Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DIY jigsaw recommendations please
  • csb

I need a saw to cut sheet materials, ply, mdf, roof plastics, sometimes with a curve.

I think it’s a jigsaw I need. Any recommendations?

Ta.

takisawa2

Not a Wickes Proffesional range one.
    Utter crap.

Base model from Makita, DeWalt et al.

maccruiskeen

anything thats got an orbital action will serve you well, a good sturdy base plate too. Tool free blade changing is worth looking for. Beyond that theres not much to get right or wrong. Check that the blade fitting is commonly available – bayonet style ones seem to work best IME and are preferable to ‘Universal’ fitting. If your budget will stretch to a makita 4350 they are absolutely cracking jigsaws.

stumpy01

Depends how often you’ll be using it, i guess but i got a Mac Allister one from B&Q and it’s been very good.

benji
    Free Member

Decent blades make a difference as well, match the tpi to the material.

footflaps

I gave up with cheap one, always overheated and the blades wandered around in the tool. My current jigsaw is a Bosch pro model:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dPKGHX]New Jigsaw, Bosch GST90 BE[/url] by brf, on Flickr

csb

Thanks all.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Had cheap ones, they’ve all been crap. Get something where you can actually see the blade and where it’s going. I think there’s some with a laser guide now.

stumpy01

The Mac Allister one I have has 3 levels of pendulum, multi-speed, laser line guide and led.
    Never noticed it overheat, but wouldn’t say it gets used intensively.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What mccruiskeen said. I’ve always been a fan of Bosch jigsaws myself, and that 90^^ up there is a good entry level jigsaw and could be had for around £100 if you hunt around. AFAIK, the GSTs have integrated blowers that blow the material away as you’re cutting which is a really nice feature. Also, things like just pushing a sprung lever, or some such to eject the blade, are nice add ons.

Depends on your budget though OP…how much are you looking to spend?

footflaps

I’ve always been a fan of Bosch jigsaws myself, and that 90^^ up there is a good entry level jigsaw and could be had for around £100 if you hunt around.

Think I paid £90 from FFX (the CRC of the tool world).

Edit: Just checked and it’s now £116

csb

Budget – the 60 quid Makita 4329 feels reasonable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure that Makita would be fine but it has a fairly low powered motor – 450W.

As footflaps has mentioned, have a look on FFX at your price point, and see what’s available. I notice there’s a few Hitachis for an extra £20 or so with 705/720W motors which will give you a better cut, especially when you start to go around a curve. But your budget’s your budget.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DIY jigsaw recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.