Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Athletes you don’t like
  • Klunk
    Free Member

these sort of threads are only good for seeing who’s a sensitive soul when it comes to their “heroes”.

anagallis_arvensis

Cav, can’t bear to watch his attitude in interviews.

Whereas I like him, says what he thinks and is honest.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Surprised at all the dislike if Andy Murray. Alright, he does not interview well but in the more candid things I’ve seen of him he comes across well.

This. Comes across as somewhat petulant when playing. But in non-tennis interviews seems very different.

Paula Radcliffe back in the day as well, not sure I trust her anti PED stance.

And this – never looked to me like she was playing with a full deck.

oikeith

Tyson fury
    Sure.. He can move but the man is a walking contradiction. Can’t warm to him and just hear lies every time he speaks.

I didnt like Fury from his antics at the earlier press conferences, since his return after his spell away am warming to him a lot more

cyclelife
    Free Member

Rachel and Gee – particularly Gee, total arsehole, unfriendly totally up himself. My lad raced the UK circuit with them 15+ year ago they never spoke to anyone outside their clique. Conversely Peaty, Beaumont and Warner were all approachable and helpful.

piha
    Free Member

Jocky Wilson.

Bags and bags of talent but never really reached his full potential. Not quite the role model he should have been to the community that loved him and deserved so much more. So much unfulfilled potential.

Jocky was no Bobby George.

bombjack
    Free Member

Mo – Something has never been quite right about him, I understand the drive to win, but he almost comes across like Armstrong did before he fell from grace.
    Andy Murray – Moany, grumpy, miserable tennisista.
    Owen Farrell – Cheap shots, argues with the ref, needs to get put back in his box.

mrmoofo

Sports people inhabit a very rarified world , where they can be selfsh / arrogant / knobs … but they are judged in their performance. Hence they are not good role models.
    I am surprised by the amout of dissing Murray gets … I thibnk he is just very honest about things. He’s not brash, or cocky …

However
    Victoria Pendelton … my god, that woman can moan about everything. Hey, girl, if you don’t like doing it, don’t do it. Please.
    Tyson Fury … just an oaf
    Vettel – comes over in the Pendelson school of whin-o-nomics
    Someoen mentioned Sol Campbell … TBH, I think his self infatuation is funny rather than to be hated.
    Diego Maradona
    Zlatan Ibrahimovich ….

ratherbeintobago

Ohuruogu (who I appreciate may fall foul of the ‘no-dopers’ rule on this thread, but she didn’t get done for doping, only for missing tests).

There’s a picture of her up in the school gym where #1 spawn plays netball, which annoys me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just watched an interview with Andy Murray on BBC news talking about how miserable his hip injury made him. He actually comes across relatively cheery so maybe he should he given a second chance.

mooman
    Free Member

An athlete I don’t like – not to be mixed up with an athlete I dislike:

Geraint Thomas. He is not an athlete I like; he comes across as a total fake. He has had a very privileged life from a very young age and aside from the PR stuff following his TDF success last year, he has not wanted to put anything back into the sport that gave him so much … even blatantly saying his move to Monaco was to avoid paying tax; even though taxes of others had contributed significantly to enabling him the privilege of being a well paid amateur until his multi million pound salary with Team Sky was made.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Farah.

Just a nob.

andrewreay

John Terry, Frank Lampard, Stevie G.

Not so much dislike them, as the ‘values’ that they espouse and those that venerate them.

Knobbing your best mate’s wife, retrospectively re-interpreting racist comments and thuggery.

But it’s all ok because they are loyal to their clubs.

I watched them play football, but just couldn’t understand the adoration of them in the non-sporting arena.

CountZero

+2 grown ups going on about people they don’t know and have probably never even met. Discussing how dislikable they are often for the most trivial of reasons

Dunno about athletes, the only ones I’ve ever met were the U.K. mountain biking team who went to Vail in 1994, including Peat and Warner, who were a load of laughs, but there are a bunch of people on here who seem to be showing a decidedly less pleasant side of their personalities. 🙄
    I’m sure the same can be said of musicians, but I’ve met a fair few over the years, and I’ve yet to meet one who I didn’t like. Basing an opinion on brief appearances on telly is small-minded and petty.

felixm
    Free Member

Bobby Robson

senorj

Diego maradonna(sic)Cheating scoundrel!
    Zola budd, got me’nana’s hopes up for nowt!
    & I don’t dislike Chris Sutton but find him amusing, like a real Alan Partridge.

northernsoul

Any who are bad losers (Serena), waste their talent (Kyrgios), unsportsmanlike (Neymar + n, where n is a large number of other footballers who seem over-prone to experiencing crippling pain from the merest of touches).

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t like Sagan’s moustache.

boomerlives
    Free Member

George Best. A man who pissed away what talent he had and was lauded for drinking himself to death like he was a victim of an injustice.

Ryan Giggs (who is unlikely to be on a list of fine human beings) is an example of a sportsman who kept himself in good shape and kept his career going longer than almost anyone else through care and discipline. Best would rather give in to his needs at the expense of his family and career but they still named an airport after him. Which shows how few heroes NI has

Georgey boy just let himself go and was considered a ‘character’ instead of a loser.

He died on the same day as Richard Burns and dominated the news; whereas the young man, World Champion no less, struck down by brain cancer didn’t really get a mention.

Because he wasn’t a pisspot ex-ballkicker.

handybar
    Free Member

My cousin used to play for a well known professional football club, sometimes I’d sit in the players family area, and I was amazed at the arrogance of the majority of the players. It seems endemic in football now – but I think pro sports have always attracted very competitive sorts and that lends itself easily to arrogance.
    I don’t have much time for Michael Vaughn – a good batsman, an ok captain, but ultimately someone who is trading on his luck (Glenn McGrath doing his ankle) and who no rivals Boycott in know-it-all-ism on the radio.
    As a child I was once told off by Ray Reardon for dropping litter at a snooker exhibition, even though it accidentally fell out of my pocket, so he’s on the list too, along with Robbie Savage, Ryan Giggs, Gareth Bale, Mark Williams, Dai Greene, Iwan Thomas, Ian Woosnam, and Vinnie Jones (well at least a quarter of him).

boomerlives
    Free Member

Mark Williams

Surely not, he was great in the Fast Show

williams

Spin
    Free Member

Best would rather give in to his needs at the expense of his family and career

I don’t think you understand the nature of addiction.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Not sure if piha is serious or not….Jocky Wilson……athlete 😲😂

chakaping
    Free Member

George Best. A man who pissed away what talent he had and was lauded for drinking himself to death like he was a victim of an injustice.

Your username seems unfamiliar so I assume you’re one of the site’s trolls with a new account, but anyway – I sincerely hope you never have to deal with alcoholism in a close friend or family member.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

The camaroon women football team. Not sure when elbows was a legitimate football move but clearly a tactic they had possibly been working on ( alongside the lets down tools and have a conflab in the centre circle)

boomerlives
    Free Member

I sincerely hope you never have to deal with alcoholism in a close friend or family member.

There are many methods of dealing with addiction that have a good record of success and are widely available.

Just indulging the addict’s behaviour and chuckling at their antics is not considered the most effective.

As you would know as one of the site’s experts.

trumpton
    Free Member

The womens Cameroon footballs team ( including manager ). Really bad behaviour last night. Spitting at an England player, elbowing an England player in the face, refusing to play for 5 mins after a VAR decision went against them, stamping on a players leg, the shouting loads of abuse at her close up, while the England player laid in bad pain, and a manager who shouted at the referees assistant. Awful carry on.

Wookster

I could see how the Athertons could be aloof alright (as per a previous post) I watched a good interview with Rachel Atherton saying how she’s not friends with any of the competitors ie Seageave who lives trains reasonably locally to her as she’s too competitive to be “Friends”

Hamilton I find very unlikeable, I don’t doubt the Skill and fitness required to race but it’s more about the car than the slightest difference in skill it’s hardly one design racing.

John Terry, Lampard, Woodgate etc etc seem to be total gits.
    Macilroy, Woods I’m taring with the same git brush!

No doubting their talents but in The end of the day “No more Hero’s!” You don’t need to like a person to appreciate what they can do.

gobuchul
    Free Member

they still named an airport after him. Which shows how few heroes NI has

What?

Edit – Just re-read your post and your talking about Best not Giggs!

njee20
    Free Member

Becky Addlington, since I heard her saying that people needed to better acknowledge her results (she’d just come 2nd IIRC) because swimming was harder than every other sport.

kilo

Becky Addlington, since I heard her saying that people needed to better acknowledge her results (she’d just come 2nd IIRC) because swimming was harder than every other sport.

Is that why she moved onto ski jumping?

tjagain

Owen Farrell? Overrated petulant thug
    Liam Williams? ( Actually I cannot really make my mind up) Great player, never gives up, never drifts away in games petulant numpty with a face you would never tire of slapping :-).

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Athletes you don’t like’ is closed to new replies.