Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Bike-carrying wagons. Fast ones.
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

GTR wagon would be handy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are some seriously ugly cars up in this thread!

bigrich

There are some seriously ugly cars up in this thread!

FIFY

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m waiting on the price of these to come down a little… A friend has one and it’s nucking futs!

What is it???

I_Ache
    Free Member

Cadillac CTS-V Wagon with a fancy body kit and probably the 6.0L V8

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cadillac CTS-V

Hmm american 6.0l V8 will it do 50mph or go round corners?

I thought it was an ugly love child of a vectra and a 5 series

AlexSimon

If the GTR wagon was real (and actually fitted bikes), that would be truly bonkers.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Thanks

solamanda
    Free Member

Mines a 335D touring. As a friend said on a road trip to Wales, it’s a “Slow Sunday driver destroyer”.

craighill
    Free Member

335d are an awesome car , even better with a re map

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im sure alpin was doing it legally.

Most of these so called fast bike carriers need bikes partially disasembled- fail.

I’ll have one of these, ta…

passtherizla
    Free Member

solamanda – Member
    Mines a 335D touring. As a friend said on a road trip to Wales, it’s a “Slow Sunday driver destroyer”.
    POSTED 16 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Surely any car is capable of ‘destroying’ slow Sunday driver types??

I drove a e92 335d on a Europe road trip, it’s as fast as e46 M3 especially with me
    Behind the wheel. 😉

rickmeister

The sadly now sold VW T5 I had was pretty quick in 220bhp form… 5 people, 8 bikes and camping kit didn’t slow it down much.

Its new owner (on here), has done some more to it and described it as “feral” (for a van…).

I do miss it…

_tom_
    Free Member

Id love a sporty estate however I think itd be a bit big to be practical most of the time and I’d rarely make full use of it. My Golf fits bikes in a bit better than my old car so I’m happy 🙂

grenosteve
    Free Member

What about a good old pat-van?

Yes, I have one. 😳 Its cheap to run and can fit two 29ers in the back with the front wheels off. It’s amazingly slow though (after a 180bhp bike).

epicyclo

grenosteve – Member
    What about a good old pat-van?

Yes, I have one. Its cheap to run and can fit two 29ers in the back with the front wheels off. It’s amazingly slow though (after a 180bhp bike).

And there’s the rub.

Once you’ve had a decent motorbike, all cars are slow, road chicanes.

So you may as well buy one that will cruise at the speed limit because you aren’t going to get there any faster.

If you have the money to buy a car that can keep up with a motorbike, you would be better off buying a helicopter and fit bike racks

rickmeister

Why have a car ? Why not get a bike rack with wheels and an engine ?

solamanda
    Free Member

Surely any car is capable of ‘destroying’ slow Sunday driver types??

Not when you’re passing 3-6 at a time.

But I’d agree about cars V bikes, it still feels slow in comparison.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My Focus Estate is perfectly capable of passing 3-6 normal drivers at a time let alone sunday drivers.

Most of these so called fast bike carriers need bikes partially disasembled- fail.

What car can you fit a bike in whole? And I’m talking about cars here not vans.

Northwind

I_Ache – Member

Mondeo or Mk1 Focus estate could both take 2 complete bikes, both wheels in etc. (though, I only ever did it once as getting them back out was a bollocks) Bound to be others, A6, Legacy etc.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

In true STW style, I have a 2014 Octavia VRS Estate (although I don’t have an Orange 5, and I don’t work in IT, I do have a beard though) I can get a whole bike in with the wheels on. Probably 2 if required, but with the same issues as Northwind.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I drove a e92 335d on a Europe road trip, it’s as fast as e46 M3 especially with me
    Behind the wheel.

But it still sounds like a tractor! The E46 M3 makes a lovely noise…especially with a CSL airbox. Hmmmm.

Old school Volvo estates would swallow them up no worries. And still have space for other stuff.

scruff
    Free Member

My DH bike goes straight into my V70.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mondeo or Mk1 Focus estate

Old school Volvo estates

All pretty slow. Unless of course you manage to put the RS running gear in the Focus.

I tried once to get my BFe in my mk3 Focus estate and it was a bit of a squeeze so I didn’t bother and took the front wheel off.

mindmap3
    Free Member

But don’t foget the old Volvo’s were available with some proper engines too in T5 or Type R versions. Monumental lag, but the T5 Type R is still reasonably quick (at eating front tyres and drinking fuel at an alarming rate). Extra points for a yellow one.

Mintman
    Free Member

Here’s mine, its not pretty but did the job…

Northwind

Fair dos, wasn’t saying they’re fast, just examples of cars that can hold full bikes without any bother. (ST220 was not slower than some of the cars in this thread, mind)

Ooh ooh

Gary_M
    Free Member

With one seat still up I can fit complete bikes in the back of my honda accord tourer, with all rear seats folded down I can easily fit a whole bike in the back of my peugeot 307 3 door hatch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im a fan of sleepers – so the 230 bhp v6 engined / transmission/ axels from 407 coupe in a blingo multispace thats kicking about would do me…. Plenty fast enough for what i need /comfy for my height and swallows many bikes whole, not much to look at but then neither as some of the abominations of estates in this thread.

Steve77
    Free Member

Can you fit a bike in the back of an S4/RS4 Avant or 3 Series Touring without taking a wheel off, and still be able to use both front seats?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if you couldn’t. My honda accord tourer has loads of space left with both wheels on. I know the 3 series and a4 are smaller and really just ‘lifestyle’ estates but I’d be surprised if they didn’t take a full bike.

honourablegeorge

Dunno about the S4/RS4, but I have a Passat estate which are same floorpan but generally bigger body, and I can’t, for the most part – a shorter fork and narrower bars and I probably could, but my bikes tend not to have those things

matt_outandabout

I just backed off buying a Galaxy 2.0Ecoboost, I think that would have been pretty fast for a large brick. Just was a lot extra on tax, servicing for autobox and complex wee engine, that supposedly doesn’t get the mpg promised.
    Meh, back to a (slow) oil burner Galaxy instead.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Passat Estate here (2011) and takes a 160mm travel bike without a wheel off even with the driver’s seat full back. That doesn’t make it a fast bike carrying wagon, but the bi-turbo diesel one out next year might well be.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Wonder if anyone has a Mercedes R 500 they are quite cheap to buy second hand but not to run….

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

A4/S4/RS4 are surprisingly small. My BIL sold his when he had kids as it just wouldn’t take enough kit.

mindmap3
    Free Member

A4/S4/RS4 are surprisingly small. My BIL sold his when he had kids as it just wouldn’t take enough kit

The B7’s especially. The Recaro buckets in the RS4 look ace and are really comfy but the destroy what little leg room there is behind them.

The B8 shape A4 looks a lot bigger but I’ve not been in one so can’t comment.

The CL63 shooting brake would make a pretty rapid bike carrier too and sound amazing. No idea what the space is like inside and with an engine noise like that, not too fussed either!

iainc

Can you fit a bike in the back of an S4/RS4 Avant or 3 Series Touring without taking a wheel off, and still be able to use both front seats?

yes, I used to have one and put road or track bike in it all the time with the seats down and wheels on

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘Bike-carrying wagons. Fast ones.’ is closed to new replies.