Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • Best and worst things about where you live.
  • karnali
    Free Member

cockermouth

the view of skiddaw from my lounge window, endless riding in the lakes

crap weather and lack of choice of employment

previous

Kathmandu
    endless riding wherever you like, 8 months of sunshine and fantastic climate, cheap tasty food, trekking, paragliding and fantastic kayaking

crap milk, and a long way from family and friends

djglover
    Free Member

Northfields, West London

best: Food shopping: Local farmers market, butchers, fish mongers bakers + great for pubs eating out + great neighbours, more community feeling than anywhere I lived previously (N Yorkshire, Co Durham, W Yorks) + great school on my road
    worst: no mtb for 27 miles, making mtb at least a half day event, and no mountains for over 2 hours drive.

Too many good things here to trade off moving to some of the above just for better riding though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Did I mention that I lived in Northfields in 1997? There was a cracking Indian/Balti restaurant there on the main road – not too sure if it's still there though.

djglover
    Free Member

Montys?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah Monty's – really rings a bell. Loved it there. Am sure that's the one.

djglover
    Free Member

Yeah, still there, still good, but been superseded by papaya which is the second best curry I've ever had. Monthys is 4th

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well you should also try and get to Monafs in Hampton – maybe get a STW SW London curry night organised – or make it a regular event and try out different ones while also being able to chat about all things bike. Can't remember any good ones in East Molesey although there used to be a great pub right on the Thames tow-path.

scaredypants

New Forest:
    Worst, f*cking tourists
    Best, f*cking tourists 😉

(nah, you're right – neither of those)

Best – climate, nice village to bring up kids
    Worst – NF is a bit flat & boggy and you're not supposed to ride in there

john_drummer
    Free Member

North of Bradford

good: ace trails on your doorstep; fantastic curry; Leeds close enough to do the social life thing

worst: well it's Bradford, innit?

deserter – I know what you mean. Just spent a week in Canmore. and a few more days in Vancouver. I know where I'm emigrating to…

sprootlet
    Free Member

Brentwood, Essex
    Best – easy for work, close to London, low crime and some local singletrack through the very flat woods.
    The road sign "secret nuclear bunker", still makes me smile…..

Worst – miles away from any hills, 4×4's gridlocking the town every morning from 8.30-9.15 and the same on an evening.

edd

Dubai, UAE

Best: Reasonable access to Oman and the mountains of the UAE (good mountain biking), tax free, very close (relatively) to India and the Himalayas

Worst: Most of Dubai sucks; the fakeness of it all, the willy waving (big cars, watches etc) and all of this attracts the worst sort of people.

Overall: I've made some awesome friends out here but we all live for the weekend when we can get out of Dubai and go camping and riding – pretty similar to London then except it doesn't rain… I'll probably leave June next year which will be 18 months – plenty.

Caher

Switzerland:

Best the alps and the feeling of safety
    Worst Swiss ar a bit creepy and the bars are bland

juan
    Free Member

Worst – TJ can make it to here in less than an hour.

Now I am just wetting myself with laughter…

Nice best: The countryside.
    Worst the people the fricking useless living human being…

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Near Southport

Best Thing The sand dunes and the pinewoods

Worst thing The wind (which blows 367 days of the year)

GEDA
    Free Member

Best things:
    Bikes on buses

Uplift 1 hour away

mini DH in local woods

Great lakes and beaches and woods for the kids and really safe.

Worst things:
    The coming months of Nov till April.
    Miss my family, friends and home.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

North Devon

Best bit: Cracking beaches, relatively low populace, the odd bit of surf now and again, mega road riding, close to Exmoor & Quantocks

Worst bits: Boring local mtb, local soil that turns to evil clay as soon as a cloud appears, grumpy farmers with snarling mutts, Emmits/Grockles leaving bloody litter everywhere (it's so much cleaner around here in the Winter), millions of tourists in the water gawping at you as you're surfing straight towards their head

I still miss Plymouth. I'd rather live here than That London though.

BadlyWiredDog

Edge of the Peak.

Best: ace gritstone trails on your doorstep.

Worst: it does rain occasionally.

simonk
    Free Member

Plymouth…

Like:- Dartmoor and the countryside and being by the sea
    Dislike:- Plymouth as a whole, being so far away from everything

Really wish i was back in Norway….Bergen would be lovely 😀

wombat

Small town in North Yorkshire

Best
    National park 5 miles away
    Great biking
    Good transport links (close to A1M & on east coast mainline)
    Family nearby
    Friendly LBS

Worst
    Sheep are sometimes a bit loud in the field at the end of the road

Can't think of anywhere I'd rather live at the mo

NZCol

Wellington, NZ

Best
    Affordable fantastic view from house – natives trees->blue sea->snow capped mountains
    25min cycle to centre of town passing kayak storage shed so can stop and paddle, or 1hr with scenic bays option
    4hr mtb from from front door with about 10min on tarseal
    Very safe place
    Good nightlife, sport, food, friendly people

Worst
    Long way from anywhere and family
    Bit windy on occasion

Toddboy
    Free Member

Brisbane, Aus.

Best
    Weather, beaches, lifestyle.

Worst
    Snakes, spiders, jellyfish, sharks, crocs, Aussie beer.

montylikesbeer

Rossendale, Lancashire:

Best: Superb trails, Lee Quarry, superb ale on tap, great mates, not too far from family, great bike shop, 40 mins from the dales.

Worst: 3 hour road commute every day, lower down in the valley a bit rough, sue is leaving the Buck in a fortnight, it has a weird rainy micro climate

lowey

Sunny Bolton

Best : Certain areas are still very nice to live in with nice pubs and nice people. Bank top Brewery is 5 mins walk. Riding from doorstep and Dales, Lakes, Peak and Wales all around an hour away.

Worst : Some areas are inhabited by life forms lower than that found in Leigh. Toss lives here.

hilldodger
    Free Member

small town in Surrey:

best – plenty of local riding you measure the width of in inches not yards!
    you can find rideable trails all year whatever the weather
    Wisley jumps and Esher shore if I'm feeling 'rad'
    local shops/pubs (for local people), plus farmer markets, pick your own etc !
    friendly, zero crime rate community with neighbours you actually want to stoip and chat with
    trees, lots of them
    london half an hour by train plus excellent rail/road links to most places I'd want to visit
    15 minute bike ride to work across the fields

worst – ummmmmmmmm, local bike shop would be good I s'pose other than that pretty content 🙂

jimster
    Free Member

Malvern –

Best – the hills

Worst – tourists and being so far from a decent beach break.

nedrapier

Wivenhoe, Essex.

Best: better weather this side of the country, peaceful, beautiful scenery (Constable country), good friends 100yards away, girlfriend lives here, a few woods with some fun little trails for a half hour, hour long blatt

Worst: 3 hours a day and £4K a year getting to work and back, no hills to speak of, miles from any "proper" riding, wrong side of London from anywhere we ususally go at weekends, family all South or West of London. Last train back from London 22:18.

compositepro
    Free Member

i live just across the road from the flouch inn…you know where the people go over mickleden edge t get to cut gate

moved there to go riding …thought it would be the best bit

the actual best bit is theres few and far people for at least 5 days

worst bit

everyone turning up at weekends

oh forgot to add the woman who NOW owns the pub now does B&B

I am spending lots of time in bicester now though so the quiet week became a moot point

Jamie
    Free Member

Peterborough:

Worst: There is no best…..and after spending last weekend down in Sheffield, did the Great Yorkshire Run, coming back down the A1 I fancied riding straight past the turn-off for this particular pisshole.

Selled
    Free Member

Brixlegg, Tirol, Austria

Best : Mountains

Worst : No chip shop.

yoshimi

Chorley – in general, some nice aresa to live and tsome that aren't so…

Best – Bit where I live is semi-rural, canal boats going past the front of the house, babbling brook at the back, views of Healy Nab, Rivington pretty much out of my back door, lots of good riding close by, Lakes and Dales within an hour, some really good local shops – close to Mancheter, Bolton and Preston for nights out

Worst – Town centre is dying (mobile phone shops, travel agents, hairdressers, charity shops, loads of pubs closed down) still have a good night out but that comes down to friends rather than the place, trains dont run late enough (suppose thats a problem in a lot of places though), walkers that dont like me riding on footpaths 😈

TNH
    Free Member

Central London. It's great here.

oddjob
    Free Member

Ringsted, Denmark
    Worst – always windy, no hills or anything resembling a mountain. Introverted, rather unexciting people and stupidly expensive and no decent food shops anywhere
    Best – Completely safe, good social security benefits such as maternity leave, inexpensive child care and good public transport.

Looking forward to leaving again, but it's been a good place to live for 5 years and a great place to have kids.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Leeds. I also disagree with Ton, Leeds is a great city.
    Best: great access to countryside, great restaurants, good shopping, live v near airport so handy for holidays, nice compact city so doesn't feel too huge.
    Worst; 6 hours from my Dad.

UncleFred
    Free Member

British Virgin Islands

Best – Endless summer, Beaches, Social life, Surfing from Oct-April, riding year round,diving whenever i want to, friends who work for charter companies that regulary borrow million dollar boats for the weekends, fairly cheap cost of living, low taxes, easy access to the rest of the Caribbean.

Worst – Overt racism against any white expat. Chance that the next hurricane is going to blow us away. Regular Earthquakes. Very limited possibilities of changing your job due to work permit legislation. Government can and do terminate work permits for no apparent reason. Lots of Gun crime. No Singletrack, driving standard is the poorest in any country i've been too. Cruise ships doubling the population of the island. Infrastructure that barely copes.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Marsden. W.Yorks.
    Good – brilliant place to live…
    Bad -Veg shop can be a bit hit and miss, as can the curry house……

montylikesbeer

Was in Marsden with the Mickey Mouse Mountaineering crew on Saturday.

We were on the ale train trip from Stalybridge to 'uddersfield via Marsden.

Right nice drop of light ale in the Riverhead Brewery tap and a last one at the railway before we carried on.

Might have to return me thinks

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Village in Wiltshire

Best- Trails from my front door. Wiltshire has more bridleway than any other English county other than Cumbria. Downland scenery.

Worst- said trails not very challenging and turn to unridable crap in winter.
    Being in S England which is generally over crowded, over priced, over rated and unfriendly.
    Swindon is the nearest city

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

st andrews

good – cracking little town, great uni, beautiful place to be, in scotland (and therefore relatively accessible quality riding within a couple of hours), lots of friends, relatively good rail links from leuchars (30 min bike or 7 min bus ride away), not too many nationalist scots, low crime and the neds don't seem to cause us any obther, lots of students, always see people you know in the street, the whey pat tavern

bad – EXPENSIVE (aparently the tesco here is or was the 2nd most expensive in the world (in terms of choice of cheaper goods etc), now there is an aldi things are a bit cheaper, but not much) and £300/month/room rent is as cheap as it gets pretty much, and its still a dump (my sofa is held together with ducktape…)
    not a particular fan of the lbs (sorry luke) – £4 for 8 thin washers? WTF?!
    windy
    always see people you know in the street
    tourists/golfists
    my head of course being a work fanatic, giving us LOADS of work for virtually no credits… grrr…
    local riding is somewhat limited (although it just means i buy more bikes to mix it up 8))

kpt1972
    Free Member

Pro's – montgomery mid wales – good riding all within an hour,crime rate almost non existant

Cons – Expensive due to lack of choice,work prospects not to good due to geography, still miss llangollen and berwyns

ourmaninthenorth

Manchester

Good: like Ian Brown said, it's got everything except a beach.

Bad: See "good".

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Best and worst things about where you live.’ is closed to new replies.