Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone want to recommend me a nice route for my first bikepacking adventure…
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Built up a sensible bike, about to purchase some luggage, already have miniature tent, sleeping bag etc. So starting to think of good 2 or 3 day routes.

Loops preferable so I can end up back at the car, and within a 2 hour drive from Worcestershire so thinking black mountains, Shropshire, Devon maybe. Wild camp or campsite but will probably do most of my eating in cafes and pubs.

I have just bought a book full of Bikepacking routes on amazon… only to discover it hasn’t been published yet – Doh!

jekkyl

2 or 3 days? Wales! top to bottom or vice versa.
    Choice of using the Lon Las Cymru (ncn 8 ) or picking your own route. You could start at Chester (easy train connections) and pick your way down the border taking in Shropshire too. Worcestershire is fairly central (ish) between chester and cardiff, but a bit closer to Cardiff.

mrhoppy

As a starter for 3.

From Machylleth, over into NyA/devil’s bridge/nant Rhys/sweet lamb/hafren/stay little/ foel fadian/Mach.

Rhayder/teifi pools/strata Florida/doethie valley/llanwrtd Wells/rhayder.

Combine the gap, mynydd Llangorse and black mountains killer loops into one ride.

jekkyl

just looking at a map, you’ve got loads of options from Worcester. I think I’d still be looking at Wales, how about a loop out to Aberystwyth? It’s 100 miles roughly, so 80 mile a day over 3.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses, I’m hoping to do as little tarmac bashing as possible (I have a 4in front tyre).. so 80 miles a day is going to be impossible. For my first outing, nice scenery and fun rather than overly technical trails will be the main priority.

I like the idea of linking a few classic loops together…I have many MBR routes that I gave up bothering with due to the lack of excitement…but probably perfect for bikepacking expeditions.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Let me know when your going if you fancy company, could be interested. Quite fancy something alongs the lines of the talgarth, ponsticill area, or near Mach would be good?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

or ELan Valley/ devils bridge?

benp1

Good lord, there are MANY options for you. Pop along to bearbonesbikepacking, there are loads of people who could help you with a gpx file

miketually
    Free Member

80 miles a day is going to be impossible

10 miles from campsite to breakfast cafe. 30 mile ride from breakfast cafe to pub for lunch. 30 mile ride for lunch pub to evening meal pub. 10 mile ride to campsite.

80 miles done and dusted.

whitestone
    Free Member

For your first outing I’d suggest something very close to home as an overnighter – basically you need to sort out lots of things and if it all goes pear shaped then you aren’t too far from a warm bed. Then again you could just jump in the deep end! Worth looking through (or even asking) on the Bearbones forums.

You don’t say when you are thinking of heading out but unless the BW is rocky then things are pretty damp and slippery at the moment and distances take a bit longer than you’d imagine (or like). There’s a small handful of bothies to the north and west of Rhayader – a bit of searching should find things – linking them up would be a decent trip.

80 miles? Quite a big ask on moderately technical off-road – I did just over 100 on day one when doing the YD300 and that was going for it with probably a total of two hours at cafes/pubs plus about 40% was on-road.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’ll definitely be waiting for the warmer dryer weather – also need to gather my kit together first and do a practice ride with the bike loaded up. Works a bit slow at the moment so planning is a nice distraction 🙂

mrhoppy

Start off smaller and build up, the trick is working out what you don’t need/ can multi purpose.

Do that on shorter rides where you have the option to easily change your plans an adapt to how you feel. Bothies are ace too and allow you to get a feel for carrying overnight kit without lugging your tent as well.

JackHammer

Anyone have any cool routes around the Brecon Beacons?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to recommend me a nice route for my first bikepacking adventure…’ is closed to new replies.