Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Ban Eating on Public Transport
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Our local schools don’t allow the kids out at lunchtime

The Domino’s delivery guy is at the gate of my kids school every day with a car full of pizzas that kids have ordered online.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lunch in shifts at school ?

If my wife wasn’t a teacher and I didn’t know that some kids get an inordinate amount of money for lunches I’d call crap on that perchy but I’d believe it.

When I were a lad 20 years ago now mind……I got 2 quid and I bought a pie and a Chelsea bun at the bakers.

tomhoward

5. People who think it’s your problem if they are sat in your reserved seat

FYI, you having a seat reservation is a suggestion, rather than a guarantee of a seat. Read the T&Cs.

Oh, and a lot of you need to chill the **** out. How is it possible that you get so wound up about what or when other people are eating?

crazy-legs

So when my sister is travelling on the train from York to London with her 6 & 4yr old daughters to visit our Mum, the kids aren’t allowed to eat?

Yeah that’s never going to happen. They live on fruit snacks, carrot sticks, grapes, apple pieces, olives….

They’d have a complete meltdown if they were denied food on a 2hr train journey!

perchypanther
    Free Member

If my wife wasn’t a teacher and I didn’t know that some kids get an inordinate amount of money for lunches I’d call crap on that perchy but I’d believe it.

3 large pizzas for £17.97 delivered on the Dominos website today.

6 kids throw in £3 each…..

binners

Do Deliveroo and Just Eat deliver to moving trains and buses?

Asking for a friend

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Very easily. Our local schools don’t allow the kids out at lunchtime which allows me to decide if I’m going to treat myself to a takeaway.

I applaud your local authority.

FWIW it’s not just the kebab shops, the petrol station next to the school has a display of energy drinks the size of Kuwait. It must be a joy teaching kids in the afternoon after they’ve necked half a litre of that shite.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Our local schools don’t allow the kids out at lunchtime

What?

Even the 18 year old ones?

Drac

The Domino’s delivery guy is at the gate of my kids school every day with a car full of pizzas that kids have ordered online.

That’s disgusting they shouldn’t allow that at the school, they should only allow it from independent pizza shops.

darthpunk
    Free Member

Lets tackle obesity…….with yet another dumb idea

How about force supermarkets to raise the price of crap food and lower the price of healthy food? 4 quid for a can of pringles should do the trick.

Bunnyhop

Yes Drac – I’m not stupid. Yes not all snacks eaten in between meals are unhealthy and yes eating is a need. You’re being facetious.

I do realise that not all snacking is bad, not all people who sit on public transport are going to get cancer from food, not all families have snacks that are unhealthy.

But something needs to be done.

Most children I see coming in and out of school seem to be snacking. They probably haven’t been given a proper breakfast. They may not even be getting a proper evening meal.

Drac

Of course something has to be done there’s a good list amongst the silly suggestion of banning eating on local transport. Comparing it with smoking and odd tangent that some kids don’t sit at a table for a meal was well strange.

Kids are pretty much constantly hungry no matter if they’ve had breakfast, lunch or due an evening meal they’ll eat.

I’ve 2 teenage kids and they’re bottomless pits just ask for food even after a good meal. Just because you see kids eating crisps and sweets does not mean they’re not eating well elsewhere.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Bring back proper PT in schools starjump and burpee the fat kids till they puke.

Do it every day

Bunnyhop

Children who sit down with their families (all my family members do it, as do most of my friends), tend not to eat snacks in between meals or the type of snacks that cause obesity.

I’m only using smoking, because everyone thought it wouldn’t work as a prevention. If you look around now, hardly anyone smokes in public.

Drac

Yeah you keep believing that bunnyhop and that no one smokes in public, except beer gardens, bus stops, outside shops, offices and in the street.

Even the 18 year old ones?

6th form is the only exception.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Children who sit down with their families (all my family members do it, as do most of my friends), tend not to eat snacks in between meals or the type of snacks that cause obesity.

We sit down together as a family  for every meal. At least twice a day, three times at the weekends

My kids would eat crisps and sweeties inbetween times until they burst and I’m forced into patrolling the corridors most nights like one of Trumps Border guards to try and intercept ninja raids on the kitchen.

I also periodically turn over their bedrooms in search of contraband, just like in the Shawshank Redemption. I’ve never come away from a raid empty handed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

lol! 🙂

crazy-legs

Bring back proper PT in schools starjump and burpee the fat kids till they puke.

Certainly in the cadets, even 25 years ago they were beginning to say that press-ups shouldn’t be used as punishments because of the risk of injury or causing illness.

Assault courses were starting to get dumbed down too, they’d often take out the water splash or the high wall.

The overwhelming sense of “everyone should be able to take part” meant that things that pushed kids over the limit kept being cut back. The way to do it is the opposite – tell them to keep trying until they can do it.

tomhoward

Do Deliveroo and Just Eat deliver to moving trains and buses?

Asking for a friend

Seen a few posts on social media where folk have met delivery drivers on platforms…

Drac

Perchy you need to build a wall around the snack cupboard and make your kids pay for it.

bob_summers

So when my sister is travelling on the train from York to London with her 6 & 4yr old daughters to visit our Mum, the kids aren’t allowed to eat?

They said local transport on the radio before.

As an ex user of night buses and last tubes (nothing much worse than someone getting on with a dirty kebab then eating it the way only drunks can), I’m all for a ban 😉 But it penalises those who do have a bit of consideration for other passengers.
    I pick Jr up after school off one bus, then we get straight on another to go up to judo. He has to eat something, but it’s fruit or something that doesn’t stink the bus up. Egg sandwiches on coach trips in June? I simply won’t be there (reference anyone?)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Perchy you need to build a wall around the snack cupboard and make your kids pay for it.

Not if they impeach me first.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The overwhelming sense of “everyone should be able to take part” meant that things that pushed kids over the limit kept being cut back. The way to do it is the opposite – tell them to keep trying until they can do it.

null

😉

natrix
    Free Member

The Domino’s delivery guy is at the gate of my kids school every day with a car full of pizzas that kids have ordered online

KFC used to deliver to the nearby military training area for the troops who were fed up with rations whilst on exercise 🙂

Anyway, the Germans have managed to ban eating on local public transport so I can’t see why we can’t (oh hang on, yes I can see how we’d screw it up given current performance………….)

Drac

Anyway, the Germans have managed to ban eating on local public transport so I can’t see why we can’t

Ah! So it’s the EU telling us what to do, then we definitely need to prevent this from happening.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

KFC used to deliver to the nearby military training area for the troops who were fed up with rations whilst on exercise

Yeah, I’ve ordered a takeaway to various training areas over the years. It must happen a fair bit as delivery drivers have never batted an eyelid when a bunch of armed and filthy looking reprobates have stepped out from the bushes at the lay-by they are directed to.

I also remember a kebab van that used to turn up outside the gate at ‘The Tomato Factory’ base in Gornji Vakuf, Bosnia. It was best not to ask where he got his kebab meat from, in a country where livestock had to navigate literal minefields to stay alive.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The nearest Flashy gets to public transport is the cocktail bar of an A380!

Except on evening flights when the bouncers enforce the no trainers rule.

slowoldman

As I pointed out earlier that’s what the article on the Beeb said. Though of course it is an Internet norm to comment without reading the related article.

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s disgusting they shouldn’t allow that at the school, they should only allow it from independent pizza shops.

Totally agree! 😀

So where can I set up street food stir fired rice noodle? 😅 Must healthier than pizza.

In the far east all the canteen food at school are delicious and rather cheap too. I remember having 4 different independent stalls at school feeding thousands (nearly 2k) during the break times. We had breakfast and lunch at school and yes we were constantly hungry.

During my primary school years I used to get 20p (equivalent of £) for breakfast and “lunch” (after school we still go home to have lunch btw again) and progressing to 40p in final year of primary school. 😃

For the noodle with tofu (meat in the middle) the best way to eat them is to drown them with chilli sauce (the western original Tabasco is the closest taste – oh ya the original Tabasco is weak … very weak and I can drink them like water 🤣).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cougar

One of my Facebook friends on this topic this morning.

Rant time…. so some leftie think tank is talking of banning food on trains to combat obesity.

One person is talking about it, the media jumped on it like a tramp on chips and knees are jerking countrywide.

I can’t possibly fathom how we came to have brexit.

Bunnyhop

Drac – no where did I say no one smoked – I said hardly anyone smoked. Maybe it’s different where you live.

I think it’s a great idea, you don’t, we’ll both have to agree to disagree.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Except on evening flights when the bouncers enforce the no trainers rule.

They turfed me out of my favourite seat on my last flight!

😎

perchypanther
    Free Member

They turfed me out of my favourite seat on my last flight!

To be fair, the pilot usually sits there.

It’s only right he should get first dibs.

Drac

Drac – no where did I say no one smoked – I said hardly anyone smoked. Maybe it’s different where you live.

I think it’s a great idea, you don’t, we’ll both have to agree to disagree.

Sorry reduced but the scale to get there was way beyond just stopping kids having a snack on the bus.

I think it’s pointless but the other suggestions are pretty good so yes we have different views.

w00dster

Bunnyhop, there’s nothing wrong with snacking. Both my kids snack everyday, I’m not going to make them hold out for dinner. Don’t be so judgemental without knowing what happens in other people’s lives.
    My daughters swim first thing in the morning some mornings, do cross country running (lunch times and evenings), as well as ballet lessons once a week.
    They are growing kids who are incredibly active, If they are hungry they snack. I’ll never remove the opportunity for them to snack as I think that is where obesity can come from. Lack of education and the removal of snacks or treats leads to a negative effect in my view. If my kids want a pizza they can have a pizza, it’s a balance as 99% of the time they eat proper home cooked food, using plates and knives and forks as well. My kids are not unique, all of their friends are very similar.
    And where is your evidence for “most kids only eat finger food”?

Bunnyhop

I have absolutely no problem with children snacking on healthy food, fruit, salads, nuts, chopped up veg stick, etc.
    However what this is about is obesity, meaning snacking on over salted, high in sugar drinks and snacks is a no no.

We used to give my nephew a snack box full of healthy bits and pieces (which I made up myself), not too much otherwise he wouldn’t eat his meals.

We are mtbers so I’m guessing most of us have sporty children and children who partake in hobbies which require movement. Yes if you’re taking a child to a tennis match straight from school it will need a snack.

What we are being told is that snacks of certain types that tend to make children overweight should be banned from public transport. I happen to support any effort to help children become healthier.

Cougar

snacking on over salted, high in sugar drinks and snacks is a no no.

snacking excessively on over salted, high in sugar drinks and snacks is what’s problematic, no? Everything in moderation, and all that.

Drac

She also called for a ban on eating and drinking on urban public transport with exceptions for drinking fresh water and eating and drinking for medical conditions

I can’t find where the suggestion was for unhealthy food only so even Tarquin and his carrot sticks with humus will be accountable if caught.

crazy-legs

Yes, I found that little gem afterwards while wondering exactly how it would be enforced when there was an at-seat catering service!

Talking of enforcement though… a bunch of schoolkids on a bus or train, who exactly is going to stop them eating and drinking whatever they want? Ticket inspectors are few and far between. Police are far too under-resourced. So ultimately, there’s no (cost-effective) method of preventing it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Ban Eating on Public Transport’ is closed to new replies.