• This topic has 317 replies, 140 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 38 posts - 281 through 318 (of 318 total)
  • Big Hitter gets lifetime ban
  • aracer
    Free Member

It’s just a feature of a website to a publication

Though some of us have been here long enough to remember the website from before the publication – in fact the publication would never have existed had some of us not been so keen on it that we put up money in advance to get the publication going (yes I was one of them, but I’m not looking for a medal or anything, just pointing out that the user community came first).

That does remind me though of some who were on Go-Far, but I can’t think I’ve ever seen on here, or at least not for a long time – anybody heard from Myra VI for instance?

molgrips
    Free Member

the user community came first

Blimey I had no idea.

grum
    Free Member

I may take pleasure in challenging peoples entrenched positions or biases with equally ridiculous counterpoints

AKA trolling, which I believe is against forum rules.

offering advice on bikes and trails, that people who’ve been around here for a while know I’ve done a lot of.

Really? When was the last time you did that then?

Kryton57

Some of you lot (and TJ) need to lighten up a bit. You are not going to change the world by shoving your views down peoples throats on the interweb. This forum could at any minute get shut down and deleted – the lot gone. In the meantime you will put people off joining in because it’s just too much like hard work. You find yourself re-reading your posts in case you’ve given someone fuel to roast you with.

This ^^

FWIW I mentioned BikeMagic earlier – this is exactly the reason there are 10/12 not 30/40 regulars posting on there these days, and new blood seems hard to come by. The arguing has slacked off some recently, and the bike content increased so hopefully it’ll grow, but it should serve as a warning to STW.

Also though, the BM Mods are less tough than on here but do seem to spot the line between “opinion” and “insult” better.

Here’s the last you’ll see of me for a week probably but – I found it particularly galling to have been warned by the mods for here using a
    word beginning with “T” on the forum, but then to see words beginning with “S” and “P” an recent copies of the Mag. WTF eh…?

philconsequence
    Free Member

banning everyone who’s posted on this thread would go a long way to making this a better place.

wallop

word beginning with “T” on the forum, but then to see words beginning with “S” and “P” an recent copies of the Mag. WTF eh…?

I moderate another forum and I make a concerted effort to keep swearing down. Not because I’m a prude, but because I want to keep the forum useable for people while they are at work and at the mercy of swear filters.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Really? When was the last time you did that then?

In defence, he has sent me useful information about trails around the Scottish borders in the past.

Kryton57

philconsequence – Member
    banning everyone who’s posted on this thread would go a long way to making make this a empty place.

FTFY.

aracer
    Free Member

banning everyone who’s posted on this thread would go a long way to making this a better place.

Bye then 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

No he was right first time Kryton.

So much hot air and navel gazing, so little self-awareness.

I realise I’ve put myself at risk by posting on this thread now, but I’ll take one for the team if need be.

bigrich

90% of the governments’ budget is spent independently of political incumbents.

phew, that felt good.

Kryton57

I’m hungry, what’s for lunch?

camo16
    Free Member

I’m hungry, what’s for lunch?

Klunk
    Free Member

mmmmmm pie

ransos
    Free Member

The posturing bullies have won. Congratulations.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I’m sure the frail will find someone else to attach their lack of confidence to.

Never a truer word spoken

brassneck

(yes I was one of them, but I’m not looking for a medal or anything, just pointing out that the user community came first).

So am I and I would like a medal. It’s all I’m likely to get one for, and everyone else seems to be getting one the past couple of weeks 🙂

toby1

I was expecting more arguing on this thread!

Swelper
    Free Member

[/quote]I was expecting more arguing on this thread!

Thats cos we are all nice and full of praise for TJ

Typical sheep mentality this or Red Top journalism. Kick em down then all go ahhhh what a shame he’s such a nice guy blah blah blah. Wer’nt so nice when kicking him ?

Read the fist page and thought WTF.

Worse than the soaps on the tv

No doubt i will get flamed for this but he ho, i have an off button.

And breathe, bad day today (Sorry) 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

Can I just add that the Laffer curve ROCKS!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

301!!! I’m late

MrSmith
    Free Member

The posturing bullies have won. Congratulations.

how can getting banned be winning?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m amazed that some people have the time to post as much drivel as they do on here.
    Admittedly, I used to do the same many years ago, but gradually the knobjockery and biletwittery on here became less and less tolerable so I only pop my head around the door occasionally these days.

(The period of time when that Elf character was at his peak and also someone claiming Hit the North was some kind of neo-nazi rally were particular low points that convinced me I’d made the right choice to bugger off)

fatmax

Probably best thing that ever happended to TJ…he’ll have about an extra 10 hours a week free time…

allthepies
    Free Member

***Splutters on latte***

MrsToast
    Free Member

(The period of time when that Elf character was at his peak and also someone claiming Hit the North was some kind of neo-nazi rally were particular low points that convinced me I’d made the right choice to bugger off)

Wait, whut?

It’s a shame I’ve used my quota of Mal reaction gifs today. 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

So I’m reading through this thread as its moved on somewhat since I posted earlier this morning and I’ve noticed that there are quite a few posters names I don’t recognise.
    Another interesting development.

Moving back to a point I made earlier, without those that speak up, this place will turn stale and die.
    Last year it was full of varied subjects and photo posts from all walks of life, now it’s turning into a 20 topic set and pick one to talk about.. Bit like an A level in English.

Characters, that’s what makes forums, not a selective few tied into single thought.

Where’s the architectural threads…? Exactly, my point exactly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

someone claiming Hit the North was some kind of neo-nazi rally

scaredypants

someone claiming Hit the North was some kind of neo-nazi rally

Presumably confusing it with “Hitler North” – that’s up round your way somewhere isn’t it ?

duffmiver
    Free Member

can one just not start a new account with a different email address? how does a lifetime ban work?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*packs Jackboots and gives Prince Harry a call about next year’s HtN*

wwaswas

Where’s the architectural threads…? Exactly, my point exactly.

I don’t think Elf had a monopoly on starting threads about buildings?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

can one just not start a new account with a different email address? how does a lifetime ban work?

{content modded by mods so as not to reveal mods’ moderation techniques}

nealglover
    Free Member

It would appear so.

As I said earlier, bikebuoy misses Elf, who was banned Two months before bikebuoy even registered.

*wonders who Bikebuoy used to be before he re-registered ?*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think if TJ came back it would only take 1 helmet thread to get him out

MrsToast
    Free Member

Cheers Captain! 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

now it’s turning into a 20 topic set and pick one to talk about..

I don’t think Elf had a monopoly on starting threads about buildings?

I just wanted to highlight the other line in that post where he blames other people for the lack of variation in topics. Unfortunately, he probably thinks irony is another metal, a bit like coppery.

Mark

This month we’ve reached a pinnacle of website traffic. We’ve gone past 850,000 unique users & displayed over 8 million page impressions. That’s our best performance ever. With 85% of our traffic being in the forum I’m not sure there’s any evidence for the argument the forum is becoming stale and isn’t as good as it once was. The traffic figures have been rising for 12 years, with a rapid period of growth over the last 2. There is no discernible effect in any of the stats we have to show that the presence or otherwise of an individual makes any difference at all. We provide the forum for the general population of mountain bikers at large. Our continued success is dependent on maintaining the forum and the site for as wide a section of the population as possible. That means no one person (or minority group) can be allowed to dominate the forum in a negative way as this puts off a huge number of potential users from posting anything at all. I have evidence here that shows the behaviour of forum individuals has directly lead to the canceling of subscriptions and the loss of revenue to us. My job is to take that seriously and no matter what the opinions of long standing regulars or otherwise to act to prevent that from happening in the future.

If you contribute nothing but argument.. If you enjoy winding up other forum users.. if you are abusive, rude or generally disrespectful of other forum users then you will not be welcome here. This is our long standing attitude and we believe sticking to that principal has gained us the following and the popularity that we currently enjoy.

This forum is an amazing place. It is unquestionably supportive and generous when we are presented with genuine need for help. It is hilarious on a daily basis and the vast, VAST majority of the thousands of daily posts are respectful and positive. The vast majority of arguments are done with thought and respect. But a minority of users come here principally to find an argument. They enjoy taking the opposite or pedantic standpoint and they pursue that in order to try and break their ‘opponent’ or to boost their own fragile egos. These people are not welcome here. These people are easy to spot, principally because they are vocal but also, thankfully, because there are very few of them. But they have a voice loud enough to taint the entire forum with their negativity. The people I am describing will all recognise themselves and they should think very carefully about what they contribute to our community in the future as their lead has now become very short, as SEVERAL have already found out in the last 24 hours.

Here endeth the thread.

Viewing 38 posts - 281 through 318 (of 318 total)

The topic ‘Big Hitter gets lifetime ban’ is closed to new replies.