Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)
  • Bike-carrying wagons. Fast ones.
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Porsche Panamera TurboS for me with the retractable tow bar option – mount a 4 bike Thule rack on the back (why would you want your dirty bikes in a nice car anyway?) with 3 mates in the car and plenty boot space for our kit. Would be a grand day out.

Would love to see a nice van with a juicy engine upgrade though.

tang
    Free Member

[/url]Sweet ride by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]

choppersquad
    Free Member

Could get a couple in the back of my WRX Sportwagon.
    That was quick enough.
    RS4 Estate is my first lottery win purchase.
    Not going to get one in the wife’s Lamborghini am I?

gee
    Free Member

Audi S6 V10; reasonably good value too at about £15k for an 07 with 50-60k miles and sensible running costs unlike the RS models. Not stupendously quick but then again it weighs 2 tonnes and is immense inside. The noise is absolutely epic though.

coatesy
    Free Member

If only my mate had known you could fit a bike in the TVR, would have saved him numerous embarrassing roadside hours waiting for the AA to turn up yet again (mind you, wouldn’t have been any help when he was inside and the doors wouldn’t open) 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

houndlegs – Member
    I had my bike in my van the other day and got up to about 70, that’s fast ain’t it?

Yep never struggled to hit the speed limit in the tansit either, must just be the balding, middle aged IT manager lurching from one mid life crisis to the other in here looking for a “Making Progress” wagon 😆

wideboy
    Free Member

WRX wagon with removable towbar for the sensible car, immense in the snow when heading to the hills for winter fun too.

Skyline for the daft one, lapped Nurburgring with my DH bike in the back of the skyline the past 2 seasons 😀

julians
    Free Member

I have no pics , but I have fitted my thule bike rack to the roll cage of my caterham 7 in the past.

Not really very practical, but a bit of fun.

craighill
    Free Member

Here’s mine, need to take a wheel off but gets my 2013 gambler in lovely. I like it as unless your big into cars, nobody knows what it is, or the potential under the bonnet

smartboy
    Free Member

My RS 6 in beach-mode. Takes bikes in the roof too.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That RS4 in the OP has been ruined! I love the B7 RS4, it just looks so rights and sounds brilliant too.

Audi S6 V10; reasonably good value too at about £15k for an 07 with 50-60k miles and sensible running costs unlike the RS models. Not stupendously quick but then again it weighs 2 tonnes and is immense inside. The noise is absolutely epic though.

I think they’re a bit muted on the noise front. My step uncle had a V10 RS6 until recently and it needed some aftermarket pipes really because it was just too subtle, especially compared to the previous RS4. Very, very fast though and it’s fair to say that 571bhp does a good job of masking the weight. Ruinous running costs though.

xcretro
    Free Member

not so much in as hanging off the back for dear life!

the boot is big enough to fit the bike in but the opening to the boot is so small you cant get it in any way!!

alanw2007

My wagon…

Legacy GT Spec B. Plenty of room for 2 bikes inside; turbo and 4wd. A lot more relaxed to drive than the WRXs I had previously but still rapid.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Does a Ute count?

world’s fastest ute

TheFlyingOx

Surely none of those really qualify as fast, just impractical.

I guess it depends on your definition of “fast”. The RX7 was sub-4 seconds 0-60 and had the power and gearing for 170mph+. The MR2s were both hovering around the 5 second 0-60 mark. Not bad for 20+ year old cars. And yes, highly impractical for bike carrying duties, but when that’s all you’ve got you make do.

I’ll give you the MX5 though. That wasn’t fast by any stretch of the imagination.

ontor
    Free Member

If money/environment etc were no object then there can be only one winner, the Bowler wildcat;

maxtorque

I see your Wildcat, and i raise you one Nemisis:

😉

epicyclo

Surely any wagon would do – even my long gone Multipla could do 70mph. Isn’t that as fast as we’re allowed to go?

Think of the money you could save that could be spent on more bikes…

😈

shedbrewed
    Free Member

money/environment no object you say?

Still prefer the bowler, mind.

@epicyclo, surely the same argument extends by reduction to all purchases? Why do you need a £4k bike that far outstrips your (generic) abilities when a £500 one would do?

adsh
    Free Member

I guess it depends on your definition of “fast”. The RX7 was sub-4 seconds 0-60 and had the power and gearing for 170mph+.

Does internet 0-60 abide by the same rules as internet bike weights?

TheFlyingOx

No, but modified cars tend not to have factory figures.

epicyclo

shedbrewed – Member

@epicyclo
    , surely the same argument extends by reduction to all purchases? Why do you need a £4k bike that far outstrips your (generic) abilities when a £500 one would do?

So true – which is why I don’t have gears or suspension on my bikes. I don’t go fast enough to need them, but as a result I have more bikes. 🙂

I want a modern Mini-Moke as a bike carrier.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    alpin
    Free Member

Was cruising along with cruise control set at 185kmh the other week. Potentially faster than most of you with your fast cars have driven..

shedbrewed
    Free Member

lpin – Member

Was cruising along with cruise control set at 185kmh the other week. Potentially faster than most of you with your fast cars have driven..

Fact- if you have cruise control set to 30mph in a BMW M135i and then use the steering wheel speed control button you can quickly click it up to 155mph and the car will happily accelerate to that.

craighill
    Free Member

The flying ox- spec of said rx7 please, any pics, seriously interested as 0-60 in under 4 seconds with rwd without slicks is highly impressive

I know, because my 4wd 500hp s4 only just manages that with launch control and flat shift

vikingboy
    Free Member

I drive an imported Evo IX Wagon – pretty quick with a few choice mods brought over from my 800hp hill climb Evo….dont actually have any pictures but it looks like the one below but with a dirty mountain bike in the back.

TheFlyingOx

The flying ox- spec of said rx7 please, any pics, seriously interested as 0-60 in under 4 seconds with rwd without slicks is highly impressive

I know, because my 4wd 500hp s4 only just manages that with launch control and flat shift

Gear ratios have a lot to do with it, I would think, as would the fact that my RX7 would be a fair bit lighter than your S4. It was semi-stripped (front seats only – no rear buckets or owt, no carpets), mapped at 380bhp/10psi boost, had some kind of “boost scramble” mode (got to love the Jap terminology) and was on semi-slick/trackday tyres. Big injectors, big fuel pump, big intercooler, big turbo, lightened and larger diameter pulleys with A/C delete, full cooling and induction mods. It was exceedingly quick, and the most favourite thing I’ve ever owned.

The car now lives with a Swedish drift racer. You can see his YouTube channel and the car here.
    I now drive an X-reg 1.2 Clio Liberté, so I’m re-living the past somewhat 🙁

julians
    Free Member

Fact- if you have cruise control set to 30mph in a BMW M135i and then use the steering wheel speed control button you can quickly click it up to 155mph and the car will happily accelerate to that.

Why’s that noteworthy? surely any car with cruise control and enough power to hit 155 will do the same?

legend
    Free Member

alpin – Member

115mph!!!! OH MY ACTUAL GOD!

maxtorque

Is it even possible to breath at THAT speed???? 😉

epicyclo

maxtorque – Member
    Is it even possible to breath at THAT speed????

No, but your willie grows to an enormous size, all the better for waving…

Northwind

alpin – Member

I’m not sure my motorbike was physically capable of going that slowly.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I saw this and thought ah my car is sort of fast, I’ll put a pic up.

It only has a mere 250bhp and with the rest of the metal on display I don’t think I’ll bother now. It is an actual wagon and carries bikes inside very well.

tom200

Here was mine………

Sadly missed.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

julians – Member

Why’s that noteworthy? surely any car with cruise control and enough power to hit 155 will do the same?

It’s not, but neither was the post preceding it.

Northwind; ex-Hayabusa owner here. Only had it flat out twice and it was the restricted one so a mere 186mph.

superfli
    Free Member

Not uber quick, but they can be mounted to sports bikes too:

chief1409
    Free Member

I’ve a 330d touring. Around town, its as fast as my old E92 M3 was (in real world terms anyway but thats probably due to current being an auto and the M3 was a manual).

How fast does it need to be, around town?
    Hence the “real world terms”…. And where I live the motorway is also bang in the middle of town so as fast as any other road I guess. I’m now annoyed I wasted 30 secs of my life answering you. 😯

Kahurangi

We’ve had 4 people, 5 bikes (4 on towbar rack, 1 inside) and a weekend’s kit in a WRX down to Queenstown for the weekend. Wasn’t even cramped.

I do love mchlptchr’s MR2 (you still got it??) – perfect bike vehicle for two.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m waiting on the price of these to come down a little… A friend has one and it’s nucking futs!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Bike-carrying wagons. Fast ones.’ is closed to new replies.