• This topic has 388 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 389 total)
  • Another Jordan Peterson video for you – speaking at the Oxford Union
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I don’t think posting them again will change geetee’s mind.

I am by definition an open minded individual (I score 97th percentile on ‘openness to experience’) but I have no idea what it is you want me to change my mind about?

I never simply accept anything anyone says just because they say it. There are a few things that Peterson has said I don’t agree with but the vast majority of it I do.

So what is it you want me to change m mind about?

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s a right wing evangelical christian bellend who believes children are born with Original Sin and have a huge capacity for Evil so you should beat the sin out of them. Don’t need know anymore.

kerley
    Free Member

I would, however, question your need to constantly eulogise on here about a man who clearly holds little appeal to anyone but yourself. How many threads is this now? And you get the same response every time. Why do you bother?

The only reason can be trolling.  The responses are as expected yet the subject keeps being raised with the same responses.  Any new threads with Jordan Peterson in the title should be deleted or merged with previous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what is it you want me to change m mind about?

In all his discussion about monogamy and violence he seems to forget completely about domestic violence. That is a huge gap.

In plenty of arguments shown here he is fitting his research around his conclusions.

legend
    Free Member

I score 97th percentile on ‘openness to experience’

*signs up geetee to get raped and beaten*

rene59
    Free Member

In plenty of arguments shown here he is fitting his research around his conclusions.

Has he got an STW account? He’d fit right in.

sbob
    Free Member

Well plenty of vids posted of his pseudo science, claptrap, conclusion before evidence based thinking.

Are there?

Take the last vid posted. Eleven and a half minutes to point out that he said one thing in one lecture and said a slightly different thing in another lecture. Oh, and that we don’t need to cite evidence any more.

Hardly compelling…

Klunk
    Free Member

he about as compelling as Uri Geller. come to think of it I’ve never seen them together.

mefty
    Free Member

I think Jordan Peterson is pretty interesting and I think the fact that 8,000 go to his debates is a positive thing.  Frankly, those people who are continuously having a pop at Geetee are saying much more about what is lacking in their lives than his.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Frankly, those people who are continuously having a pop at Geetee are saying much more about what is lacking in their lives than his.

Which is? Just looking for answers in the holes in the JP stuff, loads of questions asked in this thread all mostly ignored or vague wolly handwaving answers only.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anybody who finds Jordan Peterson “interesting” is sending out pretty clear signals about what is lacking in his (I mean, it is mostly “his” isn’t it?) life.

binners

Always seeking wisdom….

ransos
    Free Member

Frankly, those people who are continuously having a pop at Geetee are saying much more about what is lacking in their lives than his.

Credulity, confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I post videos of JP because I believe he has something important to contribute to our understanding of how things really are (he provides an important counter point to a lot of prevailing and dangerous ideas and orthodox dogma) and believe that exploring ideas through free and open speech is important.

The rabid vitriol these posts generate is mildly amusing but only in their contrast to the rank hypocrisy and ignorance of the posters.

binners

So it’s because, we is all, like, a bit fick that we, like, don’t get his (and yours, obvs) cleverness, n shit?

I am both impressed and confused by big words….

dissonance

The rabid vitriol these posts generate is mildly amusing but only in their contrast to the rank hypocrisy and ignorance of the posters.

Ah yes of course. Its only the enlightened who can understand him.

Couldnt you act as man in the middle and give one nice simple example of one of the things he says that you like and why?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

(he provides an important counter point to a lot of prevailing and dangerous ideas and orthodox dogma)

I know this is a can of worms but which dangerous and prevailing ideas?

Or is logical reason and accepted thinking in a modern world a counterpoint to his dangerous ideas?

PrinceJohn

he provides an important counter point to a lot of prevailing and dangerous ideas and orthodox dogma

You’ve piqued my interest – what are the current prevailing & dangerous ideas and orthodox dogma?

binners

White males are societies real victims in all of this Mike. Especially the ones who, inexplicably (in their own heads) aren’t having to beat them off with a shitty stick

Where’s the humanity, I ask you?

life is just, like, SOOOOOOOOOO not fair!

nickc

he provides an important counter point to a lot of prevailing and dangerous ideas and orthodox dogma

Its not brave or important to suggest that women wear makeup at work to attract a mate.

sbob
    Free Member

Its not brave or important to suggest that women wear makeup at work to attract a mate.

Nope.

They might want to attract other women instead.

Klunk
    Free Member

yeah what the world really needs is another snake oil salesman

binners

Seems to me that he provides a counter to stuff that backward-gazing, middle class white blokes dont like

I wish it was 1950 again. Where everyone knew their place….

gobuchul
    Free Member

Lay off the OP.

He was slapped by a girl.

He has SUFFERED.

sbob
    Free Member

So in six pages has anyone countered anything in the OP’s video?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

sbob

Take the last vid posted. Eleven and a half minutes to point out that he said one thing in one lecture and said a slightly different thing in another lecture. Oh, and that we don’t need to cite evidence any more.

Really? Compare these two statements:

1.  I believe that.  No, I *really* believe that.

2.  I didn’t say that I believed that.

Firstly, would you please explain how you find these statements to be  only ‘slightly different’?

Let’s use them in an imaginary hypothetical scenario:

Statement 1.  I believe that our ancestors landed in spacecrafts and that these are depicted on rock art.  I really believe that.

(Questioner):  When you say that you believe our ancestors landed in spacecrafts and that …

Statement 2:  What IS it with you? I didn’t say that I believe they landed in spacecrafts.  I am speculating that there might be things that we MIGHT know that we don’t know for sure that we know.  It’s difficult to explain…

rene59
    Free Member

Don’t be silly. Why would anyone do that when they can deflect by making up things he hasn’t said. If enough people say it over and over again then it must be true. Welcome to 2018.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t be silly. Why would anyone do that when they can deflect by making up things he hasn’t said. If enough people say it over and over again then it must be true. Welcome to 2018.

I know, his fanbois keep ignoring the questions and keep saying nobody has made a valid comment.

Tough crowd isn’t it.

As a general point how does his views on monogamy and reducing violence account for the domestic violence rates?

sbob
    Free Member

Compare these two statements

He changes

“I really believe that”

to

“I wouldn’t say I believed that I have my suspicions that”

So yes, slightly different. Believes/suspects/thinks, all in the same ball park.

I’m sure if we had people scrutinizing and comparing statements that we had made in the past there would be many a time where such slight differences had occurred.

dissonance

Given the length and how tedious Peterson is still waiting for the OP to provide some relevant highlights/times for discussion. I have listened to him a few times and find him tedious and disingenuous in the extreme. Perhaps he has improved but cant be arsed wasting that time watching it without good reason.

kimbers

well you can debunk his nonsense about lobsters pretty easily

serotonin may be common to both species but trying to justify his human social hierarchy idea on this basis displays a stunning level of ignorance about the hormonal & neurological make up of both species

he’s a quack

https://giphy.com/gifs/L9BR6nx99sgyQ/html5

moose
    Free Member

@dissonance, {in the past} he’s had some interesting view points, but I think now he is fully engulfed in ‘fame’, he’s gone way off the reservation and definitely plays to a crowd. There’s so much he doesn’t speak about, many holes he leaves, maybe because the topic would be a tinderbox, who knows.

He’s basically a soundbite machine.

@mikesmith
    , agreed, I’d like to hear view-point on that, to explore the links between parental abuse/alienation and the potential effects that has on children as they grow into adults. The little research i’ve done indicates there is a link between this and DV, again if people took this stuff seriously and didn’t fall into playing the gender politics game, maybe we could reduce the amount of trauma clueless rents mete out onto their children. OR at least take steps to manage it.

But I fear we’ll just continue the cycle of this kind of shitshow.

kerley
    Free Member

I have listened to him a few times and find him tedious and disingenuous in the extreme. Perhaps he has improved

He hasn’t.  The stuff he rambles on about could be covered in 10 minutes by a decent speaker.  Do his fans pay by the minute…

moose
    Free Member

@kerley, not yet, but when he goes YT premium…

ransos
    Free Member

Instead of feigning offence, why don’t you provide us with a specific claim for discussion?

taxi25
    Free Member

Completely agree, my first post on this was thinking how odd it was that some people got so worked up about him. I still think its odd. I’ve put it down to some on the left’s hysterical hatred of anything that could be construed as right wing. Some of your posts.

Saying Geetee has ‘issues’ is being incredibly diplomatic. The fact that his constant evangelising of the rapey shyster he thinks is ‘normal’ probably tells you everything you need to know

This especially stinks. What exactly is “everything we need to know” binners ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So an hour in, plenty of complaints, still no real answer, think this sums it up.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve put it down to some on the left’s hysterical hatred of anything that could be construed as right wing.

A claim with no evidence offered to support it. Now, who does that remind me of…

rene59
    Free Member

I’ve put it down to some on the left’s hysterical hatred of anything that could be construed as right wing.

This. It’s absurd and I’ll bet it’s driving more people towards the right (or at least away from the left, but since there doesn’t seem to be any centre ground now) than anything else. People really need to wake up and get a grip of themselves.

sbob
    Free Member

As a general point how does his views on monogamy and reducing violence account for the domestic violence rates?

I don’t know what his views on monogamy and reducing violence are, perhaps kerley could give us all a quick synopsis.

Instead of feigning offence, why don’t you provide us with a specific claim for discussion?

So various claims are made with no evidence offered (and the evidence that is turns out to be false) and now you want to be supplied with your own material? Priceless!

So an hour in, plenty of complaints, still no real answer

It was four days ago that I was trying to get some specifics from one of the detractors so don’t hold your breath!

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 389 total)

The topic ‘Another Jordan Peterson video for you – speaking at the Oxford Union’ is closed to new replies.