Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Armstrong’s in trouble
  • clubber
    Free Member

No he’s not – sensationist journalism if you read the whole story (assuming that Armstrong’s response is true)

“In addition, the form asked the tester to state if there were any irregularities or further observations from the testing process and to that he wrote ‘no’.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah i know, must be very frustrating for him. tested 24 times!!

mikey74
    Free Member

Once again people over react: All Armstrong did was get suspiscious when a guy, with dubious credentials turned up on his doorstep when he had just got back from a training ride. Johan Bruyneel stayed with the guy and phoned the doping agency while Lance went in to shower . Once they confirmed his identity, he cooperated fully.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/armstrong-explains-behaviour-during-24th-dope-test-21150

woody2000

The simple fact is, a LOT of people want him to be guilty – not least the “French”, so any irregularities however trivial are seen as some kind of evidence that he’s doping. Sensationalist journalism at it’s very best (worst?). I hope he rides & wins 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

He’s still my hero 😈

Off to womanise some more now…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surely the 24 times relates to testing outwith competitive events??

scaredypants

was a bit daft to disappear into the shower while waiting – fuel to the fire (did he catheterise & shove in some clean urine etc etc ?)

then again, the tester could/should have insisted he wait in their presence if that’s what was required (and WADA/FLAPS/UCI/whoever should have more explicit policies)

llama

I say tie him up and chuck him in the pond. If he drowns he is innocent. If he survives he is a cheat.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

chucking him in a pond and seeing if he floats would probably not satisfy the French, they’d probably want something a little more extreme.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It all depends on whether you believe he is a drug cheat who has been eluding the authorities for years or a clean rider.

Myself I am convinced he is a cheat and I want to see him caught

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why are you convinced of that TJ

0091paddy
    Free Member

Some people need to read the correct story, I rarely ever read any articles about cycling on the BBC pages.

I also hear enough about Armstrong everywhere else. The public seem to think he is the only pro road cyclist ever born.

woody2000

If he’s been tested (unannounced) 24 times since the autumn, and been negative each time, then surely we have to believe he’s clean rather than just assuming he’s (and only him) found some new and amazing way of evading the tests, otherwise what’s the point? Just because he’s not liked doesn’t mean he’s a cheat, just means that he’s a tw*t 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Why are you convinced of that TJ

ONly my opinion remember 🙂

His previous team mates have been unmasked as cheats. Many folk in the balco scandal were frequently tested and not found out but later proven to be cheats, the retrospective testing of his urine ( 2 yr old sample) that was tested with tests that were not available when he gave the sample and found positive. His ability to beat the known cheats, his strange “medical” use of drugs after his cancer – drugs that are used to give a performance improvement but are very unusual to be used to treat cancer, his amazingly quick recovery from the cancer and many other suspicious things.

I don’t believe there has been a drug free winner of the tour of France ever

littleorangechunks
    Free Member

Just face it. He and Chris Hoy are the only cyclists the average UK based non enthusiast will have heard of. How many top US basketball players can the STW regulars name? Same thing really. If Michael Johnson came back he’d be in the news.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I love riding my road bike but it’s this kind of nonsense that makes me steer clear of the scene entirely. Personally I hope he’s innocent since I don’t want the same level of finger-pointing hitting the MTB scene that Lance is now part of. Perhaps he did that to escape the finger-pointers

littleorangechunks
    Free Member

stilltortoise… are you thinking dopers don’t exist in MTB racing?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In the downhill scene that I follow it either doesn’t exist or is considerably better hidden than in road riding

littleorangechunks
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

👿 BURN THE DOWNHILLERS!!! 👿

MrAgreeable

I love that NZ website. This bit reminded me of The Fast Show’s Australian natural history programme sketch:

Recent research has isolated a gene (the dopamine d4 gene) that may be responsible for this risk taking tendency. So far this is only in rats, but hey, what’s the difference?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I suspect not many of the drugs being taken are performance-enhancing… 🙂

llama

he he

colnagokid

Them crazy downhillists!
    Im pretty sure Lance is clean NOW
    Im pretty sure Lance was doped up the eye-balls before he retired
    I dont think his comeback is good for the sport either

pullfaces
    Free Member

Lance was and probably still is responsible for more high end bikes being sold in America than all other cyclists put together.
    That’s a lot of money going into cycling. Money in cycling and awareness of cyclists, to me, is a good thing. Hence Lance is, in my onpinion, a good thing.
    More money for more investment for better, more efficient products.
    Cycling doesn’t need Lance, but it’s a lot more comfortable of with him.
    I don’t believe he took drugs because I believe in innocent until proven guilty. And also I don’t think he needed them because he was so far ahead in training techniques & methods plus all other aspects. I don’t think many pros are even where he was ten years ago.
    He has many people beaten psychologically before the start of a race.
    But if he did take take drugs, then indirectly those drugs are responsible for bringing millions of dollars into my sport and I for one wouldn’t run off and join a monastry if that were true.
    “Winners do do drugs!”
    There’s do do in the middle of that phrase. 😆
    But perhaps some of you think to err is human, to forgive is not Company Policy.

pullfaces
    Free Member

Perhaps Lance has a Bontrager Whizzinator.
    High Times advice for an interview

RudeBoy
    Free Member

How many top US basketball players can the STW regulars name?

Shaquil O’Neil; Larry Bird, Dennis Rodman, Nike Air Jordan, Harlem Globetrotters, Woody Harelson, erm…

davidpurvis
    Free Member

“How many top US basketball players can the STW regulars name? Same thing really. If Michael Johnson came back he’d be in the news”

Yes he would, but not as a basetball player. Michael Johnson was a 200/400m runner. Michael JORDAN however…..

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Armstrong can’t win with some of you as he can’t prove a negative- all he can do is continue to be tested and continue to be found clean.

Until there is proof otherwise I prefer to think of him as a talented athlete who simply trained better and harder than his rivals. He also concentrated on the one race. Maybe if Ullrich had been out training on alpine climbs in the early spring like Armstrong instead of getting pied up he might have given Lance more competition.

sq225917
    Free Member

I’d prefer to think of him as a talented athlete as well but unfortunately i think he’s a f_cking cheat.

littleorangechunks
    Free Member

Yes he would, but not as a basetball player. Michael Johnson was a 200/400m runner. Michael JORDAN however…..

There you go. I didn’t even know the name of the most famous one 😉

Rip
    Free Member

I don’t believe there has been a drug free winner of the tour of France ever

Except Floyd.

Count
    Free Member

I follow Lance on Twitter, he usually posts links to these stories himself – he knows the French are out for him and goads them a fair bit.

I can’t see he was clean given the way the sport was during his wins. The prospect of him nipping to the shower and using a catheter to introduce a supply of “clean” urine to his bladder is not a pretty thought but I am sure there are plenty of riders who have done just that and think nothing of it.

Shame if he does use drugs but really, given the whole field are the probably the same, it means his achievement is still the same really.

feenster
    Free Member

his amazingly quick recovery from the cancer and many other suspicious things.

TJ, are you hinting that his cancer was a big ruse to let him take drugs?

sq225917
    Free Member

catheter – introduce – bladder.

for f_ck sake tell me no one wants to win that much.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Feenster – no – his cancer was real. What I am suggesting is he used the cancer treatment as a means of using performance enhancing drugs. I cannot remember all the details but IIRC there was stuff he was taking supposedly as cancer treatment so he got an exemption certificate for that is unusual to use in cancer treatment but is performance enhancing.

As for the self catheterising to introduce clean urine – a very common way to elude urine tests.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – you dont half talk a right load of crap.

AndyP
    Free Member

Shame if he does use drugs but really, given the whole field are the probably the same, it means his achievement is still the same really.
    aye, that’s about it. Yes, a cheat, but a highly talented cheat. And for 3 weeks in July for consecutive 7 years, faster than any other cheat. No mean feat. I think it’s the evangelistic attitude that many have towards him being the single remaining bastion of truth and justice in sport is the problem, rather than the man himself…

uplink
    Free Member

Smee – Member

321 you’re back in the room

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Armstrong’s in trouble’ is closed to new replies.