Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • another crap dangerous day on London's Roads
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Does that mean they can relax, and be less careful, on roads where there isn’t any paint?

no not less careful but car drivers are more aware that they are actually sharing a road.

mrmo
    Free Member

no not less careful but car drivers are more aware that they are actually sharing a road.

I do understand what you are saying, IME the result is us and them, this is my lane, this is your lane. Observation doesn’t improve, and if the road service is bad, you get agro for moving out of “your” lane into “their” lane.

And if you dare to block/adopt primary position/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, the road at a pinch point some drivers take this as an act of war!

brooess
    Free Member

I feel pretty safe riding down an empty road. I feel pretty safe if any overtaking traffic puts a couple of meters between me and them.

But I feel very uncomfortable when traffic passes closely, sticks its nose into a main road that I’m riding along, I feel at risk when drivers tailgate me, lean on their horns when driving behind or scream and shout at me

I can see a very easy solution here – there are rules already defined about all these things but they’re not being enforced.

More Police, arresting people for breaking the law when driving, or at least a proper bollocking, taking cyclists’ complaints seriously, accepting headcam footage etc.

The harrassment of cyclists is beyond belief. I never get as much grief when I’m walking, driving or on the Tube. The problem’s a behavioural one pure and simple and the rule are already in place to deal with it… but for whatever reason the Police don’t seem to be bothered anymore

GDRS

Hmm. Mobile phone use by drivers.

I see this every day, and now the clocks have gone back I can see their faces being lit up by their screens as they sit in traffic.

I have had a couple of close shaves over the years in London – and all have involved drivers using their phones in some capacity.

I would like the Police to get tough on this – not just check phone records after accidents for prosecutions for careless driving / death by careless driving.

That 2 – 3 seconds someone looks down at their smart phone / iphone is the thing I fear the most.

GrahamS

Where did I link riding with common sense to any of the accidents that have taken place?

For me that was at the point where you posted “I apply common sense when I drive or ride on the road” on a thread about the accidents that have taken place.

Don’t know if it was your intent, but to me that implies that cyclists killed in accidents did not apply common sense.

the result is us and them, this is my lane, this is your lane. Observation doesn’t improve, and if the road service is bad, you get agro for moving out of “your” lane into “their” lane.

As if to prove the point, here’s a lovely video of a woman shouting at children for daring to leave the (terrible) cycle lane and take the primary at a major junction:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YYx2OqFyc[/video]

Gary_M
    Free Member

but your “common sense” approach is at times illegal

Sorry but can you give an instance where I’ve suggested illegal riding?

GrahamS you’ve jumped to conclusions.

GrahamS

GrahamS you’ve jumped to conclusions.

Okay, so then you must be saying that those killed did apply common sense and they still go killed? Then what good is common sense?

kimbers

that woman in the audi is just horrible

Gary_M
    Free Member

Okay, so then you must be saying that those killed did apply common sense and they still go killed? Then what good is common sense?

I was referring to a recent experience and as I have no knowledge of the recent incidents highlighted on this thread then I am in no position to comment on them. So I haven’t.

You’re being deliberately argumentative so lets just leave it. Although I’m sure you’ll come back with a smart arse comment.

scaled
    Free Member

Common sense would generally say ride on the pavement unless you’re a confident ‘vehicular cyclist’

GrahamS

You’re being deliberately argumentative demonstrating what I said was crass insensitive victim-blaming so lets just leave it.

Fair enough. 😆

Although I’m sure you’ll come back with a smart arse comment.

Damn straight 🙂

But then I apply common sense when I post on here.

molgrips
    Free Member

My favoured option is better and more training.

I haven’t received a single bit of training on how to ride a bike, nor have I received any training on how to drive around cyclists.

I don’t think I’m unique in this.

GrahamS

Training is available free in some cities, including London:
    http://lcc.org.uk/articles/free-training-from-your-local-council

I think the issue is that most people don’t think they need it or just can’t be arsed (and I’m guilty of that myself).

bigyinn
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

that woman in the audi is just horrible
    She also illustrates perfectly the attitudes people have if we “dare” to stray into “their” lane! And why segregation alone is not the answer and readjusting peoples attitudes is more important than infastructure changes.
    That sort of logic is dangerous and ends up with someone being run off the road (in extreme circumstances)

Muke
    Free Member
    crazy-legs

There was a second bus/cyclist incident in Kennington at almost the same time.

Pic from ITV News website.

🙁 Hope the Kennington guy is OK.

scaled
    Free Member

At least 4 more down this morning – Gloucester road in Bristol (no other vehicle involved) Vauxhall Bridge, millbank and Bow roundabout (Fatality)

Vauxhall bridge and millbank are separate incidents.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-11-13/cyclist-collision-in-vauxhall/

scaled
    Free Member

And a female cyclist has died after a collision with an HGV at Bow Roundabout

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Just seen that news scaled, 3rd death at Bow in 2 years. It really is time for TFL and the mayor to act. Large vehicles do not mix well with vulnerable road users.

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘another crap dangerous day on London's Roads’ is closed to new replies.