Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • Any smokers giving up?
  • emsz
    Free Member

I’ve given up giving up. I now have “times where I need to have a ciggie” and times when I have a stern word with myself “Amelia, these are disgusting, stop it you stupid cow”

Right now I need fags, sorry

binners

freddy – I was smoking exactly the same as you – 15 a day. More if I was having a few beers.

I got a Tornado T kit, which I’m loving. Get something proper like that, not the daft ones made to look like cigs

I started on the 18mg, and I’ve dropped that to the 14mg now. Exactly like Steve-g I find 10 ml of liquid is doing me about 10 days. So thats the princely sum of about £3.50 a week. Cheeper than 10 fags! Result! I now find that I don’t touch it at all during the day, and just use it in the evening. Like Steve said, the difference its made on the climbs while out on the bike is amazing. I’m still fat and slow, but theres no wheezing any more 😀

Get yourself one fella. You won’t regret it. When it comes to packing in the proper fags, they’re a revelation

Good luck!

freddyg
    Free Member

Cheers Binners. My finger is hovering over the order button now.

Regarding refils, do you need to use their own branded stuff or can you mix and match?

There was mention of spare batteries too – anything else consumable in them? I know precisely nowt about them 🙂

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m posting from my phone…can someone put up a link to the “Anyone using those electronic ciggies” thread. Lots of good info there freddyg.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m still fat and slow, but theres no wheezing any more

I’ve only been cycling to work recently, short 6 miles a days, but I do find I’m getting faster each day! 🙂

btw regards to flavours, I’d avoid the tabacco flavoured ones, they are pretty disgusting. I use the menthol myself.

binners

If you get the Tornado T, then you get a USB charger. My battery is presently plugged into my keyboard.

Its worth looking if you’ve got any shops locally. This is the one near me The e-cig store. The guy who runs it is a top bloke and advised me on the best e-cig to get.

With refills its good to try a few and see what you fancy. I love the apple. And the coffee is quite nice too.

You can tell theres a good shop nearby by the amount of people using them when you nip for a pint. Nobody in my local smokes any more. They’re all using e-cigs. So theres plenty discussion to be had around flavours and accessories. Typical blokes, eh? 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

100% of the people who’ve posted on this thread about the magic Alan Carr book have both started smoking again.

Mmmm, not a statistic they will want to print on the back of the book 😉

freddyg
    Free Member

That’s true nealglover. I have restarted again, but an 8 year period between stopping and starting isn’t bad for my initial £5 investment, is it?

What alternative method do you suggest?

nealglover
    Free Member

What alternative method do you suggest?

You will have to buy my Magic book to find out.

freddyg
    Free Member

Cool. Linky please?

rogermoore

I quit on 10th Jan this year for the umpteenth time, using the compressed lozenges as had most success with these in the past. Had a lapse last weekend as was on a bit of a drinking session, but got back on the mints Monday morning and been OK without them this week.

Whilst I understand people avoiding going out in the first weeks/months to avoid the temptation – I’ve always found this just puts it off and eventually you’ll need to face up to it.

Also, on ‘giving up on giving up’ don’t torture yourself over it – if you lapse or even decide you wanna smoke for a while it doesn’t mean it is forever. In the past when I have had short periods back on the fags (i.e. been on stag do etc.) just think of it as a break and start back on your chosen NRT as soon as you feel you can.

Well done to all those who are having success with quitting, chin up and keep trying those who ain’t.

RM.

66deg
    Free Member

I can’t wait to become all ‘born again’ and get all self-righteous and turn my nose up in disgust at smokers

Sadley this is also temporary , i gave up 6 years ago and basked in self righteous holyier than thou BS for a good while but it seems that goes away as well ,now i am left with nothing.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

100% of the people who’ve posted on this thread about the magic Alan Carr book have both started smoking again.

Mmmm, not a statistic they will want to print on the back of the book

I read (well, listened) to the book and successfully went cold turkey about 4 years ago. Having said that, even reading this thread has made me want a smoke so much. The sad part is, you still feel like you’re losing something, not gaining your health, money etc.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Also, on ‘giving up on giving up’ don’t torture yourself over it – if you lapse or even decide you wanna smoke for a while it doesn’t mean it is forever.

absolutely, just because you have 1 cigarette, doesn’t mean you have to have 10,000! :mrgreen:

john_drummer
    Free Member

what year are we on? 2014?

16 years & counting. I got up one morning in early ’98 and decided I didn’t want to do it anymore. that was it.

no patches, gum, e-cigs, nothing but a healthy dose of will power & a large helping of cold turkey

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Helpful tab rejection facts :

Cold turkey is a good substitute for tabs, its just protein, cake is bad, probably worse than tabs !!!

Cold turkey is available without prescription but so is cake !

Jamie
    Free Member

no patches, gum, e-cigs, nothing but a healthy dose of will power & a large helping of cold turkey

Likewise. Not sure if it was because all the options on the market were so bloody foul.

It does sound like caveat city to say you have to be in the right frame of mind to quit, but you really do.

….I also had the benefit of being able to drink, and not have my smoking guard drop. The downside to this, as at the time you could smoke in pubs, my left hand had a pint, and my right hand, instead of a tab, also had a pint. I was drunk for most of January till I stopped compensating.

nealglover
    Free Member

Cool. Linky please?

I told you, it’s magic.

If you need it, it will find you.

Joking aside, whatever works is great.

It was just a tongue in cheek dig really, It’s just that the Alan Carr book tends to generate quite evangelical “quitters” who sometimes can’t see that there are other options (e-cigs/lozenges/patches etc)

Personally I’m “clean” Five years in March, using e-cigs from day 1, and never wanted another cigarette, no cravings at all ! Now using VERY weak or 0% nicotine juice.

Still use e-cigs as I like them. Never use “smoke” flavours. Always homemade juice flavoured with with menthol crystals

(Not had a cold/flu/cough/bunged up nose etc in 5 years either.)

Del

Now using VERY weak or 0% nicotine juice.

no cravings at all !

is this TIC too?

pymwymis
    Free Member

Having read this before posting (it took ages to type on my phone), it sounds a bit zealous. But it’s well meant and if it helps anyone here then that’s all good.

If you really want to pack fags in completely I can heartily recommend Champix.

You can get it on prescription from your local anti-smoking clinic.

Simply put, it shuts off the receptor in the brain that’s goes “Mmmm nicotine, yummy !”

It’s a 3 month course by the way – and 3 months support where you genuinely don’t crave is brilliant and helps after the course finishes – it breaks the habit side of things, quite apart from the nicotine dependency side of things. The habit was at least as much of a problem for me.

I tried to “break” it, not believing that it could be that straight forward but trying a fag part way through the course)was about as nice as smoking a burning twig. I simply saw no point and just put them out after a drag or 2. Tried this several times with same result, and for me, having proved some sort of point, it really put me off even bothering again – I don’t feel that I missed anything cos all my experiences with fags once I was on Champix were pointless. This bit was really important for me though I can’t really explain why. You simply get nothing from smoking – even that first Marlboro Red in the morning.

When you start on Champix they will tell you to carry on smoking as usual and you will stop
    Around day 10 – amazingly they were right (I tried to “break ” the drug after this).

I’ve been off fags for 3 years.

Caveat, not all people get on with Champix. More than one person I know felt it made them absent minded / distracted (to the point where they stopped after a couple of weeks) but if you do get on with it (and you actually want to stop), you will stop and you will not believe how easy it was.

tom200

Sweets and strava are quite good, although my teeth have suffered!

ricky1
    Free Member

Gave up last May,I was a very heavy smoker,I worked out my day around smoking,it ruled my life and I’m glad I stopped,after reading Allan carr’s “how to stop smoking” I quit without any e cigs or patches,gum or hypnotherapy,I am a firm believer in that if you want to quit you have to quit nicotine because nicotine is the addictive drug that keeps you smoking therefore cigs,patches and gum just keeps you hooked,I highly reccomended you read the book,you can get it on amazon for about £7.00.

crapjumper
    Free Member

I went on the patches just shy of 10 years ago and it took me about 8 weeks to stop . Best thing I ever did ! Although my missus has got even more of my money now to spend on Shite

nealglover
    Free Member

is this TIC too?

“TIC” ?

hora
    Free Member

I quit in 1999. I read recently about smoking and Pancreatic cancer. Really nasty. Sadly for oldschool heavy smokers when they really want to quit its too late. Plenty in their 50’s diagnosed with cancer.

For anyone in your 20/30’s still smoking you are idiots. All your life you’ve known its horrific for your health. So you need an incentive? First step is your an addict. Like an Alcoholic.

No excuse for our generation. We KNOW that its bad.

irc

I’m stopped for around 14 years now after reading the Allen Carr book. I didn’t follow his method exactly but found the book useful.

I had tried gum and lozenges before without long term success. I went cold turkey after reading Carr’s book. Carr’s tip to view withdrawal symptoms as a good thing helped. The idea being that the symptoms are your body curing itself.

As the book cost the same as a packet of fags why not try it?

seosamh77
    Free Member

No excuse for our generation. We KNOW that its bad.

In fairness, even pensioners don’t have an excuse. It would hardly be a shock to them that smoking was bad!

binners

seosamh77
    Free Member

binners – Member

Are pensioner imune to the last 30/40 years of smoking is bad for you campaigns? :mrgreen:

My granda chucked it in the 60s so even then it wasn’t unknown. (Plus the above ad is more or less a reaction to health concerns.)

nealglover
    Free Member

As the book cost the same as a packet of fags why not try it?

Read my next post after the one you quoted.

binners

seosamh77 – We all know its mad. You just keep yourself in denial though, don’t you

LA LA LAAAAAAA I’M NOT LISTENING!!!!!!!

I was talking to a friend of a friend last night who’s using the e-cigs to pack in. He said he started smoking when he was 30? Now that I just don’t get. You start smoking when you’re a cocky little shit, who thinks they know everything, while you’re at school. You don’t do it when you’ve developed something resembling common sense

seosamh77
    Free Member

seosamh77 – We all know its mad. You just keep yourself in denial though, don’t you

LA LA LAAAAAAA I’M NOT LISTENING!!!!!!!

I was talking to a friend of a friend last night who’s using the e-cigs to pack in. He said he started smoking when he was 30? Now that I just don’t get. You start smoking when you’re a cocky little shit, who thinks they know everything, while you’re at school. You don’t do it when you’ve developed something resembling common sense

Yip, kinda delude yourself into think it’ll not effect you, which tbh for the first 10/15 years of smoking, it doesn’t really all that much. It’s only over the last few years I’ve noticed myself wheezing and stuff which is pretty much why I’m giving up now. Essentially, now I’ve grown up a little(I’m 36! :D)I’ve realised, i’m not immortal! :mrgreen:

Agree with starting in your 30s that’s nuts, though i’ve a mate who is 45 and has started smoking flavoured pipes a years or 2 ago, mental, for what reason I have no idea, not like he smokes weed or anything….

hora
    Free Member

The scary (and very) sad thing is we as humans think we are invincible when we are in the flush of youth. When our children are hitting the interesting years thats when the nasty effects of smoking kick in.

Do you want to drive round with an Oxygen tank at hand, lots of medication and/or be told the news that you have the C word and your children are crying/numb?

Come on. Life doesn’t end at 50. You might live on for another 15-20yrs with a very poor quality of life due to smoking. That scares me more than sudden death.

Smokers jovially call ‘us’ Nazi’s. In reality its smokers who stopped and then thought ‘what the **** have we been doing all these years’. Its a shock when you have this moment. Then you know you wont smoke again ever.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I quit at New Year, so far so good. I was a very heavy smoker, so cigarettes had stopped working for me. It didn’t seem that hard, once I realised that mostly I didn’t feel very different to how I’d felt when I was smoking. I had turned into this guy:

“Paradoxically, he no longer wanted to give up smoking: what he wanted to do was take up smoking. Not so much to fill the little gaps between cigarettes with cigarettes (there wouldn’t be time, anyway) or to smoke two cigarettes at once. It was more that he felt the desire to smoke a cigarette even when he was smoking a cigarette. The need was and wasn’t being met…”

From “The Information” by Martin Amis. My italics.

binners

Come on. Life doesn’t end at 50. You might live on for another 15-20yrs

I won’t. I’ve decided that on my next birthday I’m going to strap twelve tons of TNT to myself and ride a live shark into an active volcano

D0NK

My mrs has started again, any tips for getting her to quit?

Working on the knowledge that she stopped for several years when trying for and having children I figure she will stop for other people but not for herself so my masterplan is….

as of next week everytime she smokes a fag in my presence I’m going to smoke one too so she’d better damn well give up before I get addicted.

Told her this last night, she didn’t think I was serious.

rogermoore

as of next week everytime she smokes a fag in my presence I’m going to smoke one too so she’d better damn well give up before I get addicted.

Maybe instead of this you could chuck the same amount of money spent on fags each day/week in a sealed jar so she can see how much it costs?
    RM.

D0NK

My money or hers? and do I get to spend it or does she?

Lady: Do you smoke?
    Guy: Yes I do.
    Lady: How many packs a day?
    Guy: 3 packs.
    Lady: How much per pack?
    Guy: $10.00 per pack.
    Lady: And how long have you been smoking?
    Guy: 15 years
    Lady: So 1 pack is $10.00 and you have been smoking 3 packs a day which puts your spending per month at $900. In 1 year, it would have been $10,800. Correct?
    Guy: Correct.
    Lady: If 1 year you spend $10,800, not accounting for inflation, the past 15 years puts your spending total at $162,000. Correct?
    Guy: Correct.
    Lady: Do you know if you hadn’t smoke, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 15 years, you could have by now bought a Ferrari?
    Guy: Oh. Do you smoke?
    Lady: No.
    Guy: Then where’s your Ferrari?

😉
    Does anyone do a computerised graphic representation of lungs slowly filling up with tar? coz TBH I’m more bothered about the health reasons rather than the money.

failedengineer

I’d like to know, from an unbiased medical person, just how much harm my one or two tabs a month (and a small pouch of Golden Virginia during a 2 week holiday, once a year) is doing …..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Any smokers giving up?’ is closed to new replies.