Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Ban Eating on Public Transport
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Prof Dame Sally Davies.. Is a clever little sausage isn’t she?

If she’d “just” come out and said, child obesity is our biggest problem. The media (trad and social) would not have given a monkey’s.

By saying something a bit contensuious, a bit left wing and something that would affect a large part of society, not just the kids or their parents, she has “lit” up the discussion everywhere

Well played madam

Clover

Where I live kids are picked up in cars… obviously the ban will extend to them? In fact, they are much less likely to walk at all if they’re being ferried around so I would say it’s more important for it to be enforced in cars.

As a train breakfaster when I commuted last (it was just too early when I got up but I made coffee and toast for the train), I don’t think this is a goer. Or will have the desired effect. People using public transport tend to be more active so you want to encourage them not put them off.

Drac

You’re right but sadly the discussion is ‘Nanny state’ ‘My baby, I can’t feed my baby’ and ‘kid are fat’

I wondered that too Clover if targeting public transport will send the wrong message and put people off using it.

muckytee
    Free Member

How could you enforce it, it’s not as though the police are going to board a train just to take away some chicken nuggets from a ten year old.

‘Down on the ground, hand over the nuggets and nobody gets hurt, easy now, easy’

trail_rat
    Free Member

I expect it will rely very much on busibodies to stick their nose into other people’s business and cause friction with their absolute zero power.

There was a similar thread on here recently.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I find it hard to fathom that the outgoing chief medical officer wants chefs to try and limit calories in meals. I would think this is only going to hurt the food industry in the UK – just as we were starting to get a proper foodie culture again.

Besides that, tapas style food would then become more normal to get around the legislation.

We need to find other means to encourage people to take responsibility for how much they eat.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And imagine the outrage when the first diabetic gets tasered on a bus for eating some sweets 😀

binners

Has anyone been prosecuted yet for the last similar genius law – making it illegal to smoke in a car with kids in?

If a proposal immediately raises the question ‘who’s going to enforce that, then?’, then the answer is invariably nobody.

Drac

just as we were starting to get a proper foodie culture again.

A proper food culture will be encouraged  by making the crap chains review their shit food.

CountZero

I find it hard to fathom that the outgoing chief medical officer wants chefs to try and limit calories in meals. I would think this is only going to hurt the food industry in the UK – just as we were starting to get a proper foodie culture again.

No, the food industry just does what it’s been doing for years, steadily reducing the size of portions, while keeping the price the same, particularly noticeable since the last government push to reduce obesity.
    Soon you’ll be paying ten quid for a pizza the size of a saucer…

Drac

Soon you’ll be paying ten quid for a pizza the size of a saucer…

Pizza Express without the vouchers prices.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If a proposal immediately raises the question ‘who’s going to enforce that, then?’, then the answer is invariably nobody.

Been driving for 23 years, never been stopped by plod, never been breathalysed. Mibbe justification for a few pints on the way home then eh?. 😉

IdleJon

a bit left wing

I would have thought the proposal a little more right-wing police state than left-wing?

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Ban Eating on Public Transport’ is closed to new replies.