Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Ban Eating on Public Transport
  • timbog160

I think it’s a good idea….nothing ruins a journey like a noisy eater!! 😡

Drac

Apart from miserable gits.

martinhutch

Drac obviously likes a couple of packets of Monster Munch on the train…

As long as we can ban cackling and tinny headphone beats as well, I’m in.

FuzzyWuzzy

And smelly people, especially cyclists on trains :p

weeksy

why on earth are you getting public transport ?

mashr

Gonna be bloody starving after a 5hr train to London!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ban Eating on Public Transport

That would dramatically reduce Flashy’s foie gras intake.

jekkyl

yeah bus **** er

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As long as this doesn’t include long haul flights, I’m in.

🤣 @PP!

timbog160

The nearest Flashy gets to public transport is the cocktail bar of an A380! 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

an A380

Just a bus with wings, innit.

Drac

Drac obviously likes a couple of packets of Monster Munch on the train…

Roasted Beef flavour.

willard

Pickled Onion is a better choice for a crowded bus. Just make sure you brush the crumbs out of your string vest before you stand up

philjunior
    Free Member

an A380

Just a bus with wings, innit.

Might as well call it an air-bus. Or something.

Anyway, I’m not missing out on the petty opportunity to buy as much tea, coffee and snacks as possible on the train in order to close the financial between first and standard class dramatically. (we used to be able to take 1st class so we had a decent chance of actually working, not any more.)

ads678

Pickled Onion is a better choice for a crowded bus.

Nah, Scampi Fries FTW…

DezB
    Free Member

It’s the solution! Will stop kids getting fat won’t it. Won’t it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s the solution! Will stop kids getting fat won’t it. Won’t it?

They should just make all the doors  and seats really narrow to stop all the fat kids getting on until they’ve walked off some of the chub.

martinhutch

Or take out all the seats and encourage erratic driving (many bus companies already do this) so that they have to hang on for dear life and don’t have a hand free for gob-stuffing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Another idea from someone who thinks public transport is all about just popping across towm

Talk about nanny state.

Who’s gonna police this anyway they can barely check our tickets between stops sue to over crowding

ads678

Just ban public transport and make people walk.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ban eating in cars

w00dster

Ah Scampi fries, goes great with my cans of Stella on the train.
    Luckily I travel first class and a “free” cup of coffee and a meal. I presume the eating ban would only be for the people in the “lower” class carriages?

DezB
    Free Member

Ban eating in cars

easily
    Free Member

Ban e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ cars

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It won’t end well if somebody tells me off for eating my post drinkies kebab on the train on the way home!😁🤮

tthew

One of my Facebook friends on this topic this morning.

Rant time…. so some leftie think tank is talking of banning food on trains to combat obesity. I could hardly contain myself reading this. 😂 Which blithering spunk nugget came up with this little gem eh..? Do they honestly think that not offering chubby Charlotte a cheese and tomato sandwich on her 20 minute journey to her mates, where she’s planning on destroying 6 pints of strongbow, 20 jäger bombs and a doner kebab, is really going to make a difference? Nah me neither.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

How on earth does anybody think this is enforceable or anything other than a gesture. Buses only have a driver, are they gonna stop the bus and check who’s eating ?
    The buses I [ occasionally ] catch in Manchester reek of skunk – the upstairs seems to be a mobile cannabis den , the only thing the driver could do would be to phone ahead top the police and stop the bus.That won’t happen for skunk so it aint gonna happen for monster munch .

Joe

Some of these suggestions to reduce obesity are so **** patronising and stupid its incredible that people have the audacity to suggest them.

Loughan
    Free Member

at this rate you’ll not be able to smack your sausage on the bus. And we call this progress!

andyl
    Free Member

is there any data to support eating on public transport leads to obesity?

Things that annoy me on public transport:

1. feet on seats
    2. children being given phones to play games on with the volume on
    3. lazy parents who just give their whinging kids food or phones to shut them up instead of engaging with them properly
    4. litter
    5. People who think it’s your problem if they are sat in your reserved seat
    6. Overpowering aftershave or perfume, especially when combined with end of working day body odour
    7. Whatsapp or other annoying messenger sounds constantly going off

I feel like a grumpy old git writing that list

Bunnyhop

Well I for one think its a great idea.
    Smoking managed to get banned, why not eating.

What’s wrong with families nowadays sitting together at a table and eating their meals properly.
    Eating meals together is so important. You get to engage with the family. Learn how to use cutlery (most children today eat finger food). Learn table manners. Learn that food is something to be prepared and eaten with love, not just something to stuff down your neck for every waking moment.

The litter problem is huge in this country, its caused from takeaways and snacking. The rat population is huge and if we can curb some people from eating the mostly unhealthy snacks that you can buy almost everywhere, then that’s a tick in my book.

Of course not all parents have time to prepare proper meals, however I’m sure they know that unhealthy snacking (in between meals) isn’t good for children.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So because some people can’t plan or exercise self control all must suffer.

Gonna be a long (hungry)journey from Edinburgh to London now

Or in your fantasy world do we have to prove we have been on the public transport long enough to justify eating ?

Fyi not all eating is as you generalise *unhealthy snacking* …. I’ll often have my lunch on the way to somewhere on the train as my journey takes place over lunch time and I have little else important to do to pass the time….

Drac

Well I for one think its a great idea.
    Smoking managed to get banned, why not eating.

Because eating is a basic need.

Remarkably it’s also possible to both be someone who eats on a train and can sit down to have a meal with the family.

Its also possible for kids to snack between meals and still be healthy.

andyl
    Free Member

Smoking managed to get banned, why not eating

But someone eating a kebab on a train doesnt give me cancer!

while you could ban fast food outlets in stations it would help and only allow salads and fruit to be sold why should you? Sometimes after a long day all you want is a burger. Doesnt mean you are obese.

This is down to people and their lack of self control and stresses of modern life. My work balance-life balance is terrible at the moment but I still don’t eat shitty fast food all the time because of it.

slowoldman

From the BBC article

The most eye-catching announcement is the proposed ban on eating and drinking on public transport.
    This is squarely aimed at children on the way to and from school and so will only apply on local transport – trains, buses, trams and metro networks.
    Inter-city trains with buffet cars will not be covered, the CMO said.
    The idea is to discourage snacking.

Drac

There’s some actual sensible suggestions in her report.

Phasing out all marketing, advertising and sponsorship of unhealthy food and drink

Banning food and drink on local transport with exceptions for water, breast-feeding and medical conditions

Free water refills to be available at all food outlets, transport stations and public sector buildings

Regular car-free weekends across the country to encourage physical activity

Changing planning rules to make it harder to open fast-food takeaways

Extending the sugar tax to include milk-based drinks

Adding VAT to unhealthy food products that are currently zero-rated, such as cakes

Capping calories in food served out-of-the home to combat rising portion sizes

Consider plain packaging – as for tobacco – for junk food, if firms fail to reduce sugar, fat and salt in their products quickly enough

All nurseries, registered childminders and schools to adopt water and milk-only policies

Yup so kids eat before they get on the bus or after when they pop into the sweatshop from getting off the bus.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Our local kebab shops, chinese and various other haute cuisine establishments are open at school lunchtimes, surely that’s a no brainer, and easily addressed by local council licensing.

I’d just ban takeaways tbh, helps combat fatties and the litter epidemic in one fell swoop. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

What’s wrong with families nowadays sitting together at a table and eating their meals properly.
    Eating meals together is so important. You get to engage with the family. Learn how to use cutlery (most children today eat finger food). Learn table manners. Learn that food is something to be prepared and eaten with love, not just something to stuff down your neck for every waking moment.

Ffs. I had sandwiches and stuff on the train with my son on Friday on the way to London (we didn’t take cutlery or a tablecloth!).
    Do you think I feed him all his meals on public transport ?
    Or maybe just because we had a busy morning and then a 3 hour journey that spanned his lunchtime 🙄

Drac

Our local kebab shops, chinese and various other haute cuisine establishments are open at school lunchtimes, surely that’s a no brainer, and easily addressed by local council licensing.

Very easily. Our local schools don’t allow the kids out at lunchtime which allows me to decide if I’m going to treat myself to a takeaway.

nickc

Things that annoy me on public transport:

8. Grumpy old gits complaining about having to engage with other humans

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Ban Eating on Public Transport’ is closed to new replies.