Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 429 total)
  • BBC bias – Scottish independence content
  • gordimhor

Pour tous mes amis de langue française bonne chance avec votre nouveau forum. Bien qu’il y ait une alternative …. si vous pensez qu’un fil est ennuyeux de ne pas ouvrir 😉

gordimhor

Braveheart sur film 4 maintenant..Channel 4 est biaisé

bencooper
    Free Member

The netnewsscotland website is run by the despicable cybernats

Aha, I detect a Daily Mail reader 😉

The bully pulpit

athgray
    Free Member

bencooper. Look at reluctantlondoners post again, then look at your link again. Need I say more???

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, was he being ironic?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Aha, I detect a Daily Mail reader

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-bully-pulpit/

Shock horror! The Daily Mail publishes some crap journalism!

SO if we think the Yes argument is flawed we must be Daily Mail readers?

bencooper
    Free Member

No, it was the keyword “cybernats” that amused me.

piemonster

How about “project fear”?

Plenty of nobbery on both sides of this campaign. Sadly.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The netnewsscotland has plenty of the romantic pish that the “Nats” claim isn’t used in their argument.

Robert Burns on Independance

FFS! 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It must be hard to report “pish” with a straight face and not seem biased?

gordimhor

Well let’s see there’s the fee for Scottish drivers taking the car over the border, the rise in prices at the supermarket after independence , mobile phone roaming charges, membership of the EU where the British government has chosen to withhold information from its own subjects , there will be no postal service in Scotland too the list goes on …..it’s tough having to report this pish without laughing .
    As far as I can see BBC Scotland is not biased there’s no BBC instructions to reporters to take a particular position but it is a British organisation , BBC Scotland is a subsidiary and policy is to provide programmes for BBC Britain one of the consequences is a slashed news budget at Pacific Quay overstretched staff and ergo less critical journalism.

winston_dog
    Free Member

the fee for Scottish drivers taking the car over the border

Why would there be?

If they are in the EU wouldn’t this be illegal?

gordimhor

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/border-charge-claims-for-scottish-drivers-branded-a-scare-story-1.10858
    It was just an example of the scare storIes from the UK govt in this case

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fetchez la vache.

bencooper
    Free Member

I liked the one about how independence would make every Scot £1 per year worse off 😉

scotroutes

Even the BBC Trust agree..
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/reporting-scotland-censured.23187864

THE BBC’s Reporting Scotland programme has been censured over an interview with Ireland’s European Affairs Minister about Scots’ membership of the EU.

The BBC Trust upheld a complaint from the SNP about the presentation of the interview for the evening news, although complaints about edits for other programmes were rejected.

The Reporting Scotland package a year ago linked a quote from Lucinda Creighton to an interview with then-Scots Secretary Michael Moore where he said: “Scotland would be outside the EU having to negotiate its way back in.”

The SNP’s scenario of negotiating membership during the two years between a Yes vote and Scotland becoming independent was never put to Ms Creighton, so the link to the quote by Mr Moore, saying “and that’s a view shared by the UK Government” was deemed to be a breach of accuracy rules.

winston_dog
    Free Member

@scotroutes – That was one interview, it also shows that the SNP were unhappy, complained and the BBC investigated and acted.

Hardly the actions of a bias media organisation is it?

athgray
    Free Member

The one about increased costs at supermarkets came not from the better together camp but from Asda executives. What do they know about price setting in the retail sector? I don’t know if prices would increase or not, however it prompted Stan Blackley, prominent member of yes Scotlands campaign then let his personal feelings be known.

“Wouldn’t it be great if Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Morrisons left Scotland following a yes vote”

The yes camp like to shout about the businesses for independence. If I was a business leader that supported the UK with an imminent yes vote, I would be very wary about voicing my opinion.

scotroutes

Check on “the one about increased costs in supermarkets” and check again to see what was actually said. It’s actually a really good example of biased media reporting.

Edit: Ceud!

epicyclo

piemonster – Member
    How about “project fear”?…

Yeah, that one is a real low.

Especially considering that “Project Fear” is the internal name the Better Together mob coined for their campaign.

piemonster

See there’s a new poll out today, and a more hopeful one at that.

I look forward to reading squabbling / gloating / insults on news provider messenger boards soon.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Stan Blackley, Yes Scotland’s deputy director of communities, took to the social networking site Twitter to attack all four of the largest supermarket chains following the warnings by Asda and Morrisons.
    “Wouldn’t it be great if Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons (and) Asda just left Scotland after Yes vote,” he tweeted, adding that this was his personal view.

Stan Blackley Twitter Feed

In interviews with the Financial Times, the pair said they would be unwilling to absorb the extra costs of doing business in a separate Scotland or to pass on any additional costs to customers elsewhere in the UK.
    The argued they already have lower margins north of the Border due to higher distribution costs and a Scottish Government tax on large shops that sell both tobacco and alcohol.

Your point is?

scotroutes

My point is that nowhere does it say that prices would increase.

piemonster

Yeah, that one is a real low.

Especially considering that “Project Fear” is the internal name the Better Together mob coined for their campaign.

Schadenfreude?

winston_dog
    Free Member

My point is that nowhere does it say that prices would increase.

Yes it does.

In interviews with the Financial Times, the pair said they would be unwilling to absorb the extra costs of doing business in a separate Scotland or to pass on any additional costs to customers elsewhere in the UK.

What else could “unwilling to absorb the extra costs” possibly mean? Even without any taxation issues, the logistic costs in Scotland are greater.

gordimhor

Asda say they have no plans to increase prices, Morrisons say no plans to increase prices, Tesco say they didn’t speak to the ft . Not much sign of a price rise there. Morrisons did say they might have to review their strategy in line with any new Scottish government policies after a yes vote. This could be up or down.

epicyclo

There’s only one relevant issue.

Is it better to have your own government in your own country, or to be governed as an irrelevant colony from another?

athgray
    Free Member

Depends on what you consider your own country. Also, so much more to a country than it’s government. Why should I feel funds should be used to help the poorest in Inverness over say Newcastle? I have relations in Newcastle and don’t know anyone in Inverness.

Westminster doesn’t always get it right. I don’t think wealth is well split. There is plenty that needs improving, however I feel my vote counts there, and would rather work to fix the system and see the positives that Scotland can bring to everyone in these islands, rather than see it’s resources carved up amongst those north of Berwick.

Perhaps your question could be put to the people of Orkney and Shetland also.

piemonster

Strictly speaking I don’t care where I’m governed from. Could be governed from Stockholm for all I care.

It’s the end result of that governance that concerns me.

epicyclo

athgray – Member
    …Westminster doesn’t always get it right…

Perhaps your question could be put to the people of Orkney and Shetland also.

Quite a few points there.

Westminster can’t be expected to get it right all the time. It obviously has to concentrate on where the larger populations are, which inevitably means the regions and the likes of Scotland are afterthoughts.

Hence the desire for self-determination.

The referendum is about dissolving the Union of 2 kingdoms, not about the secession of regions. Scotland is not a region of England, it is a partner in the Union. There can be only 2 parties to the dissolution, and as Orkney & Shetland are part of the Kingdom of Scotland they cannot be party to this.

In any case there already are talks going on about greater local powers for them and the Hebrides after independence.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

rather work to fix the system and see the positives that Scotland can bring to everyone in these islands, rather than see it’s resources carved up amongst those north of Berwick.

in other words, you’d like see Scotland contribute to the wealth of the UK rather than to the wealth of Scotland?

athgray
    Free Member

Yes, but that is just me being selfless, however I regret the Tories are not best placed to redistribute it.

I think someone stated here that the poorest 20% of the UK has only 1% of the wealth, and since Scotland is resource rich we should bugger off with it. Does not seem like an inclusive idea to me.

May come as a surprise that many of the UK’s poorest live in cities like Leeds, Liverpool and even London. Surprised dear leader never noticed this when he worked there. Perhaps he doesn’t care. He knows who his people are. I know which side I would rather be on.

gordimhor

So who’s side are you on athgray? We’re often told that wealth flows out from London, or that wealth trickles down from the rich but in the past 30 years inequality has gotten worse. Why not re-adjust the balance by governing ourselves and maybe the trickle of wealth from an independent Scotland might reach northern England a bit quicker than the flow from London has.I am sure London will be ok after all Scotland is a drain on the south east or so they say.

gordimhor

sorry dp

ninfan
    Free Member

and as Orkney & Shetland are part of the Kingdom of Scotland they cannot be party to this.

Ahem, point of order, no they’re not – They were independent crown dependencies at the time of the 1707 act of Union, as per the 1669 Act of Annexation… Let alone the fact that they were originally pawned to Scotland, which makes them a colonial possession, the maintenance of which would be against UN charters on decolonisation, and they would therefore be lawfully entitled to a right of self determination.

Jersey and Guernsey seem to be doing alright on their own, don’t they?

epicyclo

ninfan – Member
    Ahem, point of order, no they’re not – They were independent crown dependencies at the time of the 1707 act of Union, as per the 1669 Act of Annexation…

I stand corrected. My understanding is they became part of the Scottish kingdom as part of the marriage settlement between James II and Margaret of Norway in the 15th century, ie before Union.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Asda say they have no plans to increase prices, Morrisons say no plans to increase prices,

Delusional. The operating costs for an Independent Scotland will be higher. This is down to the geography and the population distribution. Operating a supermarket on Orkney or on Lewis will cost more than in Leeds.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Back to the OP for a moment – how many news outlets covered the latest poll swing to yes?

ninfan
    Free Member

THM – some good analysis about that poll result here and perhaps why media are cautious about reporting it:

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/01/icm-poll-shows-biggest-swing-yet/

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 429 total)

The topic ‘BBC bias – Scottish independence content’ is closed to new replies.