Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 616 total)
  • Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?
  • rebel12
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

rebel12 – Member

It’s completely selfish to drive at say 40 in a 60 limit when conditions would easily allow 60+

(‘morning all )

why?

didn’t your advanced training teach you to expect to get stuck behind horses/milk floats/bikes/trucks/cattle/classic cars/cars running a space-saver/etc. and not to get stressed out when you do?

Yes but those vehicles can’t go any faster can they so that’s fine. A modern car on the otherhand can easily achieve NSL in clear conditions. Totally different.

xiphon – Member

Rebel12 » It’s completely selfish to drive at say 40 in a 60 limit when conditions would easily allow 60+

And equally it might be considered selfish (in a dangerous way) to drive 60 PLUS in a 60 limit.

Why is it selfish? So long as it’s safe to do so and I’m considerate of other road users it’s not selfish at all.

Anyway I think this thread has gone on long enough. It’s almost impossible to try and educate those that do not want to learn.

Cougar

What makes traffic flow better is most people travelling at the same speed. The faster people go, the more braking is required so the more the speed changes.

Giving yourself a decent braking distance rather than driving up the arse of the car in front would have the same effect. You get these phantom ‘standing wave’ traffic jams when someone brakes, and the vehicle behind is too close and brakes harder, and so on. Sadly, we haven’t yet invented Increase Your Braking Distance cameras.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do speed occasionally, but I definitely do not do it habitually. Cruise goes on at 70mph on the motorway. And then people can’t believe I get 60mpg from the Passat…

(it is nice when people pull over, i do it myself – it’s a nice habit i made an effort to adopt when i lived in NZ)

When driving slowly you mean? I frequently pull over in the caravan. And how much motorway is on the journey is a factor in where we choose to go.

Giving yourself a decent braking distance rather than driving up the arse of the car in front would have the same effect.

It still happens, even if there is adequate braking distance, it’s just not as bad.

ahwiles
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member

Totally different.

maybe, maybe not.

and what training were you given to deal with the insufferable stress when it happens?

molgrips – Member
    When driving slowly you mean?

yep, i’m a slow driver, i can grow a ‘tail’ quite quickly.

my first car was a mini with drum brakes, i’ve had my fun/terror, i’ve found all the cars i’ve had since reassuringly boring.

dazh

Anyway I think this thread has gone on long enough. It’s almost impossible to try and educate those that do not want to learn.

Taking your cricket bat home? Seriously though, have you considered at all the possibility that people don’t want to be ‘educated’ because you might actually be wrong? Like I said at the beginning of all this, the silly justifications and logic-warping arguments do nothing to promote your cause, they just mark you out as someone who isn’t willing to accept that they’re wrong and be up front about it.

Cougar

Then it’s not ‘adequate’. I’m not talking about the “two second rule”, you need more than that to absorb the speed fluctuations.

Cougar

Why on earth would people not want to be better educated? I don’t think I want to share living space with those people.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then it’s not ‘adequate’. I’m not talking about the “two second rule”, you need more than that to absorb the speed fluctuations

Thing is, you don’t realise how much someone in front has slowed down if they are a long way off. So you end up needing to brake harder than if you were closer. It ends up about the same I’d think.

And besides, when it’s busy there just isn’t the room. If you want to see how people CAN co-operate well in extreme traffic situations, try the M4 on a Friday afternoon between Reading and Swindon. Almost all the lorries have gone, and usually it’s a raft of traffic all doing 50-60mph, fairly close, but still moving. The sheer volume of traffic still flowing often amazes me.

dazh

Giving yourself a decent braking distance rather than driving up the arse of the car in front would have the same effect. You get these phantom ‘standing wave’ traffic jams when someone brakes, and the vehicle behind is too close and brakes harder, and so on. Sadly, we haven’t yet invented Increase Your Braking Distance cameras.

What we need is this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12215915

Somehow I doubt though that the motoring lobby will be supportive of this type of thing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Why on earth would people not want to be better educated? I don’t think I want to share living space with those people.

And you get to hang out with some awesome folk on our real ale evenings.

molgrips
    Free Member

Somehow I doubt though that the motoring lobby will be supportive of this type of thing.

I thought they were supportive of it? After all, most of us just want our motorway journeys over with unless we are on holiday or something.

Cougar

And you get to hang out with some awesome folk on our real ale evenings.

Do you get trained how to drive home after six pints of of Old Growler?

dazh

I thought they were supportive of it? After all, most of us just want our motorway journeys over with unless we are on holiday or something.

Dunno. I’m happy to be corrected. I’d be interested to know the position of the likes of rebel12 and sbob on this though. There’s huge potential for technology to make driving both safer and faster but it would mean drivers abdicating control to computers which I assume many wouldn’t be happy to do.

Lifer
    Free Member

My parents have the Focus which parks itself…it’s pretty amazing to watch. I’ve been on a plane that landed under autopilot and would have no problem with either road trains or automated vehicles.

joemarshall
    Free Member

My parents have the Focus which parks itself…it’s pretty amazing to watch

The scary thing about that is how fast it turns the wheel. It can apparently get itself into spaces that are quite hard to get out of manually!

greyman
    Free Member

Boy racers, fast cars…… caravans, real ale …
    I think I see both sides of this discussion 😉
    Please can we all be a bit more considerate on the public roads ? 😉
    Ta
    Great thread btw …

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had a self parking car since 2006 🙂

richmtb

Dunno. I’m happy to be corrected. I’d be interested to know the position of the likes of rebel12 and sbob on this though. There’s huge potential for technology to make driving both safer and faster but it would mean drivers abdicating control to computers which I assume many wouldn’t be happy to do.

Well I like to “make progress” along interesting roads, however I would happily let an onboard computer deal with motorway journeys and general commuting duties. The computer can do a better job than me so let it get on with it.

grum
    Free Member

I’d love to have a car that drove itself. Driving is often pretty dull, especially on motorways.

Lifer
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I’ve had a self parking car since 2006

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabcM9SOF-E[/video]

rebel12
    Free Member

dazh – Member

I enjoy driving (even on a motorway) so I can’t say I’d be overly keen for such a thing.

Self park, auto this and auto that is pure laziness and it means that the a driver may never need to learn proper car control. Electric handbrakes are pathetic – technology for technologies sake. Soon we might all end up sat vegetating in a box 24/7 surrounded by screens and technology doing everything for us. That’s no life so far as I’m concerned.

Some level of risk is good – it helps us learn things and develop as humans. If we remove risk and skill from everything we do then life would be pretty sterile and pretty dull. Maybe that’s the way some people want to go perhaps?

Having said that then I think though that this technology is inevitable eventually and so I’d probably have no choice but to adapt. You never know it could be nice to go out for a few pints after a long ride, press the ‘HOME’ button on the car and then sleep things off before you get home. That’s not a bad compromise I suppose?

molgrips
    Free Member

Self park, auto this and auto that is pure laziness

Lol. Washing machines, cars, computers, power tools.. all laziness…

[/quote]Electric handbrakes are pathetic – technology for technologies sake.

Not entirely. Not only do I have more space in my centre console, but it also does safety related things like if I am in drive and I open the door, it puts the handbrake on. My wife’s aunt saw an old woman being dragged down the road and ultimately crushed to death because she’d gone to get out of the car when it was still in drive.

That’s no life so far as I’m concerned.

You may feel that cars are an extension of your personality, others just consider them utility transport. You must respect that. You will still be able to buy cars in the future with manual everything, because there will still be a market for it. It’s NOT ok to denigrate a point of view simply because you hold a different one.

I’d be happy for my car to drive me somewhere – I’d be going to do something useful and fun when I got there, so accusations of it being ‘no life’ aren’t really fair. To me, thinking your driving is your life is no kind of life.

Cougar

What you need there is a thing called a “taxi.”

ahwiles
    Free Member

Some level of risk is good – it helps us learn things and develop as humans. If we remove risk and skill from everything we do then life would be pretty sterile and pretty dull.

i agree, and there are still plenty of opportunities for us to manage risk; rock climbing/mountain biking/sailing/wheelchair rugby/rough pubs/etc.

rebel12
    Free Member

Electric handbrakes are pathetic – technology for technologies sake.

Not entirely. Not only do I have more space in my centre console, but it also does safety related things like if I am in drive and I open the door, it puts the handbrake on. My wife’s aunt saw an old woman being dragged down the road and ultimately crushed to death because she’d gone to get out of the car when it was still in drive.

And that’s where the difference lies Molegrips. You would prefer to have the space inside the car for an extra cupholder. I would prefer the extra control that a manual handbrakes gives in severe winter conditions or in an emergency.

I suppose it’s a bit like comparing someone who rides a normal bike with someone who’s happy with an electrically assisted bike. Neither is right or wrong, and they both serve a purpose – it’s just that I’m someone who would prefer to pedal.

As a side note, a work mate’s electric handbrake didn’t work fully and after leaving it her Landrover rolled backwards outside her house, crushing the bumper and bonnet of the car behind. Technology isn’t infallible just the same was as humans are not either. Lucky there had not been a child in the way on that occasion.

I think that the old woman in your post deserves a Darwin award perhaps?

Lifer
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    What you need there is a thing called a “taxi.”

Yeah that’s really practical for daily commuting.

FuzzyWuzzy

And cables on manual handbrakes have never snapped? I’m not a particular fan of electric handbrakes myself but your arguments against aren’t very convincing. The only time I use my handbrake in winter is messing about in the empty company car park if there’s been fresh snow, actually driving in snowy conditions is very rare for me and I’d imagine most people.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that the old woman in your post deserves a Darwin award perhaps?

It was a tragic accident caused by an honest mistake. You really need to take a look at yourself if you think that’s something to laugh at.

I would prefer the extra control that a manual handbrakes gives in severe winter conditions or in an emergency

a) that’s fine, you will probably always have the choice

b) you should not be using the handbrake whilst driving in winter

rebel12
    Free Member

b) you should not be using the handbrake whilst driving in winter

WFT! ????? 😆

Cougar

The electric handbrake thing is a classic example of fixing something that isn’t broken.

I’ve had two cars with it; a Passat, and my current i40. On the Passat, it took to failing to release, much to my embarrassment when I was at the head of the queue leaving a ferry. The auto-hold thing is nice, but really I think I’d forgo that for one I can release reliably.

dazh

And that’s where the difference lies Molegrips. You would prefer to have the space inside the car for an extra cupholder. I would prefer the extra control that a manual handbrakes gives in severe winter conditions or in an emergency.

I’ll have the extra cupholder please. Excuse my non IAM qualified ignorance, but what extra control does a manual handbrake give? I only use mine when I’m already stationary, and it has two states: on or off.

molgrips
    Free Member

Auto-hold is a separate system to the electronic handbrake actually, on my Passat.

WFT! ?????

You handbrake your way around corners in the snow, on public roads?

dazh

You handbrake your way around corners in the snow, on public roads?

It’s ok, relax, he’s done a course.

richmtb

I really hope none of you lot are driving to Fort William tomorrow.

The tailbacks will be huge 😀

rebel12
    Free Member

Auto-hold is a separate system to the electronic handbrake actually, on my Passat.

Oh well if you drive a Passat I can understand why you don’t like driving. Possible the dullest car on the planet – the automobile equivalent of porridge. Get yourself a good car – you might start to enjoy it.

Excuse my non IAM qualified ignorance, but what extra control does a manual handbrake give? I only use mine when I’m already stationary, and it has two states: on or off.

It allows you to handbrake turn and drive like a f**king loonatic. There are other benefits but this is the answer you wanted to hear isn’t it?

Must go now, I’m late for a meeting after sinking one too many pints at lunchtime and will now have to speed recklessly and without a care for my own or anyone else’s safety to make it in time. Enjoy having fun with your cupholder 😆

xiphon
    Free Member

There are other benefits

Like?

bearnecessities

Rebel12, thought I recognised your ‘name’

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/buying-a-car-not-from-the-registered-keeper

Imo, a secondhand RS4 says a lot 🙂

D0NK

There are other benefits
    Like?

someone was going on about heel toe shifting/braking/driving/whatever a few years back I thought it sounded like daftness solely for driving fast but apparently in snow/ice it can be helpful for hillstarts, I’ve no idea if there’s a good reason for manual handbrakes and winter driving so I’d lay off the derision for now.

Of course if it turns out rebel is talking bobbins again then by all means let rip 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh well if you drive a Passat I can understand why you don’t like driving

I do like driving. I also like driving fast. I am just grown up enough to know that it’s far too **** dangerous to do on public roads.

The more powerful and capable a car is, the faster you have to drive to get any kind of thrill. The faster you drive (as above) the more dangerous it is, even if you are in a fancy car.

I had my choice of fast car when I was car shopping, but I bought a Passat because I wanted to enjoy relaxed comfortable driving, not look for speed and thrills.

I have an MTB for that.

D0NK

GPS/telemetry box in my car? yep I’m in for 20% by choice but would welcome it being made compulsory (with proper checks and everything, no point making honest people jump thru hoops while the dishonest just bypass the system)
    Telemetry should pick up more than speeding too, constantly burying the accelerator followed by hard braking would indicate crap driving so such behaviour would be punished via premiums, not immediate I know so not great, but maybe a warning beep at the time from the box would be a timely reminder to the driver to “cool their jets”.

Road train yeah sounds a good idea, we’ll be waiting for the technology to mature and proliferate, doubt I’ll be using it in my lifetime. What if the lead driver is IAM trained? Tickets for all? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 616 total)

The topic ‘Average speed cameras work. Are they even on ?’ is closed to new replies.