Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone know about airbrushes?
  • HarryTuttle

My daughter wants an airbrush kit for her birthday, it’ll get used mainly for art, modelling (probably steampunk stuff) and no doubt by everyone else in the house.

However, I know very little about airbrushes and having looked online there’s everything from £30 on eBay to ££££ at special stores.  What’s good?  What’s worth spending extra on?  Any recommendations?  Realistically it’ll get occasional use so I’m loathed to spend crazy money but I’m beyond the so cheap it’s crap stage in life.

I wouldn’t normally ask but this too far from my pool of experience and this place is the font on all knowledge (perhaps).

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’m onto my third or fourth now – Neo by Iwata. It’s a gravity feed dual action airbrush, which means the paint cup is on top of the brush and the trigger controls both the airflow and the paint flow

no matter how much or how little you spend on the airbrush, you’ll also need the “air” . Cans of compressed air are easy and cheap enough, but long term a compressor will work out cheaper

bear-uk
    Free Member

My limited knowledge after using one decades ago for remote controlled model air-planes. Get a duel action version as it gives more scope. The lever when pressed down harder delivers more paint and the further back the more air is delivered.

As for the air I had mine coupled up to a proper compressor but nowadays the likes of Aldi do nice little kits that would be suitable.

PJM1974
    Free Member

First of all, a decent-ish compressor isn’t expensive and can be sourced from your favorite online retailer for not much more than an evening in the pub.  My own compressor is identical to this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1FPCTU/ref=asc_df_B01M1FPCTU56107463/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B01M1FPCTU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=208025721965&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18423409844416248581&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045108&hvtargid=pla-451788905184

Next up is the airbrush itself.  Mine is dirt cheap and arrived without the guide for the needle, so I dismantled my old airbrush and swapped the parts.  You could bag a perfectly serviceable airbrush and compressor for less than a top end Maxxis tyre:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1FPCTU/ref=asc_df_B01M1FPCTU56107463/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B01M1FPCTU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=208025721965&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18423409844416248581&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045108&hvtargid=pla-451788905184

Airbrushing itself is straightforward, but it takes ages to learn about finishing and technique.  You’ll need to clean it after each spray and maybe for for paints that are easily thinned, non-toxic and easy on the nose like acrylics.  Tamiya acrylics are excellent, the own brand thinner is expensive but lasts for bloody ages.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

PJM1974 + 1, budget is a factor like anything, but like a bike there’s no good chucking £££’s at something new if It’s only a whim. No point buying a top end Iwata brush & a £300 compressor just to practice with.

However if It’s definately something she’s going to use then get the best you can afford (can always get a good price back later if things don’t go to plan)

I’ve got an old DeVillbiss Sprite Major that I got 2nd hand years ago & a compressor like that one ^^^.

Whatever she goes for, cleanliness is next to Godliness (as my old boss used to say) You must make sure the airbrush is spotless inside after each use,I thought I’d cleaned mine out properly but after going back to it a couple of months later the needle was still sticking so had to strip it again, & dried paint is harder to remove than new paint.

HTH.

mattyfez

I got a cheap one years ago as I was really into building and painting model cars and whatnot.

They are high maintenence to keep them running clean, frequent cleaning out if the paint is too thick and you get runs if the paint is too liquid.

Really good results and fun to use but you’ll spend a lot of time cleaning nozzles and mixing paint.

Not trying to put you off but airbrushing painting is probably only 50%, the other 50% is faffing about with cleaning etc.

An air compressor rather than using canned air is pretty much essential..

CountZero

Not trying to put you off but airbrushing painting is probably only 50%, the other 50% is faffing about with cleaning etc.

Shouldn’t be, if you run some cleaner through the nozzle as soon as the job is finished and before any residue dries. I used to use a DeVilbiss Super 63, still have it, in fact, used it for retouching photos for print. Great ‘brush, only held a small amount of paint, with just a small cut-out on the top of the barrel, rather than a larger semi-spherical cup. Not really useful for general art and modelling, Badger airbrushes have been the go-to for years for modelling and custom paintwork on cars, bikes, helmets, etc. They’re single action, though, but that seems to be preferable for the type of work they’re chosen for – double-action is really tricky to get used to, and probably more of a phaff than the casual user needs.

HarryTuttle

All good advice, thanks guys.

So I guess a kit like this is ok?

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LO4PKY2/ref=asc_df_B00LO4PKY256101090/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B00LO4PKY2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=294750500521&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=246074016559270164&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006755&hvtargid=pla-420476380267</span>

Harry_the_Spider

That look pretty much like the set up that I have. I’ve got the cheapo brush that came with it and a much nicer one that spursn17 off here gave me.

The nicer one is better (build quality and weight as well as spraying performance), but the cheap one is fine, just keep it clean and keep tightening it up. I run thinners and water through it when I’ve finished and between colours. Not had any issues at all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about airbrushes?’ is closed to new replies.