Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 429 total)
  • BBC bias – Scottish independence content
  • richmtb

The bedroom tax is a disgrace. At best its badly thought out, I mean who would deliberately implement a policy that saves no money while forcing people out of their homes.

And who in Scotland voted for it?

Absolutely Nae ****

That’s who.

That is why the bedroom tax is important. Beyond the basic unfairness of it , its a prime example of the democratic deficit we face.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Absolutely Nae ****

How do you know that? Scotland were part of the population that elected this government, like it or not.

Personally I thought it was an ill thought out idea but it seemed to have a lot of popular support.

When I lived in the Central Belt, there seemed to be a lot of resentment towards the “neds” who lived off benefits.

I will say this again, and no doubt be flamed for it and accused of trolling, IME Scotland is not a very tolerant Country. A lot of bigotry and casual racism. On STW all the Scots are painting a very different picture.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Poor old wee eck, it’s the accountants turn to show their “bias” today…..

Workers would face “major uncertainty” over the future of their pensions in an independent Scotland, according to an expert report warning the SNP has failed to answer a series of key questions. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS) said Alex Salmond’s White Paper had failed to address fundamental issues about state, public sector and personal pension plans.

Honestly, we expect too much. To make up stuff on pensions as well as the economy, taxation, spending, education etc is too much for one party surely?

richmtb

IME Scotland is not a very tolerant Country. A lot of bigotry and casual racism. On STW all the Scots are painting a very different picture.

Well thankfully anecdote does not equal evidence.

Scotland and England’s differing views on EU membership are probably more illustrative than a single opinion.

Of course an individuals experience may vary, Nigel Farage I’m sure thinks the Scots are an intolerant bunch, but really that says more about him.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Well thankfully anecdote does not equal evidence.

I can post numerous links to news reports of sectarian viloence and religious bigotry and extremism.

Sending bullets to a football manager?

Protesting about providing a ferry service on a Sunday?

Not allowing swimming pools to open on a Sunday?

Yes it’s a minority. However, it’s very much part of Scottish culture.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Yes it’s a minority. However, it’s very much part of Scottish culture.

How can you say that with a straight face? There a loads of idiots who protest with the BNP and EDL in England but I’d never say “I know it’s a minority, however, it’s very much part of English culture.”

Yes, it’s a minority. As pointed out earlier in the thread the number of sectarian crimes is actually very low. Stories like that appear in the press a lot because the sell news papers. And Neil Lennon’s rhetoric and behaviour at the time was bound to get him to some bother (not saying it was acceptable) what ever his religion and background.

richmtb

I can post numerous links to news reports of sectarian viloence and religious bigotry and extremism.

And the best selling newspaper in England is the Daily Mail

I could play this game all day

winston_dog
    Free Member

And Neil Lennon’s rhetoric and behaviour at the time was bound to get him to some bother

Another part of the problem. Celtic idiots are as bad as Rangers idiots.

The BNP and EDL are not considered “acceptable” by the vast majority. The Free Church of Scotland is part of the “establishment”.

A policeman wouldn’t get into bother if he was a member of the Free Church but he would if he was in the BNP.

winston_dog
    Free Member

And the best selling newspaper in England is the Daily Mail

Yes England has plenty of arseholes.

The point I was making, yet again, was the “left leaning” open minded Scots who post on here are not at all typical. You all keep painting an image of this Workers Utopia you will create once independent. You are deluded. The problems you are denying exist will only be magnified once you can’t blame the English for some of the problems.

richmtb

The BNP and EDL are not considered “acceptable” by the vast majority.

How many BNP councillors have there been in England?

How many have there been in Scotland?

Lets not even start on the recent rise of UKIP.

Do you have any actual evidence beyond anecdotes and isolated incidents involving clowns in the “Old Firm” to support the assertion that Scotland is “not a very tolerant country”

winston_dog
    Free Member

isolated incidents

They are not isolated. The Orange marches cause major problems every year, to a calendar.

Scotland has a tiny ethnic minority.
    Why is that if your so open?
    Also, you will only really find problems with the BNP and the like when this populations grows.

From the scotland.gov.uk website.

African 0.6 14 30,000
    Asian/Asian Scottish/Asian British 2.7 67 141,000
    Caribbean or Black 0.1 3 7,000
    Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups 0.4 9 20,000
    Other ethnic group 0.3 7 14,000
    White 96.0 n/a 5,084,000
    All Minority Ethnic Population 4.0 100 211,000
    All Population 100 n/a 5,295,000

gordimhor

I really can’t believe you are seriously equating the BNP and the EDL with the Free Church of Scotland.
    Just in case other people don’t know the Free Church is entirely separate from the Church of Scotland.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Scotland has a tiny ethnic minority.
    Why is that if your so open?

Who knows? Maybe most of the UK’s immigrants are heading to London or Birmingham for instance? You have evidence to say people aren’t moving to Scotland due to us being bigoted.

bencooper
    Free Member

The Orange marches cause major problems every year, to a calendar.

Major problems? Sometimes get stuck behind a march, but that’s pretty rare and the marches are a lot smaller than they were when I was a kid*. Used to be all down Maryhill Road – now it’s one band of spotty youths, half a dozen fat blokes with orange sashes and beetroot faces, and a dozen track-suited followers.

It’s more sad than anything.

*They used to come up our road. Fishing line tied across the road at ankle height was very amusing…

piemonster

You have evidence to say people aren’t moving to Scotland due to us being bigoted.

*Waves as someone who moved to Scotland.

Just for the record, I met my first bigot the other day(since moving in 2010). Far behind my bigot per year tally experienced living in England.

There seemed to be quite a few angry Scots that day, and they wasn’t annoyed at the English fella.

I’ve said it before, but will say it again. The Scots have proven themselves to be a sorted, friendly and welcoming folk.

richmtb

I’ve said it before, but will say it again. The Scots have proven themselves to be a sorted, friendly and welcoming folk.

Course we are, after all, we are all Jock Tamson’s Bairns

gordimhor

“Course we are, after all, we are all Jock Tamson’s Bairns”

If he keeps going at this rate we’ll soon a be leigh Griffiths bairns.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

BP Continue Investment in Scotland!

Oh wait, that’s not what the headline really says, but you spin it either way I guess. Union supporter wants UK to stay together and the (lack of a proper) currency debate is causing some uncertainty, but they’re continuing to invest. Anything we didn’t know already?

retro83
    Free Member

richmtb – Member

The bedroom tax is a disgrace. At best its badly thought out, I mean who would deliberately implement a policy that saves no money while forcing people out of their homes.

Absolutely Nae ****

That’s who.

That is why the bedroom tax is important. Beyond the basic unfairness of it , its a prime example of the democratic deficit we face.

Aside from the 412,855 people who voted Conservative, and the 465,471 who voted Lib Dem, you mean?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

and the 465,471 who voted Lib Dem

I don’t think anyone voted for them based on what they might of done if they got in a Tory led coalition….

the 412,855 people who voted Conservative

16% of the electorate in Scotland. Hardly a ringing endorsement. How many of those were people affected by the bedroom tax, I don’t know, but I reckon there would be some.

richmtb

Aside from the 412,855 people who voted Conservative, and the 465,471 who voted Lib Dem, you mean?

Well done your Google foo is strong.

I think suggesting that Lib Dem voters in Scotland support the bedroom tax is tenuous at best. I think I can say with some certainty that it wasn’t part of the Lib Dem manifesto.

What percentage of the electorate voted Conservative?

Even then its a rather moot point as only an absolute fool would support a taxation policy that actual costs taxpayers money and I don’t think even Scottish Conservative voters fall into that category.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Even then its a rather moot point as only an absolute fool would support a taxation policy…

Only a fool would believe a cut in benefits cut was a tax. 😆

richmtb

Only a fool would believe a cut in benefits cut was a tax.

Yes done like a kipper, the point still stands though. A change in policy designed to reduce spending that actually increases it is none too clever, a bit like me apparently!

dragon
    Free Member

BPs investment was signed off ages ago, and the projects are mid-stage so would carry on whatever the decision. However, rumour around the North Sea is that the majors are reducing spend as it’s not so attractive anymore, and that they are looking to sell or get shot of assets. So whether it’s future UK or future Scotland looking at the tax receipts, there is chance they won’t be as good as predicted.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

However, rumour around the North Sea is that the majors are reducing spend as it’s not so attractive anymore, and that they are looking to sell or get shot of assets. So whether it’s future UK or future Scotland looking at the tax receipts, there is chance they won’t be as good as predicted.

This is true, on going costs are getting higher as the age of most of the infrastructure is getting on a bit. I think most of the estimates on Oil and Gas fronts factor in this in, no? Either way, it’s a nice bonus to have, the economy etc wouldn’t dependant on it.

gordimhor

Doesnt really matter whether the spare room subsidy is a tax or a benefit cut. It is an obviously unfair policy which is causing great distress to many. The party that imposed this policy got 16% of the scottish vote in 2010. This is in todays independent
    null

gordimhor

sorry broken link the article is actually from aug last year
    This is from the independent though
    bye bye bedroom tax

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s also worth pointing out that, even when the Scottish government found the money to pay the bedroom tax for everyone affected in Scotland, the Westminster government has been deliberately obstructionist when it comes to getting the money to the people who need it.

The BP thing – so BP is going to pull out of Scotland and go drill for oil in England instead? It’s pointless pontificating – of course businesses want stability, and a right-wing government is of course more popular with them.

gordimhor

To go back to the BBC bias issue.I heard a bulletin on 6music where they said that the head of BP had spoken out against independence, no mention was made of his making it clear that this was his personal opinion and not BP policy,nor did 6music play the dialogue.

richmtb

“BP confirms investment in North Sea” doesn’t have the same ring to it I suppose.

Meanwhile in “not very tolerant” Scotland the Same Sex Marriage bill passed 105 to 18. For those keeping score it passed 366 to 161 in Westminster

dragon
    Free Member

To be fair BBC covered BPs investment went it was announced a few years ago, there has been nothing new announced for a while and unlikely to be for the foreseeable future. The reality is the North Sea isn’t looking very attractive for majors right now which is why Bob Dudleys comments do matter to an extent.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yesscotland, at it again:

“With independence, the continued use of sterling has the overwhelming support of the people of Scotland and the public in the rest of the UK,” a spokesman said.

Oh really? Hmmm…..

Now that’s a trick they haven’t pulled before. And the BBC bias – again unchallenged!! 😉

gordimhor

Where does your quote come from THM ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member
    Well let’s see there’s….the rise in prices at the supermarket after independence …the list goes on …..it’s tough having to report this pish without laughing .

Gordi, and now the bloody FT are at this pish as well. Where do you reckon they source this rubbish from?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b8f05d3c-8cfa-11e3-ad57-00144feab7de.html#axzz2sHJsLuAB

Still the business schools could have some news case studies in parallel imports coming up. Compare tesco in Ireland with sainburys in Scotland….

gordimhor

I can understand the point about unit costs perfectly well, however the cost of distribution around the central belt from distribution centres that are already in the central belt shouldnt rise. As for me and those like me the nearest supermarket is just over 20 miles away, as far as local shopping is concerned there is only a Co-op which doesnt operate a national pricing policy anyway.
    Robert Peston wrote this
    Food prices in Scotland

Where did you find the statement from the yes spokesman?

retro83
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member

I don’t think anyone voted for them based on what they might of done if they got in a Tory led coalition….

16% of the electorate in Scotland. Hardly a ringing endorsement. How many of those were people affected by the bedroom tax, I don’t know, but I reckon there would be some.
    Posted 5 hours ago # Report-Post

richmtb – Member

Well done your Google foo is strong.

I think suggesting that Lib Dem voters in Scotland support the bedroom tax is tenuous at best. I think I can say with some certainty that it wasn’t part of the Lib Dem manifesto.

What percentage of the electorate voted Conservative?

Even then its a rather moot point as only an absolute fool would support a taxation policy that actual costs taxpayers money and I don’t think even Scottish Conservative voters fall into that category.
    Posted 5 hours ago # Report-Post

Well 36% of Scottish voters voted for the parties we have in government, and they together enacted this policy.

The Scottish Lib Dems voted against Labour’s motion on scrapping the ‘tax’. Over a quarter of Scottish labour MPs didn’t even bother to turn up for the vote on it either. If all the Labour MPs had, they probably would have won the vote, as they lost the vote by 26 and 43 failed to show!

gordimhor

So the Conservatives brought in the bedroom tax as it was in their manifesto, the Liberals brought it in even though it was not in their manifesto. Labour mps couldn’t be bothered to oppose it.All the above parties are in the no camp. Vote Yes to get rid of the bedroom tax.

Northwind

retro83 – Member

Well 36% of Scottish voters voted for the parties we have in government, and they together enacted this policy.

Absolutely nobody voted for the Lib Dems we have in government- people voted for the different Lib Dems that existed before the election

retro83
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Absolutely nobody voted for the Lib Dems we have in government- people voted for the different Lib Dems that existed before the election

Well you could say that about any party that makes an unpopular decision when in government. I’m sure that not many Labour voters wanted to go to war in a faraway land based on dubious evidence. They still voted them in though. Same with the Lib Dems, they made an unpopular decision with getting into bed with the Conservatives, then continuing to cuddle up to them for the rest of their term in office.

gordimhor – Member

So the Conservatives brought in the bedroom tax as it was in their manifesto, the Liberals brought it in even though it was not in their manifesto. Labour mps couldn’t be bothered to oppose it.All the above parties are in the no camp. Vote Yes to get rid of the bedroom tax.

Are you implying that Scottish politicians will become trustworthy if they report only to Hollyrood and not Westminster?

Also Labour and the Lib Dems have both said they will scrap the ‘tax’ if elected.

In any case, the ‘bedroom tax’ seems like a rather minor point to argue on. I’d be more concerned with Scotland’s financial services industry. Hint: where does 90% of that business come from? How many does it employ in Scotland (over 100,000) and how much does it contribute to GDP (over 10%).

Northwind

retro83 – Member

Well you could say that about any party that makes an unpopular decision when in government.

It’s not quite the same when that one unpopular decision is “become tories”

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 429 total)

The topic ‘BBC bias – Scottish independence content’ is closed to new replies.