Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone recommend a petrol strimmer?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone recommend a petrol strimmer?
  • breninbeener

My gatden really needs the attwntion of a strimmer. My ryobi is completely worn out and so im looking for a replacement. The electrics ive tried have all been a bit feeble.

Anyone got a rec9mmendation for a decent machine?
    Thanks
    Ian

Blackflag
    Free Member

I have the base model Stihl. Had it for 3 years. Never misses a beat.

kiwijohn

Honda.

masterdabber
    Free Member

As alwaysI guess it depends on what you need it for and how much you want to pay.

I’ve got a Stihl FS90 with the Cowhorn bars.I use it in France and it gets quite heavy use when I’m there. I’ve had it a bit over 10 years and apart from a bit of home servicing I’ve never hd to do anything to it.

Stihl FS90

It just works.

cx_monkey

Stihl here too – FS-70 with the 2mix engine. It’s very good and don’t really need the extra power of the FS-90. BUT i went in to buy a Makita, and they were out of stock – apparently they are the new go to for anyone using them day in day out, and my trees surgeon friends are saying the same about their saws and lots are gradually switching from Stihl/Husky to Makita. Whatever you go for, I’d say definitely get the cow horn/bike handle type controls with a decent harness – the loop handle things will end up with you stuck twisted to one side and aching. Also get something that can take a brush cutter blade if you’ve got quite a lot of area to cover/ever encroaching brambles… Lots if chat about the battery powered stuff being actually quite good now too if you’re looking after a more well behaved, smaller garden.

Matthew
    Free Member

I’ve had a base Makita strimmer for the last 16 years and it’s worked perfectly

masterdabber
    Free Member

^^^^^    Yes, a decent harness is essential IMO

breninbeener

Thanks guys, lots to look at here. I was thinking more £200 than £400, but i dont want to buy something rubbish. The stihl 50 2t looks good.
    Although a makita cordless may open the door for new drill and impact driver if its the same battery system…im excited

cloudnine
    Free Member

Echo srm222 or Stihl equivalent like a fs70.

I have both as use the professionally. The echo is awesome for lightweight strimming and edges. The Stihl is heavier but has more grunt if you need to strim thicker grass or overgrown areas.

matt_outandabout

I have the base model Stihl. Had it for 3 years. Never misses a beat.

+2 years on you. 5+ years in and just fine – I have serviced it once.

nickjb
    Free Member

Although a makita cordless may open the door for new drill and impact driver if its the same battery system

Same batteries in the garden tools and drills etc. Some bigger tools use two (or they do a double sized battery). Worth looking into if it works for you. A little kinder to the environment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had a McCulloch one, 99 quid and lasted 7 years, all sorts but mainly brushcutting and trail clearance.

Now have a wee Aldi battery one for the grass in the garden, but I’ll buy another McCulloch soon for tougher stuff.

dallas95
    Free Member

I went with Makita cordless as I have their 18v power tools and they share the same batteries. I also got a hedge trimmer too. They seem underpowered but they can’t be as they get through the jobs easy enough. I think they are just quiet! Best thing is how manoeuvrable they are without a cable tangling around you and they are light too.

I have quite a few batteries and chargers so it’s a good system for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheap 2t one from B&Q. Depends how much you actually intend to use it. It’s fine for clearing a fairly large garden of waist high grass and weeds when we moved in and until we got the back under control.

It’s not quite as powerful as the big stihl ones we use for clearing the sailing club, but there’s brambles down there that will stall them! Basic strap/harness isn’t as comfortable either. But in terms of reliability I dunno how long a cheap 2t engine lasts, I suspect probably until I eventually get 2t and neat lawnmower petrol mixed up at some point!

windyg
    Free Member

I use a Stihl FS40 and a FS70, never failed me yet compared to other brands I have used, worse one being Ryobi.

For quick small gardens I have a 36v Black & Decker, head rotates for doing the edging and 2 battery will give me around an hours use maybe a bit more.

robertpb
    Free Member

We’ve gone through plenty on the farm over the years, best one so far is a Honda UMK 435 UE.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend a petrol strimmer?’ is closed to new replies.