Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • Big ride on Sunday – where do you stick your Gels?
  • ali69er
    Free Member

Use the gels for a sugar hit. They never provide enough fuel to stop my legs getting tired. Bananas keep the cramp away and fill a hole.

After seeing pork pie in the list I am certain to try that one soon!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Good breakfast of porridge / fry up / bacon roll / cereal. From then on relying on the food and water stops supplemented with flapjack, jelly babies and tangtastics.

That would have me throwing up at the first climb if I was trying hard! Proper food is all well and good, but if I’m really pushing on I just can’t digest it properly and end up feeling ill. Gels definitely have a place, I had 11 when I did the SDW (taped to the top tube) with no ill effects. Gentle spin in the countryside – real food. Race type effort – gels work.

That said I’d never have 3 an hour for a prolonged period, and wouldn’t try anything new at an event.

singletrackmind

My 2p’s worth.
    Take a few gels with you but carry normal foood for the first 2 or 3 hours.
    Banana Malt loaf , sliced and squished make superb, cheap scoffable bars.
    Fig rolls, flapjacks ( homemade with a pinch of cinnamon or ginger )too.
    I like to add gels and High5 Zero to my water bottles . Way easier on the stomach and low faff way of getting them in you, only after the last food stop mind.
    Use the feed stops as a top up to your own stocks, dont stop for too long and get cold though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Much of the advice ^ is well placed but avoids answering your actual question

Answer – a bento box. Just check any triathlon store or google. Very simple and effective way of storing food and easy to access while riding,

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

If I’m on a big, hard road ride (100miles plus) My fuelling for the day generally goes like this :
    Large bowel of porridge with blueberries and raisins for breakfast, making sure I leave around an hour and a half before I set off so it can digest. Set my Garmin so that every half an hour it reminds me to eat something. I normally alternate between real food (Jorden cereal bars are my go to ) then after the next half hour a gel. Normally high 5, although the torque stuff has impressed me recently, especially the high caffeine ones (it’s like rocket fuel). Sometimes instead of a gel I have a couple of blocks of Rountrees jelly ( cheap as chips, easy to get down you and give you a massive amount of sugar if your close to bonking. As for hydration a bottle of water with again high5 powder in. If it’s hot I’ll also chuck an electrolyte tab in as well, for me it helps with the possibility of cramp setting in near the end.
    This is for a hard, hilly ride above 6hours though. A zone 1 or 2 recovery/winter base mile ride I’ll not bother with anything, bar water.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s no way you need to carry 18 gels. At the most you might need one every 30 minutes, so that’s 2 an hour and you shouldn’t need anything for the first hour anyway. So at the very most for a 6 hour ride 10 gels would see you right. But I’d probably take a couple of Clif bars or something. So 4 gels and one bar in each outside jersey pocket.

You shouldn’t need ‘other food’ on top of that. There’s absolutely no need to constantly eat.

supplemented with flapjack, jelly babies and tangtastics.
    Leave the gels for the gullible who believe the marketing guff.

One of the reasons for using gels is ease of transportation and use. A bag of sweets will just turn into a sticky mess and are not easy to eat on the move. Leave the sweets for the kids and take the more usable option.

vickypea
    Free Member

Gels have their place, but for rides of 6 hours or more, if there are feed stations, I would carry only about 3 gels for emergencies, plus a couple of energy bars, and eat bananas etc at feed stations. If there are no feed stations, I’d take something savoury like a peanut butter sandwich. I prefer to drink plain water or water with a zero calorie electrolyte tablet added. I once tried using an energy drink provided at a sportive but it felt too sickly sweet and it’s bad for your teeth!
    Mr Pea did a 300-mile solo ride one day, using a mixture of food at cafe stops and energy bars/gels. He used gels to get him through the last couple of hours but they really upset his stomach.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Reading the above posts I’m starting to wonder if I don’t eat enough.I did a 50 miler last Saturday & stopped for a cup of tea & a couple of scones after 35 miles.
    I’m doing another 50 today & I’ll take a gel as back-up but I rarely use them.
    What’s the recommended gel per hour ratio,1 or 2 per hour after a couple of hours?

rugbydick

Bananas… …fill a hole.

I think you’re using them incorrectly!

hora
    Free Member

People actually put that hideous **** in their bodies? OP why? If you do remember to throw them everywhere like other gel users do.

Plus if you need gels something tells me you haven’t prepared/ridden enough?

whitestone
    Free Member

Stating the obvious here but the manufacturers are going to say “take X per hour” because they are selling them and making money!

I’ve a pretty strong constitution but too many gels makes me feel queasy, I used to take some and use one or two on every ride but don’t bother these days. If I’m going for a long ride, i.e. 100 miles or more, or a particularly hilly ride (live close to The Dales so a normal ride has 2000m or more of ascent then I’ll pack one “just in case”. Apart from that it’s a cafe stop for refuelling.

As for carrying them: unused gels in RH jersey pocket; used wrappers in LH jersey pocket OR use a top tube mounted fuel pod. If you are on a sportive, resupply and bin empties at the feed stations. I find that the gels take a few minutes to take effect so if you know a big hill is approaching then take the gel a few Km before you get to the bottom.

tillydog
    Free Member

You might as well stick them up your arse
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anal-rehydration

Large bowel of porridge with blueberries and raisins…

😯

anagallis_arvensis

What a thorough load of bollocks!

scotroutes

Hora has a lot of experience of (entering) sportives.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What ‘something’ tells you this crap, Hora? 🙄

hora
    Free Member

So you think gels are a good thing? Or a necessary evil?

njee20
    Free Member

Reading the above posts I’m starting to wonder if I don’t eat enough.I did a 50 miler last Saturday & stopped for a cup of tea & a couple of scones after 35 miles.

Given the average BMI of a mountain biker I’d take nutritional advice on here with a pinch of salt. For 50 miles I wouldn’t take anything at all if I’m planning to stop, probably take a bottle or two of High 5 if it was hot, I like the taste and it encourages me to drink.

So you think gels are a good thing

Yes, they serve a purpose and they do it well.

soobalias
    Free Member

i often get through two gels on my commute, currently on a pretty strict keto diet tho so i need some good carbs to get me up the hills.

singletrackmind

Sunday morning club is run 35 – 45 miles @ 17/18mph , no food required just water and a high5 zero tab if its sunny.

Of course gels have a place , when your are bonking 30mins from home and your legs have turned into wool , your vision is all blurry around the edges and your lungs have shrunk to the size of a packet of mini cheddars then gels offer a quick ( the quickest?) fix .

molgrips
    Free Member

Gels are a portable and easily digestible source of carbs. When exercising hard, you want your food to be as easily digestible as possible. Extra fat and possibly protein make it harder work to digest and take energy away from.your muscles.

I once took welshcakes with me on a ride. They were harder to handle than gels, and I had terrible indigestion on the ride.

On a 6hr ride I would take carb powder in my drink mixed 2/3 strength, and 3 or 4 gels. I’d also start the ride without having had any carbs for breakfast and wait 45 mins before tucking in. But only because I’ve done it before on lots of training rides and I now the effect it has.

I’d use the sportive feeding stations to refill bottles with energy drink. Two of my gels would be caffeinated, they would be consumed last.

All of these people saying they do 50/miles on water – fine, that works for many people but not everyone. If you don’t naturally feel like that then it will take training to get to that point. If you want to get to it.

epicyclo

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    If I’m doing 100 miles+ I’ll take ham sarnies & a pork pie

Much the same, but substitute a Snickers bar for the pork pie. 🙂

Most of us carry plenty spare energy around with us in the shape of body fat. Learn to use it – it’s not as if many of us are lean mean pro peleton people.

Drac

Given the average BMI of a mountain biker

Which is? Says who?

fasthaggis

I say screw these guys! Who do you think k knows more about the gel? Some people on the internet, or the manufacturers? Go for the 18 and take a few more just incase. Just tape them with masking tape over the bike so you can rip them off.

This all the way OP 😉 Remember to start a new thread about your shitting through a sieve miracle weight loss

Hora has a lot of experience of (entering) sportives.

Aw come on now,he was feeling all delicate and couldn’t get a doctor to give him the all clear. 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

I use gels as a turbo, big hill coming up in 15 mins? grab a gel.

I avoid butties/pork pies etc as I feel slow on them, flapjacks or similar for me to keep at a steady burn.

That GCN video is pretty good, although if I need a credit card on a spin I’m lost.

Saddlebag for 2x inner tubes, £20, levers, tool and patches.
    Back left pocket for an extra inner tube on big spins, phone and key (I use it to dump gel wrappers in too, waterproof phone).
    Middle pocket is a gilet.
    right pocket is gels/flapjack as I’m right handed and I find it easier.
    water bottles on the bike with isotonic powder on a big/hot spin as I’m a sweaty mammoth.

Don’t like to overpack the jersey as I find it uncomfortable after an hour or so.

anagallis_arvensis

Most of us carry plenty spare energy around with us in the shape of body fat. Learn to use it –

How do you learn to metabolise fat fast enough to avoid bonking?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Hmm, someone says the empty, sticky wrappers are hard to deal with. It a sportive – obviously they will be chucked by the side of the road.

Not saying the OP will do this but based on my encounters with roads apres-sportive it seems to be standard operating procedure…

taxi25
    Free Member

I still don’t get the pork pie obsession either…

a snack pork pie warmed and softened by 3hrs in your back pocket is food of the gods 8)

whitestone
    Free Member

Even a pro-rider carries quite a bit of fat – when Bradley Wiggins was in his GC body shape he still had enough fat to for 2 1/2 marathons. Whether you or Bradley Wiggins can utilise all that fat is another matter. You need a certain percentage of body fat for your body to function anyway so on longer rides you will have to consume something. But you are likely to have food “in the system” as it were that can supply this.

The body can only process food at a given rate so if you eat more than that it will just sit in the stomach making you feel bloated. The stomach empties at what is known as the Gastric Emptying Rate (GER), food leaves the stomach as a slurry of everything you’ve been eating and drinking plus a few stomach acids and enzymes. Hard exercise can affect the GER and how your digestive system operates.

Generally, food mid-exercise is more of a psychological boost than a physiological one, unless you’ve hit the wall and bonked. Water on the other hand …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Generally, food mid-exercise is more of a psychological boost than a physiological one, unless you’ve hit the wall and bonked. Water on the other hand …

Absolutely, gels are my post crash race tip. Helps bring back some focus.
    Once your gone though anything that will help you surf the sugar wave home is good, gels have their place. Not a full race fuel but a top up

MrSalmon
    Free Member

3 per hour, bloody ‘ell!
    Like most it seems I take a few for bonking emergencies, or maybe a bit of a mental lift before that last big hill, that sort of thing.
    I strongly suspect that for me at least a big part of this is all in the mind, especially on events- your special ‘event food’ that you reckon is going to give you that little bit extra than what you normally have.
    I almost never use High 5 or anything like that if I’m just out for a ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of us carry plenty spare energy around with us in the shape of body fat. Learn to use it

If you don’t know how a body uses carbs it might be best to stay off these threads 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

3 gels in each jersey pocket (x3) so that’s 9
    2 in your saddle bag
    Get a top tube pouch thing and stick 4 in there.
    One in each sock and one under your helmet.

So that’s 18.

Please please come back on here after and tell us how taking 18 gels in one ride works out for you.

beej

Yeah, all those pros necking a gel in the last 30 minutes of a stage just haven’t prepared enough. I hear British Cycling have a vacancy for Head Coach now Shane has gone, give them a call.

Just back from 130km, I had 2 oatibix for breakfast, then one Torq bar, one Torq chew, one bottle had energy drink in and I bought a Snickers when I stopped to refil the bottles.

Had a gel half an hour from home as I was getting slightly wobbly.

I’ve got one gel that I think I carried round with me for about 1000 miles last year, it came out on every ride under a couple of hours but I never needed it. Gels are an easy way of getting carbs in when I’m too fecked to even chew a bar.

njee20
    Free Member

Which is? Says who

It was a slightly tongue in cheek comment, but judging by the number of people who feel they need food on their 10 mile round around their local trail centre, followed by a recovery drink and a big meal, I Stand by my original comment.

mattyfez

It does make me laugh, I have a couple of gels for emergency that live in my backpack, but I’d much rrathe have cordial and sandwiches when riding.

If you had 3 gels an hour you’d probably end up diabetic and all yyou teeth would drop out!

I think there’s a vested interest in gel manufacturers recommending 3 per hour!

hora
    Free Member

Anyone who recommends gels for exercise outside of competition needs their head testing

scotroutes

Says the expert

anagallis_arvensis

Anyone who recommends gels for exercise outside of competition needs their head testing

I dont do any competitions but had an energy gel 3 weeks ago. What test should I have?

houndlegs
    Free Member

I dont do any competitions but had an energy gel 3 weeks ago. What test should I have?

Pay attention man, its the head test you need 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Ok, thats good. Thank **** its not a spelling test!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Big ride on Sunday – where do you stick your Gels?’ is closed to new replies.