Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 398 total)
  • Brant and On One
  • superstu
    Free Member

back in the day this would have been big news on here, but think that says more about the forum than On One…

had an email saying Brant is back…some classics being reworked by the sounds of it. Was a fan of their hard tails in the past but would like more reach than the current crop offer. Would love to see something like an aggressive 29 hardtail, or a 650b+ offering.

rene59
    Free Member

Too many bad experiences with on one customer service to consider shopping with them again regardless who has joined them.

singlespeedstu

back in the day this would have been big news on here

Things change.

If on one or Brant have anything relevent to offer i’m sure they’ll change again.

I think it says more about you than anything.😜

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

650b all-road v6 Il-Pompino!?

bigjim

long slack light 29er hardtail please Brant k thx bye x

Northwind

After all the time On One have spent destroying their brand it’ll take more than a poll on their facebook to get back in my good books. Brant’s a great designer but what On One needs is basically a total reboot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They had their time, selling good value hardtails suited to British riding, when there weren’t that many other options.

More like sports direct of MTB now tbh.

jekkyl

Has he run out of cash spending it making fancy trousers?

chestrockwell

If you want a Brant bike buy a Stif Morf. What’s he thinking going back to the empty hole that On One has become?

I imagine trouser town, or trouser sort of town type area with a bit of other towns thrown in isn’t as lucrative as first thought.

lister

A small range of decent kids and small adults mountain bikes at on one prices please.

coomber
    Free Member

all a bit harsh

If they made the parkwood again but boost, 4 or 5 inches longer and 3 degrees slacker id buy one.

Ditto the dee dar. 430mm reach in large!

chevychase

I was in the market for one a few years back for my missus’ first mountain bike.  Was working in Barnsley and went into their store a few times.  The attitude of the staff pretty much settled me on buying her the canyon she eventually got – which has been great.

Shame really.

If Brant can whack out a great bike (he can), and they can sort out their staff issues, then…

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve a lot of time for Brant, always found him helpful on here. Always liked his bikes but maybe not his trousers 🤔

I’m sure oo and px will release his bike at full rrp and then randomly change the price.

Im in the market for a new mile munching 29er rigid bike with the option for plus tyres.  I’m not that fond of the brand but I love a bargain. I’ve had some great bargains from them in the past.

One if my favourite bikes ever was an on one Scandal.

Good luck to him. Maybe this is the only place he can get his wierd and whacky ideas built? Everyone else plays it too safe and he doesn’t want to risk his own money? 😁

Cheezpleez

Long, low, slack 180mm travel adventure enduro penny farthing with drum brakes and a walnut dashboard. I’m in

singlespeedstu

If they made the parkwood again but boost, 4 or 5 inches longer and 3 degrees slacker id buy one.

So a totally different frame then.😂

jekkyl

Moleskin saddle?

epicyclo

If you’re not a bike snob this is good news.

If you want a decent good handling bike for getting muddy and don’t feel the need to pay an extra few hundred pounds for American advertorial this is good news.

If you don’t want to pay a few hundred extra for arse-licking customer service this is good news.

And if this means a Pompino that will take 50mm tyres for gravel use, it’s effing great news. (Proper 700c, not midget wheels please 🙂 )

MrSmith
    Free Member

Who?

PolisherMan

So has he left Hebtroco, or just moonlighting?

stumpy01

Who?

Ronnie Pi….oh, wait a minute. That’s not right….

mickmcd
    Free Member

So has he left Hebtroco, or just moonlighting?

With Bruce or Cybil?

It all went to his head when they named a Canadian city after him

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you want a decent good handling bike for getting muddy and don’t feel the need to pay an extra few hundred pounds for American advertorial this is good news.

If you don’t want to pay a few hundred extra for arse-licking customer service this is good news.

I’ll rewrite that.

If you want a superficially decent (but soon reveals shoddy workmanship, lazy design with multiple flaws) reasonably handling bike (as the design was copied off someone else) for getting semi muddy (as the paint rusts and falls off at the first sign of water) and don’t feel the need to pay slightly more for something which a blind person hasn’t built then they are great

If you don’t want to pay a few hundred extra for arse-licking customer service then you don’t have to as a lot of other shops and manufacturers can provide polite service for no extra money as they realise it doesn’t cost anything.

I realised after 3 on-one/px (they dont deserve capitalisation) bikes what utter crocks of crap they were and promised to never darken their doors again – I won’t even buy a tyre from their website. Most other companies can do cheap stuff which is also well designed, well made and well supported and so I buy those now.

mcnultycop

I miss my 26er Scandal. Such a great bike.

Raw too, so didn’t have any paintwork issues.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Was Brant part of (or all of) the design team for the alpkit Sonder bikes?

i quite like the look of those. Also liked my steel 456 and my ti 456. But I bought both second hand so didn’t ever delve into warranty. Not that I had reason to.

I would think he’ll be in and out in 3 months and on one will carry on with their sports direct business model.

cookeaa

And if this means a Pompino that will take 50mm tyres for gravel use, it’s effing great news. (Proper 700c, not midget wheels please

A Pompetamine reboot and a kaffenback that can take wider tyres would make sense for the gravelists now, and a 29er/27+ 456-alike in carbon, everyone is doing LLS steel frames, and of course an updated scandal…

Basically, slim the range down, lose some of the bought out brands perhaps, play on all the old favourites, and then differentiate by materials (and pricing of course)…

Thinking about it, OO/PX did a lot of the things that are now in fashion quite a while before they became fashionable… Then things sort of went down the shitter a bit.

loughor
    Free Member

My tuppence worth. Love my 456 ti evo and steel 456 evo, the latter of which I bought to replace a broken full suss frame when in UK.

Brants return has caused a buzz at least, let’s hope he can help them improve

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Brant has designed some good frames. The QC of said frames (Morf & Sonder excluded) left a lot to be desired. If you got a good one they were good, most didn’t though!

On One’s elaborate bullshit price matrix and comedy RRP’s are beyond my sense of humour. Hence I often contemplated purchasing stuff but in the end never did.

Clever business model that, maybe it’s a slow burner! relieved me of zero pounds to date though.

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Love my 456, bloody great bike and caused me no bother in five years of regular use and sporadic care. My Dirty Disco is a dream too, don’t like the lack of lawyer lugs on the fork and limited clamp area for the rear wheel but otherwise faultless and has helped me down ludicrous trails and up spirit breaking road climbs alike.

Having worked in R&D depts I’ve seen how design teams don’t necessarily have much input to the QC side of things. If I understand correctly it was his lack of satisfaction on that front that led to at least one of the previous separations, I guess he’s confident he can effect a positive change on that front this time? Else he’s short of cash coz not many folk buy trousers at £100 a pop and doesn’t care.

Reduce the range, stop with the stupid names (Space Chicken!?!), Improve QC, and build that wide clearance Kaff I asked for 7 years ago please

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Else he’s going to sell his trousers at affordable prices?

superstu
    Free Member

QC on some frames was poor, but I still see plenty of 456 and inbred frames 10+ years on, so they weren’t all bad. Never had a scandal but they were much loved as well.

Appreciate things move on but as per sonder and the Stif Morf, he knows how to design a decent frame so I hope we see some interesting things from them.

Not giving OO a free ride by the way, I’ve had some poor service from them in the past albeit they’ve come good with (enough) calls etc

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Sounds like poor brant might be suffering from battered wife syndrome. Could be time for an intervention.

dudeofdoom

Well some poor sods gotta design the on one e-bike :-p

Brant,Brant,Brant.

funkmasterp

He should just make a homage to the Stif Morf or a full suss Morf-a-like. What happened to the bike firm he set up a couple of years ago? He always comes across as a nice bloke on here and seemed to double up as On One customer support too.

ratherbeintobago

What happened to the bike firm he set up a couple of years ago?

Was that the one crowdsourcing their ideas? Ragley was him too, IIRC, which led to some very… niche product.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with on one and I’ve bought loads. Had a pompino ,456 a few inbred a kaff a creaky lurcher  and an rt57 perhaps more as I’m a serial bike swapper all bike were great apart from lurcher creaking , sizing of clothes is sometimes odd as is the pricing structure but as long as you know that then no bother. Also had a ragley a ride with brant and love upside-down Mary bars. Oh I’ve just realised I’m a fan-boi haha

NormalMan

I reckon there would be a Zak Tempest limited edition frame released. 😉

greyspoke
    Free Member

The trousers weren’t long, low and slack either.  I loved the cut of my Scandal.

hardtailonly

Hoping for good things.

My personal experience of OO/PX has been pretty good overall, owned a 45650b which was a cracker, have an Inbred built up as a SS which I like (old frame, not too heavy, nice & springy!) and have been hugely impressed with my Pickenflick.

Customer service a bit ‘meh’ at times of late, but nothing I’ve been dissatisfied with overall.

I’m not keen on their business model, which seems to be about acquiring / resurrecting a whole bunch of brands (and a Brant in this case 😁) and think there is a lot of confusion and overlap in their multiple offerings (how many CX bikes? At least 3 Ti ‘gravel’ offerings. 45650b /DeeDar … What’s the difference there?) Think they would do better to simplify and focus on offering decent value, reasonable quality bikes backed up by reliable customer service. Suspect the company is too big and corporate now for Brant to have much influence over that, but so long as he has a free hand to design some sorted bikes, that’s got to be a good thing.

Wonder whether his time out from bike design (apart from the Sonder/Stiff dabbling) has given him a chance to stand back, see things afresh and come back in with some innovative ideas?

Come on Brant … You must be following this thread … can we bait you to give us some inside information? 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

My C456 served me well. Not a fault with it. Except it’s not 650b.

I asked about a C45650b, but told it wasn’t happening (might have been Brant but on the cusp of leaving). Maybe now it can happen.

Though I’ve moved on and don’t need one really.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Zak tempest I am sure I remember he had a big frank sidebotton head on at a Nemba race in the early 90s At Middlesbrough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘Brant and On One’ is closed to new replies.