Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Athletes you don’t like
  • CraigW
    Free Member

Dean Karnazes. Read his book, rather annoying guy. Likes to promote himself as the greatest ultramarathon runner ever, but seems he is fairly average.

Tom Simpson. Drugs cheat.

andykirk
    Free Member

Lewis Hamilton – it’s the diamond earrings. Ugh.
    Serena Williams – vile
    Novak Djokovic – total a++e
    Seb Coe – arrogant
    Jeremy Guscott – arrogant
    Freddie Flintoff – the death of Top Gear
    Ronaldo – Cheat. Although he is hardly alone in this.

Not sure why Andy Murray gets so much stick. I think he is a quite a humorous good-natured character. When he isn’t actually playing of course.

Lewis Hamilton – someone above said not fit??? Jesus. Obviously never tried car racing then.

bsims
    Free Member

Will Carling – unbearably smug.

I heard an anecdote about a Leicester vs Harlequins match where Will Carling had made a comment to a Leicester supporter from the field. The supporter in question waited around after the game had finished and punched Will Carling in the face. A witness to this, commented “ that’s the first time I have seen a fan hit the shit!”

I hope it is true.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure I’m keen on these threads. They can get a bit unpleasant. However, I’m here now… 😀

I’ve always liked listening to David Walsh being interviewed (one of the journos that went after Lance) about professional sports people. And given his reputation for sports writing, he probably has a better insight into this group of people than nearly all of us here. He always says (and I paraphrase) that he’s always told his kids that when they look for role-models, that professional sportsmen and sportswomen are amongst the last groups to which they should look, because they’re nearly all arseholes anyway. For me, it’s often easier to judge a sportsperson on how they live their life post-career and if they make an attempt to “put/give something back”. To this extent, I have a lot of time for, say, Didier Drogba (Who I really didn’t like as a player) but had gone on to do good things with his fame and fortune. Sure they’re entitled to a private life too of course.

I had no idea what arseholes Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage were until they got jobs on 5Live.

Seems to be a lot of animosity towards motorsportists – not s fan of the genre but have watched all the good quality documentaries about the various different ones that have come out in the last few years. They all seem pretty unpleasant but I guess you don’t win F1 races by being a nice chap.

csb

Ian Botham because he’s a spokesperson for the grouse shooting lobby and bullies anyone who actually quotes scientific evidence of it’s environmental impact.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Chris Froome
    Never seen any pro look so bad on a bike. He has such bad style. And when he was complaining about being attacked on a decent a few years back didn’t do him any favours in my book.

flange
    Free Member

Not sure I understand this – they’re athletes, not tv presenters (apart from those that now are) or someone I spend time with down the pub. They can be complete narcissists for all I care, if they’re awesome at their chosen sport then what does it matter?

DezB
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say I don’t like them, but there are a few rugby players I can’t understand why they’re so rated. They do one or 2 quite skilful things in a season, but most of what i see is them doing stuff that ruins their team. Both are no. 10s – Quade Cooper and Elton Jantjies
    They’re about as near as get to disliking someone.
    James DeGale comes across as a bit of a knobber, but mostly I don’t like his boxing style, so I don’t like him.
    Don’t like any golfers but thats because I don’t like golf.

brakes
    Free Member

Neymar.

I used to love playing football. I still like it.
    I used to love watching football. I hate watching it now.

Neymar’s cheating and diving antics typify the aspect of the game that has ruined my love of it – the need to “win” a free-kick or a penalty and the player behaviour that breeds.

Spin
    Free Member

And when he was complaining about being attacked on a decent a few years back didn’t do him any favours in my book.

He rose to that challenge though didn’t he?

ads678

Harry Kane.

richmars

What flange says. They’re not supposed to be likeable.

theotherjonv

Steve Smith and David Warner

And I used to hate Michael Clarke as a player but I’m warming to him slightly as a pundit.

fatmax

Serena Williams is the worst. An awful person. Vettel, Hamilton, Pogba, Neymar, Schumacher, Kyrgios, Warner the Aussie cricketer…all chumps!

Cletus

Glenn Hoddle – his dislike of Raheem Sterling is so transparent and ridiculous. Never gives the lad any credit and homes in on the most trivial incidents to criticise him whilst other players in the England team play poorly without getting flask.

Seeing him almost bursting into tears after the Champions League final was (very small) consolation for seeing the trophy go to Anfield

binners

Lawrenson should have been pensioned off about twenty years ago. He’s like Marvin the paranoid android. And Chris Sutton could start an argument in an empty room

But nothing makes me want to kick the telly in more than the dulcet scouse tones of Steve McManomanomman, who spent most of career sat on the bench and somewhat inexpli Inez still has a career as a commentator

He talks utter shite!

RustySpanner

Neymar ruins football, but he’s not alone.

No one mentioned Suarez yet. There’s one to get your teeth into.

And before such cynicism became so common, I absolutely hated Steve McMahon. Nasty, horrible footballer.
    Joey Barton comes across as an utterly reprehensible human being as well, both on and off the pitch.

John Terry, Paolo Di Canio etc…..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Cav, can’t bear to watch his attitude in interviews.

SaxonRider

What flange says. They’re not supposed to be likeable.

See, I disagree with this. Well, maybe they don’t have to be likeable per se, but sportsmanship – which I would at least in part interpret as being a decent human being – is part of the appeal of a good athlete. I mean, who are you going to respect more: the athlete who you hear in the news helped some old lady who broke her hip on the street, or the athlete you hear in the news was complaining that life isn’t fair because some opponent knocked him, and his paycheque isn’t big enough?

Maybe it’s not the best example/analogy, but you know what I mean. It’s only about the results the individual produces in his/her own sport; it’s also about how they go about achieving those results, as well as what they do in the meantime.

andrewh
    Free Member

Andy Murray.
    Kimi Raikenen. Although not sure how much of his persona is playing to the audience and how much is genuine but seems to have far too many ‘can’t be arsed’ races, although fewer of these last year.

anagallis_arvensis

Chris Froome
    Never seen any pro look so bad on a bike. He has such bad style.

Whereas I really like him, races hard but off the bike seems a nice guy. I have never warmed to G however, dont dislike him as such just a bit mleh.

cheers_drive

Surprised at all the dislike if Andy Murray. Alright, he does not interview well but in the more candid things I’ve seen of him he comes across well.
    Graham Swann is my nomination. likes to be see as the joker but is really a no it all bully.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not sure I understand this – they’re athletes, not tv presenters (apart from those that now are) or someone I spend time with down the pub. They can be complete narcissists for all I care, if they’re awesome at their chosen sport then what does it matter?

+1 grown ups going on about people they don’t know and have probably never even met. Discussing how dislikable they are often for the most trivial of reasons 🙁🙁

wesleyspencer9
    Free Member

I’ve worked in anti doping for the last 14 years. This means I’ve met athletes I’ve wanted too and athletes I’ve no interest in. All I’ll say is I’ve learnt to have no preconceptions!

TV does not give an accurate picture of some people.

Saying that. I’ve met some complete nobs!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Andy Murray is great.

His put down of the journalist regarding female players is perfect example of someone who doesn’t have his head up is own arse.

richmars

Are all these ;dislikes’ based on media interviews? Has anyone actually met these really unpleasant people? It’s similar to basing likes and dislikes on what people write on the internet.

w00dster

Over the years I’ve actually really warmed to Froome as a racer. He actually illuminates races. Getting into a break with Sagan, riding on the top tube in a solo attack and the attack in last years Giro, showed real determination. Not many other GC contenders attack like he does. Especially Quintana. Contador was similar in his attacking to Froome and he is a Demi God in the Latin countries.
    He also shows his vulnerabilities, he is not the autobot people perceive and when he is in difficulty it’s written all over his face.
    Tiger Woods is probably the only sports person I’d say I don’t want to win. Possibly Paula Radcliffe back in the day as well, not sure I trust her anti PED stance.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Is anyone who sits down for a living (drivers) really an athlete?!

I can’t stand the pole vaulter Holly Bradshaw. She’s a dour-faced grump who can’t even decide for herself if it’s too windy to jump (looks at her coach away in the stand to tell her when to jump between gusts).

grump

MSP

Froome, took British money to develop his talent, then pissed off to tax exile in Monaco when he should have been paying back into the system (along with every other sportsman who does the same).

mashr

Is anyone who sits down for a living (drivers) really an athlete?!

Don’t ever watch the papalympics, you’ll have a meltdown!

13thfloormonk

I don’t know why it is that I like some unstoppable winners (e.g. Sagan in his prime) but not others (especially when they’re reputed to be super nice guys) but for some reason I’ve not warmed to Mathieu van der Poel. I think he is the definition of ‘playstation cycling’ as he just wins by being soooo much better than everyone else, which seems weirdly unsportsmanlink 😆

Which is why I much prefer Wout van Aert who seems to play by the rules a bit more, loved his (almost) Strade Bianchi comeback when he just time trialled up to the two leaders then steam trained past them (only to be quickly caught and relegated to third) but also felt genuinely delighted at his sprint win in CdD.

Also: Have I missed something?? How have we got this far into the thread without anyone mentioned Sergio Ramos?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t ever watch the papalympics, you’ll have a meltdown!

Yeah, that mobility scooter racing really get’s on my tits.

Dickyboy

along with every other sportsman who does the same

+1 Very much this, Lewis moaning about Stevenage and then off shoring his private jet purchase

spursn17
    Free Member

Sol Campbell

Two faced weasel, I don’t think that there’s a Spurs fan that doesn’t detest him.
    I so hope we draw Macclesfield in a cup competition!

BadlyWiredDog

he’s always told his kids that when they look for role-models, that professional sportsmen and sportswomen are amongst the last groups to which they should look, because they’re nearly all arseholes anyway.

I’ve always been bemused that athletes are ‘supposed’ to be role models. These are men and women who are paid – often – lots of money for essentially useless skills like being able to ride a bicycle very fast, kick a ball very hard, jump very high etc. Why on earth have we created a culture which also expects them to be articulate, intelligent, morally upright, inspirational etc?

Even if you do have a ‘right’ to ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ someone you don’t even know, you should maybe question where that tendency takes you in the light of the villification of, say, Raheem Sterling in the media or the borderline racism directed at Tyson Fury or numerous others. They’re just people displaying the full range of character traits that people have. Some of them less obviously sympathetic than others. Turning them into cartoon cutout objects of derision or adoration may be understandable, but the process is arguably a pretty negative one for us as a society. Hello tabloid culture.

In really simple terms we’re teaching young people that it’s acceptable and normal to dislike – and often ‘hate’ – people we don’t really know on the basis of superficial appearances and behaviour.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t deplore unpleasant actions – someone like Joey Barton appears to be a violent thug for example, but you could even argue that he’s partly the product of mixing someone with what appear to be mental health issues, with a culture of sports celebrity that prizes athletic ability over all else.

So no, I don’t dislike athletes. It seems like a borderline ridiculous thing to do and one that says more about us and our culture than about them.

DrJ

I was going to add a comment on what a load of judgemental cockwombles you are claiming to know enough about a person who has worked hard to become outstanding in their chosen field of endeavour.

But…

Yeah, Lewis Hamilton
    and Serena Williams
    and basically any Liverpool player ever.

I was all set to dislike Tom Dumoulin on account of his being Dutch, but he seems like a decent guy.

Always kind of liked Peter Sagan, though. Plus he did a great astronomy series.

kilo

Froome, took British money to develop his talent, then pissed off to tax exile in Monaco

When did he take British money then to develop his talents? He raced as an amateur for Kenya and then turned pro

ocrider

So in summary, the over entitled, tax exiles and footballers?
    Sounds about right.
    What’s gets my goat more than anything is that these arses are earning shedloads of money and not paying taxes whilst living the best life, doing what they have always wanted to do.

And I’m not!

andytherocketeer

goes in phases, but many that I’d have wanted to win in the past, I’d actively unsupport now for being childish and unsportsmanlike.

Vettel’s the new top of the list, but I was glad he beat Alonso, just like Alonso beat Schumacher

Schumacher was on the list for being a sore loser, but got the benefit of the doubt after such life changing injuries

Always “never liked” Pete Sampras for some reason

Sharapova never liked and then she gave good reason

Liverpool and Spurs – well I totally loathe football anyway, but those are the ones where friends go on and on and on and on and ariston about those teams, when they don’t come from either the North West nor London, but do call them “we”.  So I happily cheer when they lose.

Tiger Woods definitely on the list, but it’s hard to tell how much was due to prescription drug addiction and the US healthcare system where money buys whatever you want, and your doc pockets a commission for complying with your request to overrule their medical expertise.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Armstrong … utter T**T

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Athletes you don’t like’ is closed to new replies.