Viewing 40 posts - 16,121 through 16,160 (of 17,666 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • stumpyjon

I just cant believe this turd won’t flush.

devash
    Free Member

Just in time for Halloween eh?

Real ‘orror show init.

It would be funny were it not for the fact that people will die / have died because of this lot.

grahamt1980

We could end up with an election fast if Boris gets back in. I wonder how many tory mp’s will resign the whip. Some have already said they will or defect to labour

martinhutch

The return of Boris would be the last pathetic spasm of this government.

Anyone who wants a GE should be backing him, as it would tear the party in two.

Bring it on!

MoreCashThanDash

I just cant believe this turd won’t flush.

Definitely the best description I’ve seen!

crazy-legs

martinhutch

‘Honking Pudding’

Fabulous.

ernielynch

Some have already said they will or defect to Labour

I haven’t heard any Tory MPs say that but if they were to it is unlikely to have much effect on the result of a general election imo.

If they represent a safe Tory seat their electorate are likely to take a pretty dim view of them defecting to Labour and are far from guaranteed to also follow their MP.

If they represent a marginal seat in all likelihood that would go to Labour next election anyway, I’m not sure how appealing it would be for Labour to have a former Tory MP as a candidate for a seat that they would probably win anyway.

If any MPs decide to give up the Tory whip in the unlikely event of Johnson becoming party leader again, I suspect the most likely possibility is that they will sit as independents.

Supporting a vote of no confidence in the government and precipitating a general election in which they would possibly lose their seats doesn’t sound like a particularly attractive proposition, I guess it depends on how selfless these Tory politicians feel.

the-muffin-man

Some have already said they will or defect to Labour

Well – it’s a simple way to keep your seat! Self serving again.

scuttler

Cult of Johnson mother **** on 5 Live phone in right now.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Cult of Johnson mother **** on 5 Live phone in right now.

They’re currently showing this on BBC news channel- the BBC doing their best to promote Johnson, again.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well, if he is going to try and get back in, then the BBC might have to report it.

But, FFS, 179 of the flipping Tory party resigned because of him. The sodding Tory party. The Tory party, after it had been taken over by UKIP, no less. That party, with all the ethics it has*, walked out on him. It’s just not a tenable position to even consider him for the job.

* i.e. none, just to be perfectly clear.

crazy-legs

Not sure whether this should be on the Boris thread or the “Who’s the next PM?” one but whatever…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

BJ won’t have read the party memo that they get the choice down to the two last remaining (hopefully sensible) prospects and the one with least votes then steps down. He know he’ll walk it with the actual membership so he won’t do the decent thing if he’s in 2nd place.

Was actually thinking last night it’s a shame they might get a ‘moderate’ in and probably start chipping away at that Labour lead, but this turn of events has cheered me right up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But, FFS, 179 of the flipping Tory party resigned because of him. The sodding Tory party. The Tory party, after it had been taken over by UKIP, no less. That party, with all the ethics it has*, walked out on him. It’s just not a tenable position to even consider him for the job.

Was this his purge of the moderates so he could claim his mandate for Brexit, or something else?

Says something about the last decade when you can’t even remember what order the waves of shitstorm hit.

ChrisL

From the BBC:

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has ruled himself out of the Tory leadership race and says he would “lean towards” supporting Boris Johnson at the moment.

Wallace was supposed to be the most sane of them, right?

martinhutch

I’m personally voting for oblivion.

ernielynch

Dunno, reputed to be the most left-wing of possible candidates, which I suspect is the reason he claims he is leaning towards Johnson, if indeed he is.

I think some people don’t realise how right-wing Rishi Sunak is, or possibly simply want to ignore it.

Twodogs

Some MPs have suggested to ITV News’ Anushka Asthana that they are considering asking the House to vote on rescinding the original motion

So Tory MPs are seeing if they can cancel the Standards Committee’s investigation

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think some people don’t realise how right-wing Rishi Sunak is, or possibly simply want to ignore it.

I’d take competence and stability over, well, Boris.

Austerity made things worse for people, but not as bad as the incompetence of subsequent governments*.

*no I’m not supporting the attempt to spin each PM as a separate ‘government’ that can distance itself from the shitshow they replaced the week before.

martinhutch

So Tory MPs are seeing if they can cancel the Standards Committee’s investigation

Boris has until Monday at 2pm I think to declare. I wonder if this is a precondition? Even so, I think there will be more than 40 Tory MPs who will refuse point blank to vote on rescinding it. Anyone supporting Sunak or Mordaunt, for example, so it’s a fanciful idea*

*yes I know, fanciful ideas are the new normal.

ernielynch

I’d take competence and stability over, well, Boris.

Yeah a lot of Tory supporters would. Personally I’d take no brutal austerity over competence and stability. And it is probably quite a widely held opinion outside the Tory Party.

Nominations close 2pm Monday, it comes as no surprise to me that Johnson still hasn’t declared his intentions. He tends to leave these things until the last minute as he needs plenty of time to test the water and check wind direction etc, as he did over brexit.

doris5000

Boris has until Monday at 2pm I think to declare. I wonder if this is a precondition? Even so, I think there will be more than 40 Tory MPs who will refuse point blank to vote on rescinding it. Anyone supporting Sunak or Mordaunt, for example, so it’s a fanciful idea*

It’s mad that people are even discussing it. Because it’s not even a year since they tried that kind of shenanigans last time, and it was the beginning of the end for Johnson. But hey ho. I am enjoying seeing the Tories rip themselves apart, and no-doubt they will continue to do so for a good few more weeks yet.

Daffy

People seem to have immediately forgotten that it wasn’t just about A party, it was about many/most of his decisions leading to one crisis or another which mired the government in bollox for month after endless months. They were/are accomplishing NOTHING for the country. How do people A.) Forget? and/or B.) Forgive? It’s utter madness to me. All these blithering idiots on the BBC talking about, “oh it was only partygate and who cares?” FFS.

tagnut69
    Free Member

Boris the Great is on his way back from his holiday as we speak.

kelvin

There are no sane Conservative front runners. They’re all gone. Johnson made sure of that in 2019. Pointing out the “most sane” out of the current cabinet (or the previous one) is like picking out the “most tasty” turd from a long drop toilet.

People seem to have immediately forgotten that it wasn’t just about A party

No one has really forgotten yet. Some people want us to forget. Beware those people. Time to ostracise them IMHO. Whether they’re Tories or not.

kimbers

Clown effect

jezzep

Hey,

I’ sure he’s just trying to piss me off personally.

JeZ

MoreCashThanDash

Spent the morning with my raving Tory mum (“Liz Truss was treated terribly, yes I know she destroyed the economy but…”)

Even she thinks Boris 2.0 would be a disaster. But at least he’s not Starmer

nickc

Excellent. It’s no small irony that the return of Boris could be either the thing that they think will be the only thing that can save them, while simultaneously be the thing that might very well ruin the Tory party for the foreseeable.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think it’s bloody marvelous Boris is going to be PM again. It’s just nuts. You think you know where things are going and then suddenly whoosh, you end up somewhere completely different.

It’s just like one of weeksy’s bike buying threads 🙂

Bring on the chaos. Let’s be honest, we’re **** anyway für the foreseeable, so let’s at least be able to lay the blame when it belongs.

Twodogs

It’ll be interesting that the first thing he’ll have to do is organise a whipped vote on whether to cancel his referral to the Parliamentary Privileges and Standards committee.

Instant loyalty test…apparently 14 Tory MPs have said that they’ll resign the whips if he is re-elected.

ChrisL

I can see Ernie’s point. Johnson’s desire to always be the happy funtimes PM means he’s unlikely to implement the sort of ideologically driven harsh austerity several other candidates are likely to want.

But he’s treated the office of Prime Minister with contempt since he prorogued parliament, and went on to treat parliament and the whole country with a similar contempt throughout his rule, Covid and to this day. It’s not just the idea that letting him back into number 10 is letting him continue his run of falling upwards, it’s the message that rewarding someone who has done so much to erode the conventions that uphold our country’s laws and democracy sends out.

Johnson may be unlikely to do as much damage from number 10 as some of the others, but it’s like Trump. More competent people will be paying attention to their antics and learning just how much you can get away with if you play the public right, and the next populist to come along will take full advantage of the erosion in trust in the whole of our democracy.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Surley he’s jsut f@@king around with them all, after booting him out?!

Get them all running around like headless chickens, screaming “not Boris!!!” for a giggle.

kimbers

His ego is so big who knows

Part of me really wants to see him get it just to watch him stuff it up all over again, would he make it to Xmas?

But the country really doesn’t need more chaos & instability

robertajobb

I find myself wishing petulance on every single fookwhit that voted him in in 2019. All those who voted for brexit or voted for him in 2019 and lose their houses in the coming recession get what they deserve – about time there are consequences for actions.

But a shame that many who didn’t will most likely get that punishment too.

mattyfez

Maybe it’s what we need – Sunak I think is more right wing, and crucially more professional and statesman like.
    MAybe Boris can stuff it up so bad twice it really will seal the tories fate for the next GE? The tories rep could recover by then under someone like sunak, given enough slickness and spin.

frankconway

Alastair Campbell on Politics Live today (21 Oct) described johnson as ‘…a turd that won’t flush’.
    No comment or apology from the presenter – or from the token tory – a self declared johnson supporter – on the panel.

Northwind

tagnut69
    Free Member

Boris the Great is on his way back from his holiday as we speak.

OK so obviously everything about this is terrible and infuriating, but, I just about blew my top in the car today, hearing a news report that made it sound like a big thing that Johnson is cutting his holiday short. Oh look how committed he is to the country! Rather than, “since finally being exorcised, Boris has spent the entire ****ing time doing nothing, despite still being an MP”

ernielynch

It was the chaos and instability under Liz Truss which caused her, and her Chancellor’s, remarkably swift downfall. I celebrate the chaos and instability which strangled the Britannia Unchained Project at birth.

You are right of course, the country doesn’t need chaos and instability, but it also doesn’t need a Tory government, which is the cause of the current chaos and instability.

I hope that if Rishi Sunak becomes PM and he attempts to implement the right-wing thatcherite policies which he has been espousing that it is also met with chaos and instability.

I find the thought of Sunak continuing the Tory attacks on public services unimpeded quite terrifying.

Although I understand the strong appeal of “strong and stable” to Tory politicians and their supporters.

Viewing 40 posts - 16,121 through 16,160 (of 17,666 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.