Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Athletes you don’t like
  • SaxonRider

Name an athlete you don’t like, no matter how good s/he is, and give your reasons.

Please don’t choose anyone who has been disgraced (e.g. Lance Armstrong). We all know he, and other disgraced athletes are twonks. Stick with someone current or retired who remains in good standing with their sport.

For me, it’s got to be Fernando Alonso. I just read that he won LeMans (or something), and I am sure he is an incredible driver. But man, oh man, can that guy whinge!

I can probably think of others, but I think that Alonso takes the cake for me.

pondo

Nigel Mansell. Ronaldo.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Never understood him, don’t like his links to the whole drug scandals that have been mooted, never warmed to him… MoBot?

Whateva.

loddrik
    Free Member

Lewis Hamilton. Can’t listen to that stupid accent.

Any rugby players or cricketers. Because rugby and cricket are both total shite. Rugby in particular is played by toffs or wools.

sarawak
    Free Member

2nd Mo Farah. For so many reasons.
    Andy Murray. Cry baby mummy’s boy.
    Ben Stokes. A drunken thug who got away with it.

handybar
    Free Member

I don’t particularly like/trust ultra-competitive people, so I suppose most athletes would fall into that bracket. I think cheating is endemic across professional sports.
    The same goes for most of the people we are told to admire – “great” entrepreneurs, great politicians etc – I prefer the little people, the last shall be first etc.
    But I retain a particular animus for bully boys like Boycott, and flash harrys like Lewis Hamilton.
    I’d share a beer with Valentino Rossi and Freddie Flintoff.

neila

^^ totally get that, cant stand him.

Kelly Holmes, one decent season of running and get made a Dame.

Lewis Hamilton.

onehundredthidiot

Itoje he is definitely a monster and very good at his job. Probably a world leader.
    And as such I just don’t get why he has to be such a dick, it’s the cheating I just don’t get, mind you you could apply that to all professional sports people.

136stu
    Free Member

+1 for Andy Murray, makes Morrisey seem vibrant and don’t get me started on the Uruguay thing.

racefaceec90

muhammed ali i would have to say as one choice.

no doubt he was a great boxer but watching a doc where joe frazier was talking about how ali would constantly berate him before the fight (calling him an uncle tom amongst other things as well as insulting joe’s wife) definitely cooled some respect for the man.

i can definitely think of other choices eg thuggish footballers,cheats e.t.c

orangespyderman

Tahnee Seagrave. She’s loads better than I’ll ever be, but a couple of years back every interview seemed to have various shades of whinging about how “winny” Rachel Atherton was and how it was all so unfair on Tahnee or something.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Athlete’s Foot. Never met in person, I’ve heard he’s a fun guy in an infectious sort of way, but doesn’t seem likeable and he has a tinea pedis.

transporter13
    Free Member

Tyson fury
    Sure.. He can move but the man is a walking contradiction. Can’t warm to him and just hear lies every time he speaks.

vongassit
    Free Member

Marc Marquez , unbelievably talented.

Why? 2015.

tails
    Free Member

Paul Pogba, only tries when he’s winning. If I were one of these billionaire owners I’d make his every waking moment a misery until he did what he’s paid to do. Every miserable F1 driver, non of them seem to want to speak to one another.

tomhoward

Eddie Irvine “I was a better driver than Schumacher, he was just better at setting up the car”.

Aye, right.

Joey Barton.

Pyro

Peter Sagan.

Great rider, great bike handler, probably the best all-rounder at this moment in time. Still manages to come across as an arrogant little snotbag.

RustySpanner

Schumacher – cheat.
    Alonso – see above.
    Will Carling – unbearably smug.
    Chris Sutton – have you heard 606 recently? He’s more annoying than Robbie Savage.

Mansell, Hamilton, Mo and Murray seem like basically good eggs.

kilo

Pheidippides, alright mate you ran a marathon, let it go.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Not really an athlete but Ronnie O Sullivan.  He never seems to get beaten by a better player, he’s just playing badly that day.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Federer, same reason as Ronnie above, and the white pimp suit.

MrPottatoHead

Denise Lewis. It’s like BBC just gave her a platform to talk about endlessly about herself 😴.

Years ago would have said Cav but have warmed to him a lot as he’s got older. It’s hard to judge young athletes as it seems to take them a while to find themselves-much like anyone else, just more in view.

chakaping
    Free Member

Everything about Hamilton’s public image makes me prepared to dislike him, but he actually seems like a decent guy.

Totally agree Sagan comes across a bit arrogant, but he also comes over totally authentic to himself and he doesn’t make excuses when he’s just not strong enough (I know he used to moan about being marked out of races, but it was true!). Usually I don’t like to see dominant riders keep winning, but don’t mind with Sagan as he’s such a force of nature.

Taking the thread title literally, I don’t like Froome, but I don’t really dislike him either.

Tahnee Seagrave. She’s loads better than I’ll ever be, but a couple of years back every interview seemed to have various shades of whinging about how “winny” Rachel Atherton was and how it was all so unfair on Tahnee or something.

Understandable – and I know others feel the same. Personally I struggle to warm to Rachel and feel she masks her ruthless competitiveness behind a facade of supportiveness for the other girls. I prefer Tahnee’s riding style too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Years ago would have said Cav but have warmed to him a lot as he’s got older.

Ditto, respect him for being an open book (albeit one about anger management) and enjoy listening to his analysis of racing. Hope he goes into DSing or punditry. He;d be cycling’s version of McEnroe.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Kelly Holmes, one decent season of running and get made a Dame.

I would have thought that two Olympic gold medals was a bit more than one decent season of running but if that’s not enough for you have a look below .

Competition record
    Year Competition Venue Position Event Notes
    Representing Great Britain and England
    1993 World Championships Stuttgart, Germany 5th (sf) 800m 1:58.64
    1994 Commonwealth Games Victoria, British Columbia, Canada 1st 1500m 4:08.86
    European Championships Helsinki, Finland 2nd 1500m 4:19.30
    IAAF World Cup London, England 3rd 1500m 4:10.81
    European Cup Birmingham, England 2nd 1500m 4:06.48
    1995 World Championships Gothenburg, Sweden 3rd 800m 1:56.95
    2nd 1500m 4:03.04
    European Cup Villeneuve-d’Ascq, France 1st 1500m 4:07.02
    1996 European Cup Madrid, Spain 2nd 800m 1:58.20
    Olympic Games Atlanta, Georgia, United States 4th 800m 1:58.81
    11th 1500m 4:07.46
    1997 European Cup Munich, Germany 1st 1500m 4:04.79
    1998 Commonwealth Games Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2nd 1500m 4:06.10
    1999 World Championships Seville, Spain 4th (sf) 800m 2:00.77
    2000 Summer Olympics Sydney, Australia 3rd 800m 1:56.80
    7th 1500m 4:08.02
    2001 World Championships Edmonton, Canada 6th 800m 1:59.76
    2002 European Championships Munich, Germany 3rd 800m 1:59.83
    11th (h) 1500m 4:08.11
    Commonwealth Games Manchester, England 1st 1500m 4:05.99
    2003 World Championships Paris, France 2nd 800m 2:00.18
    World Indoor Championships Birmingham, England 2nd 1500m 4:02.66
    IAAF World Athletics Final Monte Carlo, Monaco 2nd 800m 1:59.92
    2004 Summer Olympics Athens, Greece 1st 800m 1:56.38
    1st 1500m 3:57.90
    IAAF World Athletics Final Monte Carlo, Monaco 1st 1500m 4:04.55

robowns
    Free Member

Andy Murray
    I’m a fan Ronnie O’Sullivan, loved that 146 two fingers up (albeit appreciate if others don’t given it was him saying the prize money was nothing).

handybar
    Free Member

Chris Sutton like Robbie Savage have been bought in by FiveLive to feed the ratings – the Jeremy Kyle idea that you need conflict to garner interest in a information overload world.
    It’s a great shame as I used to love FiveLive, now it is like listening to a group of obnoxious idiots in a pub spending more time point scoring than developing an interesting discussion. The same goes increasingly for Waddle I’m afraid, who was a very under-rated player, but seems to have developed an anger problem.

chakaping
    Free Member

And I have disliked Richie Porte since he took Dan Martin out of the GC running in the Tour the other year.

Yeah I know anyone could crash, but it wasn’t a surprise it was him – was it?

Spin
    Free Member

Pheidippides, alright mate you ran a marathon, let it go.

He paid for it though.

Kryton57

Iwan Thomas.  Never a great but ” …look at me I’m on Tv… again.”

tails
    Free Member

Chris Sutton is a great shout, not a huge fan of lawreson just seems knackered all the time.

Spin
    Free Member

I admire Wiggo’s achievements but he is a bit of a fud isn’t he?

Spin
    Free Member

Brian Moore.

sadexpunk

gary lineker
    mark lawrenson

cocks.

slowoldman

I don’t know any athletes well enough to actually dislike them.

handybar
    Free Member

You can generally dislike humanity without having met every person that’s ever lived too.

MrPottatoHead

Athlete’s Foot. Never met in person, I’ve heard he’s a fun guy in an infectious sort of way, but doesn’t seem likeable and he has a tinea pedis.

👏 This did not go unnoticed!!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I don’t know any athletes well enough to actually dislike them.

what you doing in the thread caller?

Serena Williams
    Pepe
    Lewis Hamilton
    Nairo Quintana

llama

Seb Coe

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Not sure if id say lewis hamilton is an athlete. In fact.. hes definitely not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Athletes you don’t like’ is closed to new replies.