Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Anyone moved from iPhone to Android and regretted it?
  • GrahamS

I would be impressed with this as when Apples own update rendered my iphone useless I got no help from them at Google fixed the problem.

I bricked an iPhone during an update, took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a brand new phone for free, despite mine being out of warranty.

Couldn’t be happier.

It’s only a matter of time, the iPhone user base is too tempting a target.

Agreed, something will sneak through eventually, but so far the count is nil.

Whereas on Android you have to stick to known vendors, with good reviews, only from the Android Marketplace, then review the permissions the app requests and decide if they sound okay or not (based on no useful information).

Just saying like. I do think Android has a lot going for it, and openness and reconfigurability is a big part of that, but xiphon’s assertion that being “open source” protects it from viruses is nonsense.

Anyway, that point is now made. I’m not here for a fanboi war.

puppypower
    Free Member

kayak, yeah you are right…to an extent. (but my husband works in mobile phone development and uses an android phone so I had had plenty of help setting up the phone and was somewhat acquainted with how to use it before I had it) I would’ve made more effort if I didn’t know I was going to get a new iphone too. But the iphone is more slick, no doubt about it. The android is more customisable and not tied to itunes. So swings and roundabouts, but although I read things like the above article about how good android is and think they have a point, in reality I just don’t want to spend ages customising my phone at the expense of having a slick interface that just works nicely out of the box. And in reality I think most non geeks are the same. And a lot of geeks too actually! I guess somewhere along the line I have become an apple fan boy 😉

GrahamS

Yeah, no exploits there, naturellement.

Yeah except within three days of that story they had ejected him from the Developer Program, fixed the bug and issued a patch that closes the exploit (iOS 5.0.1).

Cougar

I’m not here for a fanboi war.

Makes a change.

(-:

xiphon
    Free Member

open source (or ‘open platform’) != protected from viruses

(It’s just statistically, there are far fewer. You need to remember Windows has been on the desktop a long time for people to discover security holes. As Linux (Android) grows in popularity [on the handset], so the demand for malware to be written will too. )

Cougar

Absolutely.

Statistically, as a virus writer you’d reach more handsets targeting Symbian than Apple. Apple don’t have the dominant market share, not by a long way (it just feels like it).

sharkbait
    Free Member

Android apps can only access the services that you grant it access to, and it shows you this request before installation is allowed.

That’s OK for us grown-ups (?), but show that message to a kid with a phone and 95% of the time they’ll ignore it. My 11 yo daughter has an Android phone and she’s always installing new apps/games – I’ll put money on her not looking at any notifications while installing stuff.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Blimey- thanks for all of the responses.

Regarding gmail integration, I agree that it’s pretty great already, but a few simple things are missing like the ability to turn on/off my ‘out of office’. Also would be good if it changed signature depending on what email address I’m using, and some kind of google doc support would be ace (as we use this a lot at work).

In summary though sounds like it’s much of a muchness. Will see what Voda try and sell me, and go from there.

GrahamS

Statistically, as a virus writer you’d reach more handsets targeting Symbian than Apple. Apple don’t have the dominant market share, not by a long way (it just feels like it).

http://www.slashgear.com/comscore-android-and-ios-near-70-percent-of-us-smartphone-market-share-30175188/

peachos
    Free Member
    Cougar

Graham – that’s just the US, nicely cherry-picked.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d hazard that the vast majority of Android users couldn’t be arsed in the slightest in “customising” and “configuring” their phone.

Cougar

My 11 yo daughter has an Android phone

Your inability to police your 11yo daughter’s technology usage is not a failure of the OS. If you give her free reign of the market and (presumably by extension) the Internet then you’ve got more pressing issues than malware.

Let me put it another way. I’ve had a mobile phone for ten years. I’ve had Siemens, Nokia, Samsung, HTC, RIM handsets running Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and proprietary systems. I’d be hard pressed to name a friend or family member who doesn’t have a mobile phone. Additionally, I’m the go-to tech generally when anyone I’ve ever met ever has a problem with something with a plug on the end. And yet, I’ve never, ever come across a malware infection on a mobile device first-hand, or known anyone who’s had one.

Conclusion; so long as you don’t need protecting from yourself, it’s a non-issue trotted out by iPhone users whenever they need to justify their purchase (ie, constantly).

Cougar

I’d hazard that the vast majority of Android users couldn’t be arsed in the slightest in “customising” and “configuring” their phone.

I’d hazard that the vast majority of smartphone users don’t use their handsets to anything like their full potential, irrespective of platform.

Nontheless, many people do like to customise their phones. This thread from the forum for my old handset, the Desire, springs to mind as an example. 86 pages worth (and counting, and this is just one handset) of people customising their phone and showing off the results. It’s worth a look, some are pretty darn impressive.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you don’t mind, I really won’t be looking at a bunch of IT geeks’ efforts at customising their handsets. Because that forum will be more or less full of them., just as these threads get full of them too. My point is also aimed at iPhone users. Again the vast majority wouldn’t bother their arses customising them even if they could.

I’m sure I don’t use my phone to anywhere near its potential. I can’t be bothered. I’m too busy putting shit together during the day to be worrying about the customisability of my wireless communications device. I want something that works and that I don’t have to arse about with endlessly…like I did with my brief efforts with a Nokia N something or other (without doubt, the phone that most annoyed me. Ever.) and a Samsung fillet-o-shit. I’m sure a Desire S or a Samsung copy-the-market-leader would also work just fine.

I do think that you guys lose sight of the fact that most people don’t care. Their choices will come down to “How much do I have to pay up front, monthly, etc and do I like the look of it”.

poly
    Free Member

Advantages of Android:

– Not restricted to vetted Apps that meet the vagaries of Apple’s approval team
    – Apps can run in the background so you can log your cycle whilst emailing / texting etc.

Advantages of iPhone

– All Apps are vetted, so should “just work”
    – Apps don’t run in the backgrounds so don’t slow the device down.

Disadvantages of Android

– Perceived security risk
    – Its not as “cool” as an iPhone,

Disadvantages of iPhone

– No perceived security risk – so you are 100% reliant on Apple getting it right!
    – Cost

Yes, most of those seem to contradict each other.

From a user perspective though, iPhone is very slick/clean. However I personally find the navigation not as intuitive at Android. My colleague who started out on iPhone thought the opposite until his second day using an Android when he suddenly clicked and now prefers the nav on Android.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Got an iPhone 3g 8gb, been alright but slow as flink now.
    From playing about on friends phones was sold on a galaxy S2, the price on O2 (tied in as have broadband with them) was £100 on my contract a couple of weeks ago, went to order this week and found it’s gone up to £150, what?! Price of ALL hardware going up at the mo? Guessing they are made in Thailand. 🙁

rs
    Free Member

Apps can run in the background so you can log your cycle whilst emailing / texting etc.

You can do this on iPhone too.

I just went back to an iPhone after about 18 months with a Galaxy S, i’m happy to be away from android, things that sucked (won’t be the case with all android handsets i’m sure but enough to put me off another one) were terrible GPS performance which was a known issue with galaxy S. Slow apps, not written as well as equivalent iPhone apps. When switching to wifi at home, internet would often be really slow, slower than 3G. Lack of timely updates and likelihood of future updates. I’m sure there are more.

Things I miss, pull down for switching wifi on off. I liked the calendar widget but the new pull down in iOS5 has upcoming entries, it would be nice to be able to see them on the home screen though.

edit: lastly size, the galaxy S was about the right size, the top android handsets are just too big now and I really like the smaller size of the iphone.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A happy Android user here with absolutely no intention of customizing it, ever.

winrya
    Free Member

After having all 4 iPhones since they came out I decided to sell my iPhone 4, 4 weeks before the 4S was announced and I thought I’d give android a try as I’d been itching to have a go for a good while.

Initially I was really impressed with it. The difficulties I was having I initially put down to me not being used to using it. However, after 4 weeks I really disliked it and it felt like such a relief to go back to the iPhone os. Biggest problems for me was I found typing awful on it to the point I couldn’t be bothered to reply to text messages as it was so much hassle. The bottom row of the keyboard was just too close together and I ended up putting full stops instead of spaces, pressing the remove keyboard button and cancelling out of messages.

Other problem for me was internet browsing was just nowhere near as slick as the iPhone. Again, the result was me spending far more time on my laptop and getting frustrated with the phone.

I also found the battery to be awful but I suppose thats more down to the HTC than the OS?!

Back with the iPhone i love it more than i ever did before, more down to how thankful i am to not be using android software again. I know loads of people love it but it’s definitely not for me and will stick with what works for me in future.

Was nice to scratch the android itch though…

Cougar

If you don’t mind, I really won’t be looking

I don’t mind at all. Choice is good.

I do think that you guys lose sight of the fact that most people don’t care.

I made much that point right at the start of this thread. To wit,

There’s little between them functionality wise, on the whole. It really boils down to taste

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Glad you agree then.

(-:

poly
    Free Member

rs
    You can do this on iPhone too.

Oh sorry, I either picked a bad example or Apple are now allowing background Apps without letting me know! (unless you are referring to a jailbroken phone). Certainly the last iphone I used in anger required you to quit one app to use another.

Cougar

You can select, uh, four apps I think, to be background-able. They’re the ones that sit permanently at the bottom of the screen. If memory serves, it was one of the features of iOS4 (could be wrong though).

Android memory-manages properly and will terminate background apps “intelligently,” this slowing down you refer to is, well, fictional (it didn’t even do that on my Samsung Galaxy, and that was crap).

defydude
    Free Member

You can select, uh, four apps I think, to be background-able.

You sure about that?

Cougar

You sure about that?

Not even remotely. That was merely my understanding of how it worked. Does it not?

GrahamS

Graham – that’s just the US, nicely cherry-picked.

Not at all. Just the first result I found searching for “iOS Android market share”. Is Symbian better represented on the global marketshare?

Oh sorry, I either picked a bad example or Apple are now allowing background Apps without letting me know!

Yeah since iOS 4 came out (June 2010).

That was merely my understanding of how it worked. Does it not?

Nah the stuff at the bottom is just permanent shortcuts to apps.
    Any app can implement multitasking – it’s up to the developer,

GrahamS

Found figures for the Global Marketshare by the way Cougar:

“Google Android captured 48% of the smartphone market in Q2 of 2011… Apple also fared well, with iOS overtaking Nokia’s Symbian platform to rise from third to second place. A total of 20.3 million iPhones were shipped and Apple raked in a market share of 19%. Apple also became the world’s leading individual smartphone vendor, stripping Nokia of its long-held leadership position.”
    http://mashable.com/2011/08/02/android-market-share/

puppypower
    Free Member

You can’t properly run apps in the background on IoS, only very limited things (sending location & finishing downloads for 10 mins). According to geeky husband.

deadlydarcy, I totally agree with you. I can’t be bothered to massively customise my phone and I’m relatively technical. Am sure most other people can’t be bothered either.

GrahamS

You can’t properly run apps in the background on IoS, only very limited things (sending location & finishing downloads for 10 mins). According to geeky husband.

Yeah, “it’s not real multi-taskin” is a common retort from the Android crew*.
    I can run multiple GPS trackers, while listening to music and browsing Singletrack. I’m unsure why this isn’t “real” multi-tasking.

* (Especially if you point out that iOS multi-tasking isn’t the huge battery drain that Android is). 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Graham, do you work for Apple? You certainly spend a very large amount of your time defending/bigging them up…..

GrahamS

Graham, do you work for Apple? You certainly spend a very large amount of your time defending/bigging them up…..

Nope. I’ve said many times that I don’t even particularly like many Apple products. But I do like me iPhone and I defend it when folk talk rubbish about it.

No different from you popping up on a thread if someone said your favourite bike/coffee/wine/car whatever was crap, catches fire in 102% of use cases and also gives people “teh bad AIDS”.

Wait a bit and CountZero will be along with a halfpage of block text pro-Apple rhetoric. Now there is a fanboi. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like how Gee 2dapoweruv Ess can back his posts up with knowledge and facts, unlike some who are obsessed with such hatred that they go into involuntary Tourette’s over a product. But you wouldn’t know anything about that flashy.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Was thinking the same thing.
    How many shares in Apple do you own Graham?
    😉

puppypower
    Free Member

NOOO, I am not from the “android crew”. Quite the opposite. (I am from the knowing WTF I am talking about crew) But you can send your location so GPS will work. And you can listen to music. But for example, your e-mail does not and cannot run in the background. Which is annoying.

Here explains it.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/150488/2010/04/iphone4_features.html

It’s probably not entirely a bad thing. I am just saying though, YOU CAN’T PROPERLY RUN IOS APPS IN THE BACKGROUND. Which I almost but not entirely don’t care about. I love my iPhone that much.

GrahamS

But for example, your e-mail does not and cannot run in the background. Which is annoying.

Eh? In what way? 😕

I get a “ping” when a new email arrives and a notification appears on screen (regardless of what app I’m in). I can double-tap the Home button and switch back to my Email app or hit the notification and go directly to the message.

BigJohn

I recently chenged to an Orange branded Android phone – the San Fransisco. Dead cheap and very excellent.

But I won’t make any comparison. That would be like comparing apples and oranges…

puppypower
    Free Member

Graham, that must be via push notifications though rather than it actually running in the background and downloading your mail. Which means the e-mail provider has to have a server to send the notification to your phone. But you have made me realise that I can probably set my gmail up to do this (do you have gmail, as it doesn’t do this for me out of the box? See I told you I couldn’t be bothered to customise my phone)

puppypower
    Free Member

Awesome, I now have e-mail notifications working! Nice. Basically no need for “proper” background apps I don’t reckon.

CountZero

Wait a bit and CountZero will be along with a halfpage of block text pro-Apple rhetoric. Now there is a fanboi.

Not entirely sure wot ‘block text’ means, but I started using Apple computers as part of my job as a scanner operator/photoshop/Illustrator/Quark prepress operator in 1995. Back then all computers were beige boxes, only the OS made a difference, and the Mac OS made a whole world of difference to how I could do my job. I didn’t buy an iPod until the Video v.5 came out, and my first computer was a PowerBook I bought with redundancy money in 2003, because I loved the design and understood the OS. I hate Windows, find it utterly counter-intuitive, so I stick with what I understand. I’m an Apple ‘fan’ because Jony Ive is a master of industrial design; he instinctively understands ergonomics, allied with a clean, fuss-free appearance. That, more than anything, is what sells Apple stuff to me. It’s all about Ive’s work, not Jobs for me. The fact that I can have my iPod in a pocket and control it through the fabric via the click wheel is just perfect design. Sony used to have something like this, but lost it ages ago. As far as the iPhone’s concerned, sure it’s not entirely perfect, but it’s as close as for me, just for the GPS alone I’d be perfectly happy without all the other stuff that I use. It’s my most used camera as well. I hate having to phaff with stuff, Apple stuff just does what I want it to do, it’s beautifully designed and user friendly, and that is important too. No, I’ve not used Android stuff, see no reason to. I’ve used older phones that drove me nuts with their inability to do even simple things in a simple fashion, so finding something that I could use straight away without having to keep referring to a bloody manual, like my N95 was a huge relief. If finding something that does its job as well as an iPhone does and being enthusiastic about it makes me a ‘fanboi’ in the minds of one or two with contrary views, well, that’s their problem, not mine.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Anyone moved from iPhone to Android and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.