Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Best 27.2 dropper seatpost
  • mouth0rgan
    Free Member

Hi

I’m after a dropper seatpost, would go for the rockshox but no sign of it in my size, so is it just the gravity dropper or Ks i7 that I have to choose from?
    If so which is best?

I mainly ride welsh trail centres and singletrack on my 2006 orange 5, i’m 5Ft10″ and weight 82kgms

Cheers

mlke
    Free Member

I’m interested too – all my posts are 27 2

rockhopper70

i think they are the only two too….mines a 27.2 also and was thinking of investing…
    reviews awaited in anticpation…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have the very basic, non-remote, 3″ drop Gravity Dropper.
    It’s ace. I went for the simple one to reduce things that can go wrong, it just works and that’s it and doesn’t weigh too much either.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I can only add that I’ve had 2. A Pure (for a about 3 months before it died) and temorarily a used gravity dropper (via the classifieds here). The GD is far superior – just cause it’s simple, chunky, spares are readily available and easy to fit. Butt ugly though!

I just cant justify buying one as it would cost as much as one of my bikes. But if I had the cash – then GD is the way to go. IMO.

Pz_Steve

Hi,

Been through the same dilemma looking for a 27.2″ dropper…

I had the older version of the Pure post (K850i? – I think) and it too died after a couple of months. After that I found something called an “All Mountain Post” from Precision Cycling Components advertised on the STW classifieds (only available new from the USA – http://www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com/ ) so I got that. It lasted about 18 months before the remote broke. I bodged a fix using an old, pre-indexing, roadie gear lever (ugly as sin, but it worked) and started saving for a Gravity Drooper.

I’ve now had the GD for a couple of months and (not wanting to tempt fate or anything), it’s been fine so far. A bit clunky, perhaps, but pretty intuitive and seems to have exactly the right amount of travel for any situation (I have the 3 + 1 version).

Incidentally, I think that one of the other – grossly inferior – mags reviewed seat posts this month, which included another 27.2″ make that was new to me. Unfortunately, as I was skimming in the newsagent and didn’t buy a copy, I can’t remember the make. Might be worth having a look at (or dropping an email to the editors at) MBR, though.

Sorry for the rambling reply. Hope it helps, anyway.

kimbers

xfusion hilo
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/x-fusion-hilo-post
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-L3wQu8AE[/video]

available from jensonusa

Liftman

Gravity dropper, fugly but works.
    KSi7, beautiful but doesnt work.

lucien

I have a GD in 27.2 on a big heavy Kona and works a treat – easy to take apart and service, nothing complicated, rock solid (dated) engineering – but, everything you would want. Bit flexy at the top end of travel if you have it extended too far from the seat clamp, so if anything would buy a longer length than needed.

Compared to my Joplin that’s been back for service X2 under warranty, it’s a no-brainer

accu
    Free Member

+1 for the gravity dropper…..

had on my other bike (31.6)first a speedball and later a KS…both didn`t work properly after a while..burned money !

like liftman says ..GD fugly but works…in any condition..

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Hi mouthorgan, I have a Pure Ks i7 on my Orange P7. It has given me a couple of problems so far. About two weeks after fitting it the saddle started to spin around when the top sliding portion became loose. Took it back to where I bought it and its been fine since. The other issue is the seat clamp which is not great and does not give very acurate adjustment of the saddle position, I think its a very cheap and poor designed clamp for such an expensive piece of kit. Having said that, for the riding i do i would strggle to go back to a fixed seat post now I’ve had the luxury of the dropper for six months.

mouth0rgan
    Free Member

Many thanks for the replies, gonna email JensonUSA about shipping costs as I like the Hilo a lot, however I’m a bit cautious as it looks like a very new product and if it goes t*t’s up then getting it serviced will be a pain in the rear
    Hmmmm, decisions decisions

Northwind

Gravity Dropper as well, simple, looks like it was made in a shed by a blind man but very reliable, dead easy to service (literally breaks down into about 10 bits and all you need is a multitool and possibly molegrips), parts easily available though a bit pricey as you have to import them, still, they’re there if you need them. Oh and light too. Only downer is that the multi-drop isn’t very effective- it works literally by having a big hole in the inner post which makes a weak spot, quite a few people have snapped or bent them there.

Oh but one real critism, mine is great but I’ve seen some lately and heard of a few more that came with a lot of play from new… And my own multi-drop inner that I bought is the same, seals seem to be fitted wrong. The MBR test one was the same. So QC may have slipped a bit but they sent me new shims for free and it took 10 minutes to fix.

mouth0rgan
    Free Member

Got me a HiLo seatpost made by X-fusion, got it from action sports in Germany, ordered it on friday evening

Remote kit

Crappy instructions

can’t wait to fit it

5lab

if you want more travel, I got a rase in a 27.2mm – 9″ of love. Pricey, though

http://www.rasebike.com/cart/

LoCo
    Free Member

http://www.dsp-racing.com/seatpost.asp

These will be available soon, I’m distributing them in the UK. 😀

el_diablo
    Free Member

I’ve got a KS on my 5, after 5 weeks it started to spin clockwise and wouldn’t go down, sent it back and it’s been fine for the last few months. It’s actually smoother now it’s been rebuilt. Leisure Lakes told me they all break once and are then much smoother and more reliable once they’ve been rebuilt.

Must be some 8 year old cheap labourer in Taiwan who makes them and a bearded man in a white jacket somewhere in the UK who fixes them!

mouth0rgan
    Free Member

all coming out of the woodwork now

shindiggy
    Free Member

Loco, any information on cost and weight of the product? Need to know how much weight its going to add on.

shindiggy
    Free Member

* Double post*

LoCo
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for the test and promo samples, they’re just having the final tweats at the factory.

belugabob
    Free Member

@mouthorgan

I’ve been trying to get info about the Hi-Lo from the UK distributor but, in the time honoured tradtion of UK companies, they’ve not replied to my email. (It’s a good job there’s not a financial crisis and they’ve got all of the money they need 😉 )

Would you mind taking some measurements for me?

1/ Total distance from top of seat tube to seat rail, when the post is fully extended.
    2/ Height of the red collar, above the seat post.
    3/ The distance between the red collar and the top of the thinner tube (where it joins the seat clamp assembly), when the post is full dropped.

Sounds very tempting to order one from Germany, but would prefer the UK if possible.

Thanks,

Bob

wors

I’m still waiting for the test and promo samples, they’re just having the final tweats at the factory.

If you’d like a loyal customer to try one out for you, just ask. 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Haha Wors, ones going on my new bike, when I decide on what it is 😀
    The other is going on a team bike, as they do silly miles in all weathers and I want them to try and break it.
    Dave is doing the coast to coast challenge so I think he’s the tester!

http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk/

Stu_N

Shame the big guys like Rockshox aren’t doing a 27.2; anyone know what of the KS, X-Fusion and DSP ones are genuinely different posts rather than rebadges? (Not accusing or anything, just interested!)

Of what is out there at the moment, it sounds like the Gravity Dropper is the one to go for?

As a separate question, how easy is it to remove a seatpost with a remote lever? Need to take it out to stand the bike up in the car, I’d imagine with a remote post that would be harder?

wors

It was worth a try simon, never mind 🙁

LoCo
    Free Member

DSP has nothing to do with the other two 😀

Sorry wors, I’ll do you a super deal on one when they’re in though 😉

wors

I’ll hold you to that. Nice one.

5lab

stu – depends how you route the cables. Mine are ziptied along the top tube, but with enough slack to pull the post completely out of the bike if i want (on the RASE the cable goes to the bottom of the post, by the clamp). you could use one of those velcro ties for the rear cabletie which would give you more flexibility

mouth0rgan
    Free Member

belugabob

1/ Total distance from top of seat tube to seat rail, when the post is fully extended.
    2/ Height of the red collar, above the seat post.
    3/ The distance between the red collar and the top of the thinner tube (where it joins the seat clamp assembly), when the post is full dropped.

Answers
    1. Total length from minimum insertion line to seat rail…32cm (extended)
    2. from minimum insertion line to bottom of red collar 14.5 cm
    3. haven’t fitted it yet so havent dropped it, but it’s 100mm drop

All measurements are approx as done with an old ruler and only 3 hrs kip in the last 36hrs
    Hope they are of some help, can highly recommend the service from actionsports as emails have been bilingual, able to track parcel and on time….will post some pics when fitted and if I ever get a chance to ride again will let you know how it performs

belugabob
    Free Member

@mouthorgan

Thanks for the info – just realised that I was a bit vague about the measurements.
    I was expecting the post to be inserted all the way into the frame, with the red collar flush against the seat tube.
    Sounds like you are a busy guy, don’t bust a gut to do some more measurements. Any time,will do.

Cheers, Bob

chiefgrooveguru

My GD Classic has just arrived – it is shiny and I like the way it works, clever! Can’t tell you how it performs in practice for another month or so…

nick24
    Free Member

I Have also just got myself an x fusion hilo from Action sports in Germany, about £168 with remote and arrived in 2 days which was pretty good.

I havn’t used it properly yet out on the trails but it seem ok. Seems a little slow to go back to the full extension but I guess thats normal. I cant seem to find much info on the net about the post or any videos of a remote one working to compare mine with.

GEDA
    Free Member

I just got a Hi-Lo and fitted it. Seems to work very well. Not sure if it is a re-badge as you can put more or less air in the valve at the bottom. Anyway

Good points.

No slop what so ever.
    Stops at any point in the range.
    Can control to return rate by adjusting the pressure.
    Feels like it is good quality.

Bad:
    Seat clamp strange design that X-Fusion say you need to use Fiber Paste so the seat does not move without over tightening the bolts. I have not got a torq wrench so I did it up as much as I dared. It did seem to have some gummy stuff in the clamp so we will have to see how it goes.
    Heavy?
    Remote. Maybe this is the same for all remotes but how much for a bit of gear cable and a little switch? £50 b****y h*** I am sure I could have made one myself £50! Do not buy one with the remote! Must have cost less than £2 to make so the mark up makes me feel very stupid. The guides were also made of Coke can like material so split straight away when I was installing the guide.

In fact I think I will write to them and complain as even the quality of the guide tubes was a bit rubbish.

Unknown:
    How durable it is.

Junkyard
    Free Member

GD FUGLY but last for ever and has a lifetime guarantee in the unlikely event of mishap.
    other are prettier and better whent hey work but this is th euLK and mud and crap mean issues.
    Dont object to other seatposts but they are not as reliable , nor as industrial as a GD

arfur
    Free Member

Just fitted my new Hilo post (direct from USA), i’m more than happy with the action. Only problem is with the seat clamp, no matter how tight i fasten the bolt, the seat still moves with a bit of pressure.
    GEDA – have you tried this ‘Fiber Paste’, or has anyone else experienced this problem or got any other solutions?

hora
    Free Member

On the GD- who CARES what it looks like?? Its covered by your ass/thighs anyway guys

Stuey01
    Free Member

Dug up this thread from a few weeks back because a few of you have bought Hilo posts, just wondering if you have any thoughts on the hilo?

I’m thinking about picking one up and reviews are hard to come by.

Cheers,

carbon337
    Free Member

stuey – great minds think alike – i was just reading some old threads using the search about hilo’s and when i returned to the main page I seen this.

It must be a sign – i will get one from that Active sports germany site I think.

Looking at the pricing the non-remote for near enough 100 quid seems reasonable to me.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Got a bit excited and ordered one. 139euro from Action Sports in Germany.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Best 27.2 dropper seatpost’ is closed to new replies.