Viewing 40 posts - 13,241 through 13,280 (of 17,662 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • crazy-legs

211 vs 148

🤔

PJM1974
    Free Member

The gongfarmers at The Telegraph etc are all out in force, notwithstanding the fact that Theresa May did better on her no confidence vote (63%) and was gone within months.

I’m really, really looking forward to a nice Tory civil war breaking out.

matt_outandabout

Bugger.

Now watch the Tories further implode and turn on each other as they race to line up as the next leader in waiting. Meanwhile the important business of running a country is ignored.

🙁

Daffy

That’s a mighty shellacking for the PM.

More votes against than Theresa May.

5lab

MP salary is £84k. An OECD report in 2021 looked at 36 countries and found state secondary headteachers in UK were paid £102k, with only heads in Luxembourg and Mexico earning more.

I expect OECD report looked at total renumeration, likely including pension, which (and lets not get into the good/bad of a teacher pension) is probably worth an additional ~25+% of base salary. If the pay range is ~50-120k I can see how an average might be 80 (which with the bump gets to 102)

binners

We’ll now obviously have to endure the oversexed honey monster making a blustering triumphalist statement where he praises this ringing endorsement of his leadership as if he was Blair in 97

Despite 148 of his own MPs thinking about as much of him as the majority of the country

Let’s look forward to those upcoming by-elections eh?

That’s going to be interesting

kimbers

That’s better than I thought he’d get after dorries intervention!

But still a big blow to his authority

By-election carnage incoming!

martinhutch

And now the Tories are confirmed as the party of Boris. They are shackled to him either for the next year, till they change the rules, or, even worse, until he calls a snap election. They could have to go out on the doorsteps for this lying chump.

No mid-season change of manager bounce for them.

cheers_drive

Best result possible. Had he lost the tories would have time to regroup. Boris’ ego won’t have him resigned like May so he drag them down all the way to the polls.

bails

MP salary is £84k. An OECD report in 2021 looked at 36 countries and found state secondary headteachers in UK were paid £102k, with only heads in Luxembourg and Mexico earning more.

@skooby39
    have you got a link to the report? Would be interesting to see how it’s worked out. The UK, Mexico and Luxembourg seem like odd bedfellows for a top 3 of anything!

convert

Meanwhile the important business of running a country is ignored.

Given that we’ll have a tory in the hot seat whatever, surely nothing getting done is a hell of a lot better that a free wheeling tory boy out to make a name for themselves before the next GA.

5lab

to be fair, I don’t think anyone really loved May, wheras a bunch of the current lot think Boris is the next coming. I think he’ll be a lot harder to shift

rone

Tax cuts next (especially as the recession kicks in.)

It’s the only stupid Tory thing they’ve got to offer.

tjagain

5lab – in which case MPs get far more than £84 000 if you add in the pensions, golden handsharkes etc etc

PJM1974
    Free Member

Now watch the Tories further implode and turn on each other as they race to line up as the next leader in waiting

Yup. None of the ambitious, amoral sacks of effluent will come out of this well.

Meanwhile the important business of running a country is ignored.

No change to anything since 2019 then.

BillMC

By voting to keep him in post they will be spattered by every sh storm he creates and take a share of each and every boo. Happy days.

sobriety
    Free Member

Boris is the next coming

Clearly what Nads is hoping for.

Klunk
    Free Member

is it enough for any of the cabinet to jump ship ?

kelvin

Not that long ago, in place not very far away…

skooby39
    Free Member

@skooby39 have you got a link to the report? Would be interesting to see how it’s worked out. The UK, Mexico and Luxembourg seem like odd bedfellows for a top 3 of anything!

Not the article but below from Guardian. Looks like many on a lot more than £102k.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/mar/20/english-secondary-school-headteachers-among-best-paid-in-the-world

jimmy

Best result possible. Had he lost the tories would have time to regroup. Boris’ ego won’t have him resigned like May so he drag them down all the way to the polls.

I’d like to think this too. Sentiment won’t change overnight despite his “now let’s focus on doing what’s best for the country” horse shit.

frankconway

That’s a great result; allows johnson to hang on but authority massively reduced. Position much weakened.
    Two by-elections in two weeks time which tories are likeky to lose.
    Scrutiny committee hearing to
    co-incide with tory party conference.
    Labour – you’ve been handed a golden ticket; don’t fail to capitalise.
    Durham police – there’s no case to answer so announce your decision soon.

5lab

the teacher salary thing appears to be here

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=EAG_TS_STA

no mention of averages, just says the top of scale is $147k, the low is $60k, (both of which match the published data) – if you plain average those 2 figures you get close to $102k – maybe someone forgot to convert $ to £?

that dataset includes mexico being really high in one category, presumably a typo

fatoldgit

211 imho leaves him right in that Oh **** where the hell do I go from here territory
    Yes, it’s a win, but no where near resounding
    I suspect knives will be out from here on in

devash
    Free Member

Best possible result. Death by a thousand cuts for the bloated oaf.

mattyfez

I think it’s probably the best result. He stays to alienate the voting public even more, whilst also knowing a large amount of his colleagues want him gone.

Paves the way for a lab/coalition government next ge. If Labour can get off thier high horse and actualy collaborate.

sturdylad
    Free Member

So very depressing and yet entirely predictable

ratherbeintobago

By-election carnage incoming!

Not helped by them sending out by-election mail shots unfranked so the lucky recipients have had to pay for the postage.

johnnystorm

Headteachers (as the sign says on their door) have stopped being a meaningful measure now that so many are Academy CEOs (as they are on the paperwork).

skooby39
    Free Member

Durham police – there’s no case to answer so announce your decision soon

Now that is highly debatable. I’d like to support Kier, but it looks like exactly the same scenario. Kier went into an election on a holier than thou basis, but afterwards we find out it went on later than we thought, 12 people, was pre-arranged and the MET bodyguards are describing those present as ‘tipsy but not pi.. d’. Oh and of course Kier’s office have already formally apologised for an error in saying Angela Rayner wasn’t there… Could she not have corrected that herself..

Interesting period coming for UK politics.

frankconway

Wonder if carrie antoinette has gone out for a consolatory shag with zac.
    Another love child on it’s way – coming to a tory front page in 9 months.

binners

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens now with what passes for policy

A lot of those 148 are fundamentally opposed to the present policy proposals.

An 80 seat majority ain’t worth shit if 148 of them will either abstain or vote against whatever you propose

This could be just a completely paralysed zombie government now, unable to do even the very little that it’s set out to do

Fingers crossed. That’s probably the best result for all of us

dissonance

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens now with what passes for policy

Expect lots and lots of giveaways aimed at hardcore tories rather than the common plebs.

pondo

Not the article but below from Guardian. Looks like many on a lot more than £102k

To be fair, most of the big earners they reference are leading trusts, rather than being heads of schools – I was curious and Googled the one head they mentioned, he’s gone now after claims of impropriety and financial mismanagement!

avdave2

He seems to have a cold with all this sniffing

martinhutch

This sums up his core problem now:

lovewookie

It’ll be stated that he’s now got the opportunity to regain the confidence of those he lost.
    And that will be it. A great success, with the future set out to impress those who opposed him.

All wrapped up in getting on with things…like, the stuff, and the things…

kimbers

I give it a week before the next crisis/scandal

At least 2 more before the by-elections

Houns

He really is our Tr*mp

RustyNissanPrairie

Plenty more well deserved boo-ing coming his way.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,241 through 13,280 (of 17,662 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.