Home Forums Chat Forum Backpacking rucksack recommendations please

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Backpacking rucksack recommendations please
  • lowey

As above really. Looking for a pack to up to 2 nights on the hills. What are you guys using ?

I was looking at the Osprey Atmos AG65 in a shop over the weekend. Very comfy on the back and seemed to have all the features. Just wondering if there are any others I should be considering.

Thanks all.

boblo
    Free Member

I’d have thought 65l for 2 nights is way over the top assuming decent backpacking kit and not Vango/DoE stuff.

onewheelgood

65L is rather large for 2 nights. I have a selection of Osprey Talon’s in different sizes and they are great, worth looking at that range as well as the Atmos.

convert

I’d have thought 65l for 2 nights is way over the top assuming decent backpacking kit and not Vango/DoE stuff.

Depends on time of year, where in the country, what height you plan to camp at and if you are solo or can share kit.

I was leading a group a few weeks back when we had a bit of weather come through (snow in the ‘gorms) so I was using a my 4 season Hilleberg Soulo and my winter bag, duvet jacket etc. Very glad for a reasonable sized sack. Similarly, I’ve done 4 days trailing a DofE gold group in the summer with a 40L bag. Horses for courses and all that. Modern bags like that Osprey cinch down well if you don’t need all the capacity so it’s no biggie if you only have one bag having one that can have the capacity when you need it.

OP – the atmos is a nice bag. Cheaper options available if you don’t think you’ll ever use it again but its a good option. IMO Ospreys are quite feature rich and physically light in lieu of some robustness so need treating with a little respect.

nerd
    Free Member

Decathlon rucksacks in their mid to high end range are surprisingly good, and have a 10 year guarantee.  Maybe not the lightest, but robust, comfortable and have a built in rainproof cover.

I have the 20L version of this as a daypack:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mountain-hiking-backpack-40l-mh500/_/R-p-310102?mc=963085&c=black_carbon+grey

They also do a 30L version, as well as the 20L and 40L.

boblo
    Free Member

Depends on time of year, where in the country, what height you plan to camp at and if you are solo or can share kit.

Fair enough. As he was asking for advice, I assumed a fair weather entrant to test the waters – so to speak. You know what they say about assuming…

So yeah, more info needed. 2 nights in a predicted Hymalayan storm at 6000m or 2 summer nights in the South of Ingerlaaand…?

In the olden days, we bought 1 75L sac to carry the one set of everything all the time. These days, we have different kit for every season, day of the week,  prevailing wind direction etc – and long may it continue 🙂

lowey

Thanks guys. I always err on the side of caution when it comes to pack size. Planning on year round trips so the insulated jacket / dry clothes and rather bulky 4 season sleeping bag do take up a lot of space. As @convert states, these bags do tend to pack down well when not using the full capacity.

Will have a look at the decathlon bags thanks nerd.

Hedgehopper

The Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor range get good reviews though there doesn’t seem to be much stock available at present. The companies linked below don’t have stock at present but one has its own review of the bag and the other has an option to setup an email alert:

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/flex-capacitor-40-60l-rucksack/

Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor 40-60L Backpack

edited to add a few places do have stock with some having it reduced :

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/rucksacks/hiking-trekking-packs/sierra-designs-flex-capacitor-40-60l-backpack-peat__55069?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=80710223PT-M/L&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADpEPujg6mbZwzRYyD8ET8P4hgHtk&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7Py4BhCbARIsAMMx-_KYGzKzYjrat3ECEpfqwRuvdEJu078ii62NwY1gJ-2MKRdQu7RIFmkaAhAMEALw_wcB

Flex Capacitor 40-60L Backpack with Waist Belt | ** New Version **

boriselbrus

I have a Flex Capacitor and it is excellent. Thoroughly recommended.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.