Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Anyone moved from iPhone to Android and regretted it?
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

Have been an iPhone user for 3 years, and am due for an upgrade. Thinking of making the move and getting the Samsung Galaxy 2, or something similar. Anyone done the same and regretted it? Or wished they had done so sooner?
    I’m worried I’ll miss the apps I’ve grown to love and the ease of subscribing to podcasts through iTunes, but like the idea of better gmail integration and a more open platform.

defydude
    Free Member

and a more open platform.

Elaborate on this one, please.

joao3v16
    Free Member

swings for courses.
    horses and roundabouts.

djglover
    Free Member

I have an Ipod touch and Galaxy S.

Apple is much easier to integrate with my existing hardware, including Microsoft

Galaxy has the functionality I need, but it is a major pain in the arse to make it all work well.

Flaperon

Just hang on for the time being until the Galaxy Nexus is released – Android 4.0 is due out next week and brings some fairly sweeping changes to the platform.

simon_g

Podcasts are better served with a third-party app IMO (so you can just download them easily on the device itself). I like Instacast on iPhone, but there are dozens out there for all platforms.

Assuming you can get all the stuff you need (and there’s nothing specific to one platform) it comes down more to personal preference. IME iPhones are much better built than most of the top-end Android ones, most of which can look tatty as hell after 18 months use. That plus having £50+ of apps on iOS means I’m not likely to switch any time soon. If you’re starting fresh and like the look of Android (plus they’re quite a bit cheaper on contract) then it makes a lot of sense too.

jam-bo

I’ve been thinking about this but the fact I can get a new iPhone, plug it in to itunes and know everything will be transferred and works suits me just fine.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve changed from HTC Hero with Villain ROM to an iPhone 3GS with iOS5.

So far, I quite like the slick interface and speed…

onandon
    Free Member

Just moved from Android to Apple 4s and very impressed so far. However,all the new phones from Htc etc are very slick.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Sort of hijack – anyone use Android on a Tablet?

What changes is Android 4.0 rumours to bring?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I get annoyed when trying to use colelague’s and friends Iphones, as I find a lot of menus/options/functions, either counter-intuitive or just missing.
    I also like being able to use the phone as a USB flash drive, and love the tight Google integration on Android – IMO it’s one of the key things that makes them stand out.
    Not sure the Galaxy S2 is the best Android option for you though, although it’ll likely be the most similar UI look & feel to what you’re used to.

Cougar

Assuming you can get all the stuff you need (and there’s nothing specific to one platform) it comes down more to personal preference.

This.

There’s little between them functionality wise, on the whole. It really boils down to taste. I have an Android handset, OH has an iPhone, neither of us would swap.

greyman
    Free Member

Christ, this is a sensible iChat innit ?
    As asked above, what’s on Android 4.0 you geek types ? 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

better gmail integration

I use an iPhone with gmail and can’t think of anything I need to be “tighter”. What are you worried about?

kayak23

I have an HTC Desire HD on Android. Despite the appalling battery life of the handset, the platform is fantastic.
    My GF has an iphone and I can’t say i’d like to be tied to things in the way I see her as being.
    She only has stock ringtones, she can’t use SWYPE keyboard which is like some kind of black magic and IMHO she is paying extra money purely for the fact its an Apple.

Making the switch will take some getting used but I’d say it would be a good one.

puppypower
    Free Member

I used an Android phone when I lost my iphone for a couple of weeks, and no way would I switch. It was an old Android phone but it drove me mad.
    There are some nice things about Android (well, the fact that processes can run in the background, meaning you can see if you have a new mail without opening your e-mail, and the little notifications you get at the top (which apple have now tried to replicate but not that well)) but I love my iphone. I say stick with iphone.

clubber
    Free Member

Not me as it goes. My iPhones were unreliable (two broke in two years – I don’t usually break phones) and while mostly nice and slick still crashed and caused me hassle. The battery was crap and it was a poor phone – constantly less signal than everyone else on different phones even on the same network.

I got an iPhone originally because at the time, the competition couldn’t really compete. Things have changed.

My android phone that replaced it (Desire S) basically works just as well but isn’t quite as slick. For me though the ‘open-ness’ of it is a real bonus – I can make it work how I want without having to hack it. For now, I certainly wouldn’t go back to an iPhone

benslow
    Free Member

Enjoyed my iPhone 3GS for a couple of years – it was great as first foray into smartphones.

Although hated iTunes and little crappy screen size but rest ok.

Now swapped for a galaxy S2 in the summer which i’m over the moon with, although had a go on a mates Desire S at the weekend and thats a lovely phone too.

Would prob get that if had choice again.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I use an iPhone with gmail and can’t think of anything I need to be “tighter”.

+1

The thing with the more open system is that Android offers the opportunity for malware/spyware/virus. This situation is only going to get worse as Android becomes more popular. It’s the one reason I can’t see myself using an Android phone.

GrahamS

I use an iPhone with gmail and can’t think of anything I need to be “tighter”. What are you worried about?

The standard Mail.app seems to work just fine with GMail.

If you want much tighter integration with GMail then you could always use the GMail app when it comes out (which should be very soon. Google already released it then pulled it immediately because it was so buggy)

xiphon
    Free Member

sharkbait – oh yeah, open source is *definitely* the reason for more viruses.

That would explain why Windows has something like 98% of them.

Er…. hold on a sec.

sharkbait
    Free Member

oh yeah, open source is *definitely* the reason for more viruses.

I didn’t say open source (I like open source stuff), I said open system i.e. anyone can write an app for Android and sell/give it away. I like the fact that all iOS apps are checked for malicious code before they are allowed to the App Store.
    Mobile security firm Lookout revealed that Android users were 2.5 times more likely to come across malware in July 2011 than they were at the start of the year.

grievoustim
    Free Member

She only has stock ringtones

its easy to add your own non-stock ringtones to an iPhone, google it – and with IOS5 you can use non-stock tones for texts etc as well

+1 for gmail integration on the iphone – I use google mail, calendar etc and it all integrates perfectly

GrahamS

oh yeah, open source is *definitely* the reason for more viruses.

There is no denying that Android has a lot more malware and viruses than iOS.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/08/android-malware-explodes-ios-remains-safe/
    (note which one is too small to show on that graphic: oh yeah, iOS)

portlyone

With the demise of Flash they’ll be less and less between the two OSs

Cougar

The thing with the more open system is that Android offers the opportunity for malware/spyware/virus.

Whilst that’s correct, it’s a little disingenuous.

Android apps can only access the services that you grant it access to, and it shows you this request before installation is allowed. If you install a “top 10 best fart noises” app written by phonehax.ru and it wants access to make International phone calls, then you get a really big phone bill, you’ve really only yourself to blame. Also, apps are peer-reviewed, so you can read other people’s experiences live before downloading.

With iPhone, you’re trusting Apple to keep the scary people away. With Android, the burden of choice lies with the user. In practice, if you have an IQ higher than a warm drink of water and aren’t in the habit of downloading Brittney Spears Nude Screen Savers, the risk is as close to zero as makes no odds. The bottom line is that an app can only do what you say it can do.

mogrim

I didn’t say open source (I like open source stuff), I said open system i.e. anyone can write an app for Android and sell/give it away. I like the fact that all iOS apps are checked for malicious code before they are allowed to the App Store.

Not convinced that it’s really that much of a problem, assuming you stick to the Google marketplace. Of course, if you start downloading software from a russian-based warez site…

To the OP: I use and like Android, the gmail integration is great (although it flies in the face of the idea of “openness” – you’re completely tied to Google for everything), but if I were you I’d stick with the iPhone, particularly if you like iTunes and don’t mind the extra cost. iPhone handsets feel a little more solid than most Android ones, the interface is a little bit slicker. Nothing critical, nothing too serious, but it’s definitely there.

Cougar

There is no denying that Android has a lot more malware and viruses than iOS.

I’ve read the McAfee report (written by the creators of McAfee Mobile Security suite). Getting actual figures is harder than it should be.

The scary-looking pie chart is backed up with a bar graph. According to the (less than clear) graph, that pie chart represents, in total, about fifty samples.

How many of those are actual in-the-wild threats? It’s not clear. They talk about what’s in their lab database, not what’s on users’ handsets.

GrahamS

Android apps can only access the services that you grant it access to, and it shows you this request before installation is allowed.

That doesn’t exactly make you malware proof does it.
    The permissions are pretty vague and plenty of apps could use genuine reasons to hide malicious use.

e.g. a map app would need access to GPS (for your location) and internet connection (to download the map) but could easily use this permission to record your location on a server.

Likewise a game might want access to your contacts to “Find Friends Playing This Game” and internet connection for global high score tables – but could then use that permission to upload all your contact details to spam lists.

etc etc

When you give any kind of permission you have no way of knowing exactly what you are giving that permission for.

GrahamS

How many of those are actual in-the-wild threats? It’s not clear. They talk about what’s in their lab database, not what’s on users’ handsets.

Well the DroidDream trojans were real and prevalent enough that Google remotely wiped them from people’s handsets.

Cougar

Well the DroidDream trojans were real

So that’s “one”, then. And patched as of 2.3.

But whatever. I’m not saying that Android is flawless, any more than any platform is flawless. Just that it’s very easy to trot out scary-looking graphics when you’re trying to sell security software.

GrahamS

So that’s “one”, then.

Well, “one” as in fifty apps with one strain of attack.

Here are some more:
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/mobile/231300257

And here’s a recent exploit that let hackers install apps without asking permission:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/20/google_android_vulnerability_patching/

it’s very easy to trot out scary-looking graphics when you’re trying to sell security software.

So where is the iPhone one?

Cougar

Probably waiting for Apple to authorise it.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I went from iphone 3 which was made unuseable by an Apple update, their customer service were useless and I vowed never to use one again.
    Went to HTC Desire which was a great phone, fast, easy to use and able to function like a mini computer. The screen however was useless outdoors and you really couldn’t see a thing on it.
    I am now using an iphone 4, I know I said I’d never use one again but the app that I need is only available on Iphone or Blackberry, Apples offering is the lesser of 2 evils. The screen and battery on the iphone 4 is much better that the HTC Desire but I still prefer the function of the software and speed on the HTC

craigxxl
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Well the DroidDream trojans were real and prevalent enough that Google remotely wiped them from people’s handsets.

I would be impressed with this as when Apples own update rendered my iphone useless I got no help from them at Google fixed the problem.

mogrim

That’d be iOS 5.0 then 🙂

And there are rumours of iPhone viruses/trojans out there, here’s one: http://macviruscom.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/iphone-trojan-really/ It’s only a matter of time, the iPhone user base is too tempting a target.

kayak23

I used an Android phone when I lost my iphone for a couple of weeks, and no way would I switch. It was an old Android phone but it drove me mad.

A lot of that is just getting used to changes between brands/operating systems. It works both ways.
    Years ago I switched from a Sony Eric to an LG and hated it….until I got used to it.

Cougar

That’d be iOS 5.0 then

Yeah, no exploits there, naturellement.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Anyone moved from iPhone to Android and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.