Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding on Isle of Man – From Peel ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

Heading to IOM for Family holls, got the OS map out and there appears to be a lot of Bridleways and Byways around Peel where were staying, anyone have local knowledge of the area know whats good and whats best to avoid ?
    Also, is there a nice route from Peel out to the trails at South Barrule ?

Cheers.

amplebrew

I’ve just come in from a night shift, so would struggle to give you a coherent reply at the moment, but if you drop me a line to brewking75ATgooglemailDOTcom I’ll be able to help you out.

I actually work in Peel and live just a few miles down the road.

Cheers,

Andy

Esme
    Free Member

While you’re waiting for Amplebrew to wake up, there’s some interesting stuff here

amplebrew

Esme – Member
    While you’re waiting for Amplebrew to wake up, there’s some interesting stuff here

That link above is spot on and shows some of the popular routes over here.

The Southern Comfort Loop is really good which you can join a short riding distance from Peel at the path that leads past Kerroodhoo Plantation just off the A27 coast road south of Peel.

The Hells 8 route is also recommended and you can start this from Kirk Michael which is just North of Peel and only just under a 7 mile ride north from Peel.

I would also definately make contact with either somone from the Loaghtan Loaded or visit the Manx MTB forum as there are numerous rides throughout the week.

If you’re wanting to get from Peel to South Barrule, there is a nice route that leads from Peel harbour through to St Johns which is the old railway track. From St Johns you would then have a road ride thorugh to South Barrule. This would only be just over 6 miles each way.

You can also ride over Peel Hill past Corrins Tower from the harbour, dropping down into Patrick near to the Raggatt, the take a route just off the A30 in Patrick which leads upto the old mines and then onto South barrule.

Or you have the option of riding on the road for a short distance to Glen Maye once you’ve dropped down into Patrick from Peel Hill, taking the path through Glen Mooar that ends up at the Round Table. You then go onto the ‘Whiskey Run,’ which is marked off as Bayr ny Skeddan on the OS map and get access into South Barrule from there.

What dates are you over?

simonm
    Free Member

many thanks, loads of great info and links. I’m over the weekend the TT ends for a week.

Cheers,
    Simon.

amplebrew

simonm – Member
    many thanks, loads of great info and links. I’m over the weekend the TT ends for a week.

Cheers,
    Simon.

That’s cool, hope you have a great time over on the IOM 8)

simonm
    Free Member

just out of intrest, whats the terrain like there ? rolling ? Steep / rocky Peaks like or varied depending on location ?

Route I think I’m going to do is Peel to the South Barrule plantation following the byways / bridleways via old railway line and Glen Maye.

May also try the one around Glenmooar..

Think of taking the 29er.

ta.

simonm
    Free Member

Had a fantastic ride out there chaps. Rode, Peel – Railway line – up some byways past some mines (!) to South Barule, did a lap of the red trail – battled around some boggy singletrack around the plantation to “Round Table” – Cracking rocky byway down to Lhargan plantation – up the road to Garey then down a cracking descent to Sleauwhallian then back on railway line.

One of the best rides I’ve ever done to be honest, cracking views, very quite, great singletrack and byway descents, reminded me of the Lakes… you chaps do well to keep it so quite !

wish I had chance to do more, that bridleway that ends above Glenvine looked cracking.

cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding on Isle of Man – From Peel ?’ is closed to new replies.