Any smokers giving up?

Home Forum Chat Forum Any smokers giving up?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • Any smokers giving up?
  • Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

How you getting on? After a bit of a stop start January, just hit 10 days without a ciggarette! On the ecig, but cut that down to 6mg/0.6% already, be heading onto the 0mg after next week I think. 🙂

Anybody having any success?

Jamie

8 years here.

Modern quitters never had it so good with these new fangled e-cigs. In my day it was rancid chewing gum, and cold turkeys.

….and don’t get me started on the this internet thingy everyone is talking about!

p.s well done.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Modern quitters never had it so good with these new fangled e-cigs

I’d agree with that, makes it really easy, only reason it didn’t work last time for me was going on a 4 day stag do a month after trying to give up(I’ve was off them all of last March until then).

I’ll not be making the same mistake this time, no bevvy for the next few months!

Gave up on Boxing Day and apart from being a bit grumpy at the start feel great. Started running regularly immediately which has nearly killed me but has countered the massive food intake increase with the return of my appetite.

Lasted till early Feb last year before a night out on the beer did for me so this year been a bit of a hermit so far.

Not using anything other than old fashioned will power, I can’t stand the smell of those electronic fags and it looks like your trying to smoke a parker pen

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

E cigs are bloody marvellous things. You can still annoy puritanical, po faced health nazi’s, while simultaneously feeding your addiction, but without getting cancer! Whats not to like?! 😀

I packed in at the end of November, so coming up to 2 months off the filthy things. I’ve packed in in the past, but always felt like I hadn’t really packed in. Just sort of put it on hold for a bit. Thats different this time. I honestly haven’t felt like a ‘proper’ cig even once. In fact I’ve hit the tipping point where I’m starting to find the smell of them absolutely minging. I can’t wait to become all ‘born again’ and get all self-righteous and turn my nose up in disgust at smokers

cbmotorsport

Stick with it. Best thing I ever did. I know everybody says that, but it’s true. I can’t tell you how nice it is not to be a slave to ciggies. I am free. Just remember that each time you crack and smoke, it sets you back to the beginning again, and all that giving up time befoe is wasted.

Distract yourself if you get a really bad urge. Do a press up, slap yourself, go outside, drink water, whatever…it soon passes. You’ll never regret not having one, but you will regret having one. 🙂

_tom_

I’m not really a “proper” smoker just the odd one or two a day normally when driving home from work but I’ve decided to stop this habit as well as I don’t even really enjoy it much any more. Hopefully I’m not that addicted and won’t have any bad withdrawal symptoms! Have found the best way is to just force myself not to buy filters or papers now I’ve ran out, and since packaged cigarrettes are disgusting in comparison to rollies I won’t bother if anyone offers.

Jamie

*note to self – add casual smokers to the petty annoyances thread*

8)

grum

E cigs are bloody marvellous things. You can still annoy puritanical, po faced health nazi’s, while simultaneously feeding your addiction, but without getting cancer! Whats not to like?!

I’ve never smoked cigarettes but I do like ‘space fags’. Orange tic-tac flavour, mmmm…

khani

Still smoke free, Absinthe e-liquid FTW, and as Binners said, fags smell foul now and I feel miles better..

grum

khani – sorry to single you out as some kind of Muslamic spokesman but is smoking frowned upon like alcohol and other drugs?

deadlydarcy

After battling on a stop/start basis for years after a major failure (had been off them around 18 months, then went back on when they got banned in indoor public places 😆 ), I gave the ecigs a go in June of last year. Haven’t smoked a proper fag since. What’s not to like – clean, odour free, tar free, and most of all, you look really cool smoking them. 8)

khani

I have no idea, I’m only half a Muslamic swan, my mum was COE and they decided to agree to disagree and leave us out of it..
    I’d love a ray gun though..

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

You should read this book .. Allen Carr “The easy way to stop smoking” then you can stop with the e fags too…

khani

I like my ecig, it makes me look cool..

LoCo

Yes, have just had 2 weeks off with a nasty throat infection (Quinsey) had stopped a few weeks before (patches), have no wish to smoke every again, disgusting, really annoyed did it for so long, once fully recovered from illness training will start again as have a quite a few races lined up 😈

therag

Tried giving up just over 2 years ago with the help of a thread on here, lasted about 8 weeks. Going to give it another go soon.

grum

Unsurprisingly according to Jamie’s link ‘there is a diversity of Islamic opinion about cigarette smoking.’

khani and darcy – pics of you looking cool smoking vape please.

freddyg

I’ve literaly just bought a second copy of the Allen Carr book….

I bought my first one about 9 years ago following a recommendation on here. Read it and stopped without a problem. I was quite evangelistic about it and convinced about a dozen colleagues and friends to give it a go. They did and are still smoke free.

That was until December 2012. Stress, anxiety and depression coupled with a few beers and a mate who nipped outside for a smoke put paid to that. I had one with him and thought ‘it’ll be okay’. Then bought a pack of 10, which lasted a couple of days. Now I’m up to 10-15 a day and f***ing hate myself for it.

Going to read the book again as I know it worked last time.

deadlydarcy

Have you got the time to fap all day grum? 🙂

khani

Sorry, that’s so not cool…

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

freddyg – Member
    I’ve literaly just bought a second copy of the Allen Carr book….

So what’s in that book? I’ve never read it, but I don’t really see how a book, that I imagine states the obvious, could really help you?

Far as I’m concerned giving up is down to one thing, personal choice. I smoke because I enjoy it, now I’m giving it up as the effects of it are beginning to outweigh the enjoyment(though I haven’t given up weed mind, grass joints are just too fun! :D).

freddyg

So what’s in that book?

There be magic!

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

It’s difficult to pinpoint the defining point in the Alan Carr book but it changes the way you think about smoking and it worked for me 6 years ago. Although stupidly I relapsed last year and had one or 2 when pissed but never became hooked again I could just switch it on or off at will becoming a casual smoker having one with a pint or 6 when pissed…
    After the lung cancer thread on here recently and a friend suffering the same fate it’s time to stop it for good so I’m re-reading the book.. I got it off ebay for £2 second hand.

grum

Have you got the time to fap all day grum?

Not all day – still need to do my tax return! 😯

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

freddyg – been there, done that. I think its something you have to do. If you’re smoking 10-15 a day, then I’d recommend going for an e-cig. It makes things soooooooooo much easier!!! Enjoy the same things about smoking without killing yourself 😀

And you might end up looking as cool as Bravisimo. Actually… you won’t. Us mere mortals can but dream

Premier Icon momo
    Subscriber

I stopped in July last year with the help of Champix, feel so much better for it both health wise and financially!

Premier Icon shredder
    Subscriber

Want to stop now.
    Want a ecig kit any advice as to what to get and where from.
    What are people using
    Thanks

khani

I got This one and it’s been really good.
    If you use the code NY2014 you get 25% off but I think it runs out tomorrow..

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

shredder – Member
    Want to stop now.
    Want a ecig kit any advice as to what to get and where from.
    What are people using
    Thanks

been using jacvapour, dunno how to compare against the rest as it’s the only one I’ve tried, works for me anyhow.

freddyg

Binners – I know you’re right about the e-cig. I hadn’t bothered investing before as I was able to stop anytime I wanted…. yeah, right.

In the link posted above, how long would 10ml of liqud last?

deadlydarcy

still need to do my tax return!

Finished mine the day before yesterday – that’s 3 days earlier than I’ve done it for the last 10 years.

Premier Icon shredder
    Subscriber

Thanks
    And if starting on these what strength of fluid should I be looking at ?

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

freddyg – Member

In the link posted above, how long would 10ml of liqud last?really depends how much you vape, and how much you refill, I refill min constantly as if you don’t you get a burning sensation after a while. I’m also vaping more or less constantly just now, so 10ml, will last about a week, but will last longer the more i go on and start cutting down on the vaping(especially when i go on to 0 mg). reckon I’ll be able to stretch out one of those 10mls for about 4 weeks soon enough.

btw loads of cartomisers though, I find they tend to go done.

and buy at least 2 batteries.

deadlydarcy

Depends on how much you smoke I guess. 18mg (or sometimes referred to as 1.8%) is probably a good place to start.

khani

Depends how much you smoke but 1.8% is a good start,
    Edit.. Wot he ^^^ said

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

deadlydarcy – Member
    Depends on how much you smoke I guess. 18mg (or sometimes referred to as 1.8%) is probably a good place to start.

I started on 12 this time. felt decent enough, was smoking about 15 a day.

mooman

If you cant seem to give them up. There may be a Legit reason

steve-g

Today is day 13 of my zero benson adventure.

I’m on the e-cigs, the thing with those I think is to buy a proper one, not one thats been made to look like a cigarette. Mine is from Vapes4you.

I started on the 18mg liquid, but I’m down to the 11mg now. Alternating between “smoking” flavour for with my coffee, or apple flavour the rest of the time.

10ml of liquid would probably last me 10 days at my current rate I think.

The turnaround in fitness has been pretty amazing, its been worth about 40 seconds a mile when running already

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Any smokers giving up?’ is closed to new replies.