Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Anyone moved from iPhone to Android and regretted it?
  • rs
    Free Member

Graham, that must be via push notifications though rather than it actually running in the background and downloading your mail. Which means the e-mail provider has to have a server to send the notification to your phone. But you have made me realise that I can probably set my gmail up to do this (do you have gmail, as it doesn’t do this for me out of the box? See I told you I couldn’t be bothered to customise my phone)

I can’t figure out quite what side your on, why would you need anything other than push notifications, don’t set gmail up using the gmail function of the mail app, set it up up as an exchange account (google it, not difficult) then you will have push gmail.

aracer
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences

nm

DrJ

This is an example of why I like Apple stuff. A lot of times I think ‘I’d like to be able to do something this way’, and then discover that my Mac, or whatever, is set up to do it a different way. After a while I realise that the way Apple chose is better than the way I was wanting to do things. I guess that’s why I’m not a Silicon Valley millionaire 🙁

Cougar

Found figures for the Global Marketshare by the way Cougar:

Gartner reckoned 18% to Symbian’s 22% at the close of Q2, which is where I was getting my data from. Close as makes no odds, if they hadn’t actually overtaken Symbian then, they probably have by now.

I read somewhere recently that though they don’t have the dominant market share, Apple account for 80% of global smartphone data usage. I figure it’s all the iPhone owners telling everyone about their phone.

SBrock
    Free Member

I moved from an iPhone 3G as I dropped and smashed it in May 2010 to a HTC Desire, I was waiting for the iPhone 4 but couldn’t wait much longer. Initially the HTC was impressive but battery is starting to become a joke now….. I can’t wait to get rid of it and getting a iPhone 4s, much nicer, slicker compatible with my iMac, iPad etc, although android is very popular I just don’t think it’s as nice as ios5′

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I figure it’s all the iPhone owners telling everyone about their phone.

*stifles yawn*

SBrock
    Free Member

And all this apple fanboy hate campaign just makes me laugh, yes the technology on the android phones is all pretty impressive, but it’s software and ease of use, intuitiveness and design that sells phones not the hardware and apple have got it right, even with iPad,

DrJ

I figure it’s all the iPhone owners telling everyone about their phone.

Maybe you should pay attention to them, then, and avoid bloopers like …

You can select, uh, four apps I think, to be background-able.

Cougar

all this apple fanboy hate campaign just makes me laugh

Ah, ironing. I generally respond to try and correct wildly inaccurate claims, but I’ll do that irrespective of topic if I think someone is mistaken or deliberately misleading. Unlike some I don’t profess to always being right but, y’know, it makes for interesting discussions, no?

We could all just sit here agreeing with each other instead, think how much fun that’d be.

*stifles yawn*

Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke (hence the smiley).

Maybe you should pay attention to them, then, and avoid bloopers like …

I did say “I think” and then quantified that I wasn’t sure in the next post. I was told that by an iPhone owner, they were clearly mistaken.

defydude
    Free Member

I wonder if the OP got the answer they were looking for?

mogrim

I wonder if the OP got the answer they were looking for?

Having read all the above, I’m seriously considering getting rid of my Google phone and moving to Windows Mango.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve never, ever come across a malware infection on a mobile device first-hand, or known anyone who’s had one.

Yet, but the odds are stacking up.

Daughter #1 wants an iPhone now and if I can get a 3gs cheap enough I may actually get her one.

GrahamS

puppypower:
    Graham, that must be via push notifications though rather than it actually running in the background and downloading your mail. Which means the e-mail provider has to have a server to send the notification to your phone.

Yup. But it’s not some Appley-magic server. It’s just an Exchange Server doing Push Email – as used by any Exchange client, including Android.

If your email provider doesn’t support “push email” then you can instead set up “pull email”, where your iPhone will connect to email every X minutes and check if there are new messages.

Awesome, I now have e-mail notifications working! Nice. Basically no need for “proper” background apps I don’t reckon.

I’m still not sure why you think this isn’t a “proper” multitasking. A background task is receiving email while you do other things in the foreground.

CountZero:
    Not entirely sure wot ‘block text’ means, but…. {huge block of text removed}

😆

Cougar:
    I generally respond to try and correct wildly inaccurate claims, but I’ll do that irrespective of topic if I think someone is mistaken or deliberately misleading.

Ye. I respect your position and lack of rhetoric Cougar. I try to do likewise – but oddly, for this particular topic, that makes us “fanbois”.

I was rabbiting on about cycle paths the other day and no one accused me of being a Cycle Path Fanboi or having shares in tarmac companies. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

joke

Yes, just not up to your usual standard and more akin to a certain other haterz, one in particular.

Gee is a psychopath fanboi. 🙂

GrahamS

Gee is a psychopath fanboi.

Y’know, I thought of making that joke, but decided it was too bad a pun for 10am. Well done for taking up the slack dublD.

puppypower
    Free Member

Graham, it’s not “proper” background process running cos a server (not my phone) is sending a notification to my phone that I have a new e-mail. And the e-mail is not “running” in the background. Admittedly the result is the same. And yes I have set up an exchange server rather than default version now, ta.
    Not really on any “side” just from a technical point of view, it’s not a normal definition of something running in the background (so if you are a developer you can’t make your app run while it’s not in the foreground, except to do limited things – which in my opinion isn’t necessarily a bad thing – many years ago I had a symbian phone that used to run out of battery v quickly when I forgot to kill the lemmings game before I did something else, nice) – and everyone seemed to be saying different stuff about whether ios can run background processes, so I stupidly jumped into the discussion. And then you accused me of being an Android lover and I was amused 🙂

Though I wouldn’t mind being able to have those widget thingys that can sit on the middle of your “home page” like you have on Android. Then my life would be complete.

Right I must do some work now. I *knew* I shouldn’t get involved in this thread except to say I love my iphone and I know if I shifted to android I would regret it.

GrahamS

Graham, it’s not “proper” background process running cos a server (not my phone) is sending a notification to my phone that I have a new e-mail.

Yes – that is how ALL Push Email works. On every phone and client.

Not really on any “side” just from a technical point of view, it’s not a normal definition of something running in the background

If there is nothing in the background then what do you think receives the push notification? Or indeed does the pull/fetch if you have it set up that way?

Cougar

Background processes != background user-level apps. You’re arguing about different things.

There has to be a process listening for push email, same as for SMSes, phone calls, etc. Same as keeping a clock running, maintaining a bluetooth pairing, downloading an app, and so on.

Having user-level apps running in the background is a different proposition. Can you set a slow page loading in a web browser and background it to do something else, then come back in a few minutes’ time to a fully loaded page? Or is it where you left it? Or has it closed the page completely?

Can you listen to music, have a GPS app track your walk, surf the net all at the same time?

“Proper” multitasking is a compromise on any mobile device, as resources are at a premium (and programmers have got complacent). I expect there will come a time where this isn’t the case, and with the advent of multi-core CPUs in handsets I reckon we’re a step closer to this.

puppypower
    Free Member

The push notification server on the phone. Which runs in the background, yes. I guess what I’m getting at is that if you write your own app it can’t do stuff in the background (except limited stuff as mentioned above). And I hadn’t really thought through how e-mail worked – so you are probably right about that. And I know you are going to say why would you want your app (a different app from e-mail, let’s just forget e-mail) to run in the background and I kind of agree with you. It’s just lots of developers don’t. It seems to me apple have managed to get around not properly allowing arbitrary things to run in the background, with push notifications and allowing location and music stuff. Not really arguing with you to be honest!

GrahamS

Background processes != background user-level apps.

My first example was using multiple background user-level apps: running multiple GPS tracker apps, while listening to music (via the TuneIn Radio app for example), and surfing on Singletrack in the foreground.

Apparently that wasn’t “real multi-tasking” – which is where pp started talking about email.

puppypower
    Free Member

Thankyou cougar, you said that so much more succinctly than me.

GrahamS

It seems to me apple have managed to get around not properly allowing arbitrary things to run in the background, with push notifications and allowing location and music stuff.

Yeah, now we are getting to it. The crux is the Apple APIs that it provides to developers do not allow apps to do anything they like in the background. That would be absolutely disastrous for performance and battery life.

It’s a pretty smart approach to managed multi-tasking on a low-power embedded device IMHO.

Cougar

Sorry, edited that post to add a bit more info.

puppypower
    Free Member

Agreed Graham. I think it’s fairly sensible too. Husband doesn’t and he knows seriously a lot about this stuff as he develops things that is critical to all this sort of stuff (vnc type stuff) for every mobile platform going. I would argue he is biased though as these restrictions make his life difficult! And I don’t think anyone would argue that apps though be able to do anything they like in the background, that would be madness.
    And cougar, yes ios can do most of the things you say above these days as location services and music are allowed to run in the background, plus apps are allowed to download stuff in the background for up to 10 mins.
    Anyway I now know why I don’t post on forums when I am meant to be working, it is because I am crap at multitasking :-), and I have now got nothing done this morning.

Cougar

The crux is the Apple APIs that it provides to developers do not allow apps to do anything they like in the background. That would be absolutely disastrous for performance and battery life.

As I understand it, Android’s approach is to give apps more free reign, but for the OS to carry power of veto to start stopping lower-priority processes if it needs resources. Services (eg, ‘playing music’) are separate from Activities which interact with the user (eg, displaying the music player); so in my example above, using a GPS tracker in the background would keep tracking your position but when you pulled the app to foreground you’d have to wait a moment for the screen to redraw your track.

I’ve no idea about Apple’s memory management, but from what you’ve said here it doesn’t sound wholly dissimilar.

GrahamS

Husband doesn’t and he knows seriously a lot about this stuff as he develops things that is critical to all this sort of stuff (vnc type stuff) for every mobile platform going.

Yep, I’m an embedded software engineer myself, though not phones (yet).

Don’t the VNC apps maintain a connection in the background? (Sadly my iPhone is currently “resting” so I can’t check).

Cougar: yeah it can do all those things in the background.

GrahamS

I’ve no idea about Apple’s memory management, but from what you’ve said here it doesn’t sound wholly dissimilar.

Think so. Apple let apps freeze their state when they get backgrounded and then resume it when they come back to the foreground.

Typical example: playing a game and you get an incoming call. Most games will freeze state when you switch to the phone app. When you return to the game it will unfreeze and carry on from exactly where you left it.

The background APIs allow apps to keep certain small parts running in the background at all times (e.g. music, gps, downloads, long running tasks etc).

I don’t think the iPhone ever auto-kills any apps – but I could be wrong on that.

soobalias
    Free Member

my phone is HTC, like the bike team

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Anyone moved from iPhone to Android and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.