Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • Any smokers giving up?
  • binners

Maybe instead of this you could chuck the same amount of money spent on fags each day/week in a sealed jar so she can see how much it costs?

Thats a good starting point, but you need to take it further. Inform her that this amount of money is the equivalent of what she’s spending on something she says she enjoys. So…. when the jar gets full you’re going to empty it, then head out and blow the lot on coke and hookers. This is only fair 😀

binners

I’d like to know, from an unbiased medical person, just how much harm my one or two tabs a month (and a small pouch of Golden Virginia during a 2 week holiday, once a year) is doing …..

None, I’d reckon. It won’t be having the same effect on your lungs as traffic fumes, or any amount of other things. I wish I could do that. But if I had a fag or two tonight, I’d be back on twenty a day tomorrow

Hohum
    Free Member

failedengineer – Member
    I’d like to know, from an unbiased medical person, just how much harm my one or two tabs a month (and a small pouch of Golden Virginia during a 2 week holiday, once a year) is doing ….

I can sort of remember an article on the BBC news website saying that medics had found out that even one a day has serious effects on your health. The damage isn’t linear by any means.

I gave up almost 4 years ago now after having smoked for over 20 years. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

A couple of things that I am really pleased about are the ban on smoking in public places and that none of my friends or relatives smoke. I can imagine it must be difficult for those with family, friends or partners who smoke staying stopped.

I am not sure what to make about these e-cigs. Whilst I think it is a great thing for those smokers who want to stop I can’t help but think that they send out the wrong message to impressionable youngsters. Ach, maybe I am wrong and youngsters don’t think they look cool, hmmm.

Anyway, good luck to those who are trying to quit and well done to those recent quitters.

hora
    Free Member

Lady: Do you smoke?
    Guy: Yes I do.
    Lady: How many packs a day?
    Guy: 3 packs.
    Lady: How much per pack?
    Guy: $10.00 per pack.
    Lady: And how long have you been smoking?
    Guy: 15 years
    Lady: So 1 pack is $10.00 and you have been smoking 3 packs a day which puts your spending per month at $900. In 1 year, it would have been $10,800. Correct?
    Guy: Correct.
    Lady: If 1 year you spend $10,800, not accounting for inflation, the past 15 years puts your spending total at $162,000. Correct?
    Guy: Correct.
    Lady: Do you know if you hadn’t smoke, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 15 years, you could have by now bought a Ferrari?
    Guy: Oh. Do you smoke?
    Lady: No.
    Guy: Then where’s your Ferrari?

I used to have the choice smoke or eat. I chose smoke. The last time I was 12.5stone 6ft2 tall!

If you are on a lower income and you are addicted you tend to let other things slide; better quality food, fruit/veg etc etc. People on lower wages refer to smoking as ‘their only (small) luxury’. Its part of explaining away addiction, it leaves nothing else for something fun in your life.

Now, onto the positive part of that analogy. I promised myself that if I quit I’d take up cycling again. I did, I spent my fag money on a hobby. 🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

UPDATE – after 13 days off them, my 5 mile running time yesterday was down from a pedestrian 44 minutes to an impressive 37m50s

And today I have been to the pub for a 4 pint lunch, stuck to the vapeing, and feel no ill effects

binners

Now, onto the positive part of that analogy. I promised myself that if I quit I’d take up cycling again. I did, I spent my fag money on a hobby.

And the frame builders of the world rejoiced!!! And have a big party every year to mark the day 😉

binners

Well done Steve!!! Onwards and upwards fella. And did you enjoy smugly watching the smokers cowering outside the pub in this absolutely vile weather? While you puffed away on your e-cig? 😉

freddyg
    Free Member

Binners. I’ve just placed an order for the Titan Compact kit from tottallywicked. It’ll be here in a couple of days.Theyve cucurrently got a yoyo sale on. I got it for £12 delivered – down from £35. Bargain. I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your help.

Now then, where did I put my fags? 🙂

binners

12 quid?!!! Bloody hell, you’ve got a bargain there! So basically: 30 fags? Can’t really argue with that

Let’s keep this thread going, and keep us posted how you’re getting on!

andy3809
    Free Member

The problem I found with the e cigs is that you’re not breaking the addiction. When the ecig breaks (and they do frequently) then you may well end up buying a pack again ect ect.

The side effects of swapping to an ecig were nothing at all but when quitting completely my lungs cleared out tons of tar and other gunk. Said a lot to me

nealglover
    Free Member

The problem I found with the e cigs is that you’re not breaking the addiction. When the ecig breaks (and they do frequently) then you may well end up buying a pack again ect ect.

Have a spare ?

I’ve been using e-cigs for 5 years now. Have never been left “stranded” once.

Plus, I couldn’t smoke a real cigarette now if I tried. The smell of them doesn’t appeal at all, and the taste when I’m near someone smoking is horrible.

The side effects of swapping to an ecig were nothing at all but when quitting completely my lungs cleared out tons of tar and other gunk. Said a lot to me

How long did you use one for ?

My lungs cleared as you described, and My aerobic fitness is great now

tpbiker
    Free Member

Gave up on new years day 2013, then said to myself I’d go on the efags for 1 year, which I did and not touched it since newyears eve just gone.

Definitely made quiting alot easier.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Couple of points, maybe if you keep the nicotine levels on them maxed out, but it’s fairly easy to cut down the nicotine to 0 with them, so any addiction is 100% in your head.

And secondly, I’ve never had an ecig break, battery goes done and the cartomisers go done aye but a few quid gets you loads of them and it’s not an immediate thing, you get plenty of notice the things are on their last legs.

andy3809
    Free Member

Only my opinion of using them over 18 months or so. I guess my point is that you’re still smoking so you’re never a non smoker as such and it’s easier to just slip back into it.

Also as pointed out above, after a while it’s just in your head so it’s the habit of puffing on something and having something in your hand all the time.

However if it helps anybody quit then it’s got to be a bonus

nealglover
    Free Member

I guess my point is that you’re still smoking

No you’re not.

so you’re never a non smoker as such

Yes you are. You don’t smoke anymore, so you’re a non smoker (or an ex smoker if being really picky)

and it’s easier to just slip back into it.

Not in the slightest.

I’ve been a non smoker for 5 years now.

Never, ever, feel like smoking a cigarette.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thought I’d celebrate my 2 week aniversary aff the fags, with a fag! :mrgreen: Just out of pure curiousity to see the difference between that and the electronic cig. Did nothing for me that the ecig doesn’t do! Aff it! 🙂

and btw, no it’s not back to square one, it was just an experiment. 🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

Day 17 off the bensons, 5 mile running time down from 42 minutes to 38 minutes

Hohum
    Free Member

I am glad that I did it cold turkey as I think I would one of those e-cigs too close to smoking with the way you puff on it and stick it in your mouth.

Everyone is different though and I am pleased to hear that they work for others.

Jamie
    Free Member

and btw, no it’s not back to square one, it was just an experiment

Erm…

Jamie
    Free Member

Wunhundred!

seosamh77
    Free Member

. Jamie – Member
    and btw, no it’s not back to square one, it was just an experiment
    Erm

Experiment worked. No interest in the slightest having another one.

LoCo
    Free Member

A month now no fags at all, although need to do some exercise to chill out, don’t make me cross 😉

therag
    Free Member

Day one of being a non smoker has just began. I bought a 10 pack on the way to work instead of the usual 40.
    Read Allen Carr over the past 3 days and I was relived not to come to a page that said you’ve already given up now.
    🙂
    Followed the rules, smoked my last fag and crumpled up the remaining 3 fags.

yossarian
    Free Member

Thought I’d celebrate my 2 week aniversary aff the fags, with a fag! Just out of pure curiousity to see the difference between that and the electronic cig. Did nothing for me that the ecig doesn’t do! Aff it!

See that thought? That’s a crack in your resolve. You can explain it away however you like BUT you smoked. Soon it’ll be a couple on a Friday night after work. You either smoke fags or you don’t. If you were able to be a social smoker you wouldn’t have needed to quit in the first place.

Cold turkey FTW. however nothing works unless your head is in the right place. When I finally gave up it was a piece of piss because I really didn’t want to smoke any more. Win the argument with yourself and the rest will follow.

Good luck to all those who are trying.

freddyg
    Free Member

Well done therag. Keep us posted.

On the ecig side of things, I’ve just charged up my Tornado Tank for the first time and I must say that I’m a bit underwhelmed. I guess I’m doing something wrong. The precharged cartridge was rubbish so I topped up a fresh cartridge with the supplied menthol juice. A bit better but hardly any vapour. Any tips?

khani
    Free Member

Try sucking it a few times without pressing the button, and twist the cartridge round a few times in the end..
    Failing that get a higher m/a battery, the cheap ones are crap..
    Bloke at work just got a Titan tank thing cheap and the battery’s about a third as powerfull as my twister battery and doesn’t give a decent hit at all,
    He was gobsmacked when he tried the battery off my twister..

freddyg
    Free Member

Cheers Khani.

I’ve just read on the TW forum regarding technique. I was trying to smoke it like a normal cigarette. Longer and slower draw had helped, but I still don’t think it’s as good as it should be.

The battery it came with is a 640mAh jobbie, but im going to get hold of a bigger one. Can the VV batteries be used on any atomiser with the same fitting?

khani
    Free Member

I think so, they look the same, mine fitted on blokes at work..

freddyg
    Free Member

Nice one. I’ll get one ordered.

Feels odd, sitting inside having a smoke 🙂

khani
    Free Member

If you have a look at the TW forum they have a daily discount code on there,
    Might save a few quid..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

freddyg
    If your ecig is brand new and you charged the batteries, then there is something else wrong with it or you’re doing something wrong with it, if you’re not getting anything.
    by the sounds of it you’ve tried two batteries without results, so probably something else. I’ve had one or two duff atomisers over the last 18 months or it might be something else wrong or you aren’t doing something correctly.
    it’s very unlikely that 2 batteries are faulty (unless you are doing something wrong re charging them), so buying a VV battery isn’t going to solve anything, probably. buying a bigger battery will give more time between charges, not necessarily make it work. I have a few standard 650mah batteries giving clouds of smoke, they just don’t last as long as 1000 mah batteries, but do the same thing.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BTW, I’m not saying a combo of big VV battery and desired ohms atomiser doesn’t give a superior experience, but nealglover has been at it for many years and myself for 18 months and we both use fairly basic kit (I believe he does, anyway).

seosamh77
    Free Member

yossarian – Member 
    Thought I’d celebrate my 2 week aniversary aff the fags, with a fag! Just out of pure curiousity to see the difference between that and the electronic cig. Did nothing for me that the ecig doesn’t do! Aff it!
    See that thought? That’s a crack in your resolve. You can explain it away however you like BUT you smoked. Soon it’ll be a couple on a Friday night after work. You either smoke fags or you don’t. If you were able to be a social smoker you wouldn’t have needed to quit in the first place.

Maybe in your world, in mine it was a pure experiment, essentially, the naggin thought had been in my head to smoke, so i did to get the thought out of my head(I view it as purely a part of the process, and not an unexpected part tbh going from last experience), and like I said earlier just casue you have one doesn’t mean you need to have 10,000.

btw I’ve never been a social smoker, smoked for 18 years, with only 1 month off them, last march. I’ve not intention of becomming a social smoker(well apart from weed, but I’ve no intention of giving that up, pure grass only mind.)

In my world it’s day 16 aff the fags. That’s prety much all that matters. My world my rules 🙂

fwiw, onto the 0mg tomrrow, got a drible of 6mg left so will stick at 0mg for a few weeks and then will move onto polo mints. (I don’t believe that vaping long term is completely harmless.)

tbh I’m very confident I’m aff them for good.

On the ecig side of things, I’ve just charged up my Tornado Tank for the first time and I must say that I’m a bit underwhelmed. I guess I’m doing something wrong. The precharged cartridge was rubbish so I topped up a fresh cartridge with the supplied menthol juice. A bit better but hardly any vapour. Any tips?

I have a few similar kits in my shop – sold as eGo T’s. Personally, they don’t seem that great – have had a few happy customers, but they don’t work as well as a traditional wick/coil type atomiser/tank.

We do sell some basic kits from around £13 upwards, but my advice to new/first upgrade customers (who are serious about getting into vaping) is to spend around £35 (even though I stock £125 mods), for a VV battery and a Protank or similar – the difference from a starter kit is worlds away. I even have that set-up with me at most times, despite carrying round roughly £250’s worth of more advanced kit with me.

mah capacity of batteries can be irrelevant as far as producing vapour – that is simply a measure of how much current they can deliver over a given time – voltage/wattage/resistance all determine the actual current that will pass through the coil/generate heat/vapour etc.

email me at TheShishaShack AT gmail DOT COM if you want any advice, without a sales pitch 😉

alpin
    Free Member

just smoked my first rolly since the beginning of december….

reason? shitty conversation with the GF about her work. she is away on business. she isn’t happy with her situation there. talks to me about it, i respond and offer advice. apparently i’m there to listen, not offer advice….

grrrr!

she gets pissed, i get pissed. not got any green to smoke so i turn to the baccy.

annoyed at her. annoyed at myself.

and to make it worse the papers i had were so old that i pulled the first one out and the rest followed, concertina fashion, as they had become stuck together.

now i and the house stink of fags and i’m no better off for it…

never counted myself as a smoker. always gone through phases of a month or so of the occasional fag at work (and only at work) and then two or three months of not bothering.

going to do an hour on the turbo trainer for my sins…..

pointless post, but needed to vent.

shredder
    Free Member

Have emailed you TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

freddyg
    Free Member

Thanks for the info T’Artist.

I wandered into my local shop to speak to a couple of real humans about my experience to date.

The first thing they noted was I was drawing on the thing like a cigarette. Slowed me right down and this help. Secondly, with this type of e-cig, they suggested a slight pull on it before I press the button – to prime the atomiser/wick/burny thingy. This also helped. Thirdly, they let me try a few different juices. Massive difference!

The stock menthol supplied with the kit was really unpleasant. I tried about a dozen (and ended up off my face in the process) and settled on three to buy – Totally Tropical (by The Alchemists Cupboard), Spearmint (by Hangsen) and Caramel-Cappuchino (by Chefs Vapours). All very different, but all very, very nice. They had another couple of samples I wanted, but only had them in either really strong or 0mg – Orange Tic-Tac and Cinnamon. I’m picking them up next week.

Any other suppliers / flavours worth trying? I quite like the citrus ones and would really like a strong menthol – one that gives you a really strong menthol flavour. Not keen on the sweet / puddingy ones.

I bought a packet of 10 cigarettes yesterday, as a bit of an experiment. I couldn’t finish the first one as the taste was vile.

EDIT: I’ve also ordered a variable voltage battery and may consider upgrading to a Protank at a later date.

seosamh77
    Free Member

3 weeks, 1 day here. 🙂 (last weeks test still doesn’t count! :D)

LoCo
    Free Member

Still non here either, noticably quicker on the bike with very little riding since before giving up and loads more energy, main thing is constantly resisting the temptation to stuff my face 👿

therag
    Free Member

6 days done & finding it easier than expected so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Any smokers giving up?’ is closed to new replies.