Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 429 total)
  • BBC bias – Scottish independence content
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Apparently the BBC emailed the researchers disputing their findings and demanding to see the raw data – and copied the email to the university chancellor.

Pretty dodgy…

How is asking to see the raw data dodgy? Surely open access to data is once of the fundamentals of good science?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clubber, c’est ici mon vieux! On va gagner! On va gagner!

Tous ensemble vers le futur!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quoi le F?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

le clubber avec + 7,206,421,754

Vive la revolution (ya bawbags)!!

clubber
    Free Member

Zut alors!

clubber
    Free Member

Of course, us Froggies have always had a soft spot for Les Ecossais. Enemy of my enemy and all that 😉

robbespierre
    Free Member

If they are supposed to give equal weight to any view then you run into the problem of giving equal airtime to creationists as you do scientists, or holocaust deniers and credible historians.

+1

This is correct.

The majority of Scots don’t support independence and the weight of arguments favours remaining in the UK. In my opinion the BBC gives far too much favourable coverage to the yes campaign.

ads678

Oh god, have they not had the bloody vote yet…………… 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, we did and it was resoundingly in favour of a French forum. Now give us what we voted for!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The majority of Scots don’t support independence and the weight of arguments favours remaining in the UK. In my opinion the BBC gives far too much favourable coverage to the yes campaign.

Bit of a circular argument though. If the BBC coverage always favours one side over the other how the other side hope to catch up to sway public opinion to get the extra coverage?

the weight of arguments favours remaining in the UK

That’s very debatable given how little actual facts are on the table.

MoreCashThanDash

As the polls seem to indicate that the independance campaign will lose, seems to me that they are lining up their excuses.

If they do reject independance, I hope it is by a convincing majority or this navel gazing belly aching will come back to haunt us every couple of years until Salmond gets his way, regardless of the democratic views of his people

robbespierre
    Free Member

Yes, we did and it was resoundingly in favour of a French forum. Now give us what we voted for!

Pardon!

C’est exact.

La majorité des Ecossais ne soutiennent pas l’indépendance et le poids des arguments faveurs restants au Royaume-Uni. À mon avis, la BBC donne beaucoup trop de couverture favorable de la campagne du oui.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Robespierre is dans le house!

robbespierre
    Free Member

😀

I really must borrow the wife’s hair straighteners! 😉

piemonster

BBC bias – Scottish independence content

Could just as easily be

Newsnetscotland bias – Scottish independence content

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Newsnetscotland bias – Scottish independence content

Aye, pretty sure they’re a pro yes blog/news site. But the paper itself is from an academic. He’d have to be very brave or silly to release something that was fiddled to show bias.

grum
    Free Member

Grum – ad hoc vox-popping and polling in the street on something so sensitive would be editorial suicide however you conducted it. It’s a complete no-win situation.

OK maybe a bad example.

What if you decided to do a feature on how business leaders feel about independence – you contact a few of the largest scottish companies to see if anyone will come on to do an interview – the only people who are willing to come on are strongly anti-independence. Is it then biased to only reflect those views in the interviews?

clubber
    Free Member

Hardly. Just look at the statements – they’re hardly exact in terms of what is considered positive or negative.

igm

The basic problem is the lack of an English parliament without which they keep trying to lay claim to the British parliament at Westminster.
    Without addressing this issue there will be no settlement within the UK, whether the Scots choose independence or not.
    Once the English, who unwittingly lost their independence on 1707 at the same time the Scots knowingly have it up, have an assembly or parliament like the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish, the he West Lothian question and 90% of the other frictional issues would melt away.

An English assembly might be based somewhere in the centre of England,say Manchester or York, and would help move political and economic power away from the south coast – highly desirable in this day and age.

We could also cement what has been a mutually beneficial union (in economic terms at least) for over 300 years, by building HS2 in the right place, linking Manchester, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow in a big circle, complementing the existing express lines into London on the west and east coasts.

Anything else I need to cover?

Oh yes, 29ers and 26ers are both good but I just don’t get 650b.

birney29
    Free Member

” winston_dog – Member

I’m sorry but a University that describes Paisley as:

Paisley – Urban, Contemporary, Dynamic

cannot be taken seriously! “

I’m sorry – any moron that thinks an evidence based report is somehow overridden by their personal opinion of something written on the web cannot be taken seriously.

ninfan
    Free Member

I think thats fair if it was done without ‘adding another layer’

Eg. Scottish parliamentary seats should have one MP who sits in the Scottish parliament for devolved issues, but also represents and votes as part of the westminster parliament on reserved and national issues – rather than the current system.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

BBC bias – Scottish independence content

A year-long academic study carried out by researchers at a Scottish university has revealed that both the BBC and STV have been favouring the No campaign in their TV news coverage of the independence referendum.

BBC in headline even though body text refers to BBC and another media outlet – no anti BBC bias there then is there.

Paisley – Urban, Contemporary, Dynamic

Home of some top notch comedians, especially the one that thought that up.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’m sorry – any moron that thinks an evidence based report is somehow overridden by their personal opinion of something written on the web cannot be taken seriously.

Have you ever been to Paisley?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You mean like the “evidence based” report of those weapons of mass distraction that saddam husein had?

bencooper
    Free Member

BBC in headline even though body text refers to BBC and another media outlet – no anti BBC bias there then is there.

Fair point. But people (perhaps wrongly) expect more from the BBC.

footflaps

I find Alex Salmon heavily biased in favour of the Yes campaign. Surely he should campaign for both sides equally……

igm

This looks fairly pro-independence.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24866266

reluctantlondoner

The netnewsscotland website is run by the despicable cybernats. It shouldn’t be give any rational consideration as anything other than low rent propaganda.

I expected more of the OP.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

This looks fairly pro-independence.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24866266

if that’s the conclusion you draw, great, but that article is just stating facts. Pretty objective I thought. The piece from UWS looks at hundreds of articles, one doesn’t prove or disprove anything.

The netnewsscotland website is run by the despicable cybernats. It shouldn’t be give any rational consideration as anything other than low rent propaganda.

Anyone who refers to either the Yes or No campaigns by such childish nicknames such as cybernats doesn’t deserve a lot of time. I expected more from STW posters.

thehustler
    Free Member

Hmm Scottish independance

Will it change my life? No
    Will I still have Scottish friends and relatives? Yes

OK can we move on now?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Est-ce que j’ai raté le bus pour le forum Francais?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oui, le bus est déjà parti. vous avez eu à payer pour cela aussi !!! 😉

(Odd how autospell changes oui into ouija – spooky)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

OK can we move on now?

Are you trying to stifle the debate? yes? Good man, let’s everyone just shut up and we’ll see what happens come the vote.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

With the polls as they are these stories will continue to proliferate.

Forget the Wallace stuff! The price of independence? 52% of scots would vote yes if they were £500 better of.

But only 9% reckon that they will be. Time for more smoke and mirrors. Cue the university of (where was it?)…

epicyclo

igm – Member
    The basic problem is the lack of an English parliament without which they keep trying to lay claim to the British parliament at Westminster.
    Without addressing this issue there will be no settlement within the UK, whether the Scots choose independence or not…

That is really the basic issue which should have been addressed 150 years ago.

The Irish might still be with us if the UK had acted like a federation of states.

It’s too late now though, and the Scots will be waving goodbye come September.

As for the polls, for years these repeatedly have told us the SNP is going down the gurgler, yet somehow it keeps increasing its vote, so the only poll that matters is the real one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Le bus est arrived dans le stop. Alons-y, my amis!

igm

Epicyclo – absolutely. I was thinking of the top room in the Dublin municipal museum (don’t know the correct name) when I wrote it.
    For those who don’t know it tells the story of the fifty years or so leading up to Easter 1916 and is very sobering when you look at Scotland today.

For the record, Yorkshire based Scot, no vote, against independence.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s a tartan Question Time on BBC 1 tonight. Time for some independence BS bingo!!!! (Not just from the yes camp!!)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 429 total)

The topic ‘BBC bias – Scottish independence content’ is closed to new replies.