• This topic has 49 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Anyone booked to go skiing in Switzerland?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Well it just got 20% more expensive. Ouch.

Stoner
    Free Member

eh?

Gotama
    Free Member

Swiss national bank just abandoned the Euro currency peg. Currency has strengthened by c.20% (it’s all over the place) against sterling this morning.

footflaps

Well it just got 20% more expensive.

Not if you paid in advance it hasn’t, the tour operator will have to swallow the delta.

ElShalimo

It’s okay Gideon has promised we’ll be rich beyond avarice by 2030 and with his track record of keeping promises I’m looking forward to it

hot_fiat

Crumbs, perhaps i need to look again at that job offer.

Gotama
    Free Member

Not if you paid in advance it hasn’t, the tour operator will have to swallow the delta.

I was more referring to costs whilst out there; ski pass, rental, beers etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup been watching it here at work (in Finance). 15 years ago the GBP/CHF fx rate was 2.90. Over that period the Swiss Franc has doubled in value vs the pound. I kick myself everyday for not buying a property there back then.

It’s okay Gideon has promised we’ll be rich beyond avarice by 2030 and with his track record of keeping promises I’m looking forward to it

@ElShalimo
    Just think how rich we might have been if the UK had followed Swiss style economic polcies over the past 20 years

hot_fiat

the tour operator will have to swallow the delta.

Not necessarily, most have a clause that allows them to surcharge you in events such as this, or when fuel becomes radically more expensive.

ElShalimo

jambalaya – Member 

That would have required a government that had a vision past the next general election.

footflaps

I was more referring to costs whilst out there; ski pass, rental, beers etc.

Normally Ski pass & rental are part of the package (if you needed to rent).

nickdavies

Fly out in 2 weeks. Was going to sort some cash yesterday as the cheap currency place up by me was open, now i’m kicking myself. That’s put a couple of hundred quid onto the trip.. 🙁

Gotama
    Free Member

Good god man 🙄

wallop

Optional extras, not included as a given.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Nazi Gold!

ElShalimo

all buried in the Jura canton
    Shhh

alpin
    Free Member

interesting… i often tour through CH in the summer (in a van, supporting some roadies, eat & sleep in the van to keep costs down) for a tour operator. already annoying when your coffee suddenly costs 7€ and a bit of strudel 8€. wonder what it is going to be like now?

i can see myself stocking up in Austria and living like a pauper for a week.

however, swiss farmers already have the problem that they cannot sell their produce to neighbouring countries as the franc is too strong.

donald
    Free Member

I remember when it was 4SFr to the pound.

I am quite old though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ninfan – to answer your question on the other thread …

Swiss Franc was being artificially “held down” in value by their government worried about a highly valued currency negatively impacting tourism and export businesses. They have now given up as it was costing them a lot of money and the real fundamentals warrant a stronger currency, ie the Swiss economy is doing great and lots of people want to invest there / move their money into Swiss Francs for safety not least as so much of Europe looks in trouble.

As I posted over 15 years the Swiss Franc has doubled in value versus the pound/euro/dollar (will double check but certainly pound) – they are doing something right.

@donald – you must be old or have been paying more attention 😀 . I recall 2.90 and am 51.9

ninfan
    Free Member

Cheers Jambalaya

The benefits of not having a huge reliance on export markets I guess?

I’m off to Costco to panic buy large jars of Nutella!

Stoner
    Free Member

Nutella is Italian nin

jambalaya
    Free Member

Think of the rainforest (palm oil) and your waistline.

MrOvershoot

It’s going to cost our firm a shed load more for spares now as all our milling equipent is Swiss(Buhler)and their prices are always in CHF.

Edit just looked at XE.com and its changed a bit but not that much (yet)
    1.535 8th Jan – 1.555 now though the 12hr graph shows 1.55 to 1.50

ninfan
    Free Member

Balls, thought nestle had bought it.

Well I’m not stocking up on Rolex, DT forks and BMC frames, that’s for sure.

dragon
    Free Member

Those Assos prices are going to be even more nuts now.

dragon
    Free Member

Also interestingly as the UCI is based in Switzerland, all fines for riders are in CHF, so they’ll get rather more pricey now.

Gotama
    Free Member

The benefits of not having a huge reliance on export markets I guess?

There are a number of Swiss businesses which will suffer as a result of this; Richemont comes to mind (maker of your standard STW watch amongst other things) as their cost base is largely CHF. Others will be ok, Syngenta for example has less than 15% of the cost base exposed to the Swiss franc and has a fairly large swiss asset base but reports in USD. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out but I suspect tourism will be the major loser here albeit I don’t know how much that contributes to swiss gdp.

donald
    Free Member

I think it was 1976 or 1977 Jambalaya.

ElShalimo

Tourism in Swiss GDP is ~3% in recent years
    So they really couldn’t give a fig about this

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ninfan as an aside look up the history of Nutella, basically a family business with the product invented/perfected by the founder. The town became Nutella central for a while !

alpin
    Free Member

i can see a lot of tourists being put off spending their money there. tourism may only account for 3%, but for those that depend upon it it’ll hurt. not that i’ve got much sympathy for them….

not sure if the country is 50% prettier than its neighbours as it its prices would have you believe.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@alpin – Verbier and Zermatt are cheaper than Coucheval, well they were before the fx move. Not sure why you have no sympathy for Swiss people working in the tourist industry

andyfla
    Free Member

it was stronger in 2011 (1.17 at it strongest) and I seem to remember in the mid nineties it did something silly like this (Ok only 1.8) and it destroyed the english travel market – certainly in Zermatt where i was

stevomcd
    Free Member

£ / CHF has immediately rebounded almost all the way back up after this morning’s announcement. Now sitting at 1.50 CHF / £ compared to 1.55 yesterday.

It’s people from the Eurozone travelling to Switzerland that need to worry about this.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t care if it went up 80% in the coming days….

Nothing is going to stop me drinking Coronas and eating Tandoori pizza in the Le Fer a Cheval, Verbier.

Plan to get in there early and get myself tucked in around the corner. With luck it’ll be clear day and we’ll be able to see the mountains across the valley and beyond…. happy days

stevomcd
    Free Member

Forget my previous post, £ / CHF has dropped off a cliff in the last hour or so…

Klunk
    Free Member

wonder how much of this was due to russian money running for cover/avoiding sanctions putting stress on the swiss euro peg.

alpin
    Free Member

It’s people from the Eurozone travelling to Switzerland that need to worry about this.

=(

@ jam

not much sympathy when you see the prices you are charged, when just over the hill in Italy/Austria things are about 50% cheaper and the people seem a lot friendlier (and i can speak fluent German with the miserable sods).

Klunk
    Free Member

at least Andy will be happy with his investment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But not Schweizer Deutsch though @aplin 😉

@Klunk – indeed up anything from £3m-£4m equivalent depending on what you think was the purchase price (wide range of estimates from £8m-£12m)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Anyone booked to go skiing in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.