Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Anyone got an e-scooter?
  • footflaps

particularly when roadies cruise about at this speed and much much faster on a regular basis on skinny hard tyres.

Although generally not on pavements in city centres…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Much like when someone says “with all due respect” or …..” I’m not a racist built” – a smiley doesn’t excuse a poor taste statement.

avdave2

a smilie usually indicates a joke. 😉 chill fella

That’s how I took it, which is why I didn’t come back to mention the other clubmate who’s been in a coma for 3 weeks with a very poor prognosis.

fossy

I’ll admit, the e-scooters look great, and my mum was thinking of getting one as she can’t cycle, and can’t come out with us at our caravan – my 75 year old dad is OK riding an old 80’s MTB – it’s mint condition as it was my younger brothers, and he never used it..

But… our caravan site has banned them (they are illegal), and even banned hover boards.

Why, too many kids flying in front of cars, or exceeding 10 mph. My son (18) was messing about on his mum’s XC FS bike, and he clocked the scooters at 20 mph with the Garmin – but, ‘bikes’ can go considerably faster..

There is the ‘insurance’ issue as the ‘vehicles’ don’t conform to anything insurable. If you injure someone on a cycle, you’ll most likely be covered via home insurance, or BC insurance. Not so on a powered scooter/skate board.

willard

Ok, thought I had better post this:

https://www.voiscooters.com/home

This was the first of the four-odd companies to put in some sort of scooter hire in Stockholm. They still get a lot of custom despite Lime, Glyde and that new one coming into the city.

Anyway, they have a rules section:

VOI Club Rules.
    Follow the VOI Club rules so everyone can have a pleasant and safe day. Be street smart, sweetheart.

Show respect.
    Care for pedestrians and other people.

No sidewalks.
    Ride in bike lanes or close to the side curb.

No passengers.
    Only one rider per scooter is allowed.

VOI-law-blue-small.png
    Obey the law.
    Follow traffic rules and use caution.

Use a helmet.
    Always protect your head with a helmet when riding.

Love your scooter.
    Treat your scooter with love and care.

I do not go a day without seeing every single one of those broken, so they are useless, despite the good intentions.

The one thing that the website does make clear is this:

Am I insured using VOI or do I need my own insurance?
    In Sweden, the VOI scooter is classified as a bicycle, meaning the vehicle does not have any Motor Third Party Insurance (Swedish: Trafikförsäkring). As a user, if you were to cause yourself any damage while riding the VOI, this should be covered by your own insurance. Please contact your insurance company to check what your insurance policy covers.

So the insurance should be there. Unless you have been breaking the law, or drinking, or…

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an e-scooter?’ is closed to new replies.