Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 616 total)
  • Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member

Because we live in the UK (a free country), not the former USSR. Driving would turn into a dull, frustrating, monotonous and stressful chore with no one being able to develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions. Plus I’d never be able to have any fun on a deserted motorway or quiet country B road.

So you want to be able to break the speed limit when you want.

Klunk
    Free Member

Have i logged on to pistonheads by mistake?

nope just selfish****world.

TooTall
    Free Member

My record is 123mph through them on a motorbike

You chimp. The reduced limit is there because of limitations due to roadworks and the like. The reduced limit is there for safety reasons. I suppose naming some bikers ‘organ donors’ isn’t that far from the truth,

chiefgrooveguru

Well, yeah! I thought it was common knowledge that car speedos read 10% fast, so at 55 indicated you’re doing 50, etc.

Some do, some don’t. Car speedos used to over-read more, nowadays many are almost exact with a fresh set of tyres at the right pressure, only over-reading as the tyres get worn, and then by much less than 10%.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Average speed cameras? I love ’em. They can’t catch motorbikes, see? 😈

rebel12
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

rebel12 – Member

Because we live in the UK (a free country), not the former USSR. Driving would turn into a dull, frustrating, monotonous and stressful chore with no one being able to develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions. Plus I’d never be able to have any fun on a deserted motorway or quiet country B road.

So you want to be able to break the speed limit when you want.

If road and traffic conditions outside of built up areas mean that it’s perfectly safe to do so then yes. And before you say ‘but what about the unexpected’ or ‘what about the group of cyclists around the blind corner’ – well that’s part of the skill of driving, to be able to anticipate this sort of thing and to slow right down to walking pace if necessary.

weeksy

TooTall – Member

My record is 123mph through them on a motorbike

You chimp. The reduced limit is there because of limitations due to roadworks and the like. The reduced limit is there for safety reasons. I suppose naming some bikers ‘organ donors’ isn’t that far from the truth,

Miracle i’m still here typing really isn’t it 😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Miracle i’m still here typing really isn’t it

We YOU should be ashamed of yourself! 8)

TooTall
    Free Member

Miracle i’m still here typing really isn’t it

Not really. STW seems to have a few mouth-breathing, self-centred chaps (as is evident by this thread).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I like ’em

Set the cruise control, sit back and relax.

“My turn on the ipad kids” 😯 😆

joemarshall
    Free Member

Well, yeah! I thought it was common knowledge that car speedos read 10% fast, so at 55 indicated you’re doing 50, etc.

No it isn’t.

At most 10% fast, and not at all slow is the actual thing. How much fast it is varies per car, it’s 72 = 70 on my Golf (less than 3% over-reading).

RobHilton
    Free Member

Anyone know how 2 cameras can cover 3 lanes?

Or, indeed if they’re effective at night? I’d have guessed the glare from headlights might prevent the reg plate being read. Maybe.

ransos
    Free Member

Because we live in the UK (a free country), not the former USSR.

The UK isn’t a free country. We have all sorts of restrictions on what we can and cannot do, including how fast we drive.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not really. STW seems to have a few mouth-breathing, self-centred chaps (as is evident by this thread).

That’s true actually. There’s nearly as many of those as there are perfect, self righteous people riding around on high horses taking themselves too seriously…… 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Or, indeed if they’re effective at night? I’d have guessed the glare from headlights might prevent the reg plate being read. Maybe.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/specs.htm

TooTall
    Free Member

That’s true actually

I know. The only time I met you, you sashayed into the building, declared everyone present knew you (when introductions were offered), waved your arm like a fading actor, then sat down and didn’t listen to most of the advice you asked for.
    I thought it was how an unusually-pierced Danny LaRue would hold court.

The ‘only joking’ defence is up there with the Edinburgh Defence. I’ve dealt with too many deaths and injuries caused by people riding and driving beyond limits (external and internal) for me to give a toss about hurting the feelings of idiots who brag about that sort of thing on an internet forum.

clubber
    Free Member

I can’t imagine PP sashaying FWIW.

weeksy

I’ve dealt with too many deaths and injuries caused by people riding and driving beyond limits (external and internal) for me to give a toss about hurting the feelings of idiots who brag about that sort of thing on an internet forum.

I’m too skilled and too well trained to listen to idiots who think they know it all on an internet forum.

Just because you think 150mph is ‘fast’ and ‘dangerous’ doesn’t mean we all do.

clubber
    Free Member

Stop trolling 🙄

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m too skilled and too well trained to listen to idiots who think they know it all on an internet forum.

If you won’t listen to him, why should he listen to you?

Ah I forgot this is STW where we are all experts in everything & have never made a mistake…….

“Pot calling kettle…”

weeksy

If you won’t listen to him, why should he listen to you?

That was kind of my point really. He’s coming over as a know it all because someone was killed/injured etc…

Damn, i know someone who was killed by a toaster, doesn’t mean i’m never using a toaster again. People die, people get hurt, it happens.

Does that mean just because i/we ride motorbikes we should give them up ? How about bicycles, plenty of people die doing that too.

My point is… just because his perception is that ‘people were driving beyond their limits’ doesnt necessarily mean that just because someone is going quickly they’re beyond their limits. Many many hours of riding motorbikes on racetracks mean that IMO my ‘limits’ are different to a bloke who drives to the shops on a wet Wednesday afternoon once a week.

theboatman
    Free Member

And before you say ‘but what about the unexpected’ or ‘what about the group of cyclists around the blind corner’ – well that’s part of the skill of driving,

Wouldn’t you have to still anticipate these things driving within the speed limit, by speeding aren’t you just reducing the chance of negotiating these things safely? I’ve heard all the ‘i thought it was safe’ stuff, from the mouths of folk whose speeding has contributed to the death of their child/ parents/ spouse/ friends/ strangers, and i wonder if people like yourself can understand what a dick it makes you sound spouting it off because you want to speed.
    Even if folk didn’t speed people would die on the roads, but a few less. I would just rather folk that want to speed just be honest and say ‘I’ll speed if i want and don’t give a **** about the consequences to others’, all this I’m a highly skilled driver Clarkson bollix is just that. It’s no different than saying i only use my phone driving when i know it’s safe, or i know about that assault shite, but I’m not having the government tell me who i can or can’t slap around a bit.

Edit – oh, i see the tolling has started, just ignore me.

Lifer
    Free Member

Duh, everyone knows that breaking the speed limit gets you straight into MAN territory. If you were lacking in that area to begin with, anyhows.

konabunny
    Free Member

Because we live in the UK (a free country), not the former USSR. Driving would turn into a dull, frustrating, monotonous and stressful chore with no one being able to develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions.

They didn’t have speed cameras in the USSR. They don’t have many now. They had tons of plod standing around stopping people for no reason and extorting money. The driving skill then as now was crap.

What was your point again?

Lifer
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    What was your point again?

I think it was something about a pissing contest.

aracer
    Free Member

Anybody for a bloke with a red flag?

molgrips
    Free Member

with no one being able to develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions

Lol, what a load of total garbage.

Just because you think 150mph is ‘fast’ and ‘dangerous’ doesn’t mean we all do.

It is more dangerous than 70mph. Fact of physics I’m afraid. Just ask Ayrton Senna.

Oh and drive to the speedo not the satnav. Traffic flows better if everyone goes at the SAME speed not some people doing 10% more than others.

Re the average speed cameras – they need to install some on the M4 around Newport. They took several years and annoyed everyone installing variable speed limits to ease congestion, and everyone totally ignores it. What a bloody waste of effort. The people of South Wales are apparently too retarded to realise why the signs are there.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s no different than saying i only use my phone driving when i know it’s safe, or i know about that assault shite, but I’m not having the government tell me who i can or can’t slap around a bit.

Nicely put. He won’t listen though because he knows better than you.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh and drive to the speedo not the satnav. Traffic flows better if everyone goes at the SAME speed not some people doing 10% more than others.

That would assume that everybody’s speedo overreads by the same amount. Should I go a few mph slower now I’ve got a car where the speedo overreads a bit more?

Oh, and it also ignores that you can generally go a few mph more than the limit without any danger (of either killing somebody by doing 52mph on a straight but of motorway or getting points on your licence).

D0NK

…well that’s part of the skill of driving…
    …no one being able to develop the necessary driving skills to judge what is a safe speed for the conditions…

you have seen the quality of driving for your average road user haven’t you? Rules are created based on the populous not on driving gods such as yourself. But unfortunately yes you have* to follow them too.

Average speed cameras with changeable speed limits would be a good idea for busy roads, I presume I’m not the only one to witness loads of people doing 70+ in driving rain and bugger all visibility but still tailgating the guy in front?

*&or pay the fine

rebel12
    Free Member

Sorry but using a mobile phone whilst driving is nothing like speeding. Using a mobile is a big distraction, whereas when I’m driving fast my full attention is on the road. Before anyone criticises people who speed, perhaps you should look at your own driving. If you can hold your hands up and say with honesty that you’ve newer strayed over the limit then fair enough. I doubt whether that’s the case though, and clearly if you’ve just strayed over the limit by accident rather than deliberately then you’re not paying enough attention when you drive.

aracer
    Free Member

Average speed cameras with changeable speed limits would be a good idea for busy roads, I presume I’m not the only one to witness loads of people doing 70+ in driving rain and bugger all visibility but still tailgating the guy in front?

Though the most dangerous bit of that is the tailgating – we really need tailgating cameras (not that I disagree about enforcing lower speed limits in bad conditions).

brooess
    Free Member

The people of South Wales are apparently too retarded to realise why the signs are there.

This is kindof the point isn’t it?

M4 shut for 6 hours, 1 dead man

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ah I forgot this is STW where we are all experts in everything & have never made a mistake

But the consequences of getting it wrong are so vastly different, If my souffle fails to rise or my photograph is out of focus it doesnt kill or injure somebody and change other people’s lives forever because of my misplaced sell belief in my own skills.

klumpy
    Free Member

I’ve cadged plenty of advanced training on the motorbike, and the approach to out of town driving is about creating space and time for yourself. You do this in order to give yourself a situation within which you can make progress. If you’re doing it right you shouldn’t actually know if you’re speeding, the number on the dial can’t tell you anything more useful than the view in front.

I’ve never been a racing driver, but I suspect there is zero overlap between racing driving and advanced IAM style driving. Advanced driving is not that heroic really, it’s not about “rarr I’m on the limit”, it’s about being in the right place, taking in all the information, and making a good plan.

This is a forum which regularly sees huge swathes of cyclists insist that jumping a red light, when done with care, is safe. I’d like to see the venn diagram of those who defend “RLJ”-ing and those who condemn speeding.

brooess
    Free Member

2,000 dead people every year on the roads.
    Over 5 people every single day…
    Don’t see the point of joining them or contributing to it by speeding…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Before ASCs were used in motorway road works, a few miles of 50mph works would nearly always cause tailbacks for miles as folk drove at 70/80/90 and slammed on the anchors for the one or two Gatsos, then went back to whatever speed they’d been doing before. Now, unless the weight of traffic is so much that a reduction in speed is going to cause delays anyway, traffic generally flows much better through the works. They’ve been a fantastic idea. I can’t see any reason why all motorways and say, dual carriageways shouldn’t have ASCs all the way along. Anyone who’s happy to drive at the limit doesn’t need to worry. Anyone who wants to speed with get themselves a ban. So, reduce congestion and remove idiots from the road at the same time. Yay! 🙂

(If donorbikers, by their actions, didn’t affect so many others by getting themselves killed, I’d happily let them do as they please. However, technology will catch them eventually. It’s only a matter of time till the ASCs can catch the back of the vehicle too.)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Perhaps we need a two stage driving test, so that all the experts who can read the road perfectly and never make mistakes get a different coloured numberplate to exempt them from speed limits?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Perhaps we need a two stage driving test, so that all the experts who can read the road perfectly and never make mistakes get a different coloured numberplate to exempt them from speed limits?

I thought they just bought an Audi with S in the model number?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Great idea, maybe give the plate an EGO prefix so it’s easy to spot?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 616 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?’ is closed to new replies.