Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Best and worst things about where you live.
  • geoffj

Perthshire
    Best – access to the countryside and lots of fresh clean air

Worst – no decent fruit and veg shops or markets = expensive food

racefaceec90

devizes wilts. best thing:- close to pewsey vale,the ridgeway and salisbury plain. worst thing:- there is no decent record shop in town,(but 500 hairdressers!!!)

Smee
    Free Member

Borders

Best – the natural trails.
    Worst – **** drivers on their way to kitty litter trail centres.

sadexpunk

lincoln – best, theres not a lot of crime compared to other cities. its a decent, quiet place to bring up your kids.

worst, theres not a fat sight of inspiring stuff to ride straight out your door.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Bristol,

Good: actual riding to be had <1 mile from the city centre, great hub for all sorts of riding in all directions.

Bad: Bike crime.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Near Welshpool

Pros – low crime, you can leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the car and nothing happens, people sell eggs at the roadside with an 'honesty box', 1 hour from all main trail centres plus heaps of natural trails on doorstep

Cons – Its the 'Valley of Death' average age here is 80, they all like things 'just so', bungalows are for 'old people only' (really?!), ambulances and funerals.

Surfr
    Free Member

Mid Wales

Good: Sea, Mountains, Trail centres and natural remote trails starting from the doorstep.

Bad: ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Leith

Good -Everything you need in a city but can ride a bike into the countryside in under an hour

Bad – expensive – £3 a pint, property is expensive, no decent veg shops around

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Fremantle, Western Australia

Good: Sea, beaches, weather, work, riding, 3 million people and so much space and some great tasting ales.

Bad: Price of bikes and kit, useless eBay, Aussie drivers, hardly anything open on a Sunday, slack shop staff and "laid back" approach to everything, terrible websites, family and friends back in UK, price of beer.

I'm only here for a max of 4 years though so no doubt it'll be a chapter in my life I'll look back on with great fondness.

Mackem

Basque country.

Bad – lack of a decent curry house.
    Best – Mountains/Sea/city/countryside right next to each other.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Ulverston

Good – Pubs… and the Lake District is just over –> there 😉

Bad – If you go just over –> there, the tourists really get on your nerves by driving everywhere at 20mph and slow for every corner and oncoming vehicle (or stop if it is larger than a Micra… on a normal single carriageway road ffs – if it was a singletrack lane I could understand it!)

ton

leeds

worst is it's leeds

best are all the road's out of it.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Best – the natural trails.
    Worst – **** drivers on their way to kitty litter trail centres.

Goan – so – err – we wont be seeing you on 26th Kirroughtree and 27th Dalbeattie then? Or are you at least able to NOT include Vauxhall Meriva drivers? 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Bicester, 10 miles north of Oxford
    best – mmmm not sure I can think of any!!!
    worst – no sea, no proper Welsh hills, the only place to buy food is frigging TESCO! I could continue ……

iDave
    Free Member

Small village near Stafford

Best – cannock chase within spitting distance, peak district an hour away, great network of lanes for road rides, great apartment, 80 min on the train to London, 4 airports within an hour……

Worst – The phucking shameful and VILE climate, village shop closes at 5pm, best pub is a mile and a half away – that's it really. Love it.

Smee
    Free Member

SimonRalli – I'm busy doing family stuff that weekend.

I'll discount the locals from the **** drivers bit, they at least know what to expect round the next corner.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Ulverston…
    best…Lakes is just a bit that way >>>>>
    worst…Barrow-in-Furness is just a bit that way <<<<<

8)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tamworth

Best thing…nowt

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Worst thing see above.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Dundee
    worst: the wind, lack of decent eating
    best: proximity to the rest of scotland

darrell
    Free Member

Norway
    Best – it's Norway
    worst – not much of a social life and beer is 7 quid a pint but more importantly my family and friends are somewhere else

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hampton
    best – London near, seaside not too far, some riding nearby
    worst – mountains, what are they?

barca
    Free Member

Stockport
    Best thing(s) – I can ride into the Peak District on lovely roads or off road with about 2 miles of tarmac in total between my house and Edale. The River Goyt is just down the road, ace for kayaking.
    Worst thing(s) – 1970's architecture and the councils desire to paint everything it owns an awful colour green.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Couldn't agree more with ton!
    I'm in Boroughbridge,
    Best, 7 pubs & 5 takeaways
    Worst, none of them deliver.

chvck
    Free Member

Near Oswestry

Best: Loads of riding not too far away (some from doorstep too)
    Worst: Oswestry, horrible place

jam-bo

Tavistock, Devon
    +
    right on the edge of dartmoor. Great Climbing, kayaking, riding
    awesome DH tracks five minutes away
    north Cornwall coast is only half hour away
    pasties

it rains. A lot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nottingham

Best: – peaks is right on the doorstep.
    Worst: – have you ever met the locals?

luke
    Free Member

Purbecks-
    best- good riding, scenery, countryside, close to coast
    bad- overinflated property prices due to holiday homes, tourists

druidh
    Free Member

Balerno(near Edinburgh)

Best – access onto nice trails and good roads without having to drive anywhere

Worst – TJ can make it to here in less than an hour.

jonjon

Hope, Derbyshire

Best hmm the deserted trails come 3pm on a sunday
    Worst still dabbing on The Beast after 5 years

grynch
    Free Member

geneva, switz.

best beautiful scenery great rides, mountain trails everywhere

worst the french

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hairychested – used to live in Hampton. Can't believe you have not mentioned Monafs!

Munge-Chick – used to live in Buckingham – you have Bicester Village there I guess.

Druid – used to live in Balerno – in the 70s the best thing was that bouncy thing inside a big plastic dome like in that Rolling Stones video – but there seems to be a big secondary school now built where the park was.

Onzadog – heh – was at Uni at Nottingham – some locals there are quite special (well one of them anyway) 🙂

Ton – used to live in Leeds – there's loads of great things about Leeds – great night life away from the big obvious places.

Raceface – used to live in Chapmanslade not too far from Devizes – at least you have lots of pretty crop circles around you, the aliens must be digging some bits 🙂

Jambo – not good news – am about to move to Devon! If you bump into me out on the trails say hi!

As for Dumfries where I am right now – well simply tons of both natural riding plus the Stanes which are all weather and can be ridden in all this rain no probs.

Worst – well maybe there is quite a drug problem, and the town seems to be dying right now with one heck of a lot of shop closures, but hey, I've lived all over the place and it's not that bad a place at all to live really. Maybe the worst is that in 2005 I tried to look for work here but there was absolutely nothing for me.

jam-bo

It rains almost as much in totnes….

AlasdairMc

Balerno (near Edinburgh)

Best – Pentlands on our doorstep

Worst – Druidh lives here too (only joking, never met him)
    Worst – the only competitor to the Scotmid supermarket is the smaller Scotmid supermarket

DaveGr
    Free Member

Stratford (as in Shakespeare not London)

Best – wherever you go for a weekend's riding away you know the trails are better then here and you'll have a great time. Near Leamington or Redditch if you want a "fun" night out. Two hours from a lot of decent riding. Good lbs.

Worst – most knarly trail is riding off a kerb. Try to get a value for money tradesman? That's if they'll even turn up. Friday/Saturday nights are full of stuck up locals* or "outsiders" looking for trouble. Day times are full of tourists.

* these locals are people who've moved here and think they're better than anyone else 'cos they're "posh".

scuttler

Best – low crime, nice area.
    Worst – two cars stolen from the drive the other night. Out-of-area tea-leaves though – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/attention-upvc-door-owners-major-lock-vulnerabilities

donsimon
    Free Member

Simon Ralli – Member

Hairychested – used to live in Hampton. Can't believe you have not mentioned Monafs!

Munge-Chick – used to live in Buckingham – you have Bicester Village there I guess.

Druid – used to live in Balerno – in the 70s the best thing was that bouncy thing inside a big plastic dome like in that Rolling Stones video – but there seems to be a big secondary school now built where the park was.

Onzadog – heh – was at Uni at Nottingham – some locals there are quite special (well one of them anyway)

Ton – used to live in Leeds – there's loads of great things about Leeds – great night life away from the big obvious places.

Raceface – used to live in Chapmanslade not too far from Devizes – at least you have lots of pretty crop circles around you, the aliens must be digging some bits

Jambo – not good news – am about to move to Devon! If you bump into me out on the trails say hi!

As for Dumfries where I am right now – well simply tons of both natural riding plus the Stanes which are all weather and can be ridden in all this rain no probs.

Worst – well maybe there is quite a drug problem, and the town seems to be dying right now with one heck of a lot of shop closures, but hey, I've lived all over the place and it's not that bad a place at all to live really. Maybe the worst is that in 2005 I tried to look for work here but there was absolutely nothing for me.

If I may ask a personal question, are you on the run, Simon?

Me, Sierra Norte de Madrid.

Best: 300+ days of sunshine and dry riding, great riding and few people.
    Worst: erm? erm? Sometimes it rains/snows…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Don Simon

Nah – just moved around a lot. I was thinking about contributing to that Scotish thread. As a kid I had quite a Boarders accent, and if I claimed to be English people would have mocked me. Now my accent has totally gone, and if I claim to be Scotish people will mock me so I just tend to say I am British.

I also had 4 years in Ipswich, some time in Holyhead (Anglesey), India, plus the 2 years in Gibraltar of course. Now Gibraltar IS a country with limited singletrack, but it took me over a year to find!

It will be interesting to see where I end up after Devon – I will also be living in Peru for a few months too next year in "my house" I donated some money for in the rainforest.

Drac

I live here

I live here

DrJ

Copenhagen: fantastic architecture, cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, and it's the world capital of totty.

But it f***ing expensive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Best and worst things about where you live.’ is closed to new replies.