Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Anyone got an e-scooter?
  • WillH

My wife is thinking of getting one, so she can park the car somewhere and scoot the last bit of her commute – quicker than walking or taking the bus.

Anyone here use one? Any reviews of models to avoid/recommend appreciated. Any tips, features to look for/avoid etc?

The Segway es4 seems to be top of her list at the moment.

julians
    Free Member

I dont think they’re legal to use unless on private land?

A mate of mine had one for the same use as you’re thinking of and kept getting bother from the police about it, so gave up with it. Seems a shame really, they could be useful for many people to use for short journeys and are small enough to carry on trains etc without taking up loads of space.

footflaps

Not legal, but quite a few about. Was nearly taken out by one the other day, he must have been doing about 25mph on the pavement…

nwmlarge
    Free Member
    GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Just get a normal scooter and a couple of Huskies 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty starting to appear at work, one colleague comes in from Holborn to Canary Wharf on his, then charges it up in the underground carpark cleaners cupboard..

I have no problem whatsoever with them, should be encouraged and a grant to make them freely available.

IMO

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Workmate had one, used to use it to commute to the station or along the sea front to the pub and back.  One morning he came in looking like he’d been beaten up, turns out he’d left the pub at closing time, scootered along the sea front and then woke up sprawled on the floor.  Between getting to the pub and leaving, the sea had deposited a load of shingle on the concrete path which he couldn’t see in the dark (obvs rather than drunk) which he’d then hit at 25+!

willard

I have many problems with them, specifically:

• not bothering to signal when cutting across cycle lanes,
    • being used without a helmet,
    • being two up on them,
    • being left everywhere on footways,
    • being used on footways,
    • being used to go the wrong way down cycle tracks and streets
    • merrily going across red lights and turning right on red

And breathe.

Sorry, they get my goat up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

make sure she wears a helmet

😀

johnners
    Free Member

I have no problem whatsoever with them, should be encouraged and a grant to make them freely available.

They seem like a good idea if there’s decent provision of cycleways. I don’t think they’re a good mix with pedestrians, particularly if they’re the 25mph+ (really?) variety mentioned above.

footflaps

Do they mix well with cyclists though? People who have never ridden a bike suddenly bombing along in narrow cycle lanes faster than bikes with very little/no road sense. Bad enough with scooters / motor bikes in bike lanes (even though they’re not allowed).

avdave2

I think they are a great idea along with the electric bike, the problem is that we don’t have the infrastructure to use them well and safely. It’s going to take a really determined effort to priorities all forms of transport above the car until we do. You only have to look at the half arsed cycle lane network to realise that’s going to be a big ask though.

Hopefully they will become such a nuisance that there is a realisation that the only way to deal with the problem is to build a road and path network that lets them be used safely. I’ll not hold my breath though.

WillH

Cheers folks. Should’ve said we’re not in the UK, and am up to speed with local laws. There are plenty of scooter schemes in cities around NZ, such as Lime – which I’ve used to get about, and they’re ace.

There are a few different ones on the market though, from Segway and Xiaomi to other random Chinese brands I’ve never heard of. Different power levels, braking systems, solid or pneumatic tyres… Quite a few options.

Agree that there are lots of folks with no road sense who hop on them and are a menace, but equally there are folks who just zip around not getting in anyone’s way, and not being another car on the road.

brakes
    Free Member

I think they’re brilliant and really want one.
    Saw a young lad on one this morning – he must have been doing 30mph – I caught him at the lights and he claimed it would do 60mph! He had a proper motorcycle helmet on so presume he was licensed / insured… didn’t notice any plates though.

Anyway there are loads of e-scooter in London (most people have the Xiaomi M365) and they DO mix well with bikes. They are probably better than bikes as they do consistent predictable speeds, unlike bikes which may be going 10mph or 20mph.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Boosted aka Boosted Board fame, have just released an electric scooter. Obviously not cheap! But should be good.

Only concern in the UK apart from not been legal is what would happen if you scratched someones car or had an accident. You wouldn’t be covered by any insurance.

willard

But that would be the least of their problems. A lot of the time, they just keep going and leave people to get frustrated at the scratches appearing like magic.

Note: I am heavily biased as Stockholm has four hire companies for scooters and a lot of the time people are a nightmare on them. Near misses in town are common and they make cycling a more risky and angry place as they constantly go through red lights, don’t stop for pedestrian crossings and swerve in front of things.

footflaps

Only concern in the UK apart from not been legal is what would happen if you scratched someones car or had an accident. You wouldn’t be covered by any insurance.

No different to a cyclist scratching a car, you just ride off 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think they are a great idea along with the electric bike, the problem is that we don’t have the infrastructure to use them well and safely.

We actually do, it’s called roads. Change all roads to 25mph, allow the limit on these machines to be 25mph, hey presto, instant nationwide inner city infrastructure.

kerley
    Free Member

Or just allow them on the roads in same way bikes are allowed on the roads and most bike are not doing 15mph. I think they are a great idea for a commute of a few miles and I would use one over a bike as can put under desk, can use in summer without getting hot, can go on bus with it etc,.

easily
    Free Member

he claimed it would do 60mph!

Ok

choppersquad
    Free Member

My brother in law has the Xiaomi one. It’s really good but I feel really unsafe on it when it’s going flat out. Feels a lot faster than it is and I constantly feel like I’m going to faceplant on it. Well made bit of kit though and surely the sort of thing that should be encouraged to cut emissions etc?

kilo

want one.
    Saw a young lad on one this morning – he must have been doing 30mph – I caught him at the lights and he claimed it would do 60mph! He had a proper motorcycle helmet on so presume he was licensed / insured… didn’t notice any plates though.

Anyway there are loads of e-scooter in London (most people have the Xiaomi M365) and they DO mix well with bikes. They are probably better than bikes as they do consistent predictable speeds, unlike bikes which may be going 10mph or 20

Highly unlikely he will be insured, they don’t have type approval as motorbikes hence no plates, I’ll take a guess on no motorcycle license either. I don’t find them particularly desirable in them bike lanes in London where I commute

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

he claimed it would do 60mph!

and his dad owns the copyright to words “No Way jose” and lives off the royalties.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and his dad owns the copyright to words “No Way jose” and lives off the royalties.

Maybe it’s a dualtron ?

More like 50 or 55 though 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Maybe it’s a dualtron ?

Doesn’t matter, he goes to a different school and you wouldn’t know him.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Maybe it’s a dualtron ?

Guessing the video ran out cause he ran out of battery 2 minutes later? 😆

avdave2

We actually do, it’s called roads. Change all roads to 25mph, allow the limit on these machines to be 25mph

We have 20mph limits through most of Brighton, good luck with your plan of enforcing your 25mph limit because it sure isn’t working here. And can you imagine the carnage of these things doing 25mph on our road system and surfaces! One of my clubmates has just come out of the ICU unit and is just managing his first pureed food after needing his face rebuilt after hitting a sunken drain. The roads around here would be like negotiating an obstacle course with the potholes which grow in number every day

benp1

I see loads commuting around in London. Presume they are for journeys in the 0-5 mile category, don’t see many further out than that (from Central London)

They seem to work great. Most people seem happy on them and are just as reasonable/considerate as other cyclists. Seems like a damn good idea!

I rode my mates kick scooter and that felt like a death trap. Haven’t ridden an e-scooter, would love a go, but little wheels and high centre of gravity must make it interesting. Also wonder if they have enough power to get up a hill ok?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just cause your mate is rubbish on a bike doesn’t mean the rest of us are! 😆

the 20mph isn’t enforced cause it’s patchwork at best, and just too much hassle to enforce, you make everything 25 and then things become much simpler.

sharkbait
    Free Member

They’re not that different to a 125 so if they go on the road you should be made to take a CBT and run L plates.

Having recently done my CBT I’m now amazed at the speed of some road bikers protected by nothing more than a bit if lycra and some polystyrene on their head!

johnners
    Free Member

And can you imagine the carnage of these things doing 25mph on our road system and surfaces!

The surfaces thing is a good point. I’d be OK with one round where I live but I’ve just come back from Harrogate where the town roads are absolutely shocking. I wouldn’t fancy it much on bike, never mind a small-wheeled scooter.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy it much on bike,

I do find this view a bit mental on an mtb forum! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

sharkbait

They’re not that different to a 125

Power output not exceeding 11kW

Slight difference in the 750w standard you’d need to bring in for ebikes and scooters at 25mph.. They are nothing like petrol 125s.

avdave2

I do find this view a bit mental on an mtb forum! 😆

I find I have to watch the surface more on my road bike than my mountain bike for a lot of riding. The problem with the scooters is the wheel size, they need a much better surface than a bike. The point is we need to improve that if we are really going to get significant numbers of people using these new ways of getting around. As for the 20mph limit it’s not because it’s patchy that it’s not enforced it’s because there simply aren’t the resources to enforce it and their isn’t the will to allocate the resources it would need.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh I don’t really care about scooters, I think at speed they look sketchy.

mtbs, should be allowed to hit 25 though, road surface doesn’t particularly matter there.

stumpy01

Weirdly (and somewhat randomly) I watched this review on youtube the other evening.
    It’s not terribly in depth, but might give you an idea:

johnners
    Free Member

I do find this view a bit mental on an mtb forum!

Road bumps are bumpier than off-road bumps, fact!

(Plus there’s the 25mm tyres, no suspension, and the cars, buses and HGVs buzzing you while you try to pick the least worst line)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just cause your mate is rubbish on a bike doesn’t mean the rest of us are

Who shit on your cornflakes.there was no need for that comment.

Mistakes happen to all. I currently have a clubmate who is fairly well accomplished who’s in hospital with a broken neck due to an in race incident . He is far from rubbish – wrong place wrong time.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ohnners

I do find this view a bit mental on an mtb forum!

Road bumps are bumpier than off-road bumps, fact!

not if you’ve got a motor and 2.4s on they aren’! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

trail_rat

Just cause your mate is rubbish on a bike doesn’t mean the rest of us are

Who shit on your cornflakes.there was no need for that comment.

Mistakes happen to all. I currently have a clubmate who is fairly well accomplished who’s in hospital with a broken neck due to an in race incident . He is far from rubbish – wrong place wrong time.

a smilie usually indicates a joke. 😉 chill fella.

Point is that the arguments put forward aren’t sufficient to argue against the point. 25 mph on and ebike isn’t unreasonable.

particularly when roadies cruise about at this speed and much much faster on a regular basis on skinny hard tyres.

Arguing against something with outliers isn’t generally a sound argument.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got an e-scooter?’ is closed to new replies.