Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 398 total)
  • Brant and On One
  • PJay
    Free Member

My Wife’s Scandal is a lovely bike and I liked my first Inbred. I had a real issue with the silly chainstay design of the limited edition 853 anniversary Inbred (minimal clearance on a 50mm chainline and no chance on 47.5mm which was common at the time) and chainsuck. I didn’t appreciate the “If you don’t like it you can always hit it with a hammer” approach to customer service.

BadlyWiredDog

Was Brant part of (or all of) the design team for the alpkit Sonder bikes?

He did the early ones – the original Transmitter for example, which is ace – I think they’re now designing solely in-house. Really good people to deal with ime. I like Brant’s bikes. I still have a Ragley Ti and I bought a Transmitter as well.

I don’t have anything against On One, but the bizarrely yo-yoing prices are like something out of a TV game show. You have to press the button at the right time or risk the price decreasing/increasing by 100% next day.

russyh
    Free Member

Well I have been burnt like the rest with OO customer service,  but if they release anew 456 with modern twist at a good price, then likelihood is they will have my money.

really want a 650b steel hardtail with slack/low geo. Just don’t want to spend a fortune as it will likely be a winter basher

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve owned a geared inbred, a scandal and a team alu road bike and loved them all. I must admit the whole on one/ px seems a dog’s dinner with it’s ever changing prices, quality issues, poor customer service and confusing range with all the in-house brands. But if he revamps a pig iron inbred 650b with modern angles then I would be up for that. I’m pretty sure everything will be boost, so for a time and cash limited serial frame changer like me, it will probably all pass me by. But in fairness that’s probably me not having the cash or interest to keep up with the bike industry anymore, rather than on one. I hope Brant can breath a bit of life back into the company, good luck to him.

psling
    Free Member

stop with the stupid names

Isn’t that kind of where OO came in though; they started with “stupid names”! I mean, come on… Pompino, Inbred were names of their era. OK, maybe not pc these days but still fun in a schoolboy humour kind of way.

nickc

Really great news!

Can’t wait to see what comes out of his brain this time. His take on the whole Long slack low thing could be a thing of genius.

DT78
    Free Member

they need to reduce the range and focus on a few bikes in each discipline.  Well spec’ d and decent value or start offering rolling chassis builds, I don’t want selcoff tat or what ever random not matching kit they fit to bikes these days.

also agree ditch the stupid names and bad paintjobs.  ditch the ridiculous pricing yo yo.  ditch the sportspursuit model.  improve the website so it works better and just bin half the old stock no one will buy.

maybe offer the option to custom paint or a couple of colours to keep costs down

I’ve never bought a bike from them was very close with the tt and still debating deep section wheels from them (they just aren’t cheap enough to buy basically without warranty)  the other stuff I’ve bought from them has all turned up quickly and been perfectly ok.  so no customer service issues for me but the horror stories have really put me off

akira

Always liked Brants bikes although it seems the brantsignal doesn’t work on the new forum.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Offspring has a Scandal that we picked up for him second hand. Been a belting little bike and if there was a new version I would consider getting him another when he needs a bigger size.

breadcrumb

I enjoyed my 456 evo II, my only dabble with OO for a frame. BB threads weren’t great but thev rest of the frame was tidy for the money.

Which was the last bike Brant designed for them?

funkmasterp

Was the Codeine the last Brant bike?

brant
    Free Member

Last projects were:-

codiene 650b

parkwood 650b and 29

london Road (Px)

45650b

fatty trail

knuckleball bars

Cut gate (didn’t make production)

cxxx (didn’t make production)

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got a pompetamine, inbred and parkwood. I’ve had a 456 and another inbred. All great bikes to ride.

OO/PX have gone down hill in recent years. Be good to see on-one producing well designed bikes for UK riding again. Not in a Brexit way mind, more that we don’t have ski lifts and dusty trails (normally) and tend to play around in the woods and on bridleways.

weeksy

Spent 3 hours on my Parkwood 29 today, still a brilliant HT. Had it 3 years now and it barely has a stone chip on it despite 9000 miles on it.

Welcome back Brant.

I bought tyres from on one this week, I clicked, paid, they arrived 2 days later, what’s the issue?

breadcrumb

C’mon Brant, give us a teaser!

epicyclo

newrobdob

…I realised after 3 on-one/px (they dont deserve capitalisation) bikes what utter crocks of crap they were and promised to never darken their doors again…

My experience is 3 Pompinos. One for me and one each for the kids. Daughter outgrew hers, but the others are in regular use and now well over 12 years old and have all their paint.

An extremely versatile bike. Mine has done two 125 mile day rides in the last month faultlessly and comfortably at audax pace. Its all been taken on a fairly robust ride offroad on part of the HT550 route. Again faultless and good handling.

Anyone who has ridden the Orrin Dam route will appreciate that you don’t get a bike to this point if it’s crap.

My Scandal was my bike of choice for mtb for many years and again was good handling. It was the black anodised model and its finish is still good. The only reason I’m not riding it at the moment is because I bought a TD-1…

wwaswas

brant – if that jonesalike frame where the seat stays morphed into the top tube without being welded to the seat tube is still about is love to know how it rides!

brant
    Free Member

wwaswas, that (Cut Gate) was sold of in a staff sale a few months ago. Owner, no longer with the company, tagged me on Instagram. He loves it.

mooman
    Free Member

Brant – if we are putting in requests; I`d be happy to buy a disc braked version of the Ragley Cragvale please … and able to fit up to 30mm tyres.

damascus
    Free Member

Brant, please don’t forget the 6ft3 plus group and just do small, medium and large.

Any thoughts on a remake of the Scandal in raw? Thanks

nuke

Got time for Brant & his designs but no fan of OO /PX brand anymore. So we’ll see…still on my Scandal 29er so in no rush

scotroutes

I’ve had two Inbreds, a Scandal 29er, two Brant-era Ragleys and I’m currently the proud owner of a custom Pact that Brant helped realise for me.

But there’s no way the lieing, cheating, dishonest crooks at OO/PX will ever see any business from me. I’ve more self-respect than that.

scotroutes

Grr

winston
    Free Member

You know what they say..the two happiest days of a man’s life are the day he buys an on one

And the day he sells it

Mattbike

The Pompino I had was a great bike wish I hadn’t sold it and wish I’d got the disc version. Would look at buying one if they were back in stock. Titus are great bikes I love my elguapo and my fireline. Titus just needed to be marketed better by OO.

dudeofdoom

You know what they say..the two happiest days of a man’s life are the day he buys an on one

And the day he sells iT

Good WOWS quote there 🙂

dmorts

On One has completely lost its way in terms of the bikes it offers. Contrast them with Alpkit/Sonder, each bike they launch makes me consider n+1

newrobdob
    Free Member

My experience is 3 Pompinos.

Mine is

a) 100mm travel inbred, first of the own tubing (DN6?) rangr

b) 853 inbred

c) PX Kaffenback

Riding friends have had:

a) white inbred x 3

b) 853 inbred

c) kaffenbak x2

d) carbon 456 x2

i don’t think any of the people who owned any of the above would buy another OO/PX.

Only person I know who still rides his has a PX carbon time trial bike which he was bought as a present.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

My list of oo bikes

early fully rigid Inbred for road use and for Mrs

steel 456 x 2 just tin see what the steel hardtail fuss was about

ti lynskey 456 the nicest hardtail iv owned lovely bike

s ragly mmbop bit heavy and stiff for my kind of relationship doing (this was b4 the ti bike)

on one parkwood it’s done absolutely miles. Bike packing winter some big lakes descents still own it but it looks well used.

I fancied a ti fireline for ages but would look for something that has bolt through axle and clearance for B+ tyres now.

All of mine were second hand so I didn’t ever deal with the oo customer service dpt

agree the crap names gairish paint schemes and flaky paint do put me off a bit now.

Mans why kill off your big names ?? Look at mini bmw knew what a know brand is.

The 456 , scandal etc were known and loved

not so the deedar and spacechicken

RustyNissanPrairie

I cannot express how much I hate this company and cant for the life of me understand why anyone would buy from them. They are nothing more than brand whores buying any now defunct brand name that once stood for something good and slapping on a frame named and coloured by primary school children.

Once the ‘marketing dept’ is signed off on whatever inane shit name it comes up with its then emailed out to some shit hole chinese company with its falling off approach to QC. Its then punted out on a random yo-yoing pricing structure for some lucky punters to then discover the QC fails.

I’d rather not ride at all than than have to ride anything from ‘insertwhateverbrandnameboughthere’. In fact **** it – i’d rather ride an ebike, thats how much hate I have for the company.

DaveT
    Free Member

Had an inbred, the old white one, pretty much the only people offering something of that ilk at he time and rather liked it

As people say, the range has gone a bit nuts since, and somehow lost a bit of that charm.

Personally I’ve always had a good experience with them.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I cannot express how much I hate this company and cant for the life of me understand why anyone would buy from them.

+10000

I also can not understand how they’ve managed to gain apologists for their crap QC. When that issue with the seatpost fitting came up (London road frame?) people on here were saying “what’s the fuss, it’s a cheap frame, what do you expect?” – WTF????? Just because something is cheap doesn’t mean if it is unfit for purpose you should just cope with it. I bought a Handsome Dog frame once for £75 (all terrain bike shop own brand) and I’ve only just built it up (had it for years as a frame). Nicely made, everything straight and everything fits well, paint is good quality too. There is no excuse for crap QC at the On-One prices.

Then we have the appalling customer service from them (AND Brant who a few years ago knew about the crap design features on his bikes but didn’t do anything about it with his newer frames – it’s not just the company On-One that is to blame) and that is enough from me. I’ll do what I can to make sure no-one buys anything from them again. I don’t have to exaggerate or tell lies about my experiences, they speak for themselves and I know others have had identical issues so I’m not on my own.

And this is added to the numerous times they’ve tried to deny people their consumer rights – I hope they go out of business.

mattsccm
    Free Member

1)Whats wrong with buying names that are dying? I’d rather see Holdsworth alive in some ones hands than gone. Good business surely?

2) Customer service has been crap for many but how many like me have had a better than expected experience? Some surely.

3) Chinese buying? Why not ? They are not the only ones. Ribble for example.

4. Silly names. WTF? Its a name,  who is pathetic enough to  care about a name? Better than many, Trek for example. At least the names are funny.

PX serves a purpose. You’ll know when it gets it wrong, they’ll shut.

johnnystorm

It all depends on the level of death a brand has gone through. Nothing worse than a firm saying “since whenever” when I know that literally nothing but the logo has any connection with the original company or its employees. Not sure if PX do this with Holdsworth but the mystique (model name from yesteryear) looks identical to a Tifosi Cavazzo. At least Tifosi have done their bit to build up a brand and not just claim a link to the past.

Fwiw I’ve had both sorts of OO/PX customer service and Brant being back is a positive imho, cheap and cheerful original designs appeal to me a lot more than rebadged open mould bikes.

Northwind

The reason On One/PX bought so many respected names wasn’t anything to do with saving them; it was so they could trade on the goodwill for a while, while delivering standard On One shitty service and products. Tomac’s the best example of this, compare that with Saracen…

flaps
    Free Member

I liked my 45650b but it rarely gets used now I’ve a full suss.

I thought they were going under after the local Barnsley store closed?

duckman

Gary Fisher and Keith Bontrager could join them and I still wouldn’t put a penny their way. Took them three attempts to send the correct rear mech hanger out to me. On the third time the a-hole on the customer disservice line told me that he couldn’t next day it, even though it meant I couldn’t take my own bike on a long planned holiday. My bad for assuming the mech hanger for a dirty disco on their website actually fitted a dirty disco.

ElShalimo

@Brant – did you design the Sonder Camino?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Just done 130km on my 29er Inbred this morning. Frame and its paint still going strong. No signs of corrosion. Cost £130 new. Can’t say fairer than that.

brant
    Free Member

> @Brant – did you design the Sonder Camino

The first one. Sorry. What’s wrong with it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘Brant and On One’ is closed to new replies.