• This topic has 17,667 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by BillMC.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,881 through 5,920 (of 17,668 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • dazh

Of course my interpretation could be based on the fact that I’m a Tory, apparently.

Just be thankful you weren’t called a nazi sympathiser. 😀

ernielynch

It’s the only possible explanation. Have you recently been kicked in the head by a horse?

Maybe the Independent’s headline writer has also been kicked in the head by a horse?

I did wonder about spelling, I have the same problem with the trees and seaside environment. I won’t edit though to maintain the value of your humourous reference 🙂

crazy-legs

So much for liberal attitudes and tolerance of other people’s opinions.

I have a very low tolerance of other people’s opinions when it is
    “we ShoULd LeaVe thE eU becos sovrintee!”

Similar to the “opinions” of flat earthers or anti-vaxxers.

A lot of people hide behind the expression of “I’m entitled to my opinion” using it to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned.

No, you’re not entitled to your opinion. You’re only entitled to what you can reasonably argue for. Saying “I believe it cos I believe it” is no better than saying Brexit means Brexit.

However, no-one can stop you from saying that Boris a a great family man, trying his best under difficult circumstances, no matter how many times he’s shown that he isn’t. In that sense, you’re entitled to your opinion, the problem is that when you try and raise that opinion as a genuine candidate for the truth. The evidence very much points against that statement and we circle back to the inevitable point that your opinion is wrong and if you continue to hold that opinion, we’re entitled to call it out as being bollocks.

ernielynch

Well that’s certainly told me.

tjagain

🙂

Jeepers Ernie I am sorry about the tory crack – it was meant to be a joke!

Ernies position on brexit carries some logic – I disagree strongly but the lefties wish to get out from the EU actually has a point behind it unlike the right wing one ( well that has a point but its not the one they tell us publicly)

kerley
    Free Member

No, you’re not entitled to your opinion. You’re only entitled to what you can reasonably argue for. Saying “I believe it cos I believe it” is no better than saying Brexit means Brexit.

Religion anybody?

kelvin

No, you’re not entitled to your opinion.

Everyone is. And everyone should expect to find others that disagree.

Ultimately every vote come down to expressing an opinion.

I’m a Tory

No, you’re not. You can stop that now.

Interesting side effect of Brexit, I’m sure there will be many more unintended consequences of giving numpties total control.

Putting the likes of Johnson and Raab in charge of the country, and the damage they cause, is probably a price worth paying for many people who wanted to reduce immigration and tear up agreements with neighbouring countries. I don’t understand those people, but perhaps they have a long view for the UK that I still can’t comprehend.

crazy-legs

Everyone is. And everyone should expect to find others that disagree.

OK to clarify on that point a bit.

“Opinion” ranges from tastes or preferences, through views about matters that concern most people such as politics, to views grounded in technical expertise, such as scientific opinions.

You can’t really argue about the first kind of opinion. I wouldn’t say that you’re wrong to prefer one food to another or think that a particular film is good. That’s very subjective and I’d happily hear your views on music or art or cinema – I might disagree with some of them as you might disagree with mine but it doesn’t really affect much.

The problem is that sometimes we implicitly seem to take opinions of the second and even the third sort to be unarguable in the way questions of taste are. So yes, you’re entitled to say that Boris is a genius or anti-vaxxers are onto something but you can’t expect to have your opinions respected when they’re at odds with the mountain of evidence that says otherwise.

However if someone says “yes I voted for Brexit because I believed the bus slogan but now I realise it was all a bunch of lies” then that’s a bit different, that’s a previous opinion / belief that has been overruled by the evidence to say that yes, it was all a bunch of lies.

Religion anybody?

Religion isn’t an opinion, it’s a dogmatic belief system and since there’s little evidence either way to prove or disprove the existence of God (or whatever your supreme being is called), if it’s going to fall anywhere within the above three categories, it’s probably primarily in the first list as being a question of taste (mixed in with external factors such as how and where you were brought up).

dazh

The state of this..

binners

He looks like a tooled up smurf!

Well… we got the answer to the question on who was next for the ‘hard man’ photo op after Liz in a tank and Rishi with the Gurkhas

willard

That’s embarrassing. Even Liz Truss looked more convincing than he does in that photo. Shit, reminds me of the guy I went to AFG with the last time. Ate ice cream with every meal and had trouble putting his body armour on when we left.

dogbone

That photo is real? **** me..

james-rennie

Those photos look like something cooked up by Cold War Steve , but more ridiculous.

nickc

The state of this..

You now he does it on purpose to wind up folks like you, though right? It’s a big joke, how the right wing press will go at people like Corbyn or Michael Foot for “looking like a tramp” but wilfully ignore the fact that Johnson always looks like he slept on the sofa in the same clothes.

kimbers

Line of duty sequel anyone

dudeofdoom

Ultimately every vote come down to expressing an opinion.

Opinions are like a’holes everyone’s got one 🙂

I’m not entirely sure that BJ does do it to wind people up,perhaps he really is shot away.

But your right, remember the two left shoes slagging off of Dianne Abbot..

BillMC

molgrips
    Free Member

Opinions are like a’holes everyone’s got one

Actually you can end up with no arsehole if you have certain things go badly wrong with your insides.

gardentiger
    Free Member

Actually you can end up with no arsehole if you have certain things go badly wrong with your insides.

And yet something has gone badly wrong with the insides of the UK and we have a proliferation of arseholes.

Can’t even get that right.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’d love it if Boris came out on a shift with me. I’d put him on a locus guard in the middle of Knoydart. Without a chair.

kelvin

MoreCashThanDash

No, you’re not entitled to your opinion. You’re only entitled to what you can reasonably argue for.

That’s a very dangerous and dictatorial position. You can think what you like, if it doesn’t break the law.

You can’t ram it down other people’s throats though. And if you can’t produce any evidence to support it you should have the self awareness to shut the **** up.

kelvin

The hat is deliberate, we’ve seen him wear them that way many times before, it’s his outdoor version of carefully messing up his hair. How much of the whole look is deliberate I’m unsure. I mean, many have claimed the ill fitting suits are deliberate as well, and I can believe that… but is he really trying to look like…Hobocop!?

fasthaggis

He looks like a tooled up smurf!

Fixed that for you Binners 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

genuine LOL @ Hobocop 😀

gardentiger
    Free Member

Hobocop

Carrying a fair bit of weight for a hobo.

Dildocop perhaps?

bruneep

ernielynch

I’m not sure that it is the role of a news channel to scream outrage but it is certainly the role of the Opposition.

kelvin

Make the laws… and then make sure you can overrule judgements when you can’t even stick to the laws you make…

I do wonder how much our history as a Monarchy helps people accept this as “democracy”. Johnson wants to rule as if King.

Anyway, party, what party…?

ernielynch

I don’t know why they don’t just pack the Supreme Court with political appointees, it seems to work fine for Poland and the United States.

AD

Anyway Hobocop has investigated the party and is satisfied no rules were broken.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59563762

Good enough for me. I’m sure he wouldn’t lie. Oh wait.

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s not going away the crimbo party story…. wonder if it will lose them votes in the shropshire by-election.

Klunk
    Free Member

I don’t know why they don’t just pack the Supreme Court with political appointees, it seems to work fine for Poland and the United States.

doesn’t always go as you think even then, Roe vs Wade was pass 7-2 with a right majority court. And Trump appointees told him to go and do one.

binners

You can be as corrupt as you like but hell hath no fury like a cancelled Christmas cheese and wine evening

nickc

Bet you he’s wishing he’d saved dressing up like a cop and making up a drugs policy on the hoof for tomorrow morning’s paper now.

kimbers

Now that Johnson has officially denied it, it suddenly seems quite likely that he did intervening in this

Klunk
    Free Member

oops

mattyfez

You can be as corrupt as you like but hell hath no fury like a cancelled Christmas cheese and wine evening

kimbers

That picture of gav

tjagain

This seems to be the first time dirt has stuck and once it starts to sr=tick there is going to be a never ending stream of muck.  covid contracts is also getting traction but the parties in number 10 seems to have really stuck – especially whenthey lie and its an easily disproved lie as journalists were in attendance to at least one of the parties

this has an end of Major feel to it to me

Viewing 40 posts - 5,881 through 5,920 (of 17,668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.