about was to avoid anti tax avoidance legislation coming into the Uk.

Aside from the puppet-masters, the only Brexit benefit the brexiteers ever cared about was fewer brown people.

dantsw13

Which is exactly the opposite of what Brexit actually brought……..

MoreCashThanDash

Unintended consequences are a bitch, eh?

Cougar

And exactly what we predicted would happen.

The uncomfortable truth in Brexiteerland is that the UK needs immigration. If we restrict immigration from one source then ipso facto it has to increase from another. This surely should have been blindingly obvious.

I used to live in an area with a large Asian population, if anything white people were a minority. They were great. Aside from a handful of teenage lads who thought they were gangstas from the hood there was a really strong sense of community, of neighbourly spirit and I miss it. But if your end goal was “fewer Pakistanis” then a vote for Leave was a truly stupid choice from the outset.

Cougar

Hey, wait. Is that the first real, actual brexit benefit?

It’s well documented that ladies and gentlemen (and others) of a swarthy complexion are over-represented in the NHS. Does that mean more Indian doctors, more Pakistani nurses, more Bangladeshi consultants, more Nepalese porters, etc etc?

frankconway

Irish reunification is a genuine Brexit benefit. If that can be handled peacefully over the next couple of decades it will be a lasting legacy long after we are all back in the EU anyway.

Brexit has done nothing to change the rate of progress towards Irish re-unification; both countries had been inching closer together and that will continue.

kilo
    flashpaul
    Free Member

not my list but there are some reasonable points

kelvin

When I click on that… I can’t see any benefits listed… is that the joke, or another “X is broken” thing?

flashpaul
    Free Member

Might need to be logged into X first

kelvin

Sod that. Can you give us the top three?

intheborders
    Free Member

The X Gully account is just a right-wing shill from my interactions with him/her/it.

Little they’ve posted previously stands up to scrutiny, pretty sure the Top 10 is no different.

somafunk

not my list but there are some reasonable points

If you consider those points reasonable then I have some magic beans I could sell you.

**** idiotic idea

benpinnick

From the Gully Account

From a trade deal perspective, the UK previously had access to around 43 active trade deals as part of EU membership – a membership that, as one of the largest net contributors it paid billions each year for.

The UK has replicated all but 3 of these (Bosnia, Montenegro, Algeria) and no longer has to pay the EU a subscription fee to access any of them.

True, but I would suspect the loss of trading preference with the EU (aka the free market) dwarfs the value of the trade deals so its a question of did the (net) costs outweight the benefits.

Since leaving the EU, the UK has improved the rolled over deals with Japan, Singapore and Ukraine – and is in the process of improvement with Canada, Mexico, Switzerland and Israel.

As well as striking completely new deals with Australia and New Zealand, the UK is also close to completion on FTA negotiations with India and the six-nation GCC – all not possible within the EU.

Its out of date clearly as we’ve abandoned the talks on a trade deal with Canada, but either way its basically the same point as the first.

By leaving the EU, the UK has been able to align with those markets projecting the highest growth over the coming decades (the so-called Indo-Pacific tilt), as opposed to being tied to a bloc projected to see declining relevance and stagnation.

UK CPTPP accession was signed earlier this year, with ratification expected by Q4 2024.

Projecting and achieving growth are not the same thing, and its all relative to your starting point. Also as a net importer of goods unless these deals have some killer financial/services element we can trade to make us money, then so what? Having a trade deal with most of these countries won’t do much for anyone in the UK.

Its all sort of marginal stuff. For example item 8:

In April this year the UK put into place its Developing Countries Trading Scheme (DCTS), which has seen the UK able to provide aid through encouraging trade with 65 developing nations across the globe – going further than EU GSP+ and EBA schemes.

This was simply not possible to do from within the EU.

Sounds great, and its technically true, but actually there’s a 3 tier EU scheme for the exact same 65 countries, so you need to say things like ‘going further than’ if you want to skirt around the fact that the ‘benefit’ is that it could be changed without asking the EU, rather than looking too hard at whether its really a benefit to anyone at all.

Cougar

It’s no longer supported, but Thread Reader still works with a bit of URL walking.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1712076301379530967.html

kelvin

Some old favourites in there… like Freeports… we only didn’t have them because we didn’t want or need them… we had the international investment without needing locations where our laws and taxes can be circumvented… now we’re hoping to try and regain investment interest lost thanks to Brexit by letting large multi-nationals operate their own little thiefdoms without the responsibility to the UK that they’d have if they were located elsewhere in mainland Britain.

zomg

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/14/brexit-tackle-politics-children-football

Have we done the “Brexit Tackle”?

I did a Brexit and all I got was this vicious mockery in the form of absurdist comedy.

theotherjonv

Came here to post that. How brilliant.

somafunk

Good interview with Gary Stevenson on Politics Joe regarding money/brexit

avdave2

Surely a Brexit tackle would be taking out one of your own side.

Better still a Brexit goal when you put the ball in your own net.

BruceWee

I’m definitely incorporating ‘Brexit means Brexit’ into my riding somehow.

I can’t decide whether I should use it as a war cry for when I’m about to do a sketchy drop with a dodgy unsighted landing or should it be a small pathetic whimper after I’ve crashed into a tree after failing to land said drop.

Or both.

timmys

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/14/brexit-tackle-politics-children-football

I heard my 10yr old talking about “Brexit means Brexit” tackles with his mates when kicking a ball around. Until I saw that article this morning I had no idea the term was widespread.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m definitely incorporating ‘Brexit means Brexit’ into my riding somehow.

Falling over clipped in?

mattyfez

Hahah!

Capture

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Having started this post ages ago I didn’t expect to have to scroll through nearly 800 posts to find out the list wasn’t very long.

Brexit Benefits
    1) A slight smile and resigned shrug when kids playing football shout ‘Brexit means Brexit’ meaning they are going to do something stupid.
    2) Err.. do I have to filter through the 20 pages to find the other one or can someone remind me?

Cougar

There are plenty of benefits. Just not for us. The tax dodgers get to dodge more tax and the rest of the EU gets shot of a whiny pissant country with ideas above its station. It’s also been great for non-EU immigration and there’s been a slight uptick in trade with countries no-one’s ever heard of on the other side of the planet.

The rest of us are just collateral damage. Price worth paying, crown mark on pints, god save the queen. New 50p?

birky
    Free Member
    Defra officials buried analysis showing dire financial prospects for hill farmers
    FOI request reveals fears many would sell up if they saw assessment of post-Brexit farming payments scheme
    kelvin

As I’ve been saying for a while… the new schemes provide money for landowners, not farmers.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

god save the queen.

Worked out as well as the rest of Brexit.

molgrips
    Free Member

A slight smile and resigned shrug when kids playing football shout ‘Brexit means Brexit’ meaning they are going to do something stupid.

Apparently the ‘Brexit Tackle’ means launching a reckless challenge, hurting yourself, and not getting the ball.  Heh.

matt_outandabout

What a surprise that having one of our countries in a halfway no man’s land wild restrict decisions we could take without affecting the neighbours.
    I’m waiting for the first Tory to suggest we get rid of NI from the Union as a solution…
    https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/07/vat-threshold-for-uk-businesses-limited-by-eu-rules-hunt-admits-privately

kelvin

Good spot Matt.

Under the terms of the Northern Ireland protocol and the Windsor framework negotiated by Rishi Sunak, the UK must respect the EU’s €100,000 VAT threshold when setting VAT rules in Northern Ireland. This is so that businesses in Northern Ireland do not have a tax advantage over EU businesses, ensuring a “level playing field”.

intheborders
    Free Member

Funny, I read the story this morning and thought of this thread.

Is a Brexit Benefit, not taking back control?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

only if you don’t give it back hoping no one will notice

nickc

So to sum Brexit benefits are:

Doing “freeports” but we didn’t need them before, hurriedly replicating trade deals that we had before, but actually finding that we can’t. vis India/ Canada. Finding that because we physically still border the EU, we don’t have anything like the room to manoeuvre that was hoped for, despite that being known right from the get-go.

Cool, cool

matt_outandabout

only if you don’t give it back hoping no one will notice

What if you Northern Ireland was only ever a mythical construct to the brexiteers?

Schrodinger’s country.

BillOddie

Ireland (borders/GFA/etc) was always going to be the where Brexit Fantasy would come crashing into Reality.  It was obvious to anyone who was paying attention this would be the case even before the referendum.

But you know “we will hold all the cards”, “german car manufacturers” “sovrintee”

smiffy

Recognition of CE marking (therefore effectively abandoning UKCA marking) is up to 21 product groups from 18, and will be 22 shortly.

A slow drip-drip so it doesn’t make the headlines because “UK Gives Up Trying to Implement it’s Own Conformity Mark” isn’t a good look.

MoreCashThanDash

Isn’t it obvious?

alpin
    Free Member

Found a company in the UK who has the parts/kit to service my diesel stove. Very few companies in Europe seem to stock it.

Was proposing that they send it to me and the guy just cut me off saying it was too much paperwork for them.

Well done, UK. 🇬🇧

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.