Viewing 40 posts - 13,401 through 13,440 (of 13,637 total)
  • Brexit 2020+
  • Poopscoop

^^ Just been reading up.

Apparently manufacturer can choose which to use…

Now,i bet we know which one they will choose and it won’t be UKCA.😂

What an absolute and expensive farce! I bet there must be some companies tearing their hair out over this government’s latest, time consuming and money consuming mistake.

What an absolute bad joke this government is.

Klunk
    Free Member

when dogma meets reality.

somafunk

Why loyalists/utter cretinous dickheads voted for brexit

reluctantjumper

EU food checks delayed for a fifth time for imports.

Pain for our businesses exporting but making it easy for imports to flow in. So much for the trade deficit.

Klunk
    Free Member

Brexit the gift that keeps on giving. Why wouldn’t they want to come here ?

Edukator
    Free Member

Are there any figures for the numbers of people in the categories leaving, Klunk ?

The expected brain drain of EU nationals happened but was compensated by UK nationals returning to the UK.

Brexit vote did not increase brain drain from the UK, study finds

Britain is becoming isolated and insular, it still has talent but that talent is cut of from many international projects and the intellectuals are intellectually poorer for it. People who might want to work in the UK don’t because it’s expensive, complicated and they don’t feel welcome. Likewise UK nationals have understood that unless they are in a few highly saleable professions they are no longer wanted in the EU, Australia, the US… .

doomanic

What’s Brexit got to do with Australia and the US?

Edukator
    Free Member

Picky, picky… think about it. International businesses employ people on the basis of the power of their passport and where they can travel and work visa free. Brits used to be able to cover Europe visa free but no-longer can.

kilo

Much as I hate Brexit that smacks of jambafacts 😉
    Mrs Kilo regularly recruits for her company’s NY office from their UK and EU pool of staff and the criteria is can one do the work d get a US visa. The ability to travel without a visa to the EU (and they have business across the EU) is not a consideration as they are there to work in the US. They have also had no significant issues with UK citizens getting US visas either.

onehundredthidiot

I declared years ago that I wouldn’t have a blue passport. So my Irish application is completed and sent then stalled because it needs a customs declaration thanks to Brexit.

Thanks to the an post worker who sent it on its way regardless.

intheborders
    Free Member

Mrs Kilo regularly recruits for her company’s NY office from their UK and EU pool of staff and the criteria is can one do the work d get a US visa. The ability to travel without a visa to the EU (and they have business across the EU) is not a consideration as they are there to work in the US. They have also had no significant issues with UK citizens getting US visas either.

If I was recruiting now for the jobs I & my team did 1995-2015 (FTSE100 companies with multiple EU, and overseas subs) I’d now recruit EU Nationals not Brits – based in the UK too.

It’d be too easy for a Brit to run out of time in the EU but an EU National gets twice as long in the UK.  Even better if they were EU Nationals with  UK Settlement rights.  And the UK is just 1 country, vs 27.

kilo

It’d be too easy for a Brit to run out of time in the EU but an EU National gets twice as long in the UK.

I don’t think it’s that simple, to come and actually work in the UK for a UK company, an EU national (without prior rights) needs formal permission to work in UK, much like an UK citizen working in EU.

I’m not defending Brexit it’s monumentally stupid and harmful.

Edukator
    Free Member

Much as I hate Brexit that smacks of jambafacts

🙂

🤐

intheborders
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s that simple, to come and actually work in the UK for a UK company, an EU national (without prior rights) needs formal permission to work in UK, much like an UK citizen working in EU.

These were FTSE100 companies with subs across Europe, consequentially people would be ’employed’ by a local business, but working across the business – so working out of London I ’employed’ folk in France, Germany, Spain etc, but we all worked across Europe (and the RoW).

And the EU citizen can come to the UK for twice as long as we can go to ANY of the EU country’s.

kilo

Im sorry I don’t really get your point in relation to Ed’s assertion.

And the EU citizen can come to the UK for twice as long as we can go to ANY of the EU country’

Has Ireland left the EU then? 😉

dudeofdoom

And the EU citizen can come to the UK for twice as long as we can go to ANY of the EU country’s.

I like how Brexit favours eu nationals,no messing about with that 90/180 days nonsense it’s an easy 6 months max then home then pop over whenever you want to start the next 6 months and no issue with having your driving licence recognised 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

more dismal news from Brexit Briton don’t know about culture wars but this is certainly a war on our culture.

kelvin

Tours get extended. Why employ someone who can’t commit to more than 3 months?

binners

Yet another reason why this whole thing has been a celebration of ignorance and the triumph of stupidity

tjagain

When those checks come in its goong to be a clusterfarage

mattyfez

Christ.

It keeps getting kicked into the long grass with ‘delays‘ as the UK administration hasn’t got a clue how to deal with it, which technically is a fair position, as I can’t see any way how to square that circle either.

It’s going to be a right stinking mess. Maybe the tories should call a GE so they can as least attempt to deflect some blame for the approaching shit storm.

tjagain

I suspect they will continue to delay it until after the election given its going to increase food prices

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

clusterfarage

Deserves attention.

Incidentally, has that other thread figured out any actual benefits yet?

molgrips
    Free Member

“We are reflecting on the valuable feedback provided by a range of businesses and industry stakeholders and will publish the border target operating model shortly.”

Bit late to start listening now, isn’t it?

politecameraaction
    Free Member

clusterfarage

🎩

avdave2

You’d really think the Tories would be keen to control the food stuff coming over our borders given they’ve seen the damage a single lettuce can do

kelvin

So, Sunak bragging about removing monitoring and protection for river waters as a benefit (for developers) of not being in the EU.

mattyfez

I can see the tory line already..

We need more houses, so we are going to throw all the environmental rules out of the window and only really build a few super expensive houses on flood planes and green belts.

hash tag delivering.

kelvin

Pretty much it.

Meanwhile, it’s now April 2024 before we introduce physical import checks on food imports from the EU… a fifth delay announced today. Leave it for Labour to try and sort it… and when/if they do the Tories can then claim they’ve betrayed the Brexit dream…?

mattyfez

We’re gonna have to re-join the EU customs union at some point soon, in some form or another, it’s just basic maths.

It might be dressed up as some kind of special deal, and to be honest, it will be a very ‘special’ deal.

We’ve royally **** ourselves. Or should I say 51% of the UK has **** itself.

Theres a 49ish% chance that whoever you meet in the UK isn’t a total throbber.

kelvin

This is more a single market issue than a customs union one… aligning with the single market on food and agriculture to reduce checks is going to have to happen. I’d like something done about customs as well… SMEs in the UK are being screwed by being outside the CU… but that’s not what the food checks would be about (if they ever happen in full… but that depends on the next general election).

mattyfez

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/29/nhs_fdp_palantir_lockin/

This is pretty concerning too, but not supprising.

mattyfez

one comentor said:

Has this deal been audited by NCA or other organisation or are we waiting for “lessons will be learned” moment in a classic British fashion?

Can’t wait to buy my medical records on DarkNet, it will probably be quicker than getting them from my GP.

And they wouldn’t be wrong.

It would be nice to think that brexit is because of racist alcohilcs in wetherspoons, but they are just pawns with a voting card, It’s actually very big business.

frankconway

Both Open Democracy and Foxglove are actively and vocally opposed to the proposed Palantir deal.
    I’m on their mailing lists and am a financial supporter.
    I would stringly suggest anyone reading this to check out both; if you like what you see, sign up; donate if you can.
    In my view, we need them more then we know.

binners

It would be nice to think that brexit is because of racist alcohilcs in wetherspoons, but they are just pawns with a voting card, It’s actually very big business

We’ve already seen the government tearing up EU environmental standards so that water companies, property developers and house builders can make even more profit and sod the water quality for us mugs! And that will be the direction of travel until this lot are booted out

This was always the plan

Not long now before the Freeport’s are up and running to the delight of tax dodgers and money launderers around the world

intheborders
    Free Member

That Palantir deal

That’s a ‘minor’ issue I reckon compared to what we (and no doubt the next Govt) will find hidden in the various trade deals the Tories have signed…

binners

This takes some beating for Orwellian Doublespeak

intheborders
    Free Member

Hold the front page, there’s a benefit!

Removal of equal pay – back to the 70’s, full speed while imagining what else has been removed and not yet noticed…

Also note that they’re saying it’ll be put back using “secondary legislation” – that is legislation that is put in without going through Parliament, and can be removed just as easily.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/aug/30/women-still-have-right-to-equal-pay-says-uk-government-despite-scrapping-of-eu-law

dudeofdoom

That removing woman’s equal pay rights via a sunset clause is pretty frightening ,they either decided to try and do it or it was incompetence.

Either doesn’t look good,probably worth reading thru all the others to see what else ‘accidentally’ might disappear.

And the use of secondary legislation so they can now just enable/disable an eu law without parliament on a whim.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,401 through 13,440 (of 13,637 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.