Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Speeder

How long does that make the back end? It’s starting to sound like my Keewee ;o) though even that is getting a bit short and steep these days.

honourablegeorge

Brilliant. They looked at the Geometron and decided to make it longer.

Keep looking at the Geometron frame/fork package as my route to 650b – have a 26″ Ion 16 that I love…..slightly worries that the Geometron would rob me of some of the regular bike’s versatility. But it interests me more than pretty much any other frame out there right now… probably come down to a decision between the Geometron and standard Ion 16 27.5 in the end (when I eventually have the money…. always the fatal flaw)

thepodge
    Free Member

Chainline – This setup allows you to set the bike up for either the alps or uplifted trips but then easily return it to being a normal everyday trail bike.

I’m a big fan of this bike but cant help feeling that its all a bit Bugatti Vayron when all a lot of us really need is a pimped out Vauxhall Corsa.

I’ve only taken the Geometron for a spin round a dark carpark but I’m not sure it could ever be called a “normal everyday trail bike” despite being normal than people think.

As mentioned above, as much as I like it, its well out of my price / skill range so I’m continuing my experiments with a long(ish) 130mm rear 65 HA 29er.

Wookster

I get the same impression the podge, it seems to be designed to be ridden really fast and hard, and I wonder if for the average ( or sub average in my case!) MTBer it wouldn’t be ridden at the level were its advantages would come to the forefront.

Chainline
    Free Member

I can only say thePodge/Wookseter that your concern is not echoed by most users. Many of whom have ditched their second bike to just use the GeoMetron as an all rounder. It truly is, in my opinion of course. Most of the Demo’s I have done have been on mixed terrain like at Cannock chase to demonstrate that point as the majority of people don’t want as single purpose bike.

It’s advantages come to the forefront whatever level you are. A point noted by one chap the other day I was riding with who said it was a bike that would really flatter a lesser rider as well as allow a fast rider to go faster. Basically it’s incredibly forgiving at the limit, who’s ever limit that is.

I am anything but a fast/good rider I assure you, but I like to push my limit without thinking that If I go too far I’ll get bitten.

One thing thepodge is that a carpark test definitely doesn’t do it justice for feel, the dynamic ride is very important.

Overall it just so happens that you can ride it really hard and fast if you are that kind of rider but I don’t think it feels dead at slower speeds. Everyone is different though, hence the need to test it,

The standard bike is lively and playful and I feel pretty neutral handling.The head angle is much more for the feel of the steering and cornering not for stability, which I think many get hung up on.

The modified bike I rode, yes, its definitely for bigger stuff. The longer swingarm also makes it feel slightly different, but I’m confident when we put the short shock back in (Chris was riding a bike like this over the winter) it returns to feeling like the std bike.

Honorablegeorge, the ‘they’ was me….I asked for it, with a view to a dual purpose bike. I’m not getting any younger and do like to get out to the alps and places like that. A week of trail bashing is a little easier with a bit more travel…but I did not want to be restricted to that. So we talked about how we could get both worlds with minimum work in the same bike. The answer is a slightly longer swingarm (5mm) to allow the longer shock length, longer travel, but maintain all of the same geometry e.g. BB height, HA/SA etc.

I suspect, given the way things have progressed over the last year that there won’t be a standard Ion in the future unless you order it especially; after riding the GeoMetron, all of the staff are riding various incarnations of other bikes, with different travel etc but using GeoMetron geometry principles…and I think the vast majority of sales have switched to the Geometron incarnation….

It’s also possible to just buy the additional swingarm and swop between longer version and standard version. It isn’t a hugely difficult job, but I think Mojo will also offer it as a service. It’s a lot cheaper than having a spare downhill bike!

95% of my year I’ll be using the standard bike (all be it with a slacker HA as I like how it corners/steers)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Popped into Mojo lunctime to get some bushes, spotted this in reception, so **** cool.

|http://thumbsnap.com/YygsKqpo[/img]

honourablegeorge

Chainline – Member

Honorablegeorge, the ‘they’ was me….I asked for it, with a view to a dual purpose bike. I’m not getting any younger and do like to get out to the alps and places like that. A week of trail bashing is a little easier with a bit more travel…but I did not want to be restricted to that. So we talked about how we could get both worlds with minimum work in the same bike. The answer is a slightly longer swingarm (5mm) to allow the longer shock length, longer travel, but maintain all of the same geometry e.g. BB height, HA/SA etc.

I suspect, given the way things have progressed over the last year that there won’t be a standard Ion in the future unless you order it especially; after riding the GeoMetron, all of the staff are riding various incarnations of other bikes, with different travel etc but using GeoMetron geometry principles…and I think the vast majority of sales have switched to the Geometron incarnation..

Cool… just the idea of someone taking such a long bike and askign for it to be made longer tickled me.

Yeah – if I do take the plunge, it’ll be a case of phonign Mojo and getting their recommendations on sizing, and having a fork and frame/shock sent to me – not in the UK, so demo not really practical, and I’m unlikely to get much for my 26″ Ion frame/forks/wheels, so it’ll be an expensive upgrade…. I’ve always gone the trigger’s broom route in the past, bit by bit as opposed to the big hit all at once.

What you say is encouraging though – so many folks liking the bike makes me less wary of just going for it.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member
    Paul-j

I’ve had a geometron since early december, in longest.
    I’am 6’2 with orangutan arms so I’ve been told.
    Its set up with the 180 fork and x2. did the deal with the mavic xl wheels as well. Its the first new bit of kit in 13 years I’ve splashed out on, normally second hand buying all the way.

I bloody love this bike, I can quite happily go out and do a gentle flowy xc ride with the girlfriend. But then go and ride a trail center ie afan, FOD, Brecfa. the bike climbs like a bloody goat, it is the oddest sensation when your going up hill and the bike just cruises up slippy muddy rooty tracks. Its certainly a bike you winch your way up. No problems with this talk of being to long to get round corners etc. The other week i rode the trails at FOD, then put the full face on and did the uplift in the afternoon. Then the following week went and rode at revolution bike park with a DH team, scared the crap out of me. I couldn’t have asked for a different bike. Adjust a few settings on the shock and fork, away you go.

To be honest the bike makes you feel more confident, so hence I’m riding alot faster and smoother than I ever have. crashing more as well.

Also have to say I’m your average joe rider, full time job ride at the weekends when I can. Certainly not the best rider in my group of friends. Massively happy with the bike at the moment. But one of the main buying points was the backup from chris/mojo. They cant do enough to help, if thats before buying the bike or any small questions about setup after.

Love the idea that as chainline is doing you can play about with head angle, wheelbase in the future and not have to buy a new bike/frame.

Set it up for what ever riding you are doing and it will excel at any.

Chainline
    Free Member

Nice summary Paul, nail on head for me.

honourablegeorge

This isn’t helping. I’m at the “maybe if I sell the DH bike” stage right now. And I can do a cycle-to-work for the wheels and other bits. Meaning I only need to find about two grand.

thepodge
    Free Member

There is one in the classifieds at a reduced price

honourablegeorge

Yeah, it’s a “long” though, which is only about three feet longer than my current bike – I think for 6’1″ I’d need “longer” for full effect. 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

honourablegeorge mail me, email in profile…and you will want Longest at 6’1″…I may be able to help you…

honourablegeorge

Thanks CL, reply sent.

*stares in awe at 520 reach*

duir
    Free Member

I have a custom geometron that is a longest with a lower top tube and custom colours/decals. I am 6′ and it feels spot on so at 6’1 definitely longest.

I would agree the geometron excels when ridden on the limit but that’s a bit of a polarity because when on the limit it still feels totally stable and in control. However it’s also a bike I can jump on for a spin too on those not so pinned days. It really does feel like a normal long slack bike to me but it’s wierd how well it climbs which makes no sense on paper.

I am Lakes based and mainly ride big mountain days for which the geometron seems ideal.

Chainline
    Free Member

Glad you’re still liking it duir

Chainline
    Free Member

Nailed the setup on this now after some testing, absolutely loving it, so much confidence, pedalling a treat, feels lively and you can just push the front so hard without fear. Most surprising is how you can attack steep tight stuff.

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1444/25953993113_c5e614310b_b.jpg[/img]

Modified Mojo Nicolai GeoMetron Longest

honourablegeorge

That looks ace, CL

I owe you some measurements too, will get those this weekend, had a bloody mental week.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Chainline, what are the crucial numbers then?

Chainline
    Free Member

It has a lower TT/ST than previously. The revised Longer frame has a 450mm ST, the Longest a 470mm and a new XL model 490mm, the same as the previous Longest. The Long is unchanged.

This bike has a 450mm swingarm, to allow for a 222 x 70 shock. This allows me to run 175mm of travel at the rear with a nice curve.

the rear shock is tuned to replicate the feel of the 155mm bike in terms of pedalling and pop. It has been very successful and we can set it up easily to feel more like a DH rear or like the standard bike with much more pop and a livelier feel.

The fork is tuned to match the rear.

The swingarm allows this change without any changes to the overall geometry or BB height.

This bike is -1deg compared to standard

I am loving it, fantastic grip and confidence, turn is great, even on the brakes, the suspension matches superbly it’s just there and does its job.

Paul-j

Oh chainline, why did you have to post this!!

I’ve been wondering about a longer swingarm and a bit more slacker head angle after swinging a leg over the geometron DH bike.

Chainline
    Free Member

The option is there Paul J. You can order a frame set up like this.

There are various options to set the front up with different trail/HA combinations which change the feel.

I love the longer swingarm…

chiefgrooveguru

Geeky fact which may or may not be of interest, but if you draw a line through the pivot on the downtube and pivot between that link and the seatstay pivot by the shock, and then another line through the pivots at either end of the chainstay, the point where those two lines intersect is the virtual pivot point aka instant centre.

If you then draw a line between the rear tyre contact patch and the virtual pivot point, the steeper the angle of that line (vs the horizontal), the greater the brake anti-rise. The greater the brake anti-rise, the more the rear suspension stiffens when braking (but the less the bike rocks forwards under braking, so zero anti-rise isn’t necessarily ideal).

So a longer chainstay will give you more braking grip (as well that the other effects).

Chainline
    Free Member

I had to read that about 3 times 😉

chiefgrooveguru

It’s easier with a picture. 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OrxmEQK4g[/video]

Skip to the 1 minute mark on this.

That’s why single pivot bikes always have less active suspension under braking and also why short link four bar bikes (VPP, DW, KS, Maestro, Zero etc) tend to be more like single pivots than four bar in their braking behaviour.

Chainline
    Free Member

Linkage blogspot did a good analysis of the geometron characteristics recently. The std bike not this incarnation, but this I would expect since it was designed by someone with a very specific goal in mind in relation to the shock used, rather than compromising across shocks.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/nicolai-geometron-2016.html?m=1

sharkattack

This bloody thread just will not go away. I’ve just been sitting on the hardtail in the garage bemoaning my rigid rear end and wishing I could ride like a monster truck again.

And then this appears,

Chainline
    Free Member

sharkattack. Oh this can indeed be ridden like a precision monster truck 😆

Chainline
    Free Member

This is a good article on Mojo and the development of the GeoMetron, pretty interesting website too.

Mojo Nicolai Geometron

wrecker
    Free Member

Is this just an advert/marketing thread now?

Shandy
    Free Member

Is this just an advert/marketing thread now?

I suppose it is mainly of interest to people who own one, or are considering buying one, with the occasional person just objecting to the whole thing.

Chainline
    Free Member

Wrecker, No, I hope its a source of advice. I have been involved with some of the development aspects of the bike, ride both the GPI and standard versions, am and will continue to test new combinations of angles/setup and providing feedback to both Mojo and Nicolai on peoples experience.

It is a thread about this bike, it’s history and future I hope. As such articles written about that are hopefully of interest.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I have found it very interesting and informative. Not my cup of tea but I can still appreciate designs which are actually pushing something different and using real world feedback to develop a product even though a lot of people think it’s pretty out there.

scruff
    Free Member

It’s a great thread. I’m looking forward to more pics of the most extreme trail bike available atop Lower Cliff 😛

Chainline
    Free Member

Scruff, I can probably provide that. it’s still a close by trail centre I can take my girls to an ride with them that stands up to weather. I also know it quite well so it’s a good benchmark for testing, although I use FoD and Staunton for that a lot lately as you can get quite a lot of varied gnarr in for a short if steep pedal back up the hill and the surfaces are mostly natural.

Dave
    Free Member

This is a good article on Mojo and the development of the GeoMetron, pretty interesting website too.
    http://radventure.cc/mojo-nicolai-geometron/

Cheers Phil, we’re pleased with how it’s turned out

Chainline
    Free Member

Good review from Seb, sums up most owners views I think. I have a few things I’d add but nothing new there

jes
    Free Member

Finally frame ordered 🙂

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Finally frame ordered 😀

Well done!

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.