• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 13,201 through 13,240 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • igm

the salary is no deterrent to applicants and there are thousands and thousands of very competent people for whom that would be a huge payrise. folk like headteachers etc

How come and oversubscribed position we need to pay huge sums to attract talent but in other places ( teaching, social work, healthcare) this does not apply

TJ, I know a few folk in teaching etc including some reasonably senior ones.  My uncle was a headteacher for many years.  I have siblings who are senior consultants in hospitals.  They are all competent. I was hoping for a bit more though in the folk who represent us, scrutinise, amend and pass the laws and who hold the government to account.
    Now it has also been my occasionally dubious pleasure to meet MPs, ministers and select committee members. Of those I have rarely come away with anything but respect for the select committee types – MPs and ministers varied.
    And while no captain of industry myself, I know a few who really are.
    Some of those senior corporate types would be pretty good in parliamentary roles.
    And trust me they are in a different league of assimilating information, analysis and decision making in a wide context to headteachers or hospital consultants.
    Nadine? Yep, I’m with you on that one.

ctk
    Free Member

I have such a blind spot to Bojo. I do not see the appeal & never have but Tory MPs must see he is bad for their party? Coverage has been so negative recently.

If I was Labour I’d want him to stay. If he goes and someone sensible gets in what will Keir’s selling point be?

Kryton57

someone sensible gets in

Lol.

MoreCashThanDash

Is it just me or is having the news presenters outside no.10 on the news with head mics on a new thing?

The BBC lunchtime news from Downing Street was somewhat disrupted by a loud sound system by the barriers playing “Bye Bye Baby” on loop. The sound people were trying to adjust mics and the presenters were trying not to laugh.

dazh

If I was Labour I’d want him to stay. If he goes and someone sensible gets in what will Keir’s selling point be?

The people who voted him in don’t want someone sensible. They want someone who will break the mould of what they see as a woke-liberal political establishment who don’t care about them. They won’t vote for Starmer, but neither will they vote for Johnson’s replacement, and that’s all Starmer needs.

BillMC

Yep, the supposed elision of wealth with talent and we get the rather unimpressive Sahawi, Sunak and Mogg.

binners

If I was Labour I’d want him to stay. If he goes and someone sensible gets in

You know we’re talking about the post-Brexit Tory party here, right? BlueKIP? Sensible?

Whoever takes over from Johnson will be even more unhinged and Brexity and as thick as a Boxing Day turd

mattyfez

This is the problem, and bojo knows it.
    It’s all very well getting rid of him but what even more insidious candidate would replace him? We’re still stuck with the conservatives however you cut it.

mattyfez

The vote is just internal party posturing, it doesn’t really mean anything to the man on the street.

skooby39
    Free Member

My point is that there are plenty of folk who want to be MPs – the salary is no deterrent to applicants and there are thousands and thousands of very competent people for whom that would be a huge payrise. folk like headteachers etc

MP salary is £84k. An OECD report in 2021 looked at 36 countries and found state secondary headteachers in UK were paid £102k, with only heads in Luxembourg and Mexico earning more.

MP salaries and even the PM take home is low relative to comparable senior leadership roles in public and private sector. And it’s hard to get a job as an MP. Not defending the culture and conduct of any or all politicians but far easier jobs out there for the money.

jonesyboy

My local MP Daniel Kawczynski seems to be in hiding, is the voting record for the voc published?

anagallis_arvensis

An OECD report in 2021 looked at 36 countries and found state secondary headteachers in UK were paid £102k, with only heads in Luxembourg and Mexico earning more

Do many other countries have our crazy academy trust system? Most secondary heads are heads of multiple schools so it may not be easy to compare.

dazh

Wow Sophie Ridge just did the Jeremy C*** thing live on sky. Without even batting an eyelid. What a professional.

BillMC

£84k? Plus exes, directorships, travel, long holidays, heating for your horses, duck houses, free houses etc etc. Blimey I can’t imagine why they are so keen to hold on to their jobs rather than walk into these easier jobs for more money.

onehundredthidiot

His coat is definitely on a shoogily peg.

My MP John me,me,me,me Lamont has voted against.

Not that he had anything to lose apart from being a Liz Truss lackie which shows the shallows of his talent.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

frankconway

Bill, don’t forget – heavily subsidised bars and restaurants, putting partner/family onto the office payroll, payments for loss of office, opportunity to cash in after parliamentary ‘career’.
    For those who then become part of the government payroll, enhanced salaries.

pondo

MP salary is £84k. An OECD report in 2021 looked at 36 countries and found state secondary headteachers in UK were paid £102k, with only heads in Luxembourg and Mexico earning more.

Mrs Pondo strongly disputes that – some, maybe, at very big inner city schools, but not many, she thinks.

skooby39
    Free Member

£84k? Plus exes, directorships, travel, long holidays, heating for your horses, duck houses, free houses etc etc. Blimey I can’t imagine why they are so keen to hold on to their jobs rather than walk into these easier jobs for more money.

Just like the salary though, the sleaze opportunities are poor relative to other roles. When he was in charge of Unite, Len McLuskey handed over £100m of union members funds to a mate to build a hotel and conference venue valued at £25-£29m.

Klunk
    Free Member

surprising number of mps going public with voting against Johnson.

BillMC

Yep Frank it’s hard to keep up with the people on all those benefits. I believe Go Nads’ daughters are being rewarded handsomely for their talents too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don’t think that Johnson will lose the VONC tonight, but I do think that it’ll be closer than we first thought. The current trajectory is unsustainable for the Tories though.

stumpyjon

One PM ally said of Tory MPs: They are a bunch of lying snakes. I don’t trust anything they say

That lacks a small level of self awareness.

PJM1974
    Free Member

DrMRsPJM and I managed fifteen seconds of watching live footage from the HoC before peppering the air with four letter words.

dovebiker

I think he’ll win, but will limp on with the shuffling of a few deckchairs and we’ll get more of the same. The longer Johnson remains as PM then the more chance of a Yes vote for Indy in Scotland.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Of course she did, partly because she’s thicker than a Boxing Day turd.

matt_outandabout

Mad Nad really is as intelligent as concrete block. 🤦‍♂️

spawnofyorkshire

I just tried the BBC news channel and lasted 30 seconds of soundbites before turning it back off. I can’t listen to any of them, it’s just painful

tjagain

Mrs Pondo strongly disputes that – some, maybe, at very big inner city schools, but not many, she thinks.

I have two pals who were head teachers in england and they earned nothing like that. So called independent trusts maybe but otherwise – nothing like. this is the pay scales

Pay scales for teachers and leaders in England from September 2021

bruneep

Booo

nickc

nearly 150 voted against!

that’s a disaster for Johnson isn’t it?

martinhutch

Scraped it. 148 against, that’s awful for him.

PMQs should be a giggle.

Klunk
    Free Member

should think so

binners

Dead Man Walking

theotherjonv

133 was the same proportion as voted against May, and she was gone in six months.

Markie
    Free Member

Well, I fingers crossed this is a bad result for BJ, but damn I hoped they’d kick him out today.

convert

Beautiful. An utter kick in the bollocks, but they (the tories) are stuck with the turd.

It would have been even better if it was a tiny bit closer, but I’ll settle for that.

stumpyjon

Its only going to get worse for him from now on, 2 by-elections to lose and another partygate investigation to come. Another 12 months of infighting and dead cats.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,201 through 13,240 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.