• This topic has 388 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 389 total)
  • Another Jordan Peterson video for you – speaking at the Oxford Union
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Agree with footlaps.

He seems to be attempting to use “science” to justify sexism, in much the same way people tried to use science to justify racism or even genocide… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism

tinribz
    Free Member

Yes that pesky ‘science’ with its evidence and facts. 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

dissonance

The level of hate on here and from other places is more than a bit odd and sumwhat disturbing.

If you want a proper demonstration of hate I would suggest you look at some of those holding him on a pedestal.

nickc

But there have been plenty of studies done

Sexual selection in animals is a notoriously difficult discipline to begin with. Add in thousands of years of culture on top and you’ve significantly reduced your chances of coming to simplistic “facts” like the reason women wear makeup.

Anyone who tells you simple “truths” is probably willfully misleading you, or making it up to suit an agenda

bikebouy
    Free Member

The level of hate on here and from other places is more than a bit odd and sumwhat disturbing.

If you want a proper demonstration of hate I would suggest you look at some of those holding him on a pedestal.

This +1

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d obviously agree, but why sink to their level, try and be better. Which I’d guess is what Peterson would say. I’d imagine he’s more embarrassed and annoyed about the wackjobs than anyone else.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Basic rule: Follow the money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d imagine he’s more embarrassed and annoyed about the wackjobs than anyone else.

He still takes the money without question

tjagain

If he was worries about the nutjobs following him he would stop pandering to them

But he revels in the adulation and the controversy plus of course the money.

orangespyderman

I’d imagine he’s more embarrassed and annoyed about the wackjobs than anyone else.

Then you’d think he’d spend more of his time voicing that opinion, rather than just ignoring the issue.  Especially given that he’d not usually shy about telling people what he thinks…

binners

When he does occasionally deny that he’s deliberately nodding to the incel lot or being misogynistic, he has that air about him like Putin saying he absolutely, definitely didn’t send anyone to Salisbury to bump anyone off

All that’s missing is a Ronaldo style wink to the camera.

He’s a proper smug ****! And he knows exactly what he’s doing.

taxi25
    Free Member

Then you’d think he’d spend more of his time voicing that opinion, rather than just ignoring the issue.

I’d agree, I was probably being naive about his concern over the abuse directed at his detractors. But it’s not common for any person or orginization to do much more than put out a blanket statement abhoring such abuse. Political parties are prime examples.

dissonance

I’d obviously agree, but why sink to their level, try and be better.

Apart from it really isnt the same level is it? It is a tad false equivalence.

Which I’d guess is what Peterson would say

Why imagine? If he did really think that and wasnt fussed about the rather large amounts of cash rolling in he could stop being so vague and come out repeatedly and unambiguously that he is opposed to the Incel and other nutters.

PrinceJohn

Oh look a massively white privileged male, discussing with other white privileged males about how to keep the masses from gaining a 10th of what white privilege has got them.

rene59
    Free Member

It’s great that we can generalize about white men and make assumptions about them based on their race. Also we can hold the entire white male population accountable for the actions of a minority.

Just like we can with black people. Hmmn.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s great that we can generalize about white men and make assumptions about them based on their race.

Where would that be?

taxi25
    Free Member

he could stop being so vague and come out repeatedly and unambiguously that he is opposed to the Incel and other nutters.

When does anyone ever do that though. The abuse surrounding him flows both ways, who’s speaking out against the abuse coming from the left ? Ultimately were all responsible for our own actions. I doubt anything he could say would make much difference, and it wouldn’t fit in with his take responsibility, stand up for yourself message.

P.s I’m no Peterson fan, I only heard about him on here and was curious as to why some people had got their nickers in a twist.

Overall I find his message quite positive but with some cringeworthy moments. I can see how he’s upset some on the left. But so what, he’s not a politician or anyone who has control over anyone’s life but his own. You can follow his veiws with interest or ignore, perhaps the latters best if he offends.

dissonance

When does anyone ever do that though

Well I would if I had those Incel fruitcakes quoting me.

The abuse surrounding him flows both ways, who’s speaking out against the abuse coming from the left ?

Sorry which “left” is happily dredging through his word salad to find similarly nice messages as the rabid right?

and it wouldn’t fit in with his take responsibility, stand up for yourself message.

Aside from listen to him get asked about pretty much anything controversial. He dodges and dives like nobodies business.  He is an amazing case of projection

You can follow his veiws with interest or ignore, perhaps the latters best if he offends.

The only interesting thing about it is how he keeps being treated like a great sage by certain communities. Everytime I check to see if he has improved and is putting forward a coherent argument I am disappointed. I am not sure whether it is simply he cant or whether it is that he does have a clear message but chooses to mask it as a method of deflecting criticism.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>taxi25
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

The abuse surrounding him flows both ways, who’s speaking out against the abuse coming from the left ?

On the right, he inspires misogyny and hate crimes, and makes excuses for their terrorism. From the left, he inspires harsh language, and blames them for the actions of the right. Another false equivalence.

binners

The only interesting thing about it is how he keeps being treated like a great sage by certain communities.

He’s generally treated as a sage by some pretty unpleasent nutters with some very dubious attitudes, because they quote him to justify their morally reprihensable behavior

I am not sure whether it is simply he cant or whether it is that he does have a clear message but chooses to mask it as a method of deflecting criticism……

Northwind

Incidentally, I edited my last post because having written it, I realised it was unclear and was likely to be misinterpreted in good faith. Obviously I should have learned from Peterson and waited til someone did so, then called them stupid.

vazaha

Ultimately it comes down to this – is this really the best they can do?

Then they have lost.

Accommodating their losses will take tact.

It is time to break bread.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well that makes sense……

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Still waiting for a fan (or anyone) to answer even one of my 4 questions about JPs ‘cure’ for the Toronto killer.  I went through it wth geetee on the last thread and ended up sorely frustrated and then it all got utterly derailed by threadjam.

I want some resolution, in 4k.  1040 will do.

kerley
    Free Member

Ultimately it comes down to this – is this really the best they can do?

Then they have lost.

Accommodating their losses will take tact.

It is time to break bread.

+1

tjagain

Malvernrider

I very much doubt you will.  Its tlike brexit.  When asked to explain with logic all you get is slogans and ranting

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Geetee.  I think he has serious issues and have been told by a couple of folk to lay off him because of this.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My 4 questions were to the room.  I have no beef with the OP.

Back on topic – what the hell is this ‘debating’ strategy?  Pseudo-science? Quackery?  Or does he actually have a metaphysical and deep point?  I think not but am open to convincing evidence if anyone wants to step up.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Geetee. I think he has serious issues and have been told by a couple of folk to lay off him because of this.

Don’t bother on my account buddy – I have no more issues than the next person and am very happy with who I am and what I’ve achieved in life. I have a wonderful family, two amazing boys, there is nothing I would change about my life. I hold no grievance against you either – the fact that I really like what Jordan Peterson has to say just makes me, well, normal I guess.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the fact that I really like what Jordan Peterson has to say just makes me, well, normal I guess.

Or the minority, if that makes you feel normal then good for you. Just don’t expect everyone else to be taken in by him.

sirromj

So I guess you’re all going to Glasgow to see him speak then?

somafunk

the fact that I really like what Jordan Peterson has to say just makes me, well, normal I guess.

No matter how i phrase this it’s gonna sound inflamatory but it’s genuinely not to be taken that way.

Jorden Peterson is a charlatan, a fraud, a shyster, an opportunist, a quack..etc…etc…

He’s nothing more than the modern day social media equivalent of a snake oil salesman at a local country fair who will take your 5 shillings in exchange for a wondrous cure-all elixir.

Don’t be taken in by him, examine the discussions by those who decry his meaningless techno waffle before you declare him to be the new messiah.

theboatman
    Free Member

Self reported normal, happy guy (who others may have suggested has issues) repeatly promotes rape’y mysoginist charlatan. I’m sure none of us has come across any similar scenario’s … ever.

davosaurusrex

Interesting that you have two boys geetee, I can’t help but wonder if your opinion on Jordan Peterson would be different if you had a daughter?

binners

He tells a certain type of person what they want to hear. As these endless fan boy threads, all from the same person, so consistently demonstrate.

Saying Geetee has ‘issues’ is being incredibly diplomatic. The fact that his constant evangelising of the rapey shyster he thinks is ‘normal’ probably tells you everything you need to know

Like TJ i’ve also also been told to lay off him in the past. Also like TJ, I actually feel sorry for him. He seems to be endlessly seeking validation for a really really unhealthy attitude too, and completely screwed up relationship with the opposite sex, despite his endless protestations.

Ceaselessly promoting this sexist, misogynistic cod-science claptrap is anything but ‘normal’, and the fact that you can’t even see that is tragic

dissonance

Curious that you assume that really liking what he says makes someone normal.

Leaving that aside. Can you give one nice simple example of one of the things he says that you like and why?

Bonus points if you can make that video Malvern Rider linked to sound sensible.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The fact that his constant evangelising of the rapey shyster he thinks is ‘normal’ probably tells you everything you need to know

I am not sure what you’re trying to insinuate there Binners but you’re coming awfully close to liable by suggesting I’m a rapist or think rape is acceptable. The same for Peterson.

You know nothing about me at all and yet you making those vile comments about my relationships says all I need to know about you. You’re a reprehensible human being Binners.

binners

Whatever….

I’m not accusing you of anything other than gullibility.

I would, however, question your need to constantly eulogise on here about a man who clearly holds little appeal to anyone but yourself. How many threads is this now? And you get the same response every time. Why do you bother? There must be better, preferably less public, ways of dealing with your issues

sbob
    Free Member

Here’s a thought; why don’t one of the Peterson detractors simply show geetee some nice clear unambiguous evidence of their claims so we can *put this one to bed once and for all?

🙂

*With its permission, of course.

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Here’s a thought; why don’t one of the Peterson detractors simply show geetee some nice clear unambiguous evidence of their claims

Well plenty of vids posted of his pseudo science, claptrap, conclusion before evidence based thinking. I don’t think posting them again will change geetee’s mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 389 total)

The topic ‘Another Jordan Peterson video for you – speaking at the Oxford Union’ is closed to new replies.