Home Forums Chat Forum BBC iPlayer borked?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BBC iPlayer borked?
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

It seems very slow. Can’t get anything to play for more than a few seconds at a time, if that. All other internetty stuff is fine. Anyone else having problems? Tried restart, different browser, different computer.

Fed up with the bloody thing.

Oxboy
    Free Member

The missus tried to load it up and it didnt work at all??? She tried all sorts and still no joy . . .

snaps
    Free Member

Fine for me, just watched Rab C Nesbit & mock the week – no problem.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Gave up with it. Watched Wall-E instead. What a brilliant film. I’m going to go to bed happy!

grahamb
    Free Member

Use get_iplayer to download the content & then watch locally ?. Works for me.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Think it was just a temporary blip. Might try it later.

Heroes of Telemark is not available for download. Boo! :cry:

Conor
    Free Member

Happens to me now and again. Usually on Sunday or Monday evenings. I’m convinced it’s AOL chocking it…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Conor, that’s interesting. Because it’s precisely those times, when it seems bad. Maybe that’s when the BBC do updates, or something, or it could be to do with work being done on the ADSL lines. My connection did seem slow last night, which was odd, but it’s happened before.

iPlayer doesn’t seem to work unless the current connection speed is above 1 meg, or so. My current ‘up to 8 meg’ service rarely hits 4, tbh. But it’s usually above 2, so I was a bit perplexed, last night.

grahamb
    Free Member

RudeBoy, Heroes of Telemark is available for download now.

Download availability doesn’t always work for some reason. Some streams are not available despite the “–info” option of get_iplayer stating that they are. Hmm.

I also notice intermittent playback when i watch iplayer content directly. It’s partly why i’m using get_iplayer. I know it’s not caused by my isp throttling traffic nor my connection. I can only assume it’s down to the beeb not having enough infrastructure to cope with iplayer demand. I use linux & don’t have an iplayer client that’ll do peer-to-peer. That would in theory help reduce load at the beeb, but I’m not sure whether the more anal isp’s (i’d include AOL as one) block this as they do with other p2p traffic (bittorrent etc).

Surfr
    Free Member

is iPlayer p2p then? I always thought it was multicast, hence the need to get the ISPs to enable it in the first place?

grahamb
    Free Member

Yes, you’re right. My mistake. The viewer is multicast. It’s the iplayer download manager that’s p2p.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

HOT not available for download here. Might try it again tonight. Great film. I had a Norwegian gf whose grandfather was in the Norwegian resistance. Such brave people, who sacrificed loads, to sabotage Nazi activities in Norway. We have a lot to thank those people for.

MinishMan
    Free Member

iPlayer crashes on me whatever browser (FF, IE and Opera) as soon as I click play :-(

I think it’s just one of those random things only a Windows reinstall will fix.

I’d do the local content thing, but the iplayer program uses kontiki p2p software which screws up a number of games I play.

Conor
    Free Member

Yeah, I can’t even download tonight!! Useless AOL! I used to use Vuze but they throttled that as well… they seem to block all P2P traffic… legal or other wise! But it works some times. Over the crimbo hols I was downloading at 180kbps (max I can get on my line). Now it’s more like 8kbps!

scaredypants

not certain that it works, but if iplayer won’t work for you
    try this ??[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BBC iPlayer borked?’ is closed to new replies.