Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 229 total)
  • Benjis' rant in the new mag
  • Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Surely we are all cyclists, watever bike we choose to ride, unless its a bmx, which is just for children.

Tell that to Jamie Bestwick, Rueben Alcantana, Matt Hoffman, Dave Mirra, Scotty Cramner, Daniel Dhers or any number of BMX riders that have more bottle and riding ability than anyone on here could ever dream of.

LOL

I bet that hook really smarts ;-P

Way to take things too seriously chap 😎

Gary_C

Tell that to Jamie Bestwick, Rueben Alcantana, Matt Hoffman, Dave Mirra, Scotty Cramner, Daniel Dhers

Who ??

Ah, yes, those household names…. 🙄

wors

i’ve got a mountain bike, a road bike and a cx bike. HELP!!!

jedi

bmx= true legends

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

bike forum – about bikes
    chat forum – not about bikes

trout
    Free Member

I only have the one bike ride it on all surfaces
    it is very new NP Mega so I am well in this new Niche .
    Old Sucks 😉

Liked the tongue in cheek article though made me chuckle 😆

MrOvershoot

Read it last night just before dropping off to sleep.

5 years ago I would have agreed with 1/2 of what was written, I used to take the piss out of mates who were under the thumb & were prevented from coming on a ride to go shopping with the wife (still do sometimes)

Spending time with your kids is the right thing to do though.

But circumstances change, my wife has secondary progressive MS.
    Now 12 years ago when we got married she was still relatively independent and I took my mountain bike on our honeymoon to the West Highlands, friends said “how did you get away with that?” Thankfully my wife says cycling has always been a part of my life since we met 30 years ago so she wouldn’t want to change that.

But her condition has become much worse and apart from working full time I am also her primary carer so unless we arrange relief care I can’t be much more than ½ hour away. This has meant a change in my cycling life and as a consequence I use my road or CX bike a lot more as its riding straight from the door.

I know the article was probably written to provoke a reaction (it worked)

But to my mind cycling should be something you want to do not feel you should do?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

If there were no road cycling threads on here, there’d be nothing to laugh at.

druidh
    Free Member

Taking a number of well-worn trolls from the forum and putting them in print is hardly creative journalism.

I take it that next months mag will feature “I built it myself from bits of carbon and a spoon”.

wwaswas

I was with him right up until he said that you only need to own one bike.

He’s clearly deranged.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Personally thought it was a “everyone who is not like me is a nobber” article…but there you go.

When clearly, he is the nobber.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just read it; in fact it is the first time I have read any of the mag in 6 months despite being a premier member.

Pretty good troll when you don’t even have to start your own thread 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t believe you lot read so quick

vinnyeh

If it were a troll, I’d rather he do it in some other way than taking up 9 pages with a poorly written lead article in the magazine, for which he was presumably paid freelance rates.

The lead pic made a total mess of his argument as well, I thought- nice smooth metalled berms, easily ridden on a road bike. Nice pics though.

On a better note- I love Chipps outro stories these days- a cracker this month.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think that it shows the rather immature attitude that is sometimes prevalent on this forum where some feel that because something is different & have no understanding of it ergo I must attack it & all that I think it stands for.

Sad.

buffalobill
    Free Member

Can’t believe you lot read so quick

Its only 3 pages long – honestly it didn’t take that long.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

AFAIK I’m signed up to the digital subscription but when I try to view that mag I get “No server” 🙁

wwaswas

they haven’t loaded it yet Simon – they got caught out as the subs copies were posted early.

Shoudl be up later today I think.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It is there, I managed to read it digitally earlier.

bullheart
    Free Member

Taking a number of well-worn trolls from the forum and putting them in print is hardly creative journalism.

Nail.

Head.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Funny it was only a couple of days ago when I was wondering when a far right movement in cycling would form.

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

He needs some Buddishm in his life. All life is change* and the root of unhappiness comes in not accepting this change. Mates move on bike trends change just live with it.
    Bikes are bikes tbh I see us all as sharing a hobby whetheryou ride trail centres ,Cx , natural , tarmac or to the shops. We have something in common that should unite us not something that we should use to create barriers becaus y ou ride a different type of bike on different terrain.
    * show me a person who has not changed over 20 years and I will show you a person who has learnt nothing in the last 20 years.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Benji did mention in his rant that he had a road bike…maybe he wants to sell it 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

…oooohhhhhhhh……

That’s well deep. I like it!

ChrisL

Beagleboy – Member

I read it as an amusing dig at some of the fabulously narrow-minded attitudes banded about on this here website. I really liked it.

+1. It would seem all the people on here who look down their noses at “stormtroopers”, riding “skill compensators” at trail centres (what’s the pejorative term for them?) don’t like it when someone bites back. 🙂

I got about halfway through it before I had to go and mow the lawn, but I was enjoying it even if I didn’t agree with everything it said. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the rest of it too, even if I continue to find parts I disagree with – that one bike thing sounds like madness!

Hey ho. It’s got people on here talking about the magazine, which is probably considered a good thing by Chipps et al.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what’s the article called? I have the PDF on my phone but navigation isn’t brilliant…

D0NK

We have something in common that should unite us not something that we should use to create barriers becaus y ou ride a different type of bike on different terrain.

yes but you would say that you’re a bmx, roadie, singlespeeder…..find a 29er small enough to swing your leg over and you’ll have the full set 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes i admit it I like bikes
    There are loads of pics throughout the article SFB so not sure how well it will work tbh but it starts near the front on page 11 ish ??? it wont reopen for me now

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

thanks Johnnie 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

SFB:

Page 10. Right Here, Right Now.
    Stuff all this retro nonsense! Benji knows that we’ve never had it so good as right now.

I thought it was ok and made some valid points about stuck in the mud types but then was to my mind equally narrow minded about other aspects of cycling. Basically as pointed out – what I like is right so there.

I’m pretty sure though that it was deliberately written that way, mind.

crazy-legs

The article has done it’s job though hasn’t it? Got people onto a forum talking about it.
    You can have slightly controversial topics (which you may or may not agree with) but which you can discuss/critique/slag off or you can have 3 more pages of product reviews or adverts.

Tough choice…

Have to say I can see his point of view, it’s well written but I don’t agree with all of it by any means. But then it’s not been designed like that, it’s a deliberately controversial topic, similar to Dave’s Rights of Access articles.

dave1980
    Free Member

I wonder if he refuses to stand on the decked area at his mates’ barbeques – “No thanks lads, I’ll stand on the lawn over here since you should have been mountain-biking rather than improving your garden”

clubber
    Free Member

I was kind of waiting for him to say (write) that only certain riders (eg him and his ilk) were ‘real’ mtbers 🙂

Karinofnine

Pffft

Harry_the_Spider

I have two mountain bikes, a CX, a road bike, a wife, kids, a nice garden and a career.

Confused.

Think I’ll go for a ride tonight and think it through. Probably on my road bike.

clubber
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    Pffft

I hope that was the noise of a mtb puncture, not a road, CX one or maybe even some DIY task 👿

terrahawk
    Free Member

Think I’ll go for a ride tonight and think it through. Probably on my road bike.

I’ve got one of those (actually I’ve got 2, but anyway) – my house at 8:15 ish?
    I have a hill in mind that would be shit on a mountain bike.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I’m slightly surprised that no one has mentioned Chipps’ editorial: lycra! tan lines! whatever next- road training for racing? ?? 😯

brassneck

That sounds a lot like when Blur brought out “The Great Escape”, having a go at all us middle class commuting sell-out types with jobs and a “very big house in the country”.

Except it wasn’t, it was specifically about an exec at Food records.

But I agree with your sentiment though, the ‘article’ just got on my tits so I passed over it and read Ferrentino’s instead.

The diffrence between this and Dave’s article was that rights of way are a debate worth having – whether I spend more time working/gardening/playing with the children than riding bikes is no ones business but mine, and of zero interest to anyone but me. No matter how fit or unfit / skilled or unskilled I am, I still enjoy it when I get the chance.

nickf
    Free Member

Slightly strange attitude – embracing change in in the form of the bike that gets ridden or the music listened to, but unwilling to accept that lives change with the advent of children, careers, aged parents etc.

And one bike? Sure, if that’s what you want, but a hardtail for The Chilterns and a FS DH bike for the Alps…that suits me well.

Other than that though, a lot to agree with….the thought of CX bikes as a gateway drug certainly made me chuckle.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Benjis' rant in the new mag’ is closed to new replies.