Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 229 total)
  • Benjis' rant in the new mag
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

rounded mountain biker

this possibly applies to me! :mrgreen:

yossarian
    Free Member

Is benji not going to come on here and defend himself

How wet?

Wookster

Well I’ve gone roadie I’ll be honest I’m 30 min drive from any kind of trail even cheeky ones and I have two kids so a road bike let’s me go for a spin in an hour rather than an MTB that takes two! With the kids etc I push the time about as much as I can 5am start or leave when they go to bed. I agree with Jedi any bikes a good bike. Enjoyed the article he’s done well to get so many peoples heckles up!!

Over time I’ve started to read the MTB mags less and less I am happy with my bikes I just want to ride as much as I can on any surface!! Plus CX bikes are a right laugh!! 🙂

dave360

Just read it. In 20 odd years of mountain biking a lot of riding pals have dropped by the wayside, citing baby/work/relationship reasons. Sure there’s always time pressure on ride time; I’ve had jobs with a 3 hour commute, I’ve been unemployed, I’ve had a very ill spouse, I’ve raised two children. But I’ve always kept riding. My take is that if you over compromise you lose everything, so you need to stay selfish to stay sane. Sometimes this isn’t easy, but when I’m on the way to the trails and see the dead eyed fat bellied blokes my age queuing to get into Tesco or the boot sale I know I’ve got it right. Keep challenging ’em Benj.

singletrackjon
    Free Member

Right, you can read the first half of the article here…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/07/singletrack-issue-67-digital-issue-teaser/

…if you’d like to wade into the argument armed with precisely half the facts 😉

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It is just a well written and touching piece about what cycling means to him.

We don’t all have to agree with him, we don’t all have to do or believe the same thing. There is no right or wrong here.

One of the great things about the mag is that writers actually do have personal views, and the writing is usually pretty high quality – and sometimes inspirational.

Which is good – because as a journal for investigating the industry (CRC CC fraud anyone?) it is pants. And I’ll believe it has consumer interests at heart when I see an article called “The ten worst bike shops” 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Right, you can read the first half of the article here…

Singletrack Issue 67 Digital Issue Teaser

…if you’d like to wade into the argument armed with precisely half the facts Bugger, cracking article(so far), i’ll need to jump in to a shop somewhere to read the second half now! :mrgreen:

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I’ve read the first page and a bit. LOL and in a good way. I like it.

As always on this place, folks just need to stop taking it all so damn seriously.

Peace and love 😎

phil56

But he goes beyond saying what cycling means to him – to others who have made different choices in their lives he says ‘step back and ask yourself just what you are doing with your life’. That is self righteous crap, non the less so because he makes the same point in his introduction.

I spend more time mountain biking now than ever before because my kids have grown up. When they were younger I happily gave up time in the saddle to involve myself in their lives and in pastimes that were easier to share together. I wouldn’t give up one second of that time to spend it on a bike.

I’ve never met the guy, but those who have seem to speak well of him. Still, based on this article he comes across as the sort of person I try hard to avoid – anyone who describes their hobby as ‘religion’, and lambasts those who don’t seem to treat his religion with the same zeal, from my experience tend to be one dimensional and dull as ditch water.

When the group I ride with is out on Sundays mornings the banter never stops for the 3 hours or so we are together – and we rarely, if ever, talk about bikes. For a short time we share a joint passion, but it’s the non biking interests and experiences of a very eclectic bunch that makes it such fun. In that sort of company I suspect Benji would be well out of his depth.

bullheart
    Free Member

The Morocco article is ace!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Is benji not going to come on here and defend himself

+1.

Bit surprising really..

Shows either he hasnt read this thread or perhaps the whole thing was nothing more than a troll?………

Klunk
    Free Member

what a load of old cobblers.

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm. Read the first page and have no interest in reading any more, or buying Singletrack.

imnotverygood

I agree with Benji. It’s like sometimes I want to go out riding my bike & my mum makes me tidy my room instead… & girls. Sometimes they try & kiss you and want to talk about stuff. I mean yuk!! I just want to hang out at the pump track.

damo2576
    Free Member

But he goes beyond saying what cycling means to him – to others who have made different choices in their lives he says ‘step back and ask yourself just what you are doing with your life’. That is self righteous crap, non the less so because he makes the same point in his introduction.

This.

You could easily turn that back round on him.

slimjim78
    Free Member

My 2p.

Benji touches on some fair points, but his aggression (artistically liscened no doubt)is tiring and, frankly, annoying.

The article also smacks of someone who never met the right woman. Or possibly any woman if riding as much as he claims?

If thats what it trully takes to be a MTB’er, then im totally happy not being one, i’ll just stick to being someone who enjoys riding my MTB (when time permits).

Oh, and I feel blessed that I discovered road bikes last year after 15 years of rigidly sticking to the 26″ format. It has completely broadened my horizons.
    For someone to rant about not opening ones mind to ‘new music’ (totally aside from the actual subject) and then bemoan people who open thier minds to other forms of cycling is just plain hypocritical

Totally agree with the dig at the retrobike geeks though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I agree with Benji. It’s like sometimes I want to go out riding my bike & my mum makes me tidy my room instead… & girls. Sometimes they try & kiss you and want to talk about stuff. I mean yuk!! I just want to hang out at the pump track.

Or I could have just written that 🙂

Mike_D
    Free Member

The article also smacks of someone who never met the right woman. Or possibly any woman if riding as much as he claims?

He’s fairly recently married, so I don’t think it’s that 🙂

Totally agree with the dig at the retrobike geeks though.

You’d be wrong there, it’s about the riding for plenty of those guys too.

Can’t help thinking that Ben’s sort of missed the point of the “People’s Judean Front” skit, though 😉

racefaceec90

i’ll hear nothing bad said about the retrobike crowd slimjim78 😉 as i frequent the forum (do not have a retrobike myself though/although my lovely new charge duster mid is retro modern) i did swap my 10 anthem x2 for it (and don’t for 1 second regret it) as i wanted to go back to a simpler bike.let people enjoy whatever bike they love (tis all cycling in my book/which can only be a good thing 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

no, there are good folks on the retrobikes, but ive come across plenty who refuse to accept anything modern and in the spirit of the article, they really are missing out.

I have nostalgia in bundles and a mini retro fetish so I know these things 😉

Glad Benji is married, she’ll make an honest man of him hopefully.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just read the free bit. Poor article. People inventing a controversial viewpoint never ring true and IMO “he doth protest too much”

Yes its all about the riding for me – and I simply don’t need any tech thats new. Nice light strong frame, fork that works, decent hydro discs. I need that but all available for many a year.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Interesting that he criticises those whose musical tastes haven’t changed since they were 22, but he has done exactly the same by not moving on from MTB’ing. Maybe he should try kite surfing or sailing or stamp collecting or something. Just MTB’ing is pretty one dimensional.

Personally I think he sounds pretty pathetic. It’s the sort of smug, superior journalism that made me stop buying MBR a few years ago when as far as they were concerned everyone who didn’t ride a 5-6″ FS with baggies and a Giro whilst riding at Afan was just not getting it, and inferior to them.

However in the real world, despite what we all think, bikes are not cool; particularly when ridden by overweight men who ride round the woods getting covered in mud. To the general public bikes are a child’s toy or at best a child’s mode of transport until they can afford a car. Adults who ride bikes only do so because they either can’t afford a car, have lost their licence, or are a bit weird. Certainly not cool.

So arguing amongst ourselves about which is “cooler” – road, MTB, XC, Downhill, CX or unicycle is irrelevant. It’s the same as stamp collectors arguing about whether collecting British or French stamps is cooler.

For me, it’s just about riding bikes and I don’t care how many gears, how much suspension, how fat your tyres or what you wear. If you are on a bike and having fun then I’m happy for you.

Just don’t sneer at me because I am riding a clean hard-tail – because I just might be having more fun than you.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve met a few people with that attitude. It’s the kind of elitist bollocks that people who have little responsibility dress themselves up in.

I used to ride as often as I could. 5 years ago, before I had 2 kids, I’d ride every day and in the summer I’d try and go out twice on both Saturday and Sunday!

Life changes. My kids come first. It’s tough to scale back the thing you love but it has to be done. It’s easy to tell people to make time but you know what? It’s 8pm and I’ve just finished reading my eldest a bedtime story. I’ve been up since 5am and put in a full day’s work to make sure the mortgage is paid and there’s food on the table. My riding now consists of a 16 mile commute and the odd weekend blast. Tomorrow I’ll be taking myself off for a 60 miler on the road cos my mtb needs attention and I don’t have the time to sort it out.

step back and ask yourself just what you are doing with your life

I’m being a father to my kids, which means putting them first.

What are you doing benji? And does what you do actually matter?

slimjim78
    Free Member

bikes are not cool; particularly when ridden by overweight men who ride round the woods getting covered in mud

have we met? 😕

TheBrick
    Free Member

Comes across as a bit of a brat tbh.

Poorly structured argument which could be turned back on himself.

This is probably why it makes such a good troll, which begs the question was this why it was written? It’s not a article on a contentious subject to “provoke a debate” as there is nothing there of substance.

damo2576
    Free Member

However in the real world, despite what we all think, bikes are not cool; particularly when ridden by overweight men who ride round the woods getting covered in mud. To the general public bikes are a child’s toy or at best a child’s mode of transport until they can afford a car. Adults who ride bikes only do so because they either can’t afford a car, have lost their licence, or are a bit weird. Certainly not cool.

+1000

stevemakin

Blimey, thats quite some response to what is essentially a personal view on Bens MTB world, Ben states up front that its preachy and opinionated and thats what you get.

As a long time friend (and certainly one of the people who is tagged in the article) I see it as a clarion call to get back to what we love, there was a time between 5 and 10 years ago when everything our group of friends did revolved around mountainbikes, people changed their lives, their circumstances, their jobs even to be about bikes…

but things change, not always for the best but none the less they change

Its certainly made me sit up and take notice and think about making the time to get back the love.

And as a small aside, the Cross Fell/High Cup Nick article thats featured in the latest issue was also covered by us way back when, it was one of our lots stag ride, there’s a photo in that original article of the group of friends in the bothy at the top of Cross Fell from back then, that made me smile 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Blimey, thats quite some response to what is essentially a personal view on Bens MTB world, Ben states up front that its preachy and opinionated and thats what you get.

It’s ok to have an opinion but you need to have a decent well formed argument to back it up. If you print said opinion for many to read it’s seem strange to be surprised that a reaction has been provoked.

stevemakin

I don’t think for one minute that Ben is surprised at the reaction !

crikey
    Free Member

If you print it, you have to accept that some people may think the author to be misguided and silly…

druidh
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother – Member
    It is just a well written and touching piece

Except that it’s not.

I don’t agree with Mike Ferrentino much either but at least his articles tend to be well presented and seem to have a degree of thought behind them.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t think for one minute that Ben is surprised at the reaction !

My mistake it I read your post as if there was surprise. I still don’t think he formed he presented his case very well.

DavidB
    Free Member

Next time maybe he should just ring his mates up and shout at them instead?

grantway
    Free Member

Not interested in Road biking myself But there are others that want to ride through winter
    without ruining there mountain bike.
    I just cant see the point in this stupid thread Just dont read, a what road bike thread.
    Road bike riding cant be that bad all the Atherton’s ride them.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Its certainly made me sit up and take notice and think about making the time to get back the love.

Really?
    Would have made me think ”Jayzus, Ben needs to get over himself, I used to like him”

donsimon
    Free Member

As a long time friend (and certainly one of the people who is tagged in the article) I see it as a clarion call to get back to what we love, there was a time between 5 and 10 years ago when everything our group of friends did revolved around mountainbikes, people changed their lives, their circumstances, their jobs even to be about bikes…

Some people can live the dream, other people have different dreams and live those. If you feel you’ve made some sort of sacrifice, you’ve lost.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Firstly, I accept people are entitled to their opinion. The author has put his upon us and it’s great to have the forum as an opportunity for some to respond. Boriselbrus and Yossarian – wise, considered words indeed, and I agree.

Based on what I’ve read of the article in the sampler PDF, I’m not sure I feel I share ANY similarity with the author. It’s a ridiculously agressive, divisive piece of ranting / writing. Why the need?

Why are all bikes not good? Why is all cycling not good? What’s wrong with someone riding one bike for all, or having a choice of bikes to play with? Why does everyone have to ride down the incredible rocky chute that’s pictured? Just because there are bikes (and some riders) out there nowadays that CAN, it doesn’t mean they SHOULD. Plenty of my most enjoyable riding isn’t the death defying stuff that’s available in the Peak – but that’s fun at times too.

I’m baffled. It feels more than a troll, to be honest, and I’d say it’s very misjudged. I don’t know the complete socio-demographic of the readership of the magazine of course, but to try to pull apart your customers and pigeonhole them seems commercially odd, to say the least.

What’s wrong with ‘different’ and how on earth can anyone behave like they did when they discovered mountain bikes in the 1990s? I have a mortgage, career, family and, dare I say it, other interests in my life now. I fit cycling around my life as best I can. I love cycling – it’s hugely important to my physical and mental well being. I make time for it and I benefit from it. I have a wonderful, understanding wife, I have disposable income. Shit – I’ve got a cyclocross bike and a road bike. May I burn in hell.

Or not, I suspect.

slimjim78
    Free Member

+1

Right on

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Isn’t the point of the article to express his view and his love of his kind of cycling – and to start a discussion?

Or should all articles be neutral, objective in stance and bland in expression?

I don’t agree with perhaps 40% of what he says, I’d guess – just as I don’t agree with lots of what say Christopher Hitchens or Matthew Parris say – but I enjoy reading them. If you just read stuff or watch stuff, or listen to stuff to have your own prejudices confirmed isn’t that a bit sad?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think you are all too harsh…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Benjis' rant in the new mag’ is closed to new replies.