Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 398 total)
  • Brant and On One
  • CountZero

My two Inbreds are well over ten years old now, I’ve had to locate the pics on Flickr and download them to be able to post them. Haven’t ridden either for ages, must get them out, clean them up and ride them. Both have been faultless, and I wouldn’t part with either for anything. One’s an 853SS with carbon forks and bars, the other is one of only two 567 frames, bare steel with a thin coat of clear matt lacquer, proper hooligan hardtail! 6” travel Nixon Platinums on the front.

epicyclo

We should lay off newrobdob, I just realised he’s done us a great favour and established a precedent.

Brant, Brant, Brant, look at this picture of my 10+ year old Pompino on part of the HT550 trail.

Although the paint hasn’t fallen off (yet), or the chainstays cracked (yet), there is totally inadequate clearance for a 2″ tyre and I have had to fit 40mm.

It’s really a disgraceful state of affairs, but I won’t mention this to anyone else if you send me a cheque for £251 (inflation adjusted).

Or the promise of a future gravel Pompino with 2″+ clearance will do. 🙂

breadcrumb

If this is turning into a OnOne love in-

My old 456 evoII-

New owner loves it. I’d be tempted by another with modern geo and the ability for plus..

weeksy

Here’s my much mentioned by me Parkwood 29

IMG_20161119_183927_zpsfn1fjkvy by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode
    Vodafone Smart ultra 6, undefined@3.8 mm, fundefined, 1/15s, ISO849

weeksy

and it getting muddy

2017-11-11_08-40-13 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode
    Vodafone Smart ultra 6, undefined@3.8 mm, fundefined, 1/33s, ISO57

DickBarton

It gets muddy leaning against a brick wall on monoblock? Rough place!

coomber
    Free Member

Weeksy

First person I’ve seen with seat slammed forward. I’ve mine as far back as possible and layback post but still wish it was a little longer.

Had mine 4 years this October. Great bikes.

stumpy01

Somewhat randomly, this just popped up on ebay – I was looking for Barry White Inbreds a couple of weeks ago so it probably remembered the search….

Pic 5 seemed strangely relevant… 🙂

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192606947827

Thinking about it, my Inbred has similar gouges (admittedly less severe than these!).

RustySpanner

Heard nothing about a replacement torch.

scotroutes

Hang on.

If I buy that Inbred off eBay then complain to Brant, I could end up £100 better off.

RustySpanner

You can get in the queue behind the rest of us.

It was a nice torch as well. My Granddaughter used to play with it.

Before it broke.

weeksy

First person I’ve seen with seat slammed forward. I’ve mine as far back as possible and layback post but still wish it was a little longer.

I feel the large is a little large for me… so the seat is fairly forward to allow this. Doesn’t seem to affect my riding so i’m cool with it. I still get tempted to swap for a Medium….. But i also get tempted to swap for a Stanton Sherpa 😀

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Bit late to the party here, but I have to say, I’ve always been satisfied with the products and service from OO/PX.

I’ve had a Pompino and a sliding dropout Inbred 26, plus various bars and other bits.

I do hope Brant can inject some magic to the On-One brand though as it does seem to have flagged of late.

On a related note, I know the Inbred was dropped, but did the Pompino get dropped too?

I’d love to see something halfway between a Pomp and TD-1 if we’re all putting requests in….

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I would have a punt on a steel SS 29er. Cheap and cheerful rigid fun.Could also be tempted by 29+ of some description. ]

Things I would suggest:

Threaded BB.

I think Surly have a good thing going with their “gnot boost” axle spacing. I am sure that more One One frames have been born as spares box or classified specials. Tap into that if you can.

Keep it cheap.

gray

I had various dealings with Brant, years back. He offered to lend me some kit when I was considering doing Iditabike, and encouraged me when I was dying of cramp on a failed Red Bull solo singlespeed attempt. His manner may not give everyone the warm fuzzies, but I think he’s a decent bloke.

I’ve ridden and enjoyed a few of his bike designs. Had a Jack Flash singlespeed prototype for a good while until it succumbed to my abuse. Am still riding a DN6 Inbred frame that I bought cheap because it had a hefty dent in the top tube. I think I bought that via Uncle Tim but am not sure. I also have a Whippet that presumably has something to do with him, which I really like.

If Robdob is who I think he is then I once gave him a lift up north (with MikeD, or am I imagining that?) to one of AndyA’s fests. Seemed a nice guy, though I do remember being mildly peeved when a bunch of us from the old newsgroup pitched in with bits for him to build up a new bike (I sent him some Kona P2 forks for free), only for him to say “erm, I could actually do with the money more than the bike so I’m going to sell it straight away”. I might not be remembering that right, and I might not have the right guy. If so, sorry. Regardless, newrobdob is not cool in my eyes though, if it’s correct that he’s misleadingly sold on a frame that he believes to be terrible and then accepted a full refund just now from Brant.

RustySpanner

You should have seen her little face light up, every time we let her use it.

Before, y’know. It failed, literally making the world a darker place.

Still, I’m sure an inconsolable 5 year old isn’t high on your list of priorities.

Sleep well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right. Time to wade in, Ive had enough

If Robdob is who I think he is then I once gave him a lift up north (with MikeD, or am I imagining that?) to one of AndyA’s fests. Seemed a nice guy, though I do remember being mildly peeved when a bunch of us from the old newsgroup pitched in with bits for him to build up a new bike (I sent him some Kona P2 forks for free), only for him to say “erm, I could actually do with the money more than the bike so I’m going to sell it straight away”. I might not be remembering that right, and I might not have the right guy. If so sorry.

Possibly the right guy you gave a lift to (he can’t remember who he went with specifically) but wrong guy you sent the forks to. I quote – “I’ve never asked for free stuff and sold it on”

Apology accepted.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Just an example….

newrobdob is not cool in my eyes though, if it’s correct that he’s misleadingly sold on a frame…..

Let’s look again at Robs advert for his bike shall we?

See that ancient photobucket link? There were pics of the bike there including chainsuck marks. They weren’t much, similar to loads of bikes with 3x drive trains. (Certainly nothing like mine)

How else would Brant have known to make a reply as he did? As you can see, it’s not mentioned in the text…..

Secondly, as I think he’s put somewhere, it didn’t sell via STW, but on eBay. Rob delivered it to chap in Leeds and pointed the marks out and told him to be careful of chainsuck. Did everyone who sold their frames on do the same? I’ve seen a few for sale myself, I doubt they did, so at the very least let’s tar everyone who sold one<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>on with the same brush, eh?

Mine is the only one of those frames that I know of that’s been cured of the problem, I can prove that, and I still own it.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

So that’s put that to bed.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Next up, Brant, if you’re reading this I have no personal problem with you and you’ve been decent when we’ve been in contact, but that was a dumb move.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

For the life of me I can’t imagine what you were thinking when you made that offer other than publicly buying Robs silence. Which you have succeeded in doing.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> The correct way to go about it would have been to do it privately off forum though  </span>

Before you did it Rob pointed me at this thread and text me “I don’t think he’ll do it though. Why would he?”

Exatcly. Why?

So I guess Rob called his bluff and sent him his Paypal details

Then, a few texts later…..

“Now Brant is hassling me via private message on STW. I’ve offered to give him the money back 3 times and he won’t say yes or no.”

So there you go, that’s what’s been going on in the background.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Then things get a bit murkier….

So this morning Rob goes back to his STW profile to find all these messages have mysteriously been deleted, not by him, but presumably just in case they’re made public….

From a personal point of view I think you owe my brother an apology for<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

A) Using him as a publicity stunt that went wrong and virtually ensuring that he won’t use this forum again, a place where he offered and took much useful advice over the years.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> You made a bad decision and went about it in a poor manner  </span>

And B) Underhandedly hassling him via PM and, I’m assuming, pulling strings getting the mods to cover your tracks by deleting it all.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

Well i guess all the fanboys will be dragging me through the mire soon. Hey ho. So be it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bloody shonky forum can’t even cope with a simple cut and paste. Another reason it’s dying on its arse.

brant
    Free Member

Quite some accusation that. You and your bro are quite a tag team.

Rob has so far asked me three times if I want the money back. I’ve not been hassling him.

All messages are intact in my message folder. No idea why they aren’t in your brothers.

I am happy to paste screen shots here. I generally don’t do PM’s and requested everything was kept out in the open.

dhrider
    Free Member

*Grab’s popcorn*

Sounds like screenshot’s are needed to show the actual truth here!

angeldust
    Free Member

If it is being offered, I think Brant should accept the money back, as it is the only way robdob can fix his reputation and regain some honour.

Will that mean he continues to bash On One/Brant for the next decade though?

Apple-Converted-Space is a good name for a band.

From a personal point of view I think you owe my brother an apology for<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

A) Using him as a publicity stunt that went wrong and virtually ensuring that he won’t use this forum again, a place where he offered and took much useful advice over the years.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> You made a bad decision and went about it in a poor manner  </span>

IMO robdob should be doing the apologising.  He is the one that made a bad decision, and went about it in a poor manner.

Bloody shonky forum can’t even cope with a simple cut and paste. Another reason it’s dying on its arse.

Yes, but this has been the most interesting thread in ages.

brant
    Free Member

>If it is being offered, I think Brant should accept the money
    >back, as it is the only way robdob can fix his reputation and regain some honour.

Can’t he just hit “refund payment” on paypal and it comes back automatically? I don’t have to do anything?

angeldust
    Free Member

Can’t he just hit “refund payment” on paypal and it comes back automatically? I don’t have to do anything?

Probably wants you to make a big fuss about it first?

brant
    Free Member

😂

rene59
    Free Member

bump

mikey3
    Free Member

Grind.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Barbra Streisand

one_bad_mofo

I have no useful contribution to make. 🙂

Ooh, my comment was autmatically modified. (This is a post post edit)

Mister-P
    Free Member

bump

Grind

I don’t see nothing wrong…

Drac

My turn.

If you’re going to make accusations about mods it’s best to fact check first. Mods do not have any access to deleting PMs sorry about that PP but you’re lying when you claim we’ve covered his tracks.

On a personal note accepting £250 for a frame you no longer have as you sold it on to someone else is immoral. Rob should give Brant the money back or donate it to a chosen charity.

tjagain

Drac – “mistaken” rather than “lying” would perhaps be helpful?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do PX sell forum set  ups as well?

scud
    Free Member

For me there was a definite turning point with Planet X in quality control and it seems whoever bought frames from the first batch that came off the boat were the testers, and don’t get me started on their ridiculous sales and pricing that goes up and down faster than Louise’s knickers…

My first 29 er was an Inbred and it was ace, second a black Scandal , it was ace, then got one of the raw Scandals, that had the first attachment for the brake hose so close to headtube you couldn’t kink it enough to actually fit, but all in all a great riding bike.

Then followed a Fatty Trail where the seat tube required two layers of Coke can as a shim to keep seatpost up.

A Holdsworth SS frame for commuting where the drop outs were not straight and the Racing Green paint fell off when you looked at it.

A Reverb that was faulty and they denied ever receiving it back for months until i provided the signature of the person that signed for it, and they still denied it for 3 months!

The best though was mentioning the above on Facebook only to have a drunken member of their staff start sending me FB Messages with loads of abuse (sent them on to PX, never really got an apology, just that the member of staff was on sick -leave)!

So all in all, they were a bit of a British Institution and i hope they find their feet again but:

– Stop the daft sales, just stick what needs selling at one sale price and leave it

– Lots of frames/ models that are very similar and confusing range especially for someone new looking at them for first time

– Sort customer services so if someone does have a problem, it gets sorted promptly.

Poopscoop

Don’t see anyone as really winning here but seeing a forum member effectively bullied off the forum leaves a nasty taste in the mouth to be honest.

ElShalimo

“Probably wants you to make a big fuss about it first?”

– but only for 9 years.

restlessshawn
    Free Member

Mine is the only one of those frames that I know of that’s been cured of the problem

Mine has been fixed to, still in regular use.  Totally cured any problem.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28nhep2]DSC02700[/url] by Shawn McFarlane, on Flickr

duckman

Why’s that poop? He took £250 for a frame that he sold years ago, long may that form of bullying continue. And PP; one Q…did everybody who sold theirs chase the designer for a full refund years later? Like you honest, chainsuck pointing out brother did?

Poopscoop

duckmam, the fact that you approve of any type of bullying if regrettable to be honest.

I shouldn’t put words in the guys mouth as I don’t know him from Adam…but I’m guessing he thought the refund was long overdue?

I see some similarities in this thread and the Ling thread. Id hoped that type of antagonism stayed on the chat forum.

I come on the bike forum to get away from that sort of perpetual acrimony.

Cheezpleez

I swapped my pitchfork for a dildo and some candyfloss. Much happier these days.

Poopscoop

^^ Something to be said for that.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘Brant and On One’ is closed to new replies.